PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Making Matthew from Fire Emblem 7

Reprimand
2015-01-31, 01:32 PM
I'm trying to make Matthew from fire emblem post assassin promotion

I don't want to use the actually assassin class though except as a last resort because mechanically I don't like it.

The DM is okay with me using stalker from path of war ( i was going to refluff it as the soul hunter/eater archtype without the gameplay changes) and but I have not approved slayer rogue/ranger thingie yet

Can I get an opinion on which one you guys would use and why it's mechanically better or why you think it fits the character better?

For background info on Matthew please go the fire emblem wiki they do a really good job summing him up.

Elricaltovilla
2015-01-31, 02:47 PM
Wow, one of the Fire Emblem games I didn't play.

Alright, well. I'm going to go ahead and highly recommend the Stalker. It's mechanically much more robust, versatile and useful than ranger/rogue or slayer. On the other hand, special attacks like the kind you'd pick up playing a Stalker don't really exist in Fire Emblem, so if you're more interested in replicating the character as closely as possible than fitting the theme and being useful, go with the Slayer or Ranger/Rogue.

Stalker gives you a lot to go off of. You should look in my signature for my Stalker (and other PoW) guides to give you an idea of the kind of stuff you can do. For a character that does a good job of emulating the Thief-> Assassin progression, I'd focus on using Thrashing Dragon, Broken Blade and Steel Serpent, although picking up some Veiled Moon is both fun and full of useful utility abilities.

To help downplay the supernatural aspects of the Stalker, you could trade out a discipline for Primal Fury, and maybe go into the Dragon Fury PrC. It has less of a stealth focus, but with better BAB, Saves and an emphasis on really boosting your TWF damage, its very tempting to pick up.

Reprimand
2015-02-01, 02:41 AM
Wow, one of the Fire Emblem games I didn't play.

Alright, well. I'm going to go ahead and highly recommend the Stalker. It's mechanically much more robust, versatile and useful than ranger/rogue or slayer. On the other hand, special attacks like the kind you'd pick up playing a Stalker don't really exist in Fire Emblem, so if you're more interested in replicating the character as closely as possible than fitting the theme and being useful, go with the Slayer or Ranger/Rogue.

Stalker gives you a lot to go off of. You should look in my signature for my Stalker (and other PoW) guides to give you an idea of the kind of stuff you can do. For a character that does a good job of emulating the Thief-> Assassin progression, I'd focus on using Thrashing Dragon, Broken Blade and Steel Serpent, although picking up some Veiled Moon is both fun and full of useful utility abilities.

To help downplay the supernatural aspects of the Stalker, you could trade out a discipline for Primal Fury, and maybe go into the Dragon Fury PrC. It has less of a stealth focus, but with better BAB, Saves and an emphasis on really boosting your TWF damage, its very tempting to pick up.

The interesting part about the character is the development through story. Matthew is normally a very happy go luck character but that changes dramatically after his love interest dies in story and becomes very vengful

In the PF game I have literally sold my soul for the power to avenge her through a death contract (same as the premote item in game. You get the power to kill those responsible but lose everything in the process I went from NG to CE instantly. we're working out details on the bonuses etc now.

I'd like to hear more opinions though.