PDA

View Full Version : enchanting items to gain feats

j_spencer93
2015-01-31, 09:32 PM
Ok i have seen a site that shows a list of items that grant/replicate feats, and it has combat expertise and mobility listed with a price for enchantment. where did these come from?

OldTrees1
2015-01-31, 09:38 PM
Magic Items Granting Feats (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/feats.html)

j_spencer93
2015-01-31, 09:40 PM
lol thanks but i think i didn't make what i wanted clear. I meant where did combat expertise's price come from? I can't find it. Putting combat expertise and mobility on my armor would be awesome. deflect arrows ontop of that would also be nice. but that is getting a little expensive.

Oddman80
2015-01-31, 09:50 PM
The source book is listed at the end of each item. So , for example the armor enchantment granting mobility was found in the Magic Item Compendium, while the armor that granted Combat Reflexes (not Expertise) could be found in the book Savsge Species. If you have those books, you can find the items, and see the list price there (If you don't trust the numbers posted in the link)

j_spencer93
2015-01-31, 09:51 PM
The source book is listed at the end of each item. So , for example the armor enchantment granting mobility was found in the Magic Item Compendium, while the armor that granted Combat Reflexes (not Expertise) could be found in the book Savsge Species. If you have those books, you can find the items, and see the list price there (If you don't trust the numbers posted in the link)

thanks for the correction lol. and ok, the combat one i wasn't sure since their was no book after it but that's because it shares a source with the item under it. thanks.
and deflect arrows isn't given even in the book. crap

Oddman80
2015-01-31, 11:19 PM
You are seeing the name of the feat in bold and underlined.
Then, below that, is the name of an item that grants the feat.
Then, at the very end (in parentheses) is the book in which the item can be found.

For example:

Deflect Arrows (2 options) +2 bonus cost to armor/shield/?? cost
Arrow Deflection: This shield protects the wielder as if he had the Deflect Arrows feat. Shield Special Abilities table (DMG)

In the instance of this listing, the feat you can acquire through an item is the feat "deflect arrows"
You can get it through the "arrow deflection" shield or armor enhancement.
And you can find that item in the Dungeon Master's Guide (aka DMG).

j_spencer93
2015-02-01, 07:40 AM
Lol got that. Sucks you cant add deflect arrows to an item yourself

Greenish
2015-02-01, 11:33 AM
Lol got that. Sucks you cant add deflect arrows to an item yourselfSure you can, if you have Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat and know the appropriate spells (or can wing it).

Oddman80
2015-02-01, 11:45 AM
Or, if you don't have the feats to do it yourself, you can go to any magic arms & armor dealer in town (assuming the town is large enough to have such a shop) and pay for the enchantment to be added. It's a +2 enchantment, so you are looking at 8000 gp to add it to a +1 shield or a set of +1 armor.

Curmudgeon
2015-02-01, 12:00 PM
Sure you can, if you have Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat and know the appropriate spells (or can wing it).
Well, maybe. If you're starting with a base item which doesn't have a cost formula, you can't plug in a +2 cost enhancement to that nonexistent formula. Only fixed gp cost enhancements are guaranteed to be usable when you're trying to improve an existing item. And, of course, other DMs may not accept the costs that I reverse-engineered from these items; I'm the only DM who's guaranteed to let you create items granting feats with those costs.

Ruethgar
2015-02-01, 01:14 PM
There is also the price for any feat put on an item of 10k +5k per prerequisite if you wanted to avoid reverse engineered pricing conflicts. I think that was from A&EG, AFB ATM so I can't be sure.

Zaq
2015-02-01, 01:16 PM
There is also the price for any feat put on an item of 10k +5k per prerequisite if you wanted to avoid reverse engineered pricing conflicts. I think that was from A&EG, AFB ATM so I can't be sure.

I'm not convinced that this is as cut-and-dried as you think it is, to be honest. The designers were pretty consistent about not giving feats-from-items a consistent cost.

j_spencer93
2015-02-01, 05:51 PM
well i could see why enchanting an item to grant feats could be a problem, but using the formula stated it wouldn't really be game breaking because it would quickly hit the 200,000 price set on pre epic items.

Ruethgar
2015-02-01, 07:27 PM
Found it, page 128 Arms and Equipment Guide, purely numeric feats like Great Fortitude use the price of the bonus adjusted to double or triple the price for untyped bonuses, Metamagic feats are... not well explained, and any that don't fit those two categories are 10k +5k to 10k per prerequisite. However, like all custom item creation in D&D(apart from spell traps depending on sources), they are just guidelines.

j_spencer93
2015-02-01, 07:53 PM
thank helps loads thanks.