PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder whats the difference between immunity and resistance?

hoborobot
2015-02-01, 07:27 PM
our group is currently playing Reign of Winter campaign, and the gm though that my aasimar shaman's 5 points of resistance would somehow make him a tank to be reconed with while being a spellcaster. is he correct in taking the natural 5 cold resistance from me or am is one of us paranoid?

Karl Aegis
2015-02-01, 07:34 PM
Not sure why you would want to recon with your tanks. Usually you would want a lighter vehicle to do your scouting.

Tohsaka Rin
2015-02-01, 07:38 PM
Zing.

It's 5 points of cold resistance. The average cone of cold (for example) is 10d6 or so points of damage.

Straight down the middle, 30 points of damage on average (or so), and you'd only take 25 with you resistance.

1/6th less damage.

Does that look like a massive change to you? That's one less cure light wounds, at best.

hoborobot
2015-02-01, 07:45 PM
my build is not meant for fighting. in fact it sucks for fighting. i literally have 11 str 12 dex 10 con 18 wis 16 cha 14 int. i built this char so i could do the wandering hex into Lore and pick Arcane Enlightenment so i could pick from sor/wiz spellbook

hoborobot
2015-02-01, 07:48 PM
Zing.

It's 5 points of cold resistance. The average cone of cold (for example) is 10d6 or so points of damage.

Straight down the middle, 30 points of damage on average (or so), and you'd only take 25 with you resistance.

1/6th less damage.

Does that look like a massive change to you? That's one less cure light wounds, at best.

i geuss he's right. but you still didnt clarify the difference

Hazrond
2015-02-01, 07:52 PM
i geuss he's right. but you still didnt clarify the difference

Immunity means no damage, Resistance is a penalty to damage, if something deals 40 cold damage to something with 10 cold resistance it will take 30 damage, a creature with cold immunity will take 0 damage, if he dealt 10 cold damage to the creature with 10 cold resistance it would equal out to 0 damage

hoborobot
2015-02-01, 07:56 PM
Immunity means no damage, Resistance is a penalty to damage, if something deals 40 cold damage to something with 10 cold resistance it will take 30 damage, a creature with cold immunity will take 0 damage, if he dealt 10 cold damage to the creature with 10 cold resistance it would equal out to 0 damage

thanks for the explanation.

jaydubs
2015-02-01, 08:26 PM
our group is currently playing Reign of Winter campaign, and the gm though that my aasimar shaman's 5 points of resistance would somehow make him a tank to be reconed with while being a spellcaster. is he correct in taking the natural 5 cold resistance from me or am is one of us paranoid?

If I'm reading this right, your DM is concerned your 5 cold resistance will make your character too tanky for a spellcaster?

If so, I'd say your DM is definitely overreacting in taking it away from you if this were a normal campaign. A lot of enemies don't use cold damage, and as you level those who do will quickly do far more than 5 damage.

But I've never played Reign of Winter, so it's possible that having 5 cold resistance would completely negate certain parts of it. For instance, if there are stretches of the game where you get attacked by lots of enemies that only do d6 cold damage.

Ssalarn
2015-02-02, 11:56 AM
If I'm reading this right, your DM is concerned your 5 cold resistance will make your character too tanky for a spellcaster?

If so, I'd say your DM is definitely overreacting in taking it away from you if this were a normal campaign. A lot of enemies don't use cold damage, and as you level those who do will quickly do far more than 5 damage.

But I've never played Reign of Winter, so it's possible that having 5 cold resistance would completely negate certain parts of it. For instance, if there are stretches of the game where you get attacked by lots of enemies that only do d6 cold damage.

The DM's concern may have something to do with the fact that much of the early threat in RoW comes as much from the environment as from the enemies. However, cold resistance won't help with most of that, and as others have pointed out, it won't make a large difference even with the larger percentage of enemies who deal cold damage present in that campaign. Definitely an over-reaction on the DM's part.