PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF: Feats for a Witch to take

Crazysaneman
2015-02-01, 03:23 PM
:smallamused:
So last session my TWF was killed by the party Spellslinger (I was stuck in a gelatinous cube that he fireballed, I'm ok with this). I've decided that I'm going to build a witch, and would appreciate some advice from the playground for feats that are fun and interesting to use with a hexer build. Extra hex aside, that is :) Also the DM has OK'ed Ability Focus and I'm going to stack the Sleep hex using the Elf (crossblooded) as my race and the dwarven trait that gives sleep bonuses.

Thanks for any thoughts!
CSM
Just As Planned!

skypse
2015-02-01, 06:29 PM
Witch is a control based support so most feats from the "God Wizard" guide would suite you. Improved initiative, improved familiar, craft wondrous item (especially if you don't have a crafter in your party), Accursed hex, Split Hex, Split Major Hex. That's all on the top of my head.

Psyren
2015-02-01, 06:36 PM
You're also a primary caster so metamagic is a must.

Arbane
2015-02-01, 06:41 PM
If the GM allows you to take a monster trait, Ability Focus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/ability-focus) will up a hex's DC even further. (Edit: Missed that it was approved already...)

Psyren
2015-02-01, 06:47 PM
If the GM allows you to take a monster trait, Ability Focus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/ability-focus) will up a hex's DC even further.

OP's got that one approved, see the last sentence in the first paragraph

Crazysaneman
2015-02-01, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the replies, sorry it took so long to get back (Superbowl + Birthday party took over my life today).

I was thinking about improved familiar and improved init with a compy as a familiar for +4 init. I will have to take a look at split hex. We do have a crafter in the party (3rd party artificer). I will have to take a look at some metamagic (persistent spell looks nice).

Anything else?

NightbringerGGZ
2015-02-02, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the replies, sorry it took so long to get back (Superbowl + Birthday party took over my life today).

I was thinking about improved familiar and improved init with a compy as a familiar for +4 init. I will have to take a look at split hex. We do have a crafter in the party (3rd party artificer). I will have to take a look at some metamagic (persistent spell looks nice).

Anything else?

If you're going to invest in a familiar, take a look at the Familiar Folio that just came out. There's some fun stuff in there.

MightyPirate
2015-02-02, 09:16 AM
The healing hex is underrated. If you're not taking the gravewalker archetype the positive energy is a great way to stay useful when you can't use mind effecting hexes. Vermin, oozes, plants, and constructs remain a problem. Also if you can't use a poppet to deliver touch spells at range then the prehensile hair hex becomes much more useful.

If you can swing variant channeling on a Hex Channeler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/archetypes/paizo---witch-archetypes/hex-channeler) then you really want to. Probably not worth the archetype otherwise. If you have problems with GMs targeting your familiar and wiping your spells then Synergist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/archetypes/paizo---witch-archetypes/synergist-witch-archetype) may be worth it although losing so many hexes is painful.

You do want Spirit Talker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/spirit-talker). Arcane Enlightenment from the Lore spirit is great but it'll make you MAD like nobody's business. Heavens is also very worth it for Enveloping Void or Heaven's leap. If you're doing any blasting then Flame and Waves spirits bring a lot to the table with Flame Curse or Crashing Waves.

Grab a wand of Hex Vulnerability too. It's great for Heaven's Leap and Healing out of combat and if you can squeeze in Soothsayer it makes Fortune Cackling much more viable.

Barstro
2015-02-02, 09:36 AM
I recently played a witch and had luck with the following;
1) Improved Initiative
H) Extra Hex (to have Cackle and Evil Eye right away). Not necessary, but it really makes fights easy for everyone else.
3) Accursed Hex (Reusing a save-or-suck is vital)
5) Spell Penetration (Came into play once the entire game and I still failed it, I'd swap this one first)
7) Improved Familiar (fantastic)
9) Greater Spell Penetration (ok, this one first. But my party had another spell caster who was crafting so I had nothing else to take)
11) Split Hex. Doubles how good your Witch is.
13) Craft Wondrous Item (lost our other caster. Could be taken earlier)
15) Eschew Materials (Was using Magic Jar quite a bit and needed to cast when possessing)

I never saw much need for meta magic. Quickened wand was enough for my needs.

The ones that I think every Witch should take are Improved Initiative, Accursed Hex, Improved Familiar (wand-wielding faerie dragons are nice), and Split Hex

Other ones are party dependent.

Contrary to what MightyPirate suggests, I think the there are better low-level hexes than Healing. But Major Healing is well worth the spot when you can get it. "Normal" healing hex is ok when you cannot use mind effecting, but you can still use Misfortune and I think that one is better.

MightyPirate
2015-02-02, 09:58 AM
Admittedly Healing is a lot less useful if you're not taking advantage of Hex Vulnerability but a first level spell slot turning into a number of cure moderates equal to your level is gold. Other hexes may be better but it's worth it if you can spare a feat for Extra Hex. In my case I have it on a shaman and I handily cover our party's healing needs even without channeling. Less important if someone's already got healbotting covered.

Thanks for reminding me about Split Hex. You want to combo that with the Scar hex and some small critters that your party can carry around in familiar satchels. Now your hexes have a range of 30ft. not just from you but from anyone in your party up to a mile away. In some cases this lets you contribute to the party from the tavern or some other safe place. At least the room that your party has just cleared so you can hang back a bit.

Crazysaneman
2015-02-02, 12:02 PM
Spirit talker is amazing. Just... WOW!

Never thought about Eschew Materials, but I do see your point. Good stuff to be sure. Also, completely forgot about Greater Spell Penetration.

Not too worried about Healing hex as we have 2 divine casters (cleric healbot and paladin) and a rogue with a wand of cure light in the party. Good stuff otherwise though.

I will have to take a look at the new familiars book, maybe go pick it up today.

Again, thanks for all the great replies :)

:amused:

Barstro
2015-02-02, 01:12 PM
You want to combo that with the Scar hex... this lets you contribute to the party from the tavern or some other safe place. At least the room that your party has just cleared so you can hang back a bit.

Note, (besides being cheesy) this does not work with Cackle.