PDA

View Full Version : dervish + revenant blade

j_spencer93
2015-01-30, 10:09 PM
does a double scimitar qualify for the dervish finesse thing?

Kudaku
2015-01-30, 10:12 PM
I assume you mean Dervish Dance? If so the answer is no, but a swashbuckler dip/ effortless Lace items combined with Slashing Grace would work.

j_spencer93
2015-01-30, 10:13 PM
well crap, was hoping there was a way to mix the double scimitar with it, but that doesn't derail my plans really.
So can you explain the swashbuckler thing? What did you mean that would work?

j_spencer93
2015-01-30, 10:19 PM
and would an aptitude weapon apply any feat for scimitar to any scimitar (double, any or variation also)

Kudaku
2015-01-30, 10:20 PM
Scimitars dont normally qualify for weapon finesse because they're not light weapons. Swasbucklers can use Swashbuckler Finesse combined with Slashing Grace to get dex to hit and damage with one-handed slashing weapons. Effortless lace lets you treat a weapon as Light, so you only take a -2 penalty while TWFing.

I'd give you more details but I'm posting from my phone atm.

Edit: Can't comment on aptitude, from what I can recall that's 3.5 material and I packed away those books a long time ago.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-30, 10:22 PM
Scimitars dont normally qualify for weapon finesse because they're not light weapons. Swasbucklers can use Swashbuckler Finesse combined with Slashing Grace to get dex to hit and damage with one-handed slashing weapons. Effortless lace lets you treat a weapon as Light, so you only take a -2 penalty while TWFing.

I'd give you more details but I'm posting from my phone atm.

Dervish has a special Finesse that makes Scimitars light weapons, and strictly speaking the Double Scimitar doesnt count but ask your DM. Honestly id let it slide.

Kudaku
2015-01-30, 10:25 PM
Ah, never mind. thought OP meant one of the dervish archetypes, didn't realize he said double scimitar. I blame my tiny screen resolution. ;)

j_spencer93
2015-01-30, 10:27 PM
I was thinking about letting them as i am DM, but i am not sure.
I really want to mix revenant blade and dervish but i don't want to just do ignoring rules.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-30, 10:35 PM
I was thinking about letting them as i am DM, but i am not sure.
I really want to mix revenant blade and dervish but i don't want to just do ignoring rules.

If it makes you feel better the Double Scimitar came out after the Dervish was published so they couldnt have known it would exist, also Valenar Elves are perfect archetypes of a people who would have Dervishes, and Revenent Blade mixes beautifully from a fluff perspective.

Azoth
2015-01-31, 12:53 AM
If you don't mind pathfinder material, there is a feat Double Weapon Finess. Requires twf and weapon finesse. It allows you to treat both ends of a double weapon as light weapons for weapon finesse and twfing.

j_spencer93
2015-01-31, 03:15 AM
well damn it, that means yet another feat. A player of mine recommended letting it apply to all scimitars, which could be a good way to increase its worth.
btw where is that feat, can't locate it.

Kudaku
2015-01-31, 03:45 AM
It's third party material from Dreamscarred press and found in the Path of War, here's the breakdown (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/feats#TOC-Double-Weapon-Finesse-Combat-).

j_spencer93
2015-01-31, 06:58 AM
Now with that feat the idea now works?

j_spencer93
2015-01-31, 04:10 PM
Can you jump as part of a dervish dance to take advantage of battle jump (or whatever that feat is)?

Blackhawk748
2015-01-31, 04:26 PM
Can you jump as part of a dervish dance to take advantage of battle jump (or whatever that feat is)?

I dont see why not as jumping is part of movement.

j_spencer93
2015-01-31, 04:39 PM
so i can do double melee damage with first hit or can i jump before every attack in dervish dance?

Azoth
2015-01-31, 04:52 PM
Just make sure you can nail you accelerated tumble checks or you are provoking AoOs every time to do.

j_spencer93
2015-01-31, 04:57 PM
so guess that is a yes, each attack would be at x2 dmg, sweet. and pretty sure i do not need to worry about the tumble checks. My character has those max ranked plus a extreme dex

Urpriest
2015-01-31, 05:59 PM
You won't get finesse, but you won't need it. You'll want good Str anyway, since Revenant Blade lets you count the Double Scimitar as two-handed, and the many other benefits of Dervish still apply.

j_spencer93
2015-01-31, 06:05 PM
How would this build work. I am an elf, dedicated to our heritage and take up the art of the double scimitar. I was found abandoned as a child (actually not abandoned but transported from Eberron).We allow flaws but i only want ones that fit my theme so at moment they are not chosen but accounted for in the feat list. Also we gain feats every odd level.

barbarian 1 (whirling frenzy, we count it as rage for all effects requiring rage)
swashbuckler 3 (int to dmg)
Fighter 1
revenant blade 5 (power attack with double scimitar)
dervish 10 (scimitar counts as light, dervish dance)

possibly take better classes then swashbuckler and fighter if someone can recommend one.

into epic
Champion of corellon Larethian 2

1st: weapon focus (scimitar)
Flaw:expeditious doge
Flaw:blade bearer of valenar
3rd:mobility
5th:combat expertise
fighter bonus: two-weapon fighting
7th:shield of blades
Gloves of the balanced hand: improved two-weapon fighting
9th:battle jump
11th:double hit
13th:flay foe
15th:karmic strike
17th:two-weapon rend
19ht:double hit

list of possible feats
Elaborate parry
Acrobatic strike
Robilar’s gambit
Greater two-weapon fighting
Two-weapon defense
Improved two-weapon defense
Greater two-weapon defense
Crushing Strike
Melee weapon mastery
Robilar’s gambit
Slashing furry

list of sought after items (feel free to give suggestions)
Head

Eyes

Face
Blindfold of true darkness

Hands

Arms
Gloves of the balanced hands (twf or improved)

Body

Torso
Impervious vestment (can cast blade barrier, +5 armor) (found through a unique quest, could enchant with ]mobility reducing a feats)

Shoulders
Piercer cloak (jump 10ft, +2d6)

Rings

Waist
Belt of battle

Feet
Boots of speed

Held

Other
War paint of primal rage

weapon enchantments (thinking one side dedicated to defense, while offensive to the other)
Defending
Keen (double crit range)
Berserker (rage +2 weapon enchant)
Deflecting

j_spencer93
2015-01-31, 06:07 PM
You won't get finesse, but you won't need it. You'll want good Str anyway, since Revenant Blade lets you count the Double Scimitar as two-handed, and the many other benefits of Dervish still apply.

ya after relooking over the build i wound no longer need finesse to apply to the double scimitar if i dropped my swashbuckler angle. If i become a vampire i gain alot of the feats needed and some other useful things lol but not sure larethian would care for that.

Greenish
2015-02-01, 12:35 AM
Revenant Blade has Imp. Critical as one of the floating feat options, so I wouldn't bother with Keen. I also wouldn't bother trying to get defense from your main weapon.

animewatcha
2015-02-01, 01:29 AM
Can you post your stats? Might help a bit.

j_spencer93
2015-02-01, 07:44 AM
Currently at work. Will post updated build with stats after i get home

j_spencer93
2015-02-01, 05:52 PM
Str 16 (+3), Dex 15 (+2), Con 13 (+1), Int 16 (+3), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 13 (+1)