PDA

View Full Version : Thematic Inspiration from Existing Works or Settings

Septimus Faber
2015-02-01, 08:01 AM
[deleted.]

Yora
2015-02-01, 08:24 AM
The starting point for my setting is "Forgotten Realms North, 4,000 years in the past". Magic and demons is from Dragon Age, Daedra from Elder Scrolls, and Jedi, Sith, and Mandalorians from Star Wars. And an overall tone from The Witcher and Seirei no Moribito.

Milo v3
2015-02-02, 10:52 PM
My current setting started with being inspired by greek myth's idea of being able to physically walk to the afterlife and the homes of the gods, with several races being inspired by dragon age's spirits, and some of the magic is severely influenced by Fullmetal Alchemist, Persona, and Blazblue.

Thrawn4
2015-02-03, 05:23 AM
I started with Secret of Mana 3, taking the idea of places of power where you could transform/level up, combined this with the four elements and got a high magic setting. Completely abandoned this idea later on.

Now I get some inspiration mostly from the Lone Wolf series (the RPG, not the tv show), and a hint of Game of Thrones, OotS and The Dark Eye. Two regions were inspired by Morrowind and The Witcher.

arkham618
2015-02-04, 02:11 AM
Swashbuckling clockpunk fantasy setting with gothic undertones. Inspired by Monster Blood Tattoo (novels and stories), Le Chevalier d'Eon (anime), Pirates of the Caribbean (films), Brotherhood of the Wolf (film), Solomon Kane (stories and film), The [Three/Four] Musketeers (novel, films, and TV series), Treasure Island (novel and films), The Brothers Grimm (film), Sleepy Hollow (film), Plunkett & Macleane (film), The Witcher (novels, stories, and video games), The Age of Unreason (novels), The Baroque Cycle (novels), Dragon Age (video games), Da Vinci's Demons (TV series), Le Scorpion (comic), Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (film), Assassin's Creed (video games), Salem (TV series), Claymore (anime), The Marquis (comic).