Amigara
Size/Type: Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 12d8+36 (90 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+4 size, +6 Dex), touch 20, flatfooted 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+17
Attack: Tentacle +14 melee (1d8+4)
Full Attack: 2 Tentacles +14 melee (1d8+4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft. (15 ft. with tentacles)
Special Attacks: Constrict 1d8+4, improved grab, unnerving cry
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/magic, darkvision 60 ft., half-dead, turn resistance +6, turning weakness, unnaturally thin
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +6
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 22, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 6, Cha 16
Skills: Escape Artist +21, Hide +21, Listen +4, Spot +4
Feats: Weapon FinesseB, Weapon Focus (Tentacle), Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Combat Reflexes
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 13-20 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: –

Amigara are humans twisted by aeons spent in darkness. They were once members of an ancient society, criminals who were punished for their crimes by being made to march through an ever-narrowing tunnel magically created to fit their bodies. As the went on, the tunnel became narrower and narrower, stretching and twisting their bodies, until they came to the end...and found themselves unable to escape, their warped bodies no longer to escape. Eventually, the Amigaras would die...or rather, they should have. The stretching and warping of their bodies distorted their anatomies until they literally were devoid of both life and death. Outside the triad of life, death, and undeath, the strange Amigaras have waited for countless centuries beneath the ground. Though they cannot escape on their own, seismic activity, magical, or foolhardy adventurers could easily release them. It is clear that the Amigara were once human, but their bodies are twisted and lengthened, their limbs and neck becoming long, fleshy tentacles. Possessed by mad hatred, these creatures stalk down any prey they can find, crying their distinct howl: “DRR...DRR...DRR!”

Constrict (Ex)
An Amigara deals 1d8+4 points of damage with a successful grapple check.

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, an Amigara must hit a Huge or smaller opponent with a tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Unnerving Cry (Ex)
As a standard action, an Amigara can emit a grinding howl that causes terror in all that hear it. All creatures that can hear the cry must make a DC 19 Will save or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. Even those that succeed on their save are shaken for 1 round. Once a creature saves against an Amigara’s unnerving cry, it is immune to that Amigara’s cry for 24 hours.

Half-Dead (Ex)
An Amigara is neither alive nor dead. While not truly undead, it shares many traits with them. An Amigara is immune to fatigue, exhaustion, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death attacks. An Amigara has a 50% chance to ignore the extra damage dealt by critical hits, sneak attacks, and other precision-based damage. An Amigara is healed by spells and effects that would heal either living creatures or undead creatures, but only if it successfully saves against them. If it fails against either kind of effect, it is damaged as if it were either a living or undead creature, as appropriate for the effect. An Amigara adds its Cha modifier, rather than its Con modifier, to Concentration checks

Turning Weakness (Su)
An Amigara can be turned or rebuked as if it were an undead.

Unnaturally Thin (Ex)
While large, an Amigara is unnaturally thin. It is treated as a Diminutive creature for determining its size bonus to AC and to Hide checks.

Skills
An Amigara has a +15 racial bonus on Escape Artist checks.

Icewalker
2007-04-04, 11:28 PM
Huh, very creepy. Unnaturally thin is a bit wierd, but kinda cool.

I find this being quite......odd.

Karma Guard
2007-04-05, 03:25 AM
Oh man, I read that comic. D:

That's a good adaptation, I think.

Matthew
2007-04-06, 05:56 PM
Looks good. Consider using Bold for the appropriate headings and such, as it makes it easier to read. Why do they have such a low Spot and Listen, though?

Icewalker
2007-04-08, 10:36 PM
Sorry buddy, but I think there are legal issues with this monster.

It is an idea taken from a Manga which I found information about here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyo) and I would assume the story is copyrighted. Seeing as these books are going to be published and sold for money, I would mark this as questionably legal. It's enough of an adaptation that I'm not actually sure it would break the law though.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-11, 02:53 PM
Bump. Icewalker has raised a serious concern; anyone with knowledge of these matters, please give us your input.

Zherog
2007-05-15, 01:07 PM
Some comments and such; note that I haven't read through the feedback left by others, so I may duplicate some stuff.

Attack: Tentacle +14 melee (1d8+4)
Full Attack: 2 Tentacles +14 melee (1d8+4)

Looks like you forgot the -1 penalty to attacks from being Large creatures, and also the use of Dex instead of Str because of Weapon Finesse. These values should be +15 (BAB +9, Str +6, WF +1, Size -1)

Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/magic, darkvision 60 ft., half-dead, turn resistance +6, turning weakness, unnaturally thin

Vision and other senses go first, then everything else. So darkvision should be at the front of your list, not DR.

Also, I don't think they should have turn resistance. They already have more hit dice than their CR, and they're supposed to be vulnerable to turning. By giving them that bonus, you're really just mocking a cleric who makes his Knowledge check and attempts to turn them.

Saves: Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +6

I get values of 7/10/6 for its saves. A 12 HD aberration has base saves of 4/4/8. This dude has ability mods of 3/6/-2.

Feats: Weapon FinesseB, Weapon Focus (Tentacle), Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Combat Reflexes

List feats alphabetically.

and found themselves unable to escape, their warped bodies no longer to escape.

As written, this doesn't make sense.

Though they cannot escape on their own, seismic activity, magical, or foolhardy adventurers could easily release them.

Magical what? It just sort of dangles there, like there should've been more in there.

Unnerving Cry (Ex)
As a standard action, an Amigara can emit a grinding howl that causes terror in all that hear it. All creatures that can hear the cry must make a DC 19 Will save or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. Even those that succeed on their save are shaken for 1 round. Once a creature saves against an Amigara’s unnerving cry, it is immune to that Amigara’s cry for 24 hours.

Can an amigara's unnerving cry affect other amigara?

What ability is the DC based upon? I'm going to guess Charisma, though it might be Constitution. Whichever, you need to say so.

Half-Dead (Ex)
An Amigara is neither alive nor dead. While not truly undead, it shares many traits with them. An Amigara is immune to fatigue, exhaustion, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death attacks. An Amigara has a 50% chance to ignore the extra damage dealt by critical hits, sneak attacks, and other precision-based damage. An Amigara is healed by spells and effects that would heal either living creatures or undead creatures, but only if it successfully saves against them. If it fails against either kind of effect, it is damaged as if it were either a living or undead creature, as appropriate for the effect. An Amigara adds its Cha modifier, rather than its Con modifier, to Concentration checks

You're missing the period on the end of the last sentence.

Otherwise, this is a very cool ability.

Turning Weakness (Su)
An Amigara can be turned or rebuked as if it were an undead.

Can this be learned via a Knowledge (religion) check, or does it still require a Knowledge (dungeoneering) check to learn this piece of information about them?

Unnaturally Thin (Ex)
While large, an Amigara is unnaturally thin. It is treated as a Diminutive creature for determining its size bonus to AC and to Hide checks.

I don't like this ability, but at the moment I can't put my finger on why.

Interesting critter.

DracoDei
2007-05-18, 05:42 PM
As the went on, the tunnel became narrower and narrower, stretching and twisting their bodies, until they came to the end...and found themselves unable to escape, their warped bodies no longer to escape.
That last phrase needs a tune-up.

Edit: Voted yes due to intriguing special abilities. Still needs more feelback from people who know regarding the legal issues.