PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 optimize club two weapon fighting.

Shadowscale
2015-02-01, 03:50 AM
What feats would optimize fighting with two clubs, flaws and fighter bonus feats if needed, any classes or prcs to make you better at it? Maybe a ranger with high strength and lowish dex.

edit: Fixed the title.

Karl Aegis
2015-02-01, 03:56 AM
Although the idea that two clubs together could be used as a two-handed weapon is an interesting idea, I don't think there are any weapons like that. If there were it would be cool that if you got one of them disarmed you'd only lose +50% bonus damage from strength (you could switch the one club to both hands though), but Wizards of the Coast never printed anything like that.

TheCrowing1432
2015-02-01, 04:01 AM
did you mean two weapon fighting?

Two handed fighting is a different fighting style altogether,

Shadowscale
2015-02-01, 04:16 AM
did you mean two weapon fighting?

Two handed fighting is a different fighting style altogether,

Yeah I did, that's my mistake.

TheCrowing1432
2015-02-01, 04:22 AM
Yeah I did, that's my mistake.

If thats the case then.

You'll want to pick up Oversized Two Weapon Fighting.

It allows you to treat your offhand weapon as light even if it it isnt.

Since you're going Ranger, you get the TWF line without needing the dex bonus.

Shadowscale
2015-02-01, 04:33 AM
If thats the case then.

You'll want to pick up Oversized Two Weapon Fighting.

It allows you to treat your offhand weapon as light even if it it isnt.

Since you're going Ranger, you get the TWF line without needing the dex bonus.

is there a way to wear medium armor as a ranger and keep your combat style?

TheCrowing1432
2015-02-01, 04:48 AM
is there a way to wear medium armor as a ranger and keep your combat style?

Having your armor made out of mithril causes it to become half its weight and be considered one armor class lighter.

So the standard is Mithril Brestplate on literally every class that is restricted to light armor.

Twurps
2015-02-01, 10:22 AM
Have a look at 'lightning mace' from complete warrior.

It gives you additional attacks when you crit. I know clubs aren't maces, but that's what the 'aptitude' weapon property is for.

OldTrees1
2015-02-01, 11:34 AM
Any reason it is 2 clubs rather than 2 morningstars or maces? The Three Mountain feat causes nausea in foes hit twice.

So I would take:
Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Weapon Focus, Three Mountain, Combat Reflexes, Double Hit, Knockback(if you are Large Sized or are a Goliath)

Spiryt
2015-02-01, 03:15 PM
Well, since clubs are simply slightly worse versions of morningstars and maces, I guess there shouldn't be a reason not to just handwave it...

And yeah, Three Mountains is probably must here, since it actually gives decent reason to use two weapons.

Requirements are pretty harsh though, and saving throw somehow easy though, IIRC.

kernal42
2015-02-01, 04:03 PM
I suggest finding someone to cast Spikes on your clubs every morning. Especially with TWF, that can be a considerable damage boost.

Cheers,
Kernal

Shadowscale
2015-02-01, 08:50 PM
I suggest finding someone to cast Spikes on your clubs every morning. Especially with TWF, that can be a considerable damage boost.

Cheers,
Kernal

Would permanency work with it?

Also, I think there was a build or handbook on clubs around here, I think some feats exist to make it better that maces can't take? Or am I wrong?
Is it advantages to take levels of ranger fighter and rogue? So you can have bonus feats, TWF feats without dex and sneak attack?

JDL
2015-02-01, 09:00 PM
Get a reliable way to have Shillelagh on your weapons too. Double size category damage is a good thing. The downside is that it's only on nonmagical clubs, you have to cast the spell yourself, and it's a short duration.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-01, 09:20 PM
There's a feat in CW called Three Mountains, but you have to be using heavy maces, morningstars, or a greatclub to use it. You could use two small size Greatclubs at an extra -2 penalty to hit and still use that, or just see if your DM will allow it to work with normal clubs.

Regarding casting spells on the clubs to buff them, you can put Unguent of Timelessness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#unguentofTimelessness) on them and their passage of time goes 365 times slower. Shillelagh (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shillelagh.htm) would last six hours per caster level, Spikes with Extend Spell at a caster level of 20th would last just over 24 hours. I'd forget about both of those and get Greater Mighty Wallop and Greater Magic Weapon, both Extended, and both at a caster level of 20th, so they'll last about twenty months. At the standard rate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) those two spells will cost you a grand total of 3,200 gp for both clubs, plus two of the eight doses from a 150 gp pot of Unguent of Timelessness, to have two +5 Clubs that deal damage as though they were colossal size (4d6).

I would make the character a Warblade with two levels of Fighter thrown in and two flaws, and get Weapon Focus/Specialization and Melee Weapon Mastery. Focus mostly on Iron Heart and Tiger Claw maneuvers. As long as your Dex is high enough to get TWF you can wear Gloves of the Balanced Hand in MIC to get Improved TWF, and you don't really need anything beyond that.

Shadowscale
2015-02-01, 10:49 PM
There's a feat in CW called Three Mountains, but you have to be using heavy maces, morningstars, or a greatclub to use it. You could use two small size Greatclubs at an extra -2 penalty to hit and still use that, or just see if your DM will allow it to work with normal clubs.

Regarding casting spells on the clubs to buff them, you can put Unguent of Timelessness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#unguentofTimelessness) on them and their passage of time goes 365 times slower. Shillelagh (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shillelagh.htm) would last six hours per caster level, Spikes with Extend Spell at a caster level of 20th would last just over 24 hours. I'd forget about both of those and get Greater Mighty Wallop and Greater Magic Weapon, both Extended, and both at a caster level of 20th, so they'll last about twenty months. At the standard rate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) those two spells will cost you a grand total of 3,200 gp for both clubs, plus two of the eight doses from a 150 gp pot of Unguent of Timelessness, to have two +5 Clubs that deal damage as though they were colossal size (4d6).

I would make the character a Warblade with two levels of Fighter thrown in and two flaws, and get Weapon Focus/Specialization and Melee Weapon Mastery. Focus mostly on Iron Heart and Tiger Claw maneuvers. As long as your Dex is high enough to get TWF you can wear Gloves of the Balanced Hand in MIC to get Improved TWF, and you don't really need anything beyond that.

So, is there a way to do this without marital adept classes, any other source book besides magazines though.
If you do all this optimization to have colossal level damage and oversized two weapon fighting and all do you make up for some to most of the weakness of two weapon fighting compared to two handed?