PDA

View Full Version : Moving and attacks: More than one

Everyman
2007-04-04, 04:34 PM
Hello forum peoples!

I've built a fun character who abuses his supernaturally high Cha score. Noteably, I use the slippers of battledance, which allow me to use Cha for my attack and damage rolls. However, the limiter to this item is that I MUST move at least 10 ft. each round in order to use them. This limits me to just one attack per round (though at an impressive +30 to hit).

What I need is some sort of feat, item, or class ability that gives me more than just one attack with a standard action. Does anyone have any suggestions? It isn't absolutely essential that I have more than one attack, but I'd really like to.:smallbiggrin:

Thanks for your time!

Jacob Orlove
2007-04-04, 04:42 PM
Greater Manyshot is popular with Scouts, who have the same restriction on their Skirmish ability. Searching for threads on Scouts is probably the best way to find other good options.

Douglas
2007-04-04, 04:48 PM
Any race with the pounce (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#pounce) ability will do. Catfolk (RotW, +1 LA) can get it with a feat, but it only works against flat-footed opponents.

The Lion's Charge spell or Psionic Lion's Charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psionicLionsCharge.htm) power grant you that ability for one round.

The Pouncing Charge strike from Tome of Battle lets you do it once per encounter.

The Dervish Dance ability of the Dervish PrC from Complete Warrior lets you full attack while moving.

There are two feats in the PHBII that add one iterative attack each to a Spring Attack.

The Dual Strike feat from Complete Adventurer lets you attack once with each of two weapons as a standard action.

That's all I can think of offhand.

Arbitrarity
2007-04-04, 05:10 PM
Ok, you can take dervish, or use psionic lion's charge. You could use the rollerskates, but they're feet, and you have slippers on.

You could take something from dragon magazine (opportunistic tactician, convert's AOO's to 5 ft steps)

If I come up with anything else, I'll tell you.

Ouch, I'm missing stuff today...

Horsies with arrows... Wonder if that counts as you moving.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-04, 05:20 PM
Taking Dual Strike and carrying two weapons is another possibility, but that only gets you two hits, and requires TWF.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-04, 05:20 PM
Hustle, perhaps?

NullAshton
2007-04-04, 05:36 PM
Hustle will work, yes.

Alternatively, use Dervish with a few enhancements to speed. You can take a full move, while making a full attack. The catch, of course, is that you have to move 5 feet between each attack... but you're moving 10 feet anyway, so that doesn't matter. In addition, you get more bonuses to slashing weapons, as well as the class having a very nice ability at tenth level allowing you to DOUBLE the number of attacks you make in a full attack once a day!

ocato
2007-04-04, 05:50 PM
Noteably, I use the slippers of battledance, which allow me to use Cha for my attack and damage rolls. However, the limiter to this item is that I MUST move at least 10 ft. each round in order to use them. This limits me to just one attack per round (though at an impressive +30 to hit).

Why am I just now hearing about this? What else haven't you people told me about?! Is there a Rapier of +Bard to Barding? Can I play my Lute so hard that heads explode? Is there a pick of destiny?

This item sounds really cool. Spring attack seems like your route for the most part, but you won't deal a lot of attacks at once that I can think of. My DM will be getting this via email, what book was it in?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-04, 05:53 PM
Why am I just now hearing about this? What else haven't you people told me about?! Is there a Rapier of +Bard to Barding? Can I play my Lute so hard that heads explode? Is there a pick of destiny?

This item sounds really cool. Spring attack seems like your route for the most part, but you won't deal a lot of attacks at once that I can think of. My DM will be getting this via email, what book was it in?

Slippers of Battledancing appear in the DMG-II.

Also, have you thought about taking Snowflake Wardance?

Merlin the Tuna
2007-04-04, 05:59 PM
Tome of Battle has a few other ways to pull it off, actually. Sudden Leap is a 1st level Tiger Claw boost that allows you to jump as a swift action. On the higher end, Press the Advantage is a 5th level White Raven stance that lets you take two 5ft steps each round. Finally, Quicksilver Motion is a 7th level
Diamond Mind boost that lets you take an extra move action in a turn.

Granted, the third one is almost assuredly not available -- you need IL 13, which requires a few martial adept levels. Depending on your level, you may be able to snag the stance; 16 levels of anything else and a single level dip of Crusader/Warblade would do it. Alternatively, 14/2, 12/3, and so on. That starts looking way less like a dip, though.

Edit - More ways with ToB!
Wolf Fang Strike (Tiger Claw 1) - Attack with 2 weapons as a standard action.
Leaping Flame (Desert Wind 5) - Teleport up to 100 ft as an immediate action when someone takes a pot shot at you. (This one's arguable, since you're not technically moving on your turn.)
Dancing Mongoose (Tiger Claw 5) - Use a swift action to add another attack to your turn -- 2 if you use TWF.
Desert Tempest (Desert Wind 6) - Run by a bunch of guys, attacking all of them as you go.
Shadow Blink (Shadow Hand 7, so not likely) - Teleport 50 ft through shadows as a swift action.
Raging Mongoose (Tiger Claw 8, aka for-people-who-are-not-you) - Dancing Mongoose x2.

Matthew
2007-04-04, 06:00 PM
Hustle, perhaps?

Veh? I'm confused.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-04, 06:06 PM
Veh? I'm confused.

Psionic power. 3pp, extra move action. Dorje-able too.

SpiderBrigade
2007-04-04, 06:13 PM
The other way you can go after this is resign yourself to single hits, but boost them up drastically with other Charisma-synergy abilities. So for instance, Snowflake Wardance from Frostburn gives Cha to attack, or (depending on how it's worded, I don't have the book yet) the Bow of Song from Magic Item Compendium.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-04-04, 06:17 PM
Alternatively, summon something to bull rush you into position for full attacks! I'm sure your DM will love that.

"I summon an earth element and command it to shove me. I don't resist. Now, I open up my can of uberattack."

PinkysBrain
2007-04-04, 06:17 PM
Hustle is your best bet. The fact you need to make the movement as part of a move action (which you failed to mention) rules out pouncing. Most of the ToB stuff and dual strike requires you to sink a lot of feats into TWF.

If your DM allows you to use swift powers from a power trigger item as a swift action (clearly RAI if you check out the psicrowns) then dip psychic warrior and get a evader psicrown. Sure it's a lot of money for something which runs out, but you will be able to hustle something like 130 times for the amount of PP present in the crown.

Matthew
2007-04-04, 06:19 PM
Psionic power. 3pp, extra move action. Dorje-able too.

Right, gotcha. Should have been called Psionic Hustle, to avoid confusion with the Movement Speed category.

ocato
2007-04-04, 09:47 PM
Or you could couple it with some of the "uber charge" feats like Leap attack and whatever else they are (I forget) and just bounce around the fight like a crazy person.

PinkysBrain
2007-04-05, 12:18 AM
No you can't, as I said ... he failed to mention the movement had to be part of a move action. You don't get a move action when you charge.

Fizban
2007-04-05, 01:07 AM
Wolf Fang strike (which can be obtained through a feat or a level dip) looks like the best choice there then, or investing in that Hustle item.

Let's see, other ways to get a free move action/attack multiple times with a standard action...I got nothin.

Edit: \/, the item requires a move action to activate, so no pounce.

Person_Man
2007-04-05, 03:30 PM
Here are a bunch of ways to get pounce (http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=5305146). Note that it hasn't been updated in a few years, so there are probably at least a dozen more available.

Also, if you go the Hustle route, I suggest using a Warmind instead of a Psychic Warrior. Warminds get full BAB, and their Sweeping Strike ability is huge.

Lolzords
2007-04-05, 05:40 PM
I'm sure I read in the DM's guide about an item that does exactly that...

Curmudgeon
2007-04-06, 05:02 AM
If you can make decent unarmed strikes, Snap Kick (from Tome of Battle) lets you throw in an extra unarmed attack whenever you make a melee attack.

Darrin
2007-04-06, 08:00 AM
Tome of Battle has a few other ways to pull it off, actually. Sudden Leap is a 1st level Tiger Claw boost that allows you to jump as a swift action. On the higher end, Press the Advantage is a 5th level White Raven stance that lets you take two 5ft steps each round.

I would heartily recommend Press the Advantage as the best solution. Unless you're on rough terrain, you can move 10' every round.

As a 5th level maneuver, you'd need to take 9 levels of Crusader or Warblade to get it. But that's hardly a downside. You could pick it up with two Martial Study feats and then Martial Stance at 18th level without any Martial Adept classes.

I'd recommend Warblade, and pick up Sudden Leap and some Tiger Claw maneuvers as well. Pouncing Charge, another 5th level maneuver, lets you full-attack at the end of a charge, and you can combine that with Sudden Leap to jump back 10' then charge. Add PA+charge multiplier tomfoolery.

PinkysBrain
2007-04-06, 08:09 AM
The movement has to be made as part of a move action.

artaxerxes
2007-04-09, 07:29 PM
Two-Weapon Pounce from PHB II

Dex 15, Two-Weapon Fighting, base attack bonus +6 Attack with both weapons when charging

But as noted... no use.