PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for help regarding space travel

Vegan Zombie
2015-01-31, 02:39 AM
Hello all,

Looking for help regarding space travel. DM has challenged us to travel to Mars. He said Planar Tolerance may work for the vacuum of space, but I fell like that's cheating. I seem to remember a spell that protects you from such in the SPC, but I can't find it for the life of me, nor have I figured out a way to get there. I imagine Energy Immunity (Cold) will help.

Any help is appreciated. 3.5 Ed, no Dragon Mag, all splats. Have access to Wizard and Druid 6th level spells (although I'm sure druid won't have much). Can also UMD other scrolls/items.

Inevitability
2015-01-31, 04:42 AM
Travelling to mars? Greater teleport, there done. Surviving would be harder, but you didn't ask for that, did you? :smalltongue:

But seriously, escape velocity is 11,2 km/s. That would be 67,2 km/round. This would require covering a distance of 2,204,725 feet a round.

With the run feat, this would make your basic speed at least 440,945 feet. Impossible? Hardly.

Take a look at this little trick the Chuck E Cheese (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1164211) build uses:

Round 1:
Activate Belt of Battle to cast Footsteps of the Divine(Fharlaghn) as a Swift Action, expending 7 Turn Undead attempts to Persist the spell via Divine Metamagic and then Extending it via Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend. Between Extend Spell, Suel Arcanamach and Spellcarved Soldier, Footsteps of the Divine lasts for 4 days.

Chuck drops the rod as a free action, drawing a scroll of Favor of the Martyr as a move action and as a Standard Action he makes the DC 27 UMD check to cast the spell from the scroll. He succeeds on a 1.

Max Turnage casts Owl’s Wisdom on Chuck.

Round 2:
Chuck chooses to “employ a burst of truly inhuman speed” to gain +10ft to his land speed(in addition to the +50 ft from selecting Farlanghn) for every round remaining in the spell’s duration. There are 4 days minus 1 round remaining in the duration, so Chuck gets +576,990 ft bonus to his land speed, for a total land speed of 576,070 ft.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-01-31, 04:50 AM
Travelling to mars? Greater teleport, there done. Surviving would be harder, but you didn't ask for that, did you? :smalltongue:

Necklace of Adaption and some cold & fire resistance should take care of your survival.

Belial_the_Leveler
2015-01-31, 05:48 AM
1) Use "Wall of Iron" castings to build a sealed metal structure, preferably gargantuan-sized.

2) Buy a decanter of endless water, a ring of invisibility, a ring of levitation, several permancy scrolls and some adamantine water pipes.

3) Fix one end of adamantine water pipes to decanter of endless water, have the other end go out the base of your colossal metal structure.

4) Cast animate objects on your metal structure, then permancy from the scroll.

5) Cast heat metal on the adamantine water pipes, then permancy from the scroll.

6) Give your metal structure the rings of invisibility and levitation to wear.

7) Board your invisible, weightless, steam-propeled spaceship and head for Mars and beyond.

PS:
*Having some method of casting "Find the Path" is a good idea. Getting lost in space sucks.
*Some ranks into Knowledge: Astrophysics are a good idea. Messing up orbital mechanics is bad.
*Remember to decelerate before attempting to land. Crashing on a planet at nearly the speed of light will really ruin your day - not to mention destroy the planet.

kaffalidjmah
2015-01-31, 06:17 AM
1) Use "Wall of Iron" castings to build a sealed metal structure, preferably gargantuan-sized.

2) Buy a decanter of endless water, a ring of invisibility, a ring of levitation, several permancy scrolls and some adamantine water pipes.

3) Fix one end of adamantine water pipes to decanter of endless water, have the other end go out the base of your colossal metal structure.

5) Cast heat metal on the adamantine water pipes, then permancy from the scroll.

7) Board your invisible, weightless, steam-propeled spaceship and head for Mars and beyond.

PS:
*Having some method of casting "Find the Path" is a good idea. Getting lost in space sucks.
*Some ranks into Knowledge: Astrophysics are a good idea. Messing up orbital mechanics is bad.
*Remember to decelerate before attempting to land. Crashing on a planet at nearly the speed of light will really ruin your day - not to mention destroy the planet.

you have win. no one can't argue that

Vegan Zombie
2015-01-31, 11:05 AM

PS:

I'm totally pulling this stunt. I warned the DM this would come down to rocket science.

Necklace of adaptation seems to be exactly what I was looking for as well.

I wonder how long it would take to develope a Detect Martian spell...