PDA

View Full Version : Githzerai Question

m149307
2015-01-31, 01:17 AM
Ok, so I heard that there was an LA +0 version somewhere out there. Can someone tell me which book it is in if possible, and what the changes were? Please and thank you.

I think it might be in the dragon magazines, if that helps narrow it down.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-01-31, 02:14 AM
Complete Psionic page 147 has the Githzerai Racial Class, which starts out at +0 LA but you have to spend your 2nd and 4th levels on its level adjustment to gain the rest of its racial traits.

m149307
2015-01-31, 08:48 AM
I think it is still a regular race, it's just LA +0 instead of +2 now.

Zaq
2015-01-31, 02:26 PM
I've never seen it in anything first-party (and I know basically nothing about Dragon), but it wouldn't be too hard to homebrew something.

Drop the stats to be "balanced" (and, if you want to be very WotC about it, axe the +WIS or balance it with a –CON, because WotC really doesn't like boosting mental stats without penalizing CON in LA 0 races). So +2 DEX, –2 INT, with an optional [+2 WIS, –2 CON]. (Optional for you, that is, not necessarily for the player.)
Remove the power resistance—LA 0 races basically never get SR/PR. (If you want to keep the flavor of having PR, allow them to buy it back with a feat, but it shouldn't be available out of the box.)
Drastically reduce the availability of the PLAs—using the maenad as the base, you'd have to limit it to just one of those abilities, and make it 1/day. I'd think it would be reasonable to make it one of the player's choice . . . if you were feeling generous, then you could even say that they have access to all four (minus Plane Shift, though, because that's pretty nuts) and they could dynamically pick each day. But the only LA 0 race that gets multiple SLAs/PLAs is the gnome, and all of the gnome's things are less impressive than the githzerai's.
Darkvision is fine. Nothing special about 30' move speed. 2 PP is on par with maenads and elans, so no need to nerf that.

That's how WotC would do it, anyway. If you want to make it slightly more powerful (putting them at the higher end of LA 0, like humans and warforged, rather than the lower end), you can start inching back things that you took away—give slightly higher DEX, or give 2 uses/day of the PLAs, or something like that.

m149307
2015-01-31, 02:28 PM
Honestly, I just want the +6 dex.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-01-31, 02:40 PM
Honestly, I just want the +6 dex.

You're not going to get +6 Dex on a +0 LA race, unless the rest of your stats take a huge hit, which probably won't be worth it. What type of build are you going for? There may be a better race to use for reasons other than base ability scores.

m149307
2015-01-31, 02:41 PM
Ranged Warlock. I might just go Hengeyokai

Zaq
2015-01-31, 02:46 PM
You're not going to get +6 Dex on a +0 LA race, unless the rest of your stats take a huge hit, which probably won't be worth it. What type of build are you going for? There may be a better race to use for reasons other than base ability scores.

Expanding on that, there is an LA 0 race that gets +6 DEX—the muckdweller, from Serpent Kingdoms (pg. 71). –6 STR, +6 DEX, –2 WIS, –2 CHA. It's also Tiny, which may be beneficial to you or may be detrimental, depending on how close you like to get to the front lines. They've got a few other racial features, too. I personally think they're pretty neat, but it is kind of annoying to have to deal with a –6 STR and Tiny size, just because the carrying capacity rules are really, really harsh (if you have a starting STR of 10, for a total of 4 STR post-racial, your light load is six and a half pounds).