PDA

View Full Version : Mist dragon errata? / Dragon character advancement

rrwoods
2015-02-02, 01:27 PM
Nothing major, I just noticed something that seems to be off.

Dragons of faerun p143 gives the advancement tables for the mist dragon. They appear to have three good saves, but the reflex save for wyrmlings has an extra +2 I can't account for. Just wondering if that's an error or maybe I'm missing something? I can't find errata for dragons of faerun.

EDIT: another dragon question actually. When a dragon character hits the next age category, what happens? Do they gain a bunch of HD and a level adjustment at the same time? What happens when their level adjustment becomes --?

Ruethgar
2015-02-02, 02:24 PM
The best way to deal with increasing age categories is to not have them happen. If you want to play a truly true dragon, the core ten are easiest with their draconic racial classes from Dragon Magazine. You could also use those classes as a framework to make your own.

Urpriest
2015-02-02, 04:27 PM
The best way to deal with increasing age categories is to not have them happen. If you want to play a truly true dragon, the core ten are easiest with their draconic racial classes from Dragon Magazine. You could also use those classes as a framework to make your own.

The only way to play those is to increase your age category over time, though, unless you just stick to wyrmling.

Anyway, as detailed in Draconomicon, when playing a Dragon you gain the HD and LA gradually as you age.

The +5 Reflex indeed looks like a misprint. There was no errata released though, which is pretty typical for a setting book.

rrwoods
2015-02-02, 05:58 PM
Hm, ok, I'll have to check out the draconomicon text then. Thanks for the responses guys!

Ruethgar
2015-02-02, 07:11 PM
Actually you can just stick with Hatchling and go into other classes from there without worrying about even going to Wyrmling. Even if you do stay in the class you can choose to multiclass out of it whenever you complete a new age category, one of the best options being wyrmling, yes, but you could go further such as Sorcerer 5/White Loredrake Dragon 5/Sorcerer 5/White Dragon 4/Sorcerer 4. You could even throw in some Half Dragon and Draconic levels to buy off since they don't have the templates' racial limitations. Another benefit of the dragon classes is the cop out that PC dragons just advance differently than their kin, by experience rather than age.

Forrestfire
2015-02-02, 07:21 PM
Personally, I've always been a fan of the idea of a reverse-Age Cursed dragon. Like... Some jerk hit a hatchling with a Bestow Greater Curse that made them unable to grow stronger with age, which prompted them to go adventuring and gain power the way the puny mortals do.