PDA

View Full Version : Help with my first game?

Icarus13
2015-02-01, 04:47 PM
So me and a couple of friends started a campaign, and it happens to be my first. I made a Gnome Cleric who's deity is Garl Glittergold. I am currently level 2. The stats are rolled are in the 14-16 ranges except for dex and str. I believe my dex is 6 and my str is 9. I was wondering what feats I should plan on taking(I should be leveling next game). Im debating either prestiging to saint or mystic theurge as a gnome illusionist. Do you guys have any tips for a first time player in general or something that can help me with my character?

Invader
2015-02-01, 04:52 PM
So me and a couple of friends started a campaign, and it happens to be my first. I made a Gnome Cleric who's deity is Garl Glittergold. I am currently level 2. The stats are rolled are in the 14-16 ranges except for dex and str. I believe my dex is 6 and my str is 9. I was wondering what feats I should plan on taking(I should be leveling next game). Im debating either prestiging to saint or mystic theurge as a gnome illusionist. Do you guys have any tips for a first time player in general or something that can help me with my character?

It's really very wide open what you can at this point. Is there anything you'd like to do specifically? Just casting spells in general, summoning monsters to help in fughts, buffing your party members, ranged combat, melee combat? A cleric is good at all them and more so it depends on what you're interested in.

Knowing your actual stats for each score would be helpful, and what feat and domains did you take at first lvl?

I'm playing a pretty standard cleric archer in our current campaign. I'm a human but I have precise shot, weapon focus longbow, extend spell, zen archery, and point blank shot at 5th lvl.

He's not setting the world on fire with his bow but he's proficient enough to be competent and he still has all of his spells to fall back on.

Icarus13
2015-02-01, 04:59 PM
Well my dex is **** so ranged combat is sort of out of the question. I don't have my character sheet as my DM uses all of ours to help write our campaign. And that's the thing, I have no idea what I want to do and any research i attempt to do comes back with a lot of abbreviations and technical things that I don't understand at all. I don't remember what I took for my first feat.

Invader
2015-02-01, 05:05 PM
Well my dex is **** so ranged combat is sort of out of the question. I don't have my character sheet as my DM uses all of ours to help write our campaign. And that's the thing, I have no idea what I want to do and any research i attempt to do comes back with a lot of abbreviations and technical things that I don't understand at all. I don't remember what I took for my first feat.

Zen archery is a feat that allows you to use your wisdom instead of Dex for ranged attacks. That being said, being decent at archery is kind of feat dependent and you're not really set up for it.

The best thing for now since you're pretty new is to just stick with your classic cleric. Get some heavy armor and a mace and get to know all your spells in combat or buff yourself and smash some monsters in melee although it'd be better if your str were higher for this. Pick extend spell or improved initiative, both good feats, and just keep it simple.

For the record, wisdom should be your highest score followed by con if you're in combat a lot or Cha if you're fighting a lot of undead so you get more turn attempts.