PDA

View Full Version : Seeking trap or trick filled dungeon

randomodo
2015-02-02, 01:44 PM
So, I've got a low-level sandbox-ish campaign going on, and I've set about four obvious potential hooks for the characters to investigate. I've also laid out two not-very obvious clues to areas that I thought there was a very low probability the characters would investigate at this point.

But players are players, and inevitably they ignored the obvious adventure hooks and are going straight for something that I hadn't fully planned out yet.

So I'm looking for something - preferably something published - that I can use as inspiration/mod it to 5e/shamelessly plagiarize for game use. Specifically, this should be a low level dungeon with some traps, tricks/puzzles in it.

I'm not looking for something on the order of Tomb of Horrors (first, 'cause at least one player has DMd it, and second because I'd prefer to not have to kill off all their characters).

Any advice for good source material that I can use with minimal effort?

Yagyujubei
2015-02-02, 02:30 PM
hit up donjon

http://donjon.bin.sh/d20/dungeon/index.cgi

set doors to deathtrap an trapped with death they shall be.

JFahy
2015-02-02, 02:52 PM
This is a super-oldie - see if you can find The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan.

Aztec pyramid full of traps and nasties. My group had a pretty good time
with it, and I slightly reworked the pelota game to make it more interesting. :smallamused:

Edit: See if you can find it here, perhaps.
http://gobbi.free.fr/scenarii/ADD/TSR%209032%20-%20C1%20-%20The%20Hidden%20Shrine%20of%20Tamoachan.pdf

randomodo
2015-02-02, 03:17 PM
Thank you! I'll plagiarize a few rooms from that (and I'll be a good boy and see if I can buy it from drivethrurpg or similar location).

JFahy
2015-02-02, 03:21 PM
If there's ever a competition for weirdest magic item - IIRC in the shrine
there's a sword that's +1, +3 vs. Gas Spores. :smallconfused:

Yagyujubei
2015-02-02, 03:31 PM
This is a super-oldie - see if you can find The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan.

Aztec pyramid full of traps and nasties. My group had a pretty good time
with it, and I slightly reworked the pelota game to make it more interesting. :smallamused:

Edit: See if you can find it here, perhaps.
http://gobbi.free.fr/scenarii/ADD/TSR%209032%20-%20C1%20-%20The%20Hidden%20Shrine%20of%20Tamoachan.pdf

pelota? do you get to play jai alai in this module?!

randomodo
2015-02-02, 03:37 PM
That's funny; 'cause we all know that the best way to handle a gas spore is to walk right up close to it and then and hit with a sharp object. What could go wrong...?

Safety Sword
2015-02-02, 04:49 PM
That's funny; 'cause we all know that the best way to handle a gas spore is to walk right up close to it and then and hit with a sharp object. What could go wrong...?

It would be a more impressive item if it was +1, +3 to saves against gas spores ;)

JFahy
2015-02-02, 09:34 PM
It would be a more impressive item if it was +1, +3 to saves against gas spores ;)

Yeah, that would make some kind of sense - but no, it's +3 to the thing you least want to do to gas spores. :smalleek:
I guess you could throw it at them, and it'd be a +3 improvised weapon...?

@Yagyujubei - per the module, you're in a pelota pit, the ball comes to life and
starts playing the game (including hitting PCs occasionally) and if it scores on
you enough, you get raked by dart traps.

I thought that might be a bit too weird for them to figure out the intent (or
rather, I thought they might turn the ball to ash before they figured out the
intent) so I had a team of pelota players, sacrificed long ago by heart-ectomy,
animate and start the game. Each time they scored, the arena was raked by
dart traps (which didn't bother the undead players).

They loved it, and would occasionally announce themselves afterwards as
the world pelota champions. (Much later I had them get tracked down by
a pelota club who challenged them to another game - but without the dart
traps to enforce the rules, that game got insanely violent even for pelota.)