Initiative: +5
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 40 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +5 Dex, +6 natural), touch 14, flatfooted 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+16
Attack: Bite +14 melee (1d8+4)
Full Attack: Bite +14 melee (1d8+4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Web, spell-like abilities, tangled mythos
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/magic, darkvision 60 ft., fabled lore, immunity to poison, low-light vision, weave page, spell resistance 20
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +4
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +7, Climb +19, Diplomacy +16, Perform (Storytelling) +24, Tumble +18
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Dodge, Mobility, Ability Focus (Web of Mythos)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, Fable (2-3) or Mythos (6-8)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 11-18 HD (Large), 19-24 HD (Huge)

Mythweavers are magical arachnids who have a strong passion–some would say, an obsession–for stories. They appear as large, spider-like creatures with a parchment-like carapace covered in what would seem to be scrawls of ink. Though monstrous in form, they are very civil unless threatened, and would much rather swap stories with an adventurer than fight him. If an adventurer tells a Mythweaver a good story (DC 20), the Mythweaver is automatically friendly towards him. However, when angered, Mythweavers can be fierce foes. They can trap foes in webs of both silk and stories, and can imbue pages with explosive or entrapping runes. Mythweavers speak Common and Undercommon, but can use their tongues spell-like ability to speak any language.

Web (Ex)
Mythweavers can dangle from silken strands. A single strand is strong enough to support the Mythweaver and one other large creature (or two medium, or four small creatures, etc.). Mythweavers can throw a web eight times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to Huge size. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check or burst it with a Strength check. Both have a DC of 18. Both are standard actions. The check DCs are Constitution-based.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will–arcane mark, erase, secret page, tongues; 3/day–explosive runes (DC 16), sepia snake sigil (DC 16); 1/day–legend lore. Caster level 8th. All DC’s are Charisma based.

Tangled Mythos (Su)
Once per day, a Mythweaver can attempt to trap an enemy in a web of stories. As a standard action, it may attempt to trap any one creature within 30 ft of it. If the creature fails a DC 20 Will save, it is trapped within a realm of stories, very similarly to a maze. Each round, the character may attempt to find a “plot hole” in the story that will allow it to return by making a DC 20 Intelligence or Perfrom (Storytelling) check as a full round action. If the subject doesn’t escape, the web disappears after 10 minutes, forcing the subject to leave. On escaping or leaving the web, the subject reappears where it had been when this ability was used. If this location is filled with a solid object, the subject appears in the nearest open space. Spells and abilities that move a creature within a plane, such as teleport and dimension door, do not help a creature escape a web of mythos, although a plane shift spell allows it to exit to whatever plane is designated in that spell. Other Mythweavers are not affected by the web of mythos.

Fabled Lore (Ex)
A Mythweaver may make a Perform (Storytelling) check in place of any Knowledge check.

Weave Page (Ex)
As a move action, a Mythweaver can weave silk into the shape of a page. This page is of the highest quality and can be written on as if it were normal paper. A Mythweaver often uses these pages as the targets for its explosive runes and sepia snake sigil spell-like abilities.

Skills:
Mythweavers have a +8 racial bonus on Climb and Perform (Storytelling) checks. A Mythweaver can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. Mythweavers use either their Strength or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher.

Icewalker
2007-04-04, 09:43 PM
Damn! Very nice. I like the Tangled Mythos ability. Very, very cool.

I have actually been working on a set of spiders for MitPII as well, however mine don't have any awesome twists, as this one, just man-eater spiders.

Very impressive.

Matthew
2007-04-06, 04:52 PM
Good stuff. I wonder whether it should have a Leap +8 Racial Bonus? Also, I am not clear on the function of Story Telling Checks in the place of Knowledge Checks. I like the idea, but I would like to hear more about the fluff the mechanic represents.

GuesssWho
2007-04-15, 07:36 PM
Very cool, great idea.
Reminds me of Terry Pratchett, and his whole 'stories are alive' thing.

Maldraugedhen
2007-04-15, 10:57 PM
Oh, yoinked so very hard. This would work perfectly in a lair I'm planning out for an upcoming campaign. Party hosts!

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-15, 11:43 PM
A librimancer's nemesis?
Foreshadowy!
*yoinks*

XtheYeti
2007-04-16, 07:20 AM
this is about the best thing to every happen to spiders. a spider that isnt just your average creepy crawler. very nice, i like