PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Humor Nonstandard standard gear?

Togath
2015-02-02, 12:34 AM
After thinking about some of the standard gear I grab in tabletop games(mostly pf, but I figure this is an any-system topic) I realized just how nonstandard my 'standard" gear was. :3
So I figured I'd ask the playground: while everyone knows stuff like rations, ropes, or a knife, what are some of the quirkier things you always grab?

My main list(pf);
A yak. They can carry an insane amount, and can be a remarkably effective weapon(they hit like a truck in pf and cost little enough that a first level character could buy a small herd 0_0).

An umbrella. it's good for keeping yourself dry, in the shade, using as an improvised shield or stabbing implement, and most importantly... It can function as a meter long stick as well. :smalltongue:

5 six sided dice. For when you want a game in your game. Also good for Yahtzee, or can be thrown as a distraction(though so could a pebble, I suppose).

A Crowbar. What really needs to be said, it's good for breaking things, and serves as a decent-ish weapon. Very heavy though.

A fishing kit(containing a rod, fishing line, hooks, and bobbers). One of the most versatile things on this list, it's a several foot pole, lots of twine, and several small sharp pieces of metal. You can also gather food with it.

Ioun Torch(a more specific item. It's a glowing crystal that floats near your head). It does everything an everlasting torch does, but doesn't need to be held, and can be stored in a pocket.

TheThan
2015-02-02, 01:54 AM
Hrrm useful gear:
Never forget your backpack, bedroll and winter blanket
A collapsible pole is a must
Chalk
Rope and grappling hook
Pitons for climbing
a hammer to hammer in the pitons
twine and a magnet
a flour pouch
sacks, never forget your treasure sacks.
A mirror for grooming and for signaling
Soap also for grooming and potentially making something slippery
A block and tackle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_and_tackle ) for removing dungeon decorations “those marble pillars have got to be worth something!”
Caltrops are a must for stopping enemies in their tracks

It amazes me that there’s no compass for traveling without getting lost, and a clock (say a pocket watch) so casters can prepare spells at the appropriate time (and also good for timed scenarios).

Anonymouswizard
2015-02-02, 07:48 AM
It depends on the genre, but my goto list is:

A pen and notebook, to justify notes.
A travel card, bicycle, or other way of gaining cheap/free transport.
Light reading, because sometimes the GM won't let your character wait.
Coat and change of trousers, in case I need to change my look quickly. Glasses and hair gel, along with jewelry and spare shoes, may be added based on budget.
Rubber gloves, because you don't want your prints on the evidence.
A holy symbol of some sort, just in case it repels evil.
A hat and pair of boots. Never trust the weather.

Palegreenpants
2015-02-02, 08:53 AM
Among other things, my equipment list contains bottled beer (it's better than the water,) buckets (bucket holds everything,) and parasols (why not.)

DigoDragon
2015-02-02, 09:13 AM
A stuffed teddy-bear or similar toy. Build a hidden pocket inside it and you can smuggle little things around. Use it to build rapport with kids and get info out of them. Have the team wizard Animate Object to act as a creepy little scout. The possibilities are endless! ...until someone drops a fireball on it.
Disposable camera. Great for evidence gathering and can be dropped off at any corner drugstore for processing. The flash is useful for blinding opponents, or getting someone's attention in the fog. I once pulled out the film from the case and subdued an opponent choking him with the film. Haha, he didn't see that development!
A small kit of LEGO. Again, rapport with kids (you can have them reconstruct the crime they witnessed!), use it to create a size scale in your photos of the crime scene, build pictorial coded messages for teammates to locate (I once used two colors for Morse code), and makes for impromptu caltrops if your opponent isn't wearing shoes.

goto124
2015-02-02, 09:27 AM
Disposable camera.

You're playing in a modern setting aren't you? Medieval settings don't have cameras!

A small kit of LEGO... impromptu caltrops if your opponent isn't wearing shoes.

Related comic (large image): http://1.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/22/48/8e17c330a3717e8c5e2ce14887b0b906.jpg

Miscast_Mage
2015-02-02, 09:36 AM
A journal and writing material, such as a pen or charcoal. Provides IC justification for keeping track of notes and maps, delivering letters, marking secret doors or signals in a maze, and with charcoal you can get rubbings on runes or carvings.
Offering sweets is always good for making friends, especially with children. Sometimes having a pack of sweets helps with boredom too.
Booze. Also good for making friends, a disinfectant for wounds, and get a type of alcohol strong enough to make Molotovs out of for bonus fun!
A box of matches. why keep track of individual tindertwigs when you could get 100 in a handy box? Combine with the above for flammable fun. Remember, you can throw more than just daggers. :belkar:
Salt & pepper, or other spices. Flavour your food, preserve meat, and in a pinch throw it in peoples faces, pocket-sand style.
Marbles and boardgames. Great for keeping the party entertained.

razorback
2015-02-02, 09:40 AM
Chaulk. I can't explain how many times a scrawled marker or note in code has saved the party's lives over the years. Chaulk.

goto124
2015-02-02, 09:41 AM
Marbles and boardgames. Great for keeping the party entertained.

Drop the marbles to trip enemies! Effect is the same as Grease.

Have your party play DnD to break that fourth wall down.

(Chaulk -> Chalk?)

razorback
2015-02-02, 10:07 AM
(Chaulk -> Chalk?)

Yes, sorry, half asleep.

Miscast_Mage
2015-02-02, 10:15 AM
Drop the marbles to trip enemies! Effect is the same as Grease.

That goes without saying. Hmm, I wonder if legos could substitute as caltrops. :smallwink:

Have your party play DnD to break that fourth wall down.

And then the DM smacks you for recursion. (http://xkcd.com/244/)

Flickerdart
2015-02-02, 10:26 AM
A holy symbol of some sort, just in case it repels evil.
Why discriminate? Have one of every faith, just in case you encounter a Zoroastrian vampire.

DireSickFish
2015-02-02, 10:29 AM
In 3.5 FR book there are boots that have a hidden compartment in the soul. I'd always keep a rust cube int here for when we'd inevitably get captured. The other boot was a knife boot with a hidden blade... for when we inevitably get captured.

Portable rams were a common buy on my high Str characters.

Crowbars in 5th edition seem rather amazing.

Miscast_Mage
2015-02-02, 10:30 AM
In 3.5 FR book there are boots that have a hidden compartment in the soul. I'd always keep a rust cube int here for when we'd inevitably get captured. The other boot was a knife boot with a hidden blade... for when we inevitably get captured.

Portable rams were a common buy on my high Str characters.

Crowbars in 5th edition seem rather amazing.

I had to do a double take; I thought you meant hiding something within a persons actual soul for a moment! I can imagine retrieving and storing objects would be interesting. :smallwink:

DigoDragon
2015-02-02, 10:40 AM
You're playing in a modern setting aren't you? Medieval settings don't have cameras!

Well the OP didn't specify it had to be a medieval setting, so I'm just giving a little love to other genres. :)

Why discriminate? Have one of every faith, just in case you encounter a Zoroastrian vampire.

Or a reanimated cursed mummy lord in a pyramid. :smallwink:

Anonymouswizard
2015-02-02, 10:44 AM

That really depends on how devoutly religious my character is. For some it would break character, but my character in my current game has coined the term "full kook gear" for both his outfit and his collection of holy symbols from dead religions, just in case a demon turns out to be weak to one. He also carries various occult equipment (candles, chalk, incense etc.) with quite a bit if practical use.

Deophaun
2015-02-02, 11:01 AM
It amazes me that there’s no compass for traveling without getting lost, and a clock (say a pocket watch) so casters can prepare spells at the appropriate time (and also good for timed scenarios).
Hey, there's a clock. It just weighs 200 lbs. Your wizard shouldn't have dumped Strength.

YossarianLives
2015-02-02, 11:02 AM
That goes without saying. Hmm, I wonder if legos could substitute as caltrops. :smallwink
Definitely. I used to own a lot and it's agony if you step on them with bare feet.

Forrestfire
2015-02-02, 11:05 AM
I would imagine that most adventurers are cool froods who know where their towels are.

blacklight101
2015-02-02, 11:13 AM
If I have the cash, any more, I seem to take a mule and pack saddle with me. I like all the loot I can carry and then some. That or a beat up old nag, anything to carry stuff and do basic trapfinding for me. :smallwink:

Anonymouswizard
2015-02-02, 11:16 AM
Hey, there's a clock. It just weighs 200 lbs. Your wizard shouldn't have dumped Strength.

Going by the technology level of D&D, a mechanical clock or even pocket watch should be available, as well as the water powered "not for travel" one.

Flickerdart
2015-02-02, 11:19 AM
That really depends on how devoutly religious my character is. For some it would break character, but my character in my current game has coined the term "full kook gear" for both his outfit and his collection of holy symbols from dead religions, just in case a demon turns out to be weak to one. He also carries various occult equipment (candles, chalk, incense etc.) with quite a bit if practical use.
Eh, I don't see why a particularly devout character can't carry religious symbols of another faith in a sack or something, for their practical value in vampire hunting. Although it all depends on the mythos - some vampires are rebuked by the act of faith, not the symbol itself, and others are "keyed" to a particular divine power.

johnbragg
2015-02-02, 11:22 AM
Current campaign, straight lo-op beer-and-pretzels 3.5, my halfling cleric of friendship has his pickable pockets full of candies wrapped in paper taht says "Friar Juby isn't mad, he just wants you to think about your choices." Came in handy shooing a rust monster away from the party. Could have come in handy subduing some baby ettins if the paladin didn't charge in and execute them. :smalleek:

Favorite character in this category was a Marvel Superheroes character, Armored Warrior type, very high base income. I wrote him as an ex-special forces military contractor, single no kids so lots of disposable income. He had a camping vest with a dozen pockets stuffed with the finest gear that Skymall and Brookstone had to offer at the time--water purification tablets, 200' of parachute cord, top-grade swiss army knife, unfoldable thermal blanket, laser pointer flashlight, air-horn, night-vision goggles. (If he's being hired to test out the MARSHAL armor as a superhero, he wants to be ready for Asgard or Battleworld or the Moon or Skrull Planet or whatever.)

The only thing he used was after he EMPed himself out of the air (they said "use this in an emergency", and the Abomination handing the party their butts seemed like an emergency).
GM: "Your armor is dead for 6 minutes. You can't do anything."
"What about my vest?"
"Fine, you can use your air horn."
"No--I take my Nuprin! Because this is going to hurt."

Anonymouswizard
2015-02-02, 11:46 AM
Eh, I don't see why a particularly devout character can't carry religious symbols of another faith in a sack or something, for their practical value in vampire hunting. Although it all depends on the mythos - some vampires are rebuked by the act of faith, not the symbol itself, and others are "keyed" to a particular divine power.

Actually, it's generally atheist characters who don't do it, I mean, a cross is just two lines isn't it? The only time characters with faith don't do it is when a) it's bad form, or b) they have a power that makes it redundant.

Lord Torath
2015-02-02, 01:07 PM
I rather like the marbles idea. Just don't forget the jacks as well. Combine with the marbles for "greased caltrops". A signal whistle is always a good idea. And any cleric I make carries a dagger, even though they can only use blunt weapons (2E AD&D). It sucks to have a rope to cut and nothing but a mace or hammer to use on it.

As for holy symbols, one of my favorite characters (in a book, not in an RPG) wears a small lamb on a chain around her neck as the Lamb of God. Works better than a cross, because vampires know what a cross is, but could care less about a sheep on a string. At least until the "defenseless victim" wields it against them.

Marbled_Thief
2015-02-02, 02:53 PM
My personal list of quirky items include:
Marbles. All the marbles
A boot sheath. You never know when you are going to be captured and the baddies never seem to want to get near enough to my feet to check for weapons...
A trick coin with either two heads or two tails
Beefy tips. Last campaign I played, one of the players tried to get beef jerky at the inn we were staying at, but the DM ruled that beef jerky wasn't setting appropriate. The solution? Beefy tips. A must-have for all of your stale meat needs.

TheThan
2015-02-02, 04:24 PM
A stuffed teddy-bear or similar toy. Build a hidden pocket inside it and you can smuggle little things around. Use it to build rapport with kids and get info out of them. Have the team wizard Animate Object to act as a creepy little scout. The possibilities are endless! ...until someone drops a fireball on it.
Disposable camera. Great for evidence gathering and can be dropped off at any corner drugstore for processing. The flash is useful for blinding opponents, or getting someone's attention in the fog. I once pulled out the film from the case and subdued an opponent choking him with the film. Haha, he didn't see that development!
A small kit of LEGO. Again, rapport with kids (you can have them reconstruct the crime they witnessed!), use it to create a size scale in your photos of the crime scene, build pictorial coded messages for teammates to locate (I once used two colors for Morse code), and makes for impromptu caltrops if your opponent isn't wearing shoes.

I think you mean a pink stuffed pig (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXHdqulNiBs)

Yeah I was thinking more man portable clocks.

Hiro Protagonest
2015-02-02, 04:29 PM
I had to do a double take; I thought you meant hiding something within a persons actual soul for a moment! I can imagine retrieving and storing objects would be interesting. :smallwink:

Boots have souls too!

Jay R
2015-02-02, 04:31 PM
I've only done this once, but it was worth it.

A guardsman was trying to not allow my lower-level wizard into the city. I said, "I pull out my Wand of Frost and tell him that if he doesn't move, I will freeze him."

He let me through, but about five minutes later the DM said, "Hey, wait a minute. You don't have a Wand of Frost."

"I know. It was a bluff."

"But you don't have a wand."

I replied, "It's been on my character sheet for the last four games. Here, look."

There, in my inventory, it very clearly said, "fourteen-inch polished stick of wood."

NikitaDarkstar
2015-02-02, 04:43 PM
It really depends on the character I play, but my skill-monkeys usually have well... a lot of random stuff.

Mirror
Soap
Rope and grappling hook (and almost never used for the obvious purpose of climbing)
Caltrops (those monsters with swallow hole? They'll get really, really upset when they swallow a bag of these)
Bag of marbles
Alchemist fire (aim at face, for the double combo, toss marbles or caltrops on floor)
Acid
Thunderstones
Tindertwigs
Sunrods (stab your local vampire with it!)
Belt-pouches
Extra blanket
Lamp oil (possibly even a lamp)
Extra set of lockpicks
scroll/map case
Flint and Steel

Flickerdart
2015-02-02, 06:01 PM
Yeah I was thinking more man portable clocks.
http://i.imgur.com/gL0OQ.jpg

DigoDragon
2015-02-02, 06:46 PM
I think you mean a pink stuffed pig (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXHdqulNiBs)

Heehee! That wasn't a bad movie at all.
One shadowrun team I GM'd for snuck some detcord into a factory by keeping it hidden in a stuffed dragon toy.

There, in my inventory, it very clearly said, "fourteen-inch polished stick of wood."

Nice!

Talyn
2015-02-02, 09:50 PM
I second (third? fourth?) chalk - a lifesaver in a dungeon. In more modern settings, they can be replaced with those trail-marker paint sticks, especially if they are the type that show up on nightvision.

Polished steel mirror - look around corners, repel medusae, and you can even shave/do your makeup during your long rests!

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-02, 10:13 PM
Heehee! That wasn't a bad movie at all.
One shadowrun team I GM'd for snuck some detcord into a factory by keeping it hidden in a stuffed dragon toy.One Shadowrun game of ours had us stealing the lens from the telescope of this big famous observatory. My character went to the gift shop and purchased what was essentially a 2070-era Cthulhu Tamagotchi. He cared for it for the rest of the story arc. :smallsmile:

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-02-02, 10:33 PM
Cold iron nails
flask of hooch
a rose under Gentle Repose
a badge
needle and thread...one of the most devious torture devices ever invented
set of darts (game sized, not battle sized)
dog whistle
shattered dreams
empty promises
beautiful lies
terrible truths

Deophaun
2015-02-03, 12:58 AM
I had a DFA with that baleful geas invocation that carried around an empty jar. He was real keen on handing it to people and telling them to bring it back to him, filled with moonlight.

It was all good, until an ogre came back with a jar holding an angry pixie. I'm sure you can guess the pixie's name.

Storm_Of_Snow
2015-02-03, 07:36 AM
Going by the technology level of D&D, a mechanical clock or even pocket watch should be available, as well as the water powered "not for travel" one.
I agree, however, as it's intricate and highly skilled work, you're looking at a lot of money just for the time of the people making it, let alone the costs of the materials.

Anonymouswizard
2015-02-03, 08:23 AM
I agree, however, as it's intricate and highly skilled work, you're looking at a lot of money just for the time of the people making it, let alone the costs of the materials.

I'd ballpark it at 500 gold pieces, and add the fact that it'll vary based on temperature, and it should be reasonable for characters once they leave the low levels, I'd even let noble PCs start with such a pocket watch, it doesn't add any abilities and makes sense. It's also practically required for accurate navigation at see, I'd apply at least a -5 penalty for using dead reckoning instead.

A clock or watch that makes use of a two-metal grid or strip should cost several thousand go, and applies a +2 circumstance bonus to navigation, as you can calculate latitude and longitude (assuming you have a personal watch and reference watch).

DigoDragon
2015-02-03, 09:12 AM
One Shadowrun game of ours had us stealing the lens from the telescope of this big famous observatory. My character went to the gift shop and purchased what was essentially a 2070-era Cthulhu Tamagotchi. He cared for it for the rest of the story arc. :smallsmile:

Heh, neat!
Also, the strange things Johnsons ask runners to steal. XD

Jay R
2015-02-04, 09:35 AM
My old kit bag always has my troubles packed up in it.

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-04, 11:06 AM
Heh, neat!I thank you. :smallsmile:

Also, the strange things Johnsons ask runners to steal.It's definitely in the top five. Same Johnson also topped himself by asking us to smuggle something onto a satellite right before its launch date.

Storm_Of_Snow
2015-02-04, 12:29 PM
I'd ballpark it at 500 gold pieces, and add the fact that it'll vary based on temperature, and it should be reasonable for characters once they leave the low levels, I'd even let noble PCs start with such a pocket watch, it doesn't add any abilities and makes sense. It's also practically required for accurate navigation at see, I'd apply at least a -5 penalty for using dead reckoning instead.

A clock or watch that makes use of a two-metal grid or strip should cost several thousand go, and applies a +2 circumstance bonus to navigation, as you can calculate latitude and longitude (assuming you have a personal watch and reference watch).
While I agree that it's something that a mid-high level character could potentially own, I'd consider sticking at least another zero on the back of the price, and say that's because only the most skilled craftsmen would be able to even attempt making one - we're not talking stamping out pieces of metal from a uniform sheet and putting them together on a production line, we're talking pieces made in some material (probably wood, maybe a soft metal, possibly something like ivory), a mould made from that piece, the actual piece cast from the highest possible grade metal available, then knocked out of the mould and hand finished to remove all the flash, air vents, the gate and so on, then individually put in place and fitted together.

While the watchmaker may have apprentices to do some of the work (they wouldn't file the flash off themselves for example, they'd get the apprentice to do it and make sure it was done properly), there'll still be a lot of work that they'll have to do themselves (balancing any imperfections in the gears and wheels to actually get the timepiece to keep time properly, for example), and, in some cases, just waiting for their apprentices to finish their work will limit the number they can make in a year.

Basically, royalty would be able to have them, but outside of that, a pocket watch or something similar would be an item of real prestige and obvious wealth.

Arbane
2015-02-04, 01:29 PM

While I agree that it's something that a mid-high level character could potentially own, I'd consider sticking at least another zero on the back of the price,

How many GP does it cost to get a fully-functioning clockwork _cat_ in D&D?

Maaaagic.

http://i.imgur.com/gL0OQ.jpg

Is that from something? Because it's hilarious.

Forrestfire
2015-02-04, 02:29 PM
It's a reference to Oregon Trail, as far as I can tell.

For the cat, your options are Construct Familiar (Dragon 280, feat that turns your cat into a robot) and Effigy cat (market price 1,500gp).

TheThan
2015-02-04, 04:47 PM
While I agree that it's something that a mid-high level character could potentially own, I'd consider sticking at least another zero on the back of the price, and say that's because only the most skilled craftsmen would be able to even attempt making one - we're not talking stamping out pieces of metal from a uniform sheet and putting them together on a production line, we're talking pieces made in some material (probably wood, maybe a soft metal, possibly something like ivory), a mould made from that piece, the actual piece cast from the highest possible grade metal available, then knocked out of the mould and hand finished to remove all the flash, air vents, the gate and so on, then individually put in place and fitted together.

While the watchmaker may have apprentices to do some of the work (they wouldn't file the flash off themselves for example, they'd get the apprentice to do it and make sure it was done properly), there'll still be a lot of work that they'll have to do themselves (balancing any imperfections in the gears and wheels to actually get the timepiece to keep time properly, for example), and, in some cases, just waiting for their apprentices to finish their work will limit the number they can make in a year.

Basically, royalty would be able to have them, but outside of that, a pocket watch or something similar would be an item of real prestige and obvious wealth.

yeah,
I was going to say that 5000 was a bit too much, but after thinking about it. it makes perfect sense, a water clock is a 1000 gold and it's huge and cumbersome, a spyglass is also 1000 gold and it's just a tube with two well made lenses in it.

mikeejimbo
2015-02-04, 05:23 PM
One of my fellow players almost always gets manacles. You never know when you might want to take a prisoner. At least I hope that's the reasoning.

In our latest game I decided to get a really nice shovel for digging trenches and the like, and in a pinch acting like a crowbar.

Arcades
2015-02-04, 06:55 PM
Since I usually play scoundrel-like characters, I always get the following:
Smoking pipe, cigars and booze (a good way to make friends, pass the time and blow things up).
Folding Shovel (good for digging up treasures and for grave robbery. In a game I actually upgraded it to masterwork, and enchanted it with Undead Bane).
Artisan tools (if I have skill points to spare, I always pick up a craft skill to craft little useless things during downtime)
Acid flasks
Sacred symbols.

And a custom ring of prestidigitation at wil. Good for lighting your smoke and make those rations tastier.

YossarianLives
2015-02-04, 07:38 PM
A lead sheet, for when the diviners come calling.
A flint and steel, while pretty standard is essential.
A friend of mine always brings a bucket of soap.
A shovel for doing the inevitable grave-digging.
Any adventurer worth they're salt always has at least one potion of healing. For some reason my party members also refuse to bring any source of healing.

Psykenthrope
2015-02-04, 07:51 PM
*Snip*
*Snip*

BOOOOOOO.

That was a fantastic pun sir.

On the note of starting equipment, I often try to bring as many different types of tools as I can afford/carry. Or if I'm wealthy enough, an AllTool of some sort.

Anonymouswizard
2015-02-04, 08:18 PM

Considering we're one to two hundred years off every ship captain owning one, I think the price varies between 500gp "clean every day" ones, and 5000+gp "doesn't need cleaning" ones. I see it as most Viscounts and dukes owning one, but few barons or below. Most towns have a single clock that the smith built and isn't terribly accurate (and probably not clockwork), while cities pay a smith or two to build and maintain clocks in government buildings. But most adventurers would do better asking for one as a reward instead of commissioning one.

TheCountAlucard
2015-02-04, 08:44 PM
Any adventurer worth they're salt always has at least one potion of healing.That reminds me, salt's actually not a bad thing to bring adventuring with you. It's a great preservative, and can be used to ward off ghosts.

Storm_Of_Snow
2015-02-05, 04:29 AM
Considering we're one to two hundred years off every ship captain owning one, I think the price varies between 500gp "clean every day" ones, and 5000+gp "doesn't need cleaning" ones.
Every ship captain owning one, or a lot of ships being supplied one by the government (for Naval vessels) or the merchant company that owns them, as a part of their basic equipment? :smallwink:

Anonymouswizard
2015-02-05, 09:09 AM
Every ship captain owning one, or a lot of ships being supplied one by the government (for Naval vessels) or the merchant company that owns them, as a part of their basic equipment? :smallwink:

It depends, and also, yours cost as much as the entire account of lower ranked nobles in my world, so its rare that any companies would own more than a couple :smalltongue:

But then again my D&D setting rips out the core magic system (to be replaced with Binding once I get ToM, until then using a homebrew demonology system), so it may not be a good example of nobles in most D&D worlds.