PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Daelkyr campaign ideas

Biotroll
2015-02-01, 04:10 PM
Fair warning at the start of it all: This is probably going to be a wall of text.

Those of you who didn't run away, hello. :smallsmile: I'm preparing a campaign in Eberron for my players and I wanted to focus on aberrations and Daelkyr and I also want to introduce my players to psionics. Now I have some idea of what I want to accomplish with my story, but I've got block at the moment and not much time to think about it, so I'm looking for help here. Below you will find the background for the story and some major sides I want to appear there and what their motives are. I'll need help in gluing it together though.

In our last campaign in the Eberron my players faced the Blood of Vol and resurgence of Mark of Death. There were many undead showing in all Khorvair but Vol was forced to stop her project and sacrifice her valued researchers and high priest in order to get the adventurers of her back. The adventurers were hailed heroes for stopping the undead plague and Vol learned that she really found a way to make a Mark of Death appear again. Lady Vol is now getting some time to not draw too much attention again and plans to try her plan again later. The five nations are fighting each other about who is responsible for this however and there are smaller border conflicts again. As they are now, they won't be able to unite to fight against the Daelkyr and his armies.

The cause of all that is going to happen in the campaign. He is not evil, more like scientist, and he was researching potential of the races living at Khorvaire. In his time he noticed that some individuals show much more potential when put under stress and are able to overcome many obstacles. This was fascinating for him and this is what he chose to study. He spent centuries trying to modify his servants and then test them and put them under different stressful situation in hopes to make them show the hightened potential. Unforutantely for him he had only little to no success and was pondering a new way to study this problem. He decided that instead of using modified creatures he would use pure natives (or how to call humans) and give them a seemingly world threatening obstacle to solve. This meant he started preparing armies and made a clone of himslef, albeit far less powerful, that could be controlled remotedly by him and which was meant to be killed in the end of this test. To his surprise he didn't get to actualy launch this project as his trusted lieutenant - a powerful mindflayer and one of his last test - attacked his remotedly controlled clone in belief he is attacking the Daelkyr himself, and managed to best him and eat his brain thus obtaining knowledge and powers of said clone but also trapping the mind of Daelkyr in himself without knowing so. The Daelkyr trapped in the mindflayers head decided to not unmake him but instead to watch his next actions.

The Daelkyr doesn't have a name now and I would like to give him some. He will not make an appearance in the campaign untill the very end when the mindflayer is slain and his psychinc projection is going to thank the players for their cooperation.

This is the BBEG the players will fight in this campaign. He was lieutenant to the Daelkyr for decades and was put under the stress by being given role of leadership and very limited life span. If he performed well, which he did, his life span was prolonged by the Daelkyr. If not, well, tough luck. However he was forgotten by his master in past few years and was not given additional years to live which annoyed him to no end. He tried to talk to his master about it but with no luck. He finaly snapped and attacked him, hoping to be destroyed and thus ending it all. He didn't realise he won untill few hours after he ate the brain of his former master. He had troubles accepting all the knowledge of his master and only could recollect small part of it. When he realised he could make himself immortal if he could access all the knowledge he started looking for ways to do so. He started commanding the armies of aberrations again and started creating large psi-crystal based brain (as I don't want the elder brains to exist in my game) which was supported and given energy by a large biomass. He connected himself to this brain and it allowed him to access more knowledge, so he could prolong his life span, improve his body to that of Ulitharid. He used the armies made by his late master to mine more crystals and to futher improve his brain. However he also found out he could absorb creatures mind and add it with its knowledge and personality in his brain. He then made research to make symbionts that would allow other creatures to connect to his brain and share their thougths and knowledge with him without having to eat them and thus weakening his armies. With this breakthrough he had much more mind-power to search his knowledge and he could easily command vast numbers of his underlings. He became The Many as he united many different minds with single goal on their mind. He was still in controll and could disconnect if he wished so but he realised he created something magnificent and decided to get even more power by getting back to Xoriat. To break through the seals he started to assimilate the inhabitants of Khorvair in search of way how to do it. This is why the players will fight him.

He is the one fighting The Many for several months now for resources as he is making his own research of psionics and has a special psionic branch. Lately his enemy was acting more inteligently and was able to coordinate better. By studying the corpses of the enemies they found out about the symbiont that allowed them to connect their minds together. The Lord of Blades wanted this technology as ti would allow him to command his legions with a thought and conquering the meatbags would be so much easier. His researchers couldn't find a way of reproducing the symbionts who were not willing to connect to them anyway. Researchers are now trying to make something similar with use of crystals only, but are missing the main thing - the brain.
When players get to 6th or 7th level, they should be well known in at least some circles. The Lord of Blades will send his emissary to them, as they fight common enemy, to help them as best as he can. The truth is that this emissary is trying not only to help them, but to gather as much information about The Many as he can. This basicaly means that the players will be given free cohort - a warforged psion, most likely a seer - who will be 2 levels below them and who they will be able to controll in battles to get used to psionics. Outside of combat he should be good with knowledges/gathering information and if asked for opinion, he would give one. (He will also be the voice saying: Are you sure? if the chose to act irrationaly, which they will).
I will need a name for the psionic branch and some recommendations about the cohort itself. I know the basic rules of psionics but I never really read through the powers and only started now, so I'm a bit lacking in what it can and cannot do and which powers to pick. As I see it now, psions are not good at healing and buffing others, but have some nice selfbuffing and blasting. Are there some tricks, except psicrystal-share pain-vigor I should know about?

I want Droaam and the sisters to play some role in this. I see it now, that they can foretell a great catastrophy in near future and they plan to use it to strengthen their power. When they find out it's the aberrations threatening them all they propose and aliance to Darguun (and more importantly to Dhakaani tribes) to prove themselves to humans and gain more respect. In the end of the campaing Droaam should be recognized as a state by other nations.

On behalf of Droaam they will gather their armies and manufacture byeshk weapons to march against aberrations once again to show everyone the glory of old Dhakaan empire. The Dhakaan tribes plan to overtake the leadership of Darguun which will most likely end in civil war once the aberration threat is somehow dealt with.

I've got some basic ideas of what I want to put my players through. They will start at a ship and they already know it and were told, that the campaign will spend only short time on seas. I plan them to be returning from some island for whatever their reasons back to Khorvair but being attacked on their way back by a ship that will be full of humans with aberration/deformity feats and with psychic warrior as their leader. Once they defeat them and found hostages in the ship and get back they should go on and investigate what is going on.
Untill level 6 or so I plan them to be mainly investigating the cults of Dragon Below in different parts of Khorvair. After that I want to send them into Shadow marches and spend some time there, probably untill level 10, fighting aberrations and more cultists. Then they should be declared troublemakers and war instigator by several nobles who are followers of daelkyr and the party will be forced to hide. This is when Droaam will come in and will accept them and even fake their deaths so that they can work in secrecy withouth having everyone at their throats. They should make some more adventures into Khyber to look for behloder sage who lives free and wants to be left alone and who will send them to ask more questions to aboleths. After meeting aboleths the party should be around level 15 or 16 and will be sent to final confrontation with The Many and thus ending the campaign.

As you see, this is only very rough idea and I need to fill it in. I got some plans for first few levels. They will be searching clues on behalf of house Lyrandar for missing ships in the area and will find a smaller hideout of cultists which they will fight with and find out some clues about symbionts etc. On returning back and getting reward they will be hired by another house (not sure yet) to find out his missing relative who disappeared and I want them to go to investigate a weird travelling carneval. But after that I am blank.

TL, DR and still want to help:
- looking for name for Daelkyr lord who studies potential of various races
- looking for name for psionic branch under control of Lord of Blades
- looking for list of psionic powers
- looking for power tricks that could be usefull
- looking for ideas for adventures with some aberration or cult of dragon below theme

That's it right now as I am tired and running out of time. I will try to chime in with some more info once I can. Also sorry for any mistakes in the text as it was all a bit rushed.
Thanks for help playground. :smallsmile:

Andry
2015-02-01, 08:18 PM
List of powers and all psionics in general can be found on the srd for free.
For the Lord of Blades psionic branch how about calling it the Admant Crystal Legion

Coidzor
2015-02-02, 03:49 AM
TL, DR and still want to help:
- looking for name for Daelkyr lord who studies potential of various races

Doesn't ring any bells, you may have to make a name up for this guy.

- looking for name for psionic branch under control of Lord of Blades

Crystalforged, Warcrystals, Crysforged, The Mind Blades, Military Intelligence, The Subtle Blades, The Deep Thinkers...

- looking for list of psionic powers

Have you already raided the Mind's Eye Web Enhancements over on the WOTC archive?

d20srd.org has a good chunk of them, and there's not many outside of what's from Expanded Psionic's Handbook that's in the SRD and what's in Dragon Magazine, Complete Psionics, and/or the Mind's Eye.

Hyperconscious is a well recommended 3rd party book and Dreamscarred Press did a pretty good update and expansion of psionics for Pathfinder that's backwards compatible in ~99% of cases.

- looking for power tricks that could be usefull

Not familiar with this term, sorry. :smallconfused:

- looking for ideas for adventures with some aberration or cult of dragon below theme

Read this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?323220-Creepiness-in-the-Daelkyr-Half-Blood-race) about Daelkyr Halfbloods and you'll find some ideas and even a sample premise for an adventure or two.

Biotroll
2015-02-03, 10:15 AM
I'm currently using list in Complete Psionics so I guess I'll stick to that. I know there is list of powers at srd but I thought it's only from EPH. I'll take a look at Pathfinder stuff.

Anyway, is there some more info in later editions on Daelkyr/Dhakaan? I don't own any rulebook past 3.5 so I don't know if I should ask around for people with newer edition books and try to dig up some nice plots or ideas there.

Also thanks for the thread link, will check it tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies so far.:smallsmile:

Coidzor
2015-02-03, 12:41 PM
I'm currently using list in Complete Psionics so I guess I'll stick to that. I know there is list of powers at srd but I thought it's only from EPH. I'll take a look at Pathfinder stuff.

Anyway, is there some more info in later editions on Daelkyr/Dhakaan? I don't own any rulebook past 3.5 so I don't know if I should ask around for people with newer edition books and try to dig up some nice plots or ideas there.

Have a link, then. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed) :smallsmile:

They had some Eberron content in their subscription service for 4e, though you'd have to ask the 4e subforum if they recall there being anything of particular interest to you to investigate further. I think they also published some books. with Eberron stuff in there.

Kol Korran
2015-02-04, 05:01 AM
Hey Biotroll! Seems like a very interesting campaign to run. Some notes, some about your questions, but also about some other stuff:

1) About the Daelkyr- If the party don't know anything about it, and it just appears at the end, then there is no emotional involvement. The likely response will be "Um... ok...". You need to build him up somewhat, make him somewhat relevant. How about the following idea: The Daelkyr, though trapped, can exert some control. He can contact people telepathically, maybe even have some mental affects, maybe control creatures for a few brief moments.... He is still conducting his experiment, and would like to see how the party faces The Many. In a way, he is an elusive and secret patron of the party. The Many is also aware of his presence, but he doesn't fully know where the Daelkyr resides, just that it is OUT THERE. And it may drive him somewhat to panic, to extremes. It may be a weak point. This way you can have the play between the Daelkyr and The Many further enhance both, and give the party something to play with.

As to a name... No one really knows the original names of the Daelkyr, or even if they have one. Usually other people give them a name. I suggest at least that at start he would be elusive. but some ideas:
The Potential Seeker/ maker
The Assesor
The Lord of Essence
The Myth Maker
The lord of Karma
The Fate lord

2) About The Many: I had a similar idea once. It's important to play all the creatures in a way as one creature, just many bodies. You could do this in many ways. Some thoughts:
- Give the creatures some basic template, giving abilities like "Can't be flanked" while at least one person is alive (Watch out if this seriously screws rogues). Or maybe using each other's saves, or the like.
-Gradual increase in power. As the Many develops, he can use more and more powers through his connected beings- some low level psionics, maybe his own feats, other powers... as time passes, he can use more, and more.
- The Many learns... with passing encounters, he learns of the party tactics, and prepares specific things against them. He happens to have the right defenses and counters against them, the right spells, feats, powers, creatures.
- The Many learns to assimilate more and more creatures. At first just humanoids and aberrations, then more types of creatures, till maybe at the undead undead, dragons and outsiders.
- I highly suggest to read The Giant's Villain Workshop thread (Excellent) (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/rTKEivnsYuZrh94H1Sn.html) and Dust's "Building a villain 101". (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?170628-Building-a-Villain-101-The-5-Ls) Both are great.

3) I really suggest you get the Magic of Eberron book. It has psiforged (psionic warforged) and The half daelkyr, along with quite a few symbionts. I assume it could be useful, though most consider it more high powered than the usual Eberron stuff. Also- Lords of Madness can be quite useful, for more aberrations.

4) The Lord of Blades: Be prepared for the party to NOT ally with him. He does not exactly has the best of reputations. And I assume most of the party ARE meat bags, so... The Enemy of my enemy can go only so far. I suggest to give the warforged some sort of an advantage against The Many (perhaps, with them not being out of flesh, the Many can't control them?) that will make an alliance with them more favorable.
As to names:
Psionic Research division: Psy reach, Mind reach, The Crystal True (Psiforged embed crystals to gain psionic pwoers. Can work nicely with the Psi crystals) The Crysense. The Center.
names for the warforged cohort:i suggest you decide on it's personality and choose some sort of a noun to match. Many warforged seem to be that way. But a tradition amongst The lord of Blades follwoers is to name important figures as some sort of a blade. So how about: Kryss, Needle, Edge? Or as been mentioned- Mind blade or Just "Sharp"?

I haven't yet played with psionics, so I can't really help there.

5) The symbiont itself: Most Symbionts are quite apparent. I suggest this should be quite subtle. I'm thinking something on the lines of what the Draak used on Molari in Babylon 5? It is a symbiont that attaches at the neck, but is flat, very discreet (In the series it was unclear if it can camouflage itself with the wearer). Maybe give it invisibility or such? Also, not all minions of The Many have to wear this. Some, especially in high profile key positions may go without it (Especially when the party starts to suspect) so you can't just identify all of The MAny's associates by looking for a symbionts. Soem may be allies for other reasons- worship, commerce (It can supply many Khyber crystals), or even being blackmailed (The Many knows many things...)

6) Droaam: I LOVE the country! I intend to run my next campaign there, only in a much earlier time. But never mind that. A few things to keep in mind about the region:
- The hags: I think they hold HUGE roleplay potential. There is one good article about them by Keith here. (http://keith-baker.com/dragonmarks-66-droaam-and-the-daughters-of-sora-kell/) I could definitely see them manipulating things from behind the scenes.
- Drooam was a major battle ground between the Dhakanni and the Daelkyr. The Crag is the result of that war. the place could hold a lot of information, possibly equipment to help in that war.
- The Byeshk mountains at the north. Perfect against Aberrations!
- Gray wall is ruled by that Psionic Illithid! He could definitely have some info about the Daelkyr, and he seeks revenge! But what might such a twisted mind ask in return?
- And lets not forget- Moradin Flesh weaver. Probably one of the most powerful entities in Khorvaire, and arguably the most knowledgeable about Aberrations. But he is known for not liking to be disturbed, and all manner of strange creatures near his tower. Will the party dare approach him?
- I would try to play it that the party at some point (Maybe after being framed as you suggested), run to Drooam, where they try to do some research and come up with the options above. I'd then let them try and see what to pursue, what chances to take. All can be hazardous. I wouldn't hand things to them.

7) Possible other force to involve here: The Inspired of Sarlona. If ANYONE understand psionics- it is them. You could maybe start with The Many Trying to disguise his attacks as being made by Sarlonan forces. He hopes to draw Khorvaire into a war with them, weaken both sides, and use that to his advantage. Plus, it's a good decoy, and it can bring the Kalashtar out of hiding, so he could take them as well. Plus, it may throw the party a bit out of the loop, as they try to investigate the Sarlonan a bit at first (And why the hell are they using these flesh thingies? :smalltongue: )Which will make it easier to blame them later on. (Sarlona demands retribution!)

8) Another group of possible alleis arethe Gate Keepers of course- They have fought Aberations for a loooong time. If you need them.

9) Some ideas for adventures:
- If you remember The "many facets of Darkness" campaign, there was an underwater adventure, where the party entered a domain of a lost Daelkyr, with a sort of an unmappable maze due to shifting tunnels and such. (The party didn't much welcome this puzzle though). They sought some ancient info that could help them. You can replace it with some info of the Daelkyr you plan for. Or maybe of the Mind flayer or experiments or such. Aboleth at the end. A bit messy using underwater mechanics, but definitely suspenseful.(Levels 6 or 7 i think) I can dig the info if you want, I think I archived it somewhere.
- The same adventure had a small dungeon in little ziggurat of the Dhakanni, that was long ago invaded by Aberrations, who became trapped there. It featured a struggle between a gauth and his minions, and a warped medusa (In Eberron they are creations of the Daelkyr as well). The party needed to deal with the two. Fits a low level party (around level 3-4 I think). I can try digging that up as well.
- If you have Lords of Madness, you can easily have a mystery/ impersonation adventure with the Tsochari taking control of bodies of creatures. Perhaps Draonmarked personal? Make it someone high ranking enough so brutal force and interrogation will not fly.
- In the adventure Eyes of the Lich Queen, they have a prison who has been partly infiltrated by Dolgauths who use the population to mine precious crystals. You can have something similar- Some sort of a penal colony or such, which looks kosher on the outside, but in it's depths aberrations are working the prisoners to find more "fitting" Crystals for The Many's psionics devices and super crystal stuff. This place gets backed up by dragon marks (Warding or sentinel) and looks fine on the outside. The party needs to decide who to do a "break in prison". And survive.
- You could have an experimental area, where some warforged (Of the Lord of Blades or regardless) have been captured and are experimented upon. you could have the prototypes of flesh-machine unique monsters, or aberrations with mechanical grafts. Once this is destroyed, and warforged are saved, one of them could link them to the Lord of Blades.
- You could show case The Many's manipulation, and also help frame the party in war instigation, by putting the party in various missions concerning diplomatic efforts in Sharn. debates, assassinations, trade treaties, infringing on dragonmarked privileges and more. (Again, look at the Draak in Babylon 5). If I remember correctly both Boranel and Kaius sent relatives to each other, as assurances. What if someone tries to assassinate them? (But you'll need to have the party as members of the court for that). What if the is an attempt on the life of the Keeper of The Flame? (No success is needed, enough to accuse someone else) Or Aurelia? Or if you don't liek to deal with such prominent figures, you can easily do with less prominent ones. TheMany could easily have agents in any of the house of shadows, or other sources...

I will try to think of other things, I have to go now. Good luck!