PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Creating the fastest character possible

thematgreen
2015-01-30, 05:30 PM
Hey there people...I have been considering making a "For Fun" Character and am trying to decide the best way. I know that this is not going to be optimized, and I am okay with that.

My goal is to make a very very very fast character, movement wise.

I was considering the following:

1: Barbarian for fast movement
2-4: Monk for fast movement
5: Cleric with the travel domain for fast movement
6. Wizard for Expeditious Retreat/Haste/etc

In effect I want to make The Flash

Dysart
2015-01-30, 06:13 PM
Cool, I'm in. What system are we talking? 3.5 or Pathfinder?

Karl Aegis
2015-01-30, 06:19 PM
I'd start with a Horse Totem Barbarian 2 Fiendish Light Warhorse with the epic item Horseshoes of the Peerless Steed from the SRD.

Kurald Galain
2015-01-30, 06:23 PM
Travel domain already gives you Ex Retreat.

I believe that as written, all the fast-movement classes (monk, barb, bloodrager, brawler) stack with each other, crazy though it sounds.

the_david
2015-01-30, 06:24 PM
You can take the Fleet feat.

Be aware that you lose the ability to rage when you become lawful. (Or you could take the Martial Artist archtype for Monk.)

Casting spells to boost your speed is a terrible waste of time in combat. It might work if you want to play a quick messenger.

Remember that speed doesn't effect your combat ability. You can charge a bit farther, and you can circle around your enemies to move into flanking position, but that's pretty much it. I'd prefer a character that could attack with great speed. (High dex, multiple attacks.)

j_spencer93
2015-01-30, 07:10 PM
a third party book has breaking blow, when you charge a target you deal 1 damage for every 10 feet of the charge not used. Not great, but hey.

stack
2015-01-30, 07:19 PM
Parhfinder tag, so I'm thinking synthesist summoner, quadruped form, all your evolutions into extra legs, then casting haste and taking feats. Should be a good start.

j_spencer93
2015-01-30, 07:24 PM
oops missed that, i will now leave and say ignore my post.

Hiro Quester
2015-01-30, 08:49 PM
1 be a druid
2 wildshape into a cheetah
3 sprint: a cheetah can run at 10 times its movement speed (500 feet) when it makes a charge attack (once per hour)
5. Profit.

I know this isn't your aim. But it's worth mentioning.

j_spencer93
2015-01-30, 08:57 PM
does an animorphic cheetah get that ability lol

Feint's End
2015-01-30, 09:06 PM
Parhfinder tag, so I'm thinking synthesist summoner, quadruped form, all your evolutions into extra legs, then casting haste and taking feats. Should be a good start.

That might be the best answer already. The question is only if it's worth losing a few evolution points for dips (barbarian and cleric come to mind).

Kaidinah
2015-01-30, 09:47 PM
If you are psionic (wild talent counts) speed of thought is a great feat.

GAA
2015-01-30, 10:25 PM
I did some stuff, and I can't remember what exactly I used. Monk is not the best option because it's a enhancement bonus, which you can get from other sources. Get fleet for all your feets, ALL OF THEM. You might want to pick up some levels of scout, because you can get fleet as a bonus feet. If you have mythic, use all your bonus feets to pick up fleet, and convert half of your mythic powers to fleet. Be a human, get an extra feet, pick up fleet. Maybe get enough levels in druid to get wildshape to cheatah. Run is useful. Also there are items to get movement.

Drrakerr
2015-01-30, 10:50 PM
IIRC there's a template in MMIII called spellwarped. It grants SR11+HD and if someone fails to overcome it you absorb the spell to gain bonuses based on the spell level. One of them was speed bonus of 5 x spell level. There was no listed duration for the bonus. It has LA+3, so not really worth it in a normal game, but its decent in Gestalt.

stack
2015-01-30, 11:06 PM
Quadruped eidolon called by a half elf wild caller has 36 evolution points at level 20. Take extra evolution 5 times to get 41 points. Spend 1 point on mount, the other forty on legs at 2 points/pair. Thats 20 extra pairs, so 200 ft on top of your base 40. Have the eidolon take fleet 8 times for another 40', brings you to 280'/rnd. Haste puts you at 310. Probably ways to do better, like the cheetah trick, but fairly impressive and quite sustainable as a movement rate, provided you don't want to do anything useful. Good mount for Rincewind.

Andion Isurand
2015-01-31, 01:24 AM
If going with 3.5... (missed the PF tag coming in, but didn't want to waste my post)

TEMPLATES

The dark and shadow templates can help somewhat.
And perhaps you could say that because they overlap in some areas, that the whole package is a +2 LA.
Hard to beat a +10 to all speeds, then add 50% to all speeds.

FEATS/TRAITS

If you have a natural fly speed, try out the Air Heritage feat for +30 (up to twice your normal fly speed).

There's also Fleet of Foot as a 1st-level regional feat, depending on your race, which adds +10 to land speed.

And you give him the Quick trait that can add +10 to your land speed, in exchange for suffering -1 HP per HD, which you can make up for by taking the Improved Toughness feat.

CLASSES

The 6th level of non-magical ranger (CW 13) also gives you Fast Movement, which I think would stack with that of a Barbarian.

If you want to get around the conflict of alignment between monks and barbarians, look for the Druid ACF for becoming a "swift and deadly hunter" which gives them the fast movement of a monk.

thematgreen
2015-02-02, 10:41 AM
I like the idea of a synthesist who has a giant centipede-ish summon he runs around is. If I can move 320ft a round that would be amazing.

I can run around, distract people, deliver messages, get to treasure first, etc.

KingSmitty
2015-02-02, 11:14 AM
Remember that speed doesn't effect your combat ability.

not if your enemies are fleeing from you, of course.

I built a half-giant barbarian with a movement of 70 at level 7, while still giving up the barbarian's fast movement for pounce. I would often have to run my enemies down and destroy them, or the chance to get a big charge in during the surprise round was powerful in itself.

thematgreen
2015-02-02, 02:36 PM
not if your enemies are fleeing from you, of course.

I built a half-giant barbarian with a movement of 70 at level 7, while still giving up the barbarian's fast movement for pounce. I would often have to run my enemies down and destroy them, or the chance to get a big charge in during the surprise round was powerful in itself.

I just like the idea of zooming around like a nut. How did you build that barbarian?

stack
2015-02-02, 02:39 PM
With the ridiculous speed and points in stealth you could ambush enemies. The range penalty to perception would make it hard to spot you at the edge of your charge distance, if you could find a straight line.

Psyren
2015-02-02, 03:05 PM
Note that in PF, monk fast movement is an enhancement bonus, so it won't stack with Haste/ER.

3 sprint: a cheetah can run at 10 times its movement speed (500 feet) when it makes a charge attack (once per hour)

This isn't as useful as it sounds - as written, Sprint says "10x its normal speed (500 ft.)" Meaning it won't go any faster than 500 no matter what other bonuses you pile on, at least by RAW.

With the ridiculous speed and points in stealth you could ambush enemies. The range penalty to perception would make it hard to spot you at the edge of your charge distance, if you could find a straight line.

Remember, Perception only takes an action if you're actively searching for stimulus. If you are perceiving reactively - say, if something is speeding towards you - you can in fact perceived it during that thing's movement/turn if it gets within range, and therefore it won't be stealthed anymore.

MightyPirate
2015-02-02, 05:08 PM
I gotta give it to mounted Primal Companion Hunter with a Racer Archetype Companion. At level 20 you're looking at 34 Evolution Points thanks to Primal Master & Primal Transformation. If spring and the run feat can be used to run while flying we want a Roc otherwise we'll settle for a horse.

The Roc ends up with: 80 fly base + 10 Fast Movement + 340 Evolution Boost + 10 Greater Longstrider. Running and sprinting gets you 440ft x 5 (Run Feat)= 2,200ft in one round. That's 250 mph for those keeping score. When a strait line is unavailable we enjoy the skirmisher ranger's chameleon step trick.

The horse gets: 50 base + 10 Fast Movement + 170 Evolution boost + 30 Horseshoes of speed + 20 Slipstream Downhill + 30 Ward of the Seasons (Summer) + 20 Aspect of the Stag + 25 Fleet featx5. Running and sprinting nets you 365 x 5 Run Feat= 1,825ft in one round. About 207 mph, still pretty respectable but taking up a lot more resources.

The mounted hunter picks up a bow and mounted archery. He's at -4 to hit anything (go figure) but if he UMD's a scroll of Saddle Surge he's looking at +440 damage per arrow when riding the Roc or +365 damage per arrow when riding the horse. Ignore deadly aim and try to get as much accuracy as possible and also extra attacks via rapid shot/manyshot and/or snap shot/combat reflexes. Damage drops to +352 on Roc and +292 on horse when running is not an option thanks to the chameleon step trick.

Bob of Mage
2015-02-02, 06:13 PM
If you are using Pathfinder you can try and build your own race to have a greater base speed. You could start off with a race that has a base speed of 70. That would equal about 10 racial point which is the cap for a normal PC race (you can go much higher). Just throwing this out there.

Bob of Mage
2015-02-02, 06:15 PM
Remember, Perception only takes an action if you're actively searching for stimulus. If you are perceiving reactively - say, if something is speeding towards you - you can in fact perceived it during that thing's movement/turn if it gets within range, and therefore it won't be stealthed anymore.

However you can still use stealth while moving. In fact I'm pretty sure there's way to use stealth while running with the right investment.

Psyren
2015-02-02, 06:24 PM
However you can still use stealth while moving. In fact I'm pretty sure there's way to use stealth while running with the right investment.

"It's impossible to use Stealth while attacking, running, or charging."

You can use it while simply moving, but unless you move half-speed or have the Fast Stealth rogue talent you take a penalty. And even if you cancel out the penalty, they still have a chance to beat your check. Plus, if you do not have cover/concealment the whole way, you will be unable to stealth at all when you run out and they will automatically detect you.