PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 / PF - Which spells MUST be banned or altered (up to high levels)?

Zelekendel
2015-02-01, 05:57 PM
For sensible play in the oldschool Dungeon Crawl-ish format / modules, which spells would absolutely need to be banned or altered for the play balance of the adventures to stay closer to reasonably intact - not in terms of class vs class power, tiers will obviously remain, but in terms of not wrecking the adventure or auto-trivializing encounters overmuch (examples, Force Cage the BBEG, melt down / bypass all the walls, scryport to final areas etc. etc.) WITHOUT going the route of making an overhaul or deep mod - just spells!

I've been playing and DMing for a good while, but I'd like to hear opinions from other veterans.
¨
PS. I should add - Core or Forgotten Realms-specific spells only.

True believer
2015-02-01, 06:16 PM
Shivering Touch from Frostburn.... This should be at least a Level 7 spell

Amphetryon
2015-02-01, 06:18 PM
For sensible play in the oldschool Dungeon Crawl-ish format / modules, which spells would absolutely need to be banned or altered for the play balance of the adventures to stay closer to reasonably intact - not in terms of class vs class power, tiers will obviously remain, but in terms of not wrecking the adventure or auto-trivializing encounters overmuch (examples, Force Cage the BBEG, melt down / bypass all the walls, scryport to final areas etc. etc.) WITHOUT going the route of making an overhaul or deep mod - just spells!

I've been playing and DMing for a good while, but I'd like to hear opinions from other veterans.

Follow the link to the old Test of Spite rules. Within the spoiler is a fix/ban list. It's generally a good guideline to avoid the most broken bits of the game:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=8399975&postcount=2