PDA

View Full Version : Looking for turn/rebuke uses

Invader
2015-02-01, 08:44 PM
I'm looking for a good build/uses for a cleric or specializes in maxing turn/rebuke attempts that don't involve DMM persist. Basically maxing attempt pool and the best divine fears I guess.

Is it viable to spend all your feats on a quicken build for all the more spells you'd get per day? I'm leaning towards all casting and little to no melee so things like divine might would be out.

Starting at 5th, all books, no flaws

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-01, 09:04 PM
Divine Spell Power can be pretty good if you have a high enough check. There are some really decent devotion feats, like Earth Devotion (immediate action that automatically ruins a charge attempt, plus they have to make balance checks or fall down), Good Devotion, Travel Devotion, Animal Devotion, etc. There are divine feats in CW and PH2, though none are particularly noteworthy.

Illumians in Races of Destiny get one of quite a few different runewords, some of which you spend turn/rebuke undead attempts to activate: Aeshoon (add Wis to weapon damage), Hoonkrau (+1d8 on Cure spells), and Naenhoon (similar to Divine Metamagic).

There are a few items in MIC that you can spend turn undead uses to activate, though all but one are for making weapon attacks: Divine Wrath weapon, Ring of Brief Blessing, and Radiant Sphere.

You could just pick up Radiant Servant and be good at actually turning undead.

Invader
2015-02-01, 09:34 PM
I've been looking at making a quicken cleric.

So far feat wise it looks like

1st -Quicken spell
Human - DMM
3rd - Extra turning
Domain -Extra turning (undeath)

So at 5th lvl with an 18 con I'll have 17 or 18 attempts. 3+4 Cha+ 8 Extra Turning+ 2 or 3 from reliquary holy symbol. Does DMM count as a divine feat for the 3rd attempt or no? Either way I should have 4 quicken spells per day correct?

I still have a second domain to use as well, any good suggestions for it?

Also can I take easy metamagic at 6th to reduce DMM quicken to 3 and effectively have 6 quickens assuming I have 18 turn attempts by then?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-01, 10:28 PM
Divine Metamagic costs one more turning attempt than the metamagic feat's spell slot increase, so DMM: Quicken costs 5 turn undead uses to activate.

A Reliquary Holy Symbol will give you two extra turn undead uses: one for having a divine feat (DMM), and one for 5+ ranks in Kn: Religion. It only gives a third if you have Improved Turning, but if you were going to take that you may as well get Extra Turning again instead.

About the only other way to get more turning attempts is with Nightsticks from Libris Mortis. Since its benefit is not expressed as a bonus, having multiples of them should give you the benefit of each one. If you want to make a custom magic item, this list (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/feats.html) puts Extra Turning at a 1,500 gp item cost, based on the costs of the other effects on that particular weapon versus its total price.

Invader
2015-02-01, 10:54 PM
Divine Metamagic costs one more turning attempt than the metamagic feat's spell slot increase, so DMM: Quicken costs 5 turn undead uses to activate.

A Reliquary Holy Symbol will give you two extra turn undead uses: one for having a divine feat (DMM), and one for 5+ ranks in Kn: Religion. It only gives a third if you have Improved Turning, but if you were going to take that you may as well get Extra Turning again instead.

About the only other way to get more turning attempts is with Nightsticks from Libris Mortis. Since its benefit is not expressed as a bonus, having multiples of them should give you the benefit of each one. If you want to make a custom magic item, this list (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/feats.html) puts Extra Turning at a 1,500 gp item cost, based on the costs of the other effects on that particular weapon versus its total price.

Ahh Ok I see. So I'm good for 3 quickens a day untill I can afford a nightstick and break 20. Or 4 with easy metamagic. I'm staying away from multiple nightstick shenanigans. I'll be pretty happy with 4 quickens a day as im not trying to be to ridiculous.

That only leaves my second domain to fill with something fun. Is there a domain that gives me more turn attempts that work with quicken so I could use my 6th lvl feat on something other that easy metamagic?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-01, 11:15 PM
For your second domain you should probably pick something that gives you some decent domain spells. Also be sure to pick up a Circlet of Rapid Casting in MIC asap, for 15k it allows you to quicken three 1st or 2nd level spells per day.

RoyVG
2015-02-02, 03:52 AM
You could also trade in your second domain for a Devotion feat with the same name. Most of them use Turn undead attempt though to fuel them additional times. Travel Devotion is very strong, giving you a move action worth of movement every round as a swift action for 1 minute. They are in Complete Champion, have a look at them, they are a great sink for Turn Undead attempts if you don't need the Quickens that often, just plan ahead.

PseudoPanda
2015-02-02, 04:02 AM
If you're going to be good, getting to at least 8th level and don't care about your turning level (So no divine spell power) you can take the rebuke dragons ACF or similar ACF for a different turning pool and then go sacred Exorcist at level 8 for two turning pools. It's up to your DM if items affect that extra turning pool (The details only talk about feats and class features) but extra turning still affects it so you end up doubling your uses of DMM.

Also, since you're going for a casting Cleric you should do Cloistered Cleric from Unearthed Arcana for an extra domain and spells for a minimal trade-off.

NevinPL
2015-02-02, 08:36 AM
Retrieve Spell from CC is nice, but probably not very useful if you're "heavy" on scrolls, wands, etc.
And it costs a lot of turn\rebuke attempts.

Invader
2015-02-02, 07:29 PM
Is there a domain that gives me another turn pool that's compatible with quicken?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-02, 08:45 PM
Is there a domain that gives me another turn pool that's compatible with quicken?

No, but there is multiclassing and ACFs. Rebuke Dragons in Dragon Magic specifically states it can be used to power divine feats. A Lightbringer Cleric from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft p206-207 gets Destroy Undead, which still counts as Turn Undead for qualifying for and activating divine feats. On top of that, you can still gain Turn Undead and Rebuke Undead, and everything that grants you more uses of turn/rebuke adds that many to each of those. So if you have 3 base +4 Cha +4 Extra Turning +2 Reliquary Holy Symbol +4 Night Stick = 17, you get that many to each of those, for a total of 68 uses or 13 DMM: Quickens per day, or 17 with Easy Metamagic.

Invader
2015-02-02, 09:06 PM
No, but there is multiclassing and ACFs. Rebuke Dragons in Dragon Magic specifically states it can be used to power divine feats. A Lightbringer Cleric from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft p206-207 gets Destroy Undead, which still counts as Turn Undead for qualifying for and activating divine feats. On top of that, you can still gain Turn Undead and Rebuke Undead, and everything that grants you more uses of turn/rebuke adds that many to each of those. So if you have 3 base +4 Cha +4 Extra Turning +2 Reliquary Holy Symbol +4 Night Stick = 17, you get that many to each of those, for a total of 68 uses or 13 DMM: Quickens per day, or 17 with Easy Metamagic.

If you take rebuke dragons doesn't it just replace turn undead making it a wash?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-02, 09:12 PM
If you take rebuke dragons doesn't it just replace turn undead making it a wash?

It replaces the Turn Undead you would get from Cleric, but you can still get it from Sacred Exorcist.

RolandDeschain
2015-02-02, 09:19 PM
Wouldn't the Charm Domain basically grant you two additional Turn Undead attempts? I believe it's an untyped bonus to Charisma so you could throw on an Eagle's Splendor spell for an enhancement bonus as well to get you two more.

Invader
2015-02-02, 09:34 PM
It replaces the Turn Undead you would get from Cleric, but you can still get it from Sacred Exorcist.

Ahhh gotcha.

I'm set up for three quickens at 5th and 5 at 6th, I think I'm pretty happy with that. Effective without getting into overpowering.

Invader
2015-02-02, 09:36 PM
Wouldn't the Charm Domain basically grant you two additional Turn Undead attempts? I believe it's an untyped bonus to Charisma so you could throw on an Eagle's Splendor spell for an enhancement bonus as well to get you two more.

Yeah that looks like a decent choice too.