PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other The Savade [Race] (wip, peach)

Ammutseba
2015-01-30, 11:43 PM
Heyo. I've been brewing up a setting, and I'll eventually shimmy on over to World-Building with it. Right now, I've got a fluff block for one of the races just about done up, I think. The setting is a bit silly and (I hear) a bit grimdark. Basically, it's about the survivors of mortal-kind ~45 years after several elder evils crash the party and accidentally keep one another from just plain destroying everything. Sort of like if your house survives the Storm of the Century, and you emerge a couple days later to see some very large trees precariously tented over it, with the obvious signs that if one of them goes, they all go. And for some horrible reason, you have to keep living there.

What I have for you now is a work in progress. I can make changes if need be, I'd like to hear your thoughts, and I'm happy to share my inspirational sources about these folks. I did some basic reading on the Far Realm, delved into blots, then started with derro as the base creature, and modified them thematically with qualities of the uvuudaum. On racial traits, I'm looking toward derro and the uvuudaum for my water and flour, of course, but also toward the killoren, the dragonborn and the elan for my yeast and other doughy goodnesses. My target is on the stronger side of LA +0.

The savade are a relatively new race, born first from within marrow of the Qdza Cyst from derro pilgrims living under the gleeful, maniacal rule of Yibhothome, the cerebrotic blot’s uvuudaum overlord. In recent years the bizarre savade have expanded beyond their progenitorial blot and out into other blots. Despite that Astlara’s Vast End is less than fifty years past, the savade claim that their kind trace lineages within Qdza back several generations. It is possible, perhaps even probable, that time is even less reliable within the marrow of a blot than elsewhere on Astlara, but for now it is only the word of Yibhothome and the savade that even the most learned sages can go by.

The savade are bizarre, insane creatures with a deep-seated tendency toward cruelty. Their culture is barbaric, basing the assignment of power on a complex (or perhaps nonsense) structure of heritage, displays of strength, and inborn power. Even within Qdza and other blots, they form tribal groups each with their own hierarchies of status, and these tribes often war amongst themselves for supremacy and the greatest of Yibhothome’s favor.

Only in recent years have the savade gained the ability and relative sanity required to work with other races for mutual benefit; older generations are incapable. If it is more subtle than this, outsiders can generally understand that in savade culture, the strong rule, and the stronger rule them. Some savade are naturally psionic, an inborn status which seeds these individuals for a life of strength above the common rabble.

Savade appear stocky and solid, but are small. Most stand around three feet tall, and weigh about 90 pounds. A savade’s skin is pale, blue-white, with amorphous masses that shift and move slowly, as if forever searching for a means of escape. Their bulging eyes are white, silver, or tan in color, with no differentiation between one part of the eye and another, and bristly, iron-gray hair sprouts from their head, neck and shoulders nearly like a mane, but rarely grows more than a few inches long. Most savade are covered in spiraling, swirling dark tattoos over most of their bodies; individuals use these to identify another savade’s tribe of origin.

Signs of benign mutations abound a savade’s body. For most, their moving flesh is abnormally thick, one of their eyes dominates more of their face than the other, a bony bulge rests perpetually around their ribs, and their hands may sport additional fingers or thumbs. For others, the signs of a vestigial wing or two might be visible beneath the skin on their back, their neck may be elongated and tentacle-like, or any number of other mild growths may be apparent. Although these mutant qualities normally have no mechanical effect for the savade, one can harness the roiling, insane energies of the Far Realm within them, with effort, and make a single mutation more viable for a short time.

Here's what I'd like to know. Looking at this fluff, would you want to know more about these little guys, or maybe want to play as one? If so, what did you like? If not, what's my hook missing?

Solaris
2015-01-30, 11:51 PM
So they're insane mutant shifters that replace eldritch abominations with lycanthropes? I like it.

Ammutseba
2015-01-31, 03:58 AM
More like the killoren than shifters. Their viable mutation is chosen for each day rather than at the moment it's needed, but the benefits also scale like the dragonborn's aspect. I'm considering allowing a savade to replace one of the normal mutations (extra arm, eyestalk or ironskin) with one of a less common set of mutations (gills, vestigial wings, flexible joints or crystal lobe), but I'm not completely certain, yet. They might instead be feats. I'm also thinking about drumming up a 5-level prestige class that focuses on exactly how nutter these little weirdos are.

Edit: Scratch autolevelling with Hit Die. It's unnecessary. There will be feats, though.

Ammutseba
2015-02-02, 10:37 PM
Hey, so I got you some crunch to going along with your fluff. I can't help but feel like this might be not quite balanced, so I'd love some analysis there. I realize the vulnerability is harsh, but like the drow or the kaorti, there are things that can be done about it. On the other hand, if it is too painful of a drawback, it can be re-addressed with an effectively smaller penalty.

SAVADE RACIAL TRAITS
• +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, –4 Wisdom. A savade’s mutable body is unusually agile and flexible, and they benefit from strong, individualistic personalities, but their inborn madness compromises their judgment and ability to make sound decisions.
• Aberration (Shapechanger): Savade are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person. They have the shapechanger subtype.
• Small: As a Small creature, a savade gains a +1 size bonus to Armor class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters those of a Medium character.
• Savade base land speed is 20 feet.
• Savade (unlike most aberrations) do not have darkvision.
• Madness (Ex): Savade use their Charisma modifier on Will saves instead of their Wisdom modifier, and have immunity to confusion and insanity effects.
• Variable Mutation (Su): At the beginning of each day, the savade can spend ten minutes harnessing the chaotic forces at play inside their body to develop one of their inchoate growths into a viable mutation, which lasts for the rest of the day. Although developing a mutation is a supernatural ability, having the mutation is not; once it is formed, it is a normal part of the savade’s body. When using this ability, the savade chooses one of the following three mutations to develop for the day. Once this choice is made, it cannot be changed until the beginning of the next day.
Extra Arm: A savade who develops this mutation grows an additional arm on the chosen side of their body. This hand on this additional arm usually has one or two additional fingers and/or thumbs, and it provides a +2 racial bonus on grapple checks. Furthermore, the arm provides an additional off-hand, can be used to grasp a weapon or shield (or any other kind of item, as normal), but cannot be used to make attacks in the same turn as the savade attacks with another weapon.
Eyestalk: A savade who develops this mutation grows a long, thin, sinewy tentacle from one of their eye sockets, which ends in an advanced eyeball. The savade can see from this eye normally, and is never disconcerted from its movement or independence from the rest of their body. The savade can control the eye’s location and positioning, and move it up to 5 feet away from their body. The eye provides the savade with a +2 racial bonus on Search and Spot checks, and the savade can use the eye’s location to determine line of sight, rather than its actual location.
Ironskin: A savade who develops this mutation grows thick, winding strands of iron-like organic material through their skin. This mutation provides the savade with damage reduction 8/– against the first attack to hit them during each encounter, and a +1 natural bonus to Armor Class.
• Material Vulnerability (Ex): A savade takes 1 point of Constitution damage for every day it is exposed to the unmitigated reality of the Prime Material plane, such as when it is outside of a cerebrotic blot, the Far Realm or a kaorti cyst, and it dies if its Constitution reaches 0. Constitution points lost in this way are recovered at the rate of 1 per every 24-hour period spent within a blot or otherwise shielded from the Prime Material plane’s full influence.
• Automatic Language: Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Common, Dwarven, Goblin, Ignan, Orc and Terran.
• Favored Class: Rogue
• Level Adjustment: +0