PDA

View Full Version : The Chosen Undead IC

Pages : [1] 2

Wiz0rd
2015-02-02, 03:26 PM
The Undead Asylum

http://images1-1.gamewise.co/DS-NUA-604-large.jpeg

Yes, indeed. The Darksign brands the Undead. And in this land, the Undead are corralled and led to the north, where they are locked away, to await the end of the world... This is your fate.
Only, in the ancient legends it is stated, that one day an undead shall be chosen to leave the Undead Asylum.

While it was fondly named the Undead Asylum, a place of meditation and correction in dark times, any visitor would quickly recognize that this accursed place had more in common with a cold, hard prison. There was only one view available from within the cell from behind heavily rusted iron bars. One would presume that the bars for the cell door would be in a state of disrepair, considering the abandoned nature of the background, yet the bars were thick and strong, produced at the forge out of desperate fear of the undead. And still the bars remained, and prevented any entertainment of the notion of freedom for those stuck within.
Behind the prohibitive bars of the heavy cell door, lay an outstretched corridor shrouded in darkness. Once proudly blazing torches are now dust, littered on cast-iron holders. The corridor had clearly fared worse over time than that of the cell. Decayed brown stone bricks and mortar line the floor, fallen and discarded. Frustratingly, other denizens who were once fantastic conversation now line the corridor muttering madness to themselves. Their skin and faces unrecognizable, dressed only in torn rags that hang. For what-ever reason, their cells were far less secure than the one of our protagonists. In quieter moments, a low, marching rumble can be heard across the floor that the cell is located on - the source of this rumble unknown, and the steady rhythm only serves to highlight the dull passing of time, like tremendous grains of sand dropping in an hourglass.
Naturally, the inhabitants of the cell have attempted many strategies to obtain their freedom, but all have faltered. As there are no windows, it is impossible to count the passing and rising of the sun, but the walls have been scratched and marked with the presumed numbers of days past, and the marks can be seen all the way up to beyond comfortable reach. Matters such as food, comfort, defecation, matter not as the undead have little need for nutrition, and the keepers of the asylum have but long gone and been forgotten.

It has been said, between members of this particular cell, that they have been under a higher-level of lock and key because they carry a mighty curse, and need increased seclusion from the rest of the world. The plight of our chosen undead first appears hopeless, forever stuck in a helpless situation, awaiting the end of the world.

Some maintain their humanity due to their friendships, their innate empathy, their consciousness.
Some maintain their humanity due to their mission, their drive, their ambition and their quest.
Some maintain their humanity in order to exact their angry, cruel revenge upon their enemy, or the world.
Some maintain their humanity through the strength of their faith alone. A belief in an ideal, a god, or a belief in hope.

All that can be truly known is that you are here, you are one of the chosen, but you are not alone.

Twelve.Five
2015-02-02, 07:55 PM
Time is a strange place.

That's the thought that keeps churning around in Vrodish' head. It was enough to drive a person mad, really. Unless, of corse, other things drove one mad first. Mad... and hollow.

Yeah. No, not going there. I'll keep thinking about time, thank you.

It really was strange, how he'd been in here for what felt simultaneously like eternity and a few, short minutes. He wondered what the others were doing now. Had they all survived the raid? Kardet, his little brother, was almost a man when Vrodish was removed, he'd be joining the next raid... Or maybe he had been there already?

His head was hurting.

"Philosophy will make raving madmen of all. You," he pointed at one of the other prisoners. "Tell us a story of your life, before!"

XIII
2015-02-02, 09:22 PM
Time is convoluted in Lordran thought Inga Conradine, proud knight of Catarina. I could be in here for centuries and not know it Her present conditions did not excuse her from maintaining her equipment and appearance, and she did so as best she could.

Inga studied the cell door for hours. Testing it for a weakness, any weakness. There was good work to do out there, suffering to end and she would not allow herself to go mad like these poor creatures have. She wasn't the first, she knew that. She had seen hollows bearing the arms and armor or Catarina. It shook her a bit, to think others like her have come and failed. Well, maybe not exactly like her.

"Is anyone else finding the cell doors any more agreeable?"

Sir_Toast
2015-02-02, 10:03 PM
Time. Time. Time! How much bloody time have I lost here?

William heard the knight in the cell down the way.

"I doubt any of us finds a cell agreeable. Have you any ideas?

The sorcerer reached for a spell, a soul arrow or shockwave, but found no magic.

"I'm afraid the hollowing process has robbed me of what power I once possessed."

Argentum
2015-02-02, 11:03 PM
Why is it that I have not gone mindless yet?

Argel was huddled in a corner of the cramped cell, his flesh rotten and features virtually indistinguishable from the rest of the mindless hollows outside the cell. Another thing to ponder, why was it that the bars in his cell were still pristine, when others who had been trapped here after him were now free of their cells, roaming mindlessly?

A voice, someone in his cell spoke! Argel raised his head and saw an undead in studded leather armor pointing at him, demanding that he tell a tale of his life before imprisonment. It was rare that someone in this damnable asylum spoke, even rarer that it was coherent. Others began speaking, about the doors to their cell, but he focused on the undead pointing at him.

He tilted his head, pondering. "I.. was a scholar. In.. Vinheim, yes it was Vinheim. I studied a great deal of things. Beyond that, I remember no more."

A funny thing, the undead curse. You could go for decades without speaking, have your flesh rot and still sound exactly the same as you did in life. "What about you, friend? Tell us about yourself." He asked of the undead that had spoken first.

Twelve.Five
2015-02-02, 11:35 PM
It was harder to think back than he had imagined. What came to him wasn't orderly swathes of memories, but distorted flashes of events he'd witnessed.

"It seems I have forgotten more than I knew. I know I was a warrior. I remember fighting, the feeling of blood rushing through your veins, the splattering of other people's blood on your face: There's nothing quite like it. I.." He tries to think back, hard. "I think I died once, near the end. I think I my family were traveling merchants before. There was music, dancing, when we came to town. I remember dancing with a village girl: she was quite something I think. I don't remember her face, but she had long, red hair."

"I'm sure I had a brother, Kardet. He was almost a grown man, I think."

He seems a little desperate. "Why can't I remember?!" He gives the cell bars a good pull, trying to wrench them free, then kicks them in annoyance.

Argentum
2015-02-03, 12:05 AM
Argel remained silent as the warrior spoke of his life, like him, it seemed that the warrior had forgotten a good bit of his life. Was that to be their fate? To rot in a cell until all their memories faded away and they didn't even know why they were here in the first place? He rebelled against the thought, already, three others in his cell had spoken, surely that had to mean something! It could not be coincidence that the bars to their cell was still pristine where others had already rusted and broken.

The warrior pulled at the bars and kicked them in desperation. "Let me try, perhaps I will have more luck than you. All this talk has left me quite invigorated."

Perhaps he had been a sorcerer in Vinheim that had had his power robbed by the hollowing process just as the other undead in his cell had claimed, for whatever reason, Argel could recall some knowledge of the arcane.

Fire, the source of life, a great power. Argel drew upon it, channeling it through his desiccated veins, eyes glowing red as a purplish ball of flame grew in his hands. He lobbed it at the cell door, impacting it with a great thud, but ultimately leaving it unharmed.

Argel made a sound of annoyance, "A pity, it seems that I am not strong enough to set us free."

UristMcRandom
2015-02-03, 02:31 AM
Ciaran leaned in the corner, watching and listening, like he had for as long as he could remember. Death's a curious thing, really, he thought as he listened to the warrior's story, robbing a man of his life piece by piece...

He stood and began to walk around the cell, to what limited degree he could in the crowded space, and examined the walls, every last scratch and chink familiar by this point. However, he found his thoughts interrupted by the mage's attempt to blast the door. "Perhaps if we tried a different tack than brute force?" he said, examining the lock, "Of course, it's quite possible that these bars are simply beyond our ability to bypass."

Sephir
2015-02-03, 02:38 AM
There was a quite different figure at the edge of the room, clad in armor of a time most ancient of any here . It was clear than he was the one who had spent most time in the Asylum, firstly due to his constant mutterings to himself, and due to his ehm...."condition". No flesh remained on his skin, his form that was of a full, clean human skeleton. Only the dark light in his eyes betrayed the intelligence of this being , that it was not a pile of bones.

Cypher was muttering things nobody could understand, as he whispered, for most of his time here, doing very little else. But, the conversation did sparked his interest. He lifted himself up, his bones creaking as long collected dust shook off him.

I......i am Cypher He announce, his voice creaking I was one.....of....Gwyn's Knights ? Yes yes....Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight. We went to Lodran for.....I don't remember..It was important i think. THat's when i fell...And rose up again . GOds how many years have passed ?

He instinctively checked his sack. THe doll was there, everything was alright.

Wiz0rd
2015-02-03, 06:03 AM
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/dark-souls/thumb/1/1d/Hollow_DS.jpg/468px-Hollow_DS.jpg

A strange being in the corridor perks up after hearing the conversation and commotion coming from within the cell. A brown-stained undead hollow shuffles curiously towards the bar of your cell, and in perfect elegance proclaims:

"Urrraaaaaarrrghhh."

And promptly begins chewing on the door, with terrible disgusting teeth, drool splashing visibly on the floor.

I think he likes you.

DukeGod
2015-02-03, 09:16 AM
"I'm Lysandra, this is Brodin. Our story is kinda complicated. I come from a place where the First Flame has already burned out...but now it seems that time plays it's tricks once again"

The druid who was sitting in a corner of the cell, stands up, and does some useless dusting of her clothing. Brodin too gets to her side looks like it wants to go at the hollow on the other side but remains quiet. If he growled it might scare the thing away

"Once that thing is done eating through the door it's probably gonna want to attack us"

Twelve.Five
2015-02-03, 09:24 AM
As the slobbering undead gets near their cell, the big man scrambles all the way to the back of his cell, as far away from the mindless thing as possible.

UristMcRandom
2015-02-03, 09:51 AM
Ciaran stumbles back in disgust at the... thing chewing on the bars of the door, "Oh, lovely, the neighbors have come to visit."

Wiz0rd
2015-02-03, 01:34 PM
Before too long, something rather momentous happens.

A blinding beam of fresh, and hot light pierces the veil of darkness in the center of the small room. The light itself seems to swirl as it reflects and refracts off of centuries of dust.
Above, a silent silhouette, casting their gaze down upon you. Some of you may feel a shudder, as this has been some of the only contact with the outside world for some time.
Before any words are said between you, a falling object is followed by a large, ungracious thud.
A corpse of a hollow.
Another glimpse up and the figure has gone.

Was it a dream?

Sephir
2015-02-03, 01:42 PM
The skeleton looks down on the corpse curiously. WHy would they bother sending in a dead hollow ? he asked the rest, starting to check upon any belongings or anything interesting on the Corpse, it would not be like he needed them. He also made a swift mental prayer to Gwyn to make this poor soul rest at last.

DukeGod
2015-02-03, 02:40 PM
'The corpse holds the key"

Lysandra states absent-mindedly.It started like before...

Argentum
2015-02-03, 03:20 PM
He sat in silence, digesting the words of his cellmates. One was from a time that had not come to pass, where the First Flame had been extinguished, such a thing should have meant that life itself would cease to exist, but the woman was clearly alive and she had a companion with her. Then again, did undead such as themselves count as 'living'? And another yet, an undead so old that the flesh itself had rotted and nothing but bone remained, a knight from the era of Gwyn's reign! Truly, the wonders did not cease.

Argel had been about to express his wonderment, when a surge of light blinded him, forcing him to shudder and shut his eyes instinctively. He opened them once more only after hearing a loud thud, the sound of something falling. It was only when the woman spoke that he realized the opportunity that had presented itself.

"We should not waste this opportunity then." Argel stated, breaking his silence, looking at his cellmates.

drageir
2015-02-03, 04:59 PM
Baldar had sat quitely through it all. The days of silence, the days of commotion. Even this commotion did little to his concentration, he had said all he needed to say long ago, no point in wasting breath on rehashing the same stories. What was that saying he had read all that time ago? Baldar startled himself, how could he forget? He had to keep his mind sharp, it was all he had. Forcing himself to assume a complete calmness it came to him, trickling like some thoughts far away. Time keeps ticking and ages come and pass. History becomes myth and even that is forgotten when the age that gave it birth comes again. There are neither beginnings nor endings. 'The corpse holds the key" someone muttered from the corner and Baldar smiled, thinking there might still be beginnings.

Baldar rose up, his back arched and his broad arms outstretched. How long had it been since I stood up? He walked towards the others, deftly keeping his balance when the earth heaved. He caught his reflection in a pool of water, a tall man in his prime, but his once broad face was gaunt, his beard wispy and muscles less toned. He fingered the ring on his left hand, barely able to stick to Balders now slim hands. ”Yes, we need to get out of here…” Baldar said, his forehead bearing thoughtful frown.

Alihandros
2015-02-03, 06:29 PM
Sitting silently pondering the predicament that he had been placed into, Klaus is more keen to listen and scribe what crosses his mind. Thinking and listening rather then get in on the jabbering that the others seem to have.

"Seems the time has lost its meaning during this strange land the knights brought me to, which knights I do not know as I cannot remember their heraldry."

"Why were the others so impressed with the success of the simple scrolls I made for them?"

"What in the hells is that thing?"

"Why send a corpse to us through the light? If it can pierce this gloom, why use it to send a corpse to this "asylum"?"

"Why would they send that to us, to taunt us?"

With that Klaus will study what the corpse has on.

XIII
2015-02-03, 10:31 PM
Inga ***** her head at the mention of the "lord of sunlight," "You mean lord of cinder, of course. Gwyn has not shone in a long time now. How old are you exactly? Inga inspects the stranger's armor for heraldry or at least a style of armor.

And then things became exciting, "Ah! That was a miracle, I think! As in divine power! We may yet be saved, check the body!"

UristMcRandom
2015-02-03, 10:44 PM
Ciaran glances around as everyone looks at the corpse, "Well, if no one else is going to, I may as well," he muttered as he knelt next to the corpse, thoroughly inspecting its clothes for any pockets.

Just in case it's needed
Search check: [roll0]

Sir_Toast
2015-02-04, 12:10 AM
With a shrug of his shoulders and a stretching of his arms, William grinned with delight.

"Find anything?"

drageir
2015-02-04, 05:06 AM
"Let me give you some light," the broad man whisper. He then summons four glowing spheres of light that hovers over the corpse.

The level 0 spell Dancing Lights

Wiz0rd
2015-02-04, 05:10 AM
Between the careful prodding and handiwork of Ciaran and Klaus, the pair were successful in de-robing the poor creature.
However, while discarding the tattered cloth, they also heard a metallic ringing sound on the stone flooring. Closer inspection revealed a large, heavy-set iron key. It's rust and degradation seeming to mirror the iron of the front door of your hom- cell.
Little needs to be said as this treasure is held up for the party to see. A trinket so little, but meaning so much.

Ciaran grasps the key in his hand. Attached to the key is a medium length piece of string, still intact, as to allow the wearing of it around the neck or wrist.

Ciaran holds the key as he rolled for it, though Klaus also has a claim.

Sephir
2015-02-04, 05:26 AM
Gwyn will be what Gwyn is The skeleton replied I don't know what you mean by "Lord of Cinders" , but it's Unwise to speak as such for him. As for your question, i do not know when we are in the timeline of things. I ....Well was alive when i set off with my brothers and Lord Gwyn to reignite the First Flame. Did their quest succeeded ? And what do you mean with Lord Gwyn never shining ?

He looked at the key It seems that we got our way out, but how will we deal with the mindless hollow outside ?

Argentum
2015-02-04, 05:38 AM
While the talk of Gwyn and his title piqued his interest, escape was a far more pressing matter.

"We could simply ignore them, unless they are hostile. In which case, between the few of us that can still use sorcery and those who were warriors in life, I believe that we can dispatch them rather easily." Argel said, responding to the knight of Gwyn as he stood up for the first time in decades.

Twelve.Five
2015-02-04, 06:03 AM
"I suspect we will just bash its head in." Vrodesh searches the cell for something that'll be useful as a weapon, likely a club. If nothing better presents itself, he tries to grab a thigh-bone from the unmoving skeleton that appeared in their cell.

drageir
2015-02-04, 06:14 AM
"I think we should try the subtle approach, but be on our guard. To be honest, these wretched creatures should experience the relief of death, but I am not equipped to deliver it. For now, let us try sneaking past," Baldar eventually says. He joins Vrodesh in the search for a weapon of sorts, or worst case scenario grabs the other thigh-bone.

Bracing himself for a fight, Baldar casts True Strike.

Let's roll a search-check as well: [roll0]

Wiz0rd
2015-02-04, 06:36 AM
"Urrraaaaggghhh?" The brown animated husk outside utters as he continues chewing on the bars of the cell. Its teeth making terrible grating sounds on the rust. By the looks of it, one would suspect that the hollow is finding his snack rather delicious.

As Vrodesh and Baldar nod in agreement and being to shuffle and search the cell in order to find weapons or tools in which to defend themselves, they are reminded of how much time they spent inside the cell. Here, behind these loose pebbles, a patch of torn cloth when their friend risked turning hollow. There, in the ever dripping puddle, a piece of skin from their human days. Every corner, another story of a life lost, and time spent. No weapons however.
What weapons you do find are improvised, but proficient. Items like discarded and fallen bricks, the stronger bone limbs from your visitor, these are grasped and proudly wielded by those who choose to take them. Closer inspection of the hollow that was thrown from the roof into the cell also reveals a broken short sword. A heavy handle, with a snapped and poorly kept blade - not immediately useful, perhaps if it could be repaired somehow?

drageir
2015-02-04, 09:18 AM
Baldar studies the bony limb in his hand, its balance awkward and without a decent grip. It will have to do I guess. It’s better than battering foes with my fists at the very least, he thought. The bone made him think of the days he had spent in his youth fencing with a stick against fierce imaginary ghosts, who knew those days would actually prove useful?

Still, Baldar couldn’t help but feel afraid. He couldn’t actually remember ever being in a fight, not a real one anyway. This is hardly like in the stories, glorious heroes in shining armor fighting bravely for his lands, he thought with a smile as he grasped the bone with both hands so hard his knuckles whitened.

Sir_Toast
2015-02-04, 12:31 PM
Looking at the hollow slavering all over the rusted bars, William found himself studying it intensely.

"I'd say this fellow looks relatively harmless. Let's just open the door and let him be."

UristMcRandom
2015-02-04, 02:18 PM
Ciaran glanced around, and picked up a bone, "Perhaps he is harmless, but it's better to be ready in case he's not." With that, he walked over to the door and inserted the key, giving it a solid twist.

Sephir
2015-02-04, 03:58 PM
Cypher followed , picking up a bone and holding it on both his hands .I'm afraid our friend is past our level of sentience he said, carefully approaching the door It's too late for him, we should either ignore him or give him rest.

Ready action: Charge if it attacks anyone.

Wiz0rd
2015-02-04, 04:46 PM
Ciaran carefully inserts the key into the deteriorated lock and with a sure grip, confidently unlocks the barred door with an affirming "Click".
Within a moment, it becomes clear that the door's hinges mean that the door has to be pushed towards the hollow undead, who is currently making a meal of it.
A gentle nudge pushes the curious hollow back a step, where he remains motionless. Staring blankly.
The door is open just a crack, held by our cautious Ciaran. If it weren't for the musty smell coming from your companion beyond the door, you could almost smell fresh air.

XIII
2015-02-04, 08:10 PM
Gwyn will be what Gwyn is The skeleton replied I don't know what you mean by "Lord of Cinders" , but it's Unwise to speak as such for him. As for your question, i do not know when we are in the timeline of things. I ....Well was alive when i set off with my brothers and Lord Gwyn to reignite the First Flame. Did their quest succeeded ? And what do you mean with Lord Gwyn never shining ?

He looked at the key It seems that we got our way out, but how will we deal with the mindless hollow outside ?

"No, Gwyn succeed my good man. But at a price, he is now lord of cinder and no better off than us in here. I'm sorry but your gods have fled Lordran, those who remain are hollow or dead. Though, the Darkmoon Blades are still active which means the son is probably still around. I have only recently arrived here and my luck has been less than.... Well, I'm here, aren't I?"

Looking at the hollow slavering all over the rusted bars, William found himself studying it intensely.

"I'd say this fellow looks relatively harmless. Let's just open the door and let him be."

"No, he is a danger to himself and others. Kill it."

Ciaran carefully inserts the key into the deteriorated lock and with a sure grip, confidently unlocks the barred door with an affirming "Click".
Within a moment, it becomes clear that the door's hinges mean that the door has to be pushed towards the hollow undead, who is currently making a meal of it.
A gentle nudge pushes the curious hollow back a step, where he remains motionless. Staring blankly.
The door is open just a crack, held by our cautious Ciaran. If it weren't for the musty smell coming from your companion beyond the door, you could almost smell fresh air.

"Shall we start with cleansing this place? Our first customer awaits." Inga drops her visor, completing the "onion knight" appearance of her strange armor. Her heavy gauntlets ready for punishment.

Twelve.Five
2015-02-04, 09:05 PM
"Look, let's just leave it here. We can't kill all of them, anyway." Vrodish is very much on guard. Insomuch as undead have body language, his is nervous; he holds his "club" in what would surely be a whiteknuckled grip if he still had any meaningful measure of blood, or a heartbeat to move it.

Vrodish moves through the cell door, keeping as far away from the hollow one as is at all practical.

Argentum
2015-02-04, 10:21 PM
Argel glanced at the onion knight, "Perhaps I should remind you that even if we kill every single hollow in this place, they will simply return later. Even if their sanity is lost, they still bear the Darksign and the immortality that it entails. There is no reason to kill him if he is not hostile."

With his piece said, he walks out of the cell, following eagerly behind the warrior that had started all the conversation.

Alihandros
2015-02-04, 11:05 PM
Klaus will attempt to acquire and study the broken sword, intrigued by the fact it was thrown in with the hollow corpse.

After he does that, and the others are acquiring weapons of their own, he will join in the search, arming himself, then taking a moment to try and improve its chance, and hopefully his of survival.

Artificer Knowledge:[roll0]DC15

Taking a minute to infuse his "club" with Bane(Undead), lasting 10 minutes.

Wiz0rd
2015-02-05, 05:03 AM
Those who chose to step beyond the safety of the cell and the barred door is met with a terrible fate. A hollow undead's terrible gaze attempt.
There is no effect.
"Urrrraaaagghhh...?"

From what Vrodish can see as he advances through the corridor, is interlocking and inter-joining cells, similar to yours but had been opened far earlier with far more ease. There are various hollow-people standing around, sitting around, all attempting to speak but just form the guttural response that typically brings fear or annoyance. A few steps ahead, you can see a windowless barred area to a sunken courtyard, where the continual marching sound is emanating.

Klaus fingers the sword relic carefully and precisely, a fellow who looks proficient at their line of work after many years of retirement. From a quick study, you can tell from the engraving on the hilt that it is of Astoran origin, the sword is ancient and the blade poorly kept. Only the truly hollow or truly mad would consider wielding this as a weapon in its current state. The weight is off-balanced without the full blade, you see. Otherwise, it is typical and non-magical, a staple product in the world of mass arms proliferation.

Sir_Toast
2015-02-05, 10:46 AM
"Well, those gentlemen seem to have the proper idea. Let's get outside."

Following the others, William felt a bit better about being in such a state. A sort of, "on the road again," feeling of having a direction to go and a place to be.

Sephir
2015-02-05, 10:51 AM
Gwyn has fallen ? THat is terrible news Cypher said sadly, shaking his skull But it can't end here . I will follow his ordersin case of his demise, to follow his children. If at least one of them is alive, there is still hope. Now, let us be off. . He gets out of the cell, holding the bone as he marches to the courtyard, after he inspects any cells for somethings of interest

[roll0]

DukeGod
2015-02-05, 03:42 PM
"This place is exactly where the Hollows are supposed to go aniway. Noone comes here, they can't really harm anyone"

Lysandra doesn't grab any weapon. She wasn't good with any of those aniway. Oh, how she longed for a greatsword. Well that'd have to wait. For now, Brodin would do a good deal of fighting

Wait, what was that someone had said some time ago. Gwyn had reached the First Flame?...So it seems events were going differently here. She better think twice before just taking anything she knew for granted

Still, she keeps walking through the corridor as someone who isn't afraid of death can

Wiz0rd
2015-02-05, 04:47 PM
Cypher very briefly searches the cells that have been opened that were nearby their original cell. He quickly reports that there is little to be found other than that which has already been found; broken bricks, general-purpose filth and the occasional hollow. Some of the hollows within the cells acted differently to those who ventured into the corridor. While those outside were likely to run repeatedly at a wall, for example, those inside the cell were praying and groaning in sorrow. They do not react, even if prodded.

Cypher, determined to walk into the courtyard - turns to face a wall of bars, blocking any attempt to pass through them. The courtyard does indeed extend outwards and down below, the courtyard dark and shaded as it is underground and lined with tall, thick and strong columns.
Inside, a twisted sight, a giant demon with an engorged belly with smaller outer-limbs and a tremendous round hammer, seemingly made of giant bones. The heavy creature plods along loudly, each step raising dust. As the creature turns, it catches a look at Cypher - and stares at him angrily though the bars. The demon looks at Cypher, and then towards somewhere down the corridor, then back to Cypher, and then back to the previous site, as if trying to draw his attention to something wordlessly. Shifting the great-hammer from one shoulder to the other, the demon continues its circular march and the keeping of time.

If there's any confusion, the demon stands approximately 4-5 human bodies tall and about 3-4 human bodies wide.

XIII
2015-02-05, 06:53 PM
"What pointless suffering..." Inga stops to watch every few seconds, wishing she had a way to help. "We should find proper weapons soon... The wardens of this place will not allow us to leave without molestation."

Sephir
2015-02-05, 07:07 PM
By Gwyn's Beard, that's a demon Cypher cursed The spawn of Izalith have been busy it seems. Let us move forward, before this things breaks away.. He ventures further into the corridor after the courtyard.

Alihandros
2015-02-05, 08:01 PM
"Why would there be a demon guarding this asylum?" Klaus asks with genuine curiosity. He then proceeds if he has the time uninterrupted to do a quick sketch of the demon.

Sir_Toast
2015-02-05, 08:32 PM
William glances back and replies, I agree with the good Knights. Let's get out of here, and find us something proper to fight with."

drageir
2015-02-06, 01:25 AM
Baldar frowns "A most relevant question, I can't remember anyone mentioning demons guarding this place. Shouldn't there be humans somewhere guarding this wretched place?" The giant demons pacing rumble was mesmerizing, but after a minute he joined the group in front of the courtyard.

Argentum
2015-02-06, 01:44 AM
"Enough time has passed that other cells have fallen apart, it is likely that this asylum has reached its full capacity and has been abandoned by humans." Argel theorized distractedly, focusing his attention on examining the demon, attempting to recall what he had studied about them in his life, beyond the fact that they originated from Izalith.

Knowledge Arcana: [roll0]
Knowledge The Plains: [roll1]

UristMcRandom
2015-02-06, 11:58 AM
Ciaran exited the cell, stepping quickly away from the nearby Hollow, and following Cypher over towards the bars. When he saw the demon, he reached into a pouch with a confused expression on his face and pulled out a leather-bound journal. The cover was well-worn, and the edges of the pages looked as though they had been skimmed through many times. Ciaran flipped through the book swiftly and expertly, as though he were looking for something important.

Bardic Knowledge on the Asylum: [roll0]
Bardic Knowledge on the demon: [roll1]

XIII
2015-02-06, 12:58 PM
Baldar frowns "A most relevant question, I can't remember anyone mentioning demons guarding this place. Shouldn't there be humans somewhere guarding this wretched place?" The giant demons pacing rumble was mesmerizing, but after a minute he joined the group in front of the courtyard.

"There are no more humans left in Lordran, only us undead as well as... Other things. The demons of Izalith are our wardens, consuming souls of wayward undead. How long have you people been here? It seems we are here together now, but arrived at vastly different times. When I left Catarina, Lordran and Baldur were already ruins!"

Wiz0rd
2015-02-06, 03:58 PM
The group cautiously continues down the decrepit corridor, past the open cells as to not provoke combat from the hollows that line the asylum. As the group continues, a few of the members take the time to dwell on the nature of the large demon, others whisper conversation on their reactions to the giant bestial menace. The only thing worthy of particular mention during the ongoing steps is a rather unfortunate soul. A corpse lay impaled upon the top part of the barred window area; judging by the direction of which the bars are bent inward, it seems that this character died from an unfortunate battle with the demon within the courtyard. Launched powerfully to their final, grisly resting place - presumably through hammer-powered flight.

In any case, the group of non-hollow undead reach a small stone and door-less archway. The sound of running water emanates from within this squarish stone room.
Cypher and Baldar lead the way through the stone portal with the others close to hand. The tattered cloth at your feet begin to dampen.

Those who made checks regarding the Demon I will PM shortly, it is up to you to phrase and reveal detail about what you know however you choose.

UristMcRandom
2015-02-07, 12:59 AM
When he hears the water, Ciaran looks up from his studies and closes the book, slipping it back into his belt pouch. He grabs his makeshift weapon back from where he had tucked it beneath his belt, holding it rather like a fencing blade than a club. "Does anyone else hear that?" he asks, peering into the room.

Spot check: [roll0]

Wiz0rd
2015-02-07, 04:09 AM
Further study reveals the room to be a combimation of carved rock and set stone. The platform which welcomes the person whom enters - extends outwards and follows the outer course of the room. Inside lay a sunken area which has been flooded by some small degree. The water-line reaches up to at-least knee height, or one would image. The water is perfectly see-through, clean, clear and fresh running. Perhaps this room is the source for drinking water within the compounds, now left abandoned due tp redundancy.

There are two main sources of noise within the watery room. Firstly, the sound of flowing water through various metal drains in and around the room. Secondly, an audible hollow writhes and splashes playfully and frantically.
"Swim! Swim! Swim!" you hear them announce between garbled and choking sounds.
You find the sight morbid and unsettling, as it is well known that the ancient knowlege of swimming has been lost in the realm for decades now.

Edit:
Opposite this unfortunate creature, lay another stone set archway into yet another corridor, yet this one appears more promising as it is clearly revealing an amount of natural light and the sweet and sickly smell of fresh air.

Argentum
2015-02-07, 04:45 AM
Knowledge learnt long ago returned to Argel, he knew what the demon in the courtyard was, though that knowledge did not reveal any particular weakness that they could exploit. Troubled, it is only when the sound of water hitting his ears and one of his companions raising a question that the former scholar ceases his thoughts, noticing the hollow playing in the water instantly.

Argel would have raised an eyebrow if he still had one, as it was, he simply tilted his head to the side in curiosity.

"That is certainly an interesting sight to see." He comments, wondering how long the hollow had been in the asylum if it came from a time where the art of swimming was not yet lost.

Alihandros
2015-02-07, 09:09 AM
"I would say the outside sounds better, even though we are what we are, drowning does not appeal to me."

With that Klaus will wait for one of his better prepared fellows to lead down the path smelling of outside, but he will give it a glance down looking for any dangers their jailors may have set.

Search:[roll0]
Spot:[roll1]

Twelve.Five
2015-02-07, 10:52 AM
"Yes, we will leave for the Outside." The capital letter had been clear in his voice.

So far, Vrodish had been quiet, as they made their way through the halls of the dead. Now though, the prospect of getting out of there was cheering him up, the highly unnerving sight of the lone dead in the walker notwithstanding.

"I will lead the way. Let's go."

He's visibly impatient, nervous even.

XIII
2015-02-07, 12:43 PM
"I agree... I wish to put this palce behind us as quickly as we are able..."

Inga walks with frustration and tears in her eyes. Each soul she can help here is a dagger in her heart.

Wiz0rd
2015-02-07, 03:50 PM
"I will lead the way. Let's go."

And with that, Vrodish took the lead, brushing past Baldar and Ciaran in order to lead the trope through the second archway and towards the abstract 'Outside' land.
Upon reaching the corridor, it is easy to observe that it only extends a few yards until it reveals a metal ladder leading up and towards the bright, whitish afternoon sun. The metal ladder itself has seemed to fare far better than the other parts of the asylum, one may suggest that it is a good omen, beckoning to you. It's cold, metallic surface perhaps invigorating to the hands and hopeful to the heart.

Sephir
2015-02-07, 04:05 PM
Finally some light! Cypher exasperated, starting to climb the ladder as fast as he could, eager to get out of this hellish place as fast as it was safely possible

[roll0]

Wiz0rd
2015-02-07, 05:01 PM
The ladder holds your weight strong and true, and seems of quality high enough to sustain the weight of any amount of travelers upon it, it is well and truly cemented to the Asylum. Curiously, you note the damp and moist walls and the wooden frame above, it seems that this laddered area used to be used primarily as a well previously. It beckons the question to how much of the asylum itself is original, and not a thing adapted from another.

Another stone archway leads onto an idyllic scene. The air is cool and fresh and the infinite sky can be observed from the courtyard which lays above ground. The sky is an infinite mix of clouds and shades of grey, snow descends silently and gracefully onto the untouched dirt surface in-front of you. The feeling of cold is recognized, yet heavily dampened by your deadened nerves, irritatingly. The courtyard extends out several paces in a square fashion, and to one side, you can observe the remainder of a abandoned stable.

To the center of the courtyard lay an ancient sword, thrust deeply into the ground and surrounded by dry bones and their powders. The mysterious, magical creation appears to be smouldering and revealing an ember. It beckons to you, as if a single touch could restore the flame and give it life and hope...

Beyond the sword, lay a set of huge doors, preventing further vision and exploration of the prison. The doors are painted a sickly blue color to disguise the clear amount of rust on the fixings and hinges. It is unclear if the door is meant to be pushed open by hand, or a device elsewhere.

Sephir
2015-02-07, 05:08 PM
Wh-what is this ? Cypher asked curiously, staring at the strange sword. It was almost familiar, beckoning him to touch it. Carefully, he brought the bone he had picked up, and slowly but steadily, touched the hilt of the sword. If nothing happened, he would grasp it and try to pull it out. Such weapons are hard to find these days.

Sir_Toast
2015-02-07, 06:37 PM
"I'm not certain," William replied, "but it draws me in.

Twelve.Five
2015-02-07, 06:45 PM
The sky, the fresh bite of the air, even the snow, especially the snow, it all brings to light memories that Vrodish had not even known was there to forget.
And yet, for all these wonders, he could do naught but stare at the ember of the pommel, captivated.

He walks forward, slowly, reaching out his hand....

And snaps it back.

"Is touching it a good idea? I think it wants to burn."

He speaks slowly, carefully, not taking his eyes off of the spark.

UristMcRandom
2015-02-07, 07:08 PM
Ciaran hangs to the back of the group, his nose once again buried in his book. He glances up several times, looking at the sword and the ember as if studying them, "I agree, it may be dangerous. I may have something in here about it..."

Bardic Knowledge on the sword/ember: [roll0]

drageir
2015-02-07, 07:55 PM
Baldar remains silent as well, trying to rack his thoughts around what the sword means Sorry, meant to post this in the OOC. Anyway, I'd like a knowledge on the sword. Not sure which applies, Arcana? History? [roll0] my Arcana-modifier is 7, history is 3

Argentum
2015-02-07, 08:12 PM
The light and idyllic scenery refreshes Argel as he reaches the top of the ladder, walking into the courtyard almost reverently. Basking in the warmth and sunshine, he ignores the questions of his companions for just a moment before reluctantly focusing on the object of his companion's bewilderment. Staring at the sword, Argel searches through his shattered memories in hopes of finding knowledge about the oddly soothing creation before him.

Knowledge Check(Arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge Check(Religion): [roll1]

Alihandros
2015-02-07, 09:21 PM
The oddity of such a powerful weapon being left here, with the thing patrolling the courtyard below, things just seemed to good to be true, though Klaus will try and see what he can remember, circling the sword looking for writing or pictorials to see if they will provide a clue of the things origin.

Artificer Knowledge:[roll0]

Wiz0rd
2015-02-08, 09:45 AM
Using all the tools available to you, your memories, your logic and your notes, you can identify that this ancient sword that has been thrust deeply into the ground admist a stack of bones and dust is in-fact: a bonfire.

Rumor suggests that the swords of Gwyn's Silver Knights cast down some of their weapons in an act of peace and prosperity in areas of refuge, rest and rejoice. These immovable objects are a relic of a time past, a time where the age of fire was in full bloom, but now a distant memory: their roaring fires now smoky, limp embers. It was said, in the past, that bonfires used to be hubs for travelling merchants and smithies as the bonfire has a natural draw to many fellows.

The mystical bonfire is highly magical in nature, a moment of rest can remove the tests and turmoil of an adventurer - the bonfire has a curious healing property and can relieve any ailment. Due to the innate joy of sharing a bonfire amongst friends and family, time seems to flow curiously around it, as it links time and space between one another. Moments can seem like forever, or time can flow with little rhyme or reason.

While any living (edit: or non-living) creature can activate and restore a bonfire, the only pre-requisite for the act, is faith, or a strong belief regarding the primordial fire. While bonfires are known to be uncommon, a lit bonfire is even rarer in times such as these, in times of doubt and turmoil. It is known that several bonfires take upon Fire-keepers, people who tend the fires and aid adventurers in time of need with their charity and advice. It is also said, that this charity and sacrifice creates a very special soul indeed.

Klaus, searching the walls and local area for any sign of information about the artifact, finds no remaining trace or any additional information about the bonfire, other than the chatter between yourselves.
Sephir prods the curious sword in the ground with his borrowed limb from the cell, revealing no apparent effect. The bonfire sits and embers ever so slightly as before.

As someone may find, the fresh air, the serenity and peace of the area, and the new-found inevitability of freedom, fills our party with positivity and hope. Truly we are in a time of change, and we are now masters of our own destiny once again.

I'd like to believe the team is hopeful, courageous and in good spirits after unlocking their freedom. Please remember to add a +1 bonus to your attack rolls and saves for the time being.

Sephir
2015-02-08, 09:55 AM
Seeing there was no after effect from touching the sword with the bone, Cypher grasps the hilt with his skeletal hand, testing how tightly it is impaled on the ground. Such sword reminded of the blades of his order. It would be good to have such a weapon again.

Wiz0rd
2015-02-08, 10:07 AM
The bonfire responds to the firm and fervent grip as an audible 'whoosh' of warmth and fire erupts from the base of the sword. A distant metallic gong rings dully in the distance, towards the land of Lordran, as birds leap to the heavens in flight. The fire, rather than hot to the skin, feels warm and comforting.

The sword on the other hand is well and truly stuck to the ground. You suspect others have tried to remove the artifact and failed. The sword itself is ancient and rusted and most likely wouldn't serve as a very good weapon for the extended future. Though, if your heart was set on it, you suspect you can attempt to pull out the sword with your full strength - what may happen though, may be left to your imaginations.

Argentum
2015-02-08, 10:49 AM
Memories of the bonfire and what they stood for came rushing back into Argel's mind, joy surged through his long-dead veins as his skeletal companion placed a hand on the sword's hilt and lit the fire once more. "To think that I have forgotten such a simple fact." He shakes his head, stepping toward the fire and sitting down close to it, basking in the warmth for just a moment.

"These swords were weapons that the knights of Gwyn threw down symbolically, in times of peace, during the Age of Fire long ago. They were used as hubs for travelers to rest, for merchants and smiths to sell their wares, it represents safety and it heals all wounds when a person sits close to it." He said, speaking reverently as he stared into the fire.

drageir
2015-02-09, 12:32 PM
Baldar gives a content nod as the bonfire goes ablaze, it's warmth playing on his dry skin. His mind drifts amongst wonderful memories long forgotten, to his wife and child, surely passed away by now but their memory forever alive in his mind.

Baldar feels as though he could stay there forever staring into the fire, but a sense of urgency hits him and he gestures towards the other members of the group that they should not linger too long.

UristMcRandom
2015-02-10, 12:26 AM
Ciaran sighs as the warmth of the bonfire washes over him, feeling refreshed and restored by the glow. He closes and pockets his book once more, nodding to Argel as he does so, "That's what I have written, too."

Wiz0rd
2015-02-11, 06:26 AM
Those who rest at the bonfire experience a euphoric rush cone over them, their vision blurred by a twirl of multicoloured smoke that smells similarly to that of a spring morning. Your scratches and fatigue are relieved of you in an instant, and you sit, feeling very much like a brand new you.

You also know that the bonfire has other uncanny abilities, such as Lord Gwyns blessing to restore humanity, available only to those who crush the curious black and white etheral sprites.

Other than this, the idyllic silence of the courtyard scene is infrequently interrupted by the chatter between the newly formed party.

Sir_Toast
2015-02-11, 12:58 PM
A yawn and a stretch escaped William as he enjoyed sitting by the fire.

I haven't felt this good in ages!

XIII
2015-02-12, 11:16 PM
This is quite nice, but we should really be going..."

drageir
2015-02-13, 02:28 AM
Baldar nods in agreement. «Lead the way,» he gestures to no one in particular.

Wiz0rd
2015-02-13, 05:27 AM
Unless ones desires to scale brick walls using nothing but their bare hands, to the right of the courtyard lies a rusted gate door barring entry. The door could be described as something in poor quality.

Otherwise, the giant sized oddly coloured double-doors may lead you on to the path of salvation.

Your fate is in your hands now, you have but to think it, and carry it out.

Argentum
2015-02-13, 05:36 AM
Standing from the bonfire regretfully, Argel examines the courtyard. While he could Invoke the power of Spiderwalk to scale the walls as easily as he would stroll across the dirt beneath his feet, that would still leave his companions trapped. Call him sentimental or foolish, but Argel did not want to leave his newly found friends behind just for a chance to wander the world freely.

"I would assume that the rusted gate leads to more cells, shall we try the large doors then?" He suggested.

Sir_Toast
2015-02-13, 08:30 PM
Standing with a sigh, William nodded his agreement.

"Those doors have to lead somewhere. Lead on, sir knight."

Sephir
2015-02-13, 08:36 PM
Very well, let us move onward the skeletal Cypher said, getting up as he approached the doors. Readying his hands against the wood, he pushed with all his boney might

[roll0]

Alihandros
2015-02-13, 09:31 PM
After enjoying the "nights" rest, Klaus will try his luck with the rusted gate, sometimes things that are old often yielded the best things. Other times they lead to trouble, but with those not wanting to try it, he was his curiosity getting the better of him.

Open Lock:[roll1]

Wiz0rd
2015-02-14, 03:16 AM
With a push and a wheeze, and with enough time, the large set of double doors creak open, and find a natural resting spot just wide enough to let a single person through, should they slide through the portal side on. Caution to opening the door further is concluded by the poor state of repair of the stonework above the doors, dust and pebbles falling already.
Through the crack in the doorway, you can see another open air courtyard, many ceramic pots and a set of double doors on the other side. That courtyard extends out further than the one you are currently in.

While the party test their might on the large double doors, Klaus takes a quiet moment to inspect the rusted old door. Assumptions of what may lay behind aside, Klaus applies his known knowledge of doors and tumblers. This door has seen better days, and is of worse quality than the one of your cell. Using your tools, your dexterity does reveal a good grip on the unsophisticated mechanism inside. You assume that either you could crack open the lock with little difficulty, or crack open the hinges with enough application of proper force. You just neee a little bit more time.

Alihandros
2015-02-14, 12:38 PM
Raising his voice as to be heard,"Folks, while I know you are all clamoring to get out of here, would we not owe it to others like us should there be some like us trapped on the other side of this portal? I know I would hope that should others have gotten out before us, they would have tried to get to us instead of running out of here at the first chance."

With that Klaus will take time and try the mechanisms of the lock, hoping that they will yield under his careful touch. While he does that he will keep an eye on his fellows and what they choose to do.

Argentum
2015-02-14, 07:39 PM
Argel tilted his head in thought at Klaus's words. Certainly, he would hope that any undead which had escaped from the asylum would help him escape as well, but either he and his companions were the first, or any undead which had escaped previously thought that everyone else had hollowed. And the chances of everyone having hollowed after such a long time was high.

Then again, every single one of his companions in his cell had survived and here they stood, free of their cell and surrounding a bonfire lit again after countless years. "Yes, we do not owe it to anyone to try, but it is definitely the right thing to do." Argel glanced at his companions, "Those who haven't done so yet should rest at the bonfire, should anything unpleasant happen to us, we will come back to life at this spot."

Sir_Toast
2015-02-14, 08:50 PM
With a shrug and a look to the empty room ahead, and a glance at the unlocked gate behind, "Shall we flip a coin?"

Wiz0rd
2015-02-15, 03:27 AM
With a shrug and a look to the empty room ahead, and a glance at the unlocked gate behind, "Shall we flip a coin?"

And, with an affirming 'clang', and a wry smile brought to Klauses face, the side door was now unlocked and swung cautiously open. Inside shows a darkened and heavily bricked stairwell leading upnand back in the direction in which you came, yet on another floor.

The large, potted courtyard beyond the double doors remains empty.

UristMcRandom
2015-02-16, 01:38 AM
The clang from the door shakes Ciaran out of his almost trance-like state, and he rises from the bonfire to join the rest of the group, dusting himself off as he does so.

"But what are the odds that anyone else hasn't gone completely hollow? Frankly, it's astronomical that we're all still relatively intact, should we really risk our first chance at freedom in who knows how long for supposition?"

Ciaran will go along if pressured slightly, I'm not crazy enough to split the party, especially if what I think about that courtyard is correct.

Sephir
2015-02-16, 05:07 AM
We will first secure an exit Cypher suggested Once we have a clear and clean way of transporting any sane undead such as us, we will sreach for them.

Alihandros
2015-02-16, 04:39 PM
Klaus will shrug.

"I only tried the door as a hope, I see the wisdom in the idea of self-preservation, but I would assume that should we be able to, rescuing hopefully others like us will be a reward. Though if this leads to that thing, then I hope we would come back with some actual weapons rather then what we have. I will go with what we all agree upon, I have no reason to start a quarrel amongst ourselves."

With his piece said, he will walk towards the fire again, awaiting response from those not weighed in on the issue yet.

DukeGod
2015-02-16, 05:13 PM
She had missed this. The warmth of the Bonfire brought back memories. How many times had she felt it last time?

Thus, Lysandra is the last to leave the fire. She does not remember the asylum that well, this place was not one where she happened to stay a long time...whatever lies beyond that door, she doesn't know

But the exit is through the courtyard. She goes there with the others

Argentum
2015-02-17, 12:55 AM
"There is no real reason why we cannot venture forth and come back later to see if anyone else has not yet hollowed." Argel shrugged. As the bard had said, the fact that all of his cellmates had retained their sanity and not hollowed was astounding, the chances of others having survived as well as they had were slim.

Deciding to take the initiative, he walks through the doors to the courtyard, stopping just several steps past the open door and pausing to look at his surroundings in search of anything of interest or to see if any hollow had made it this far and become hostile, he looks at the walls surrounding him, up at the ceiling and the ground around him.

Search Check: [roll0]
Spot Check: [roll1]

drageir
2015-02-17, 01:29 AM
Baldar shakes off the warmth of the bonfire, he had heeded his companions suggestion and would avoid returning to the dreaded cell if he could. He awoke to some sort of quarrel over which way to go, but it was all settled when Argel stepped into the courtyard.

Baldar couldn't help but admire the man for taking initiative, he had never been much of a leader himself, hiding behind books and imaginary friends for much of his youth. Even so, the big man straightened himself and followed in Argels footsteps.

Wiz0rd
2015-02-17, 05:41 AM
Argel, Baldar and Lysandra cautiously step into the large open-air courtyard. It is quickly discovered that the area used to have a roof and celing attached before it has been damaged. Studying this, it is clear that an unmoving, solitary and large presence is looming up there, and it is looking right at you. Though unmoving, through an otherworldly sense, you can tell that it's vision is full of wrath. On the roof, looking down upon you, is another Large Demon, presumably the remainder of the prision guard of the keep.

The pots around you are large and heavy, but brittle with age. Inside them, nothing but large handfuls of ash and dust, presumably ancient wheat and grain from when the Aslyum was more proper in nature.

Next to the large double doors, lays a highly noticable and glowing streak on the ground. It's glowing effect and vivid color suggests that it is magical in nature. On closer inspection, the orange streaks have a moving, shifting script on it that repeats:

"To the left, Run!"

drageir
2015-02-17, 05:49 AM
Not wanting to confront the large demon with the brittle bone he carries, Baldar heeds the message and runs to the left in a desperate search for an exit, his shout a hoarse but loud "RUN!"

[roll0]
[roll1]

If the demon attacks Baldar will cast Expeditious Retreat, Swift in order to gain extra speed.

Argentum
2015-02-17, 06:04 AM
Argel's heart would have skipped a beat had it still been functioning, looking upon the 'Stray' Demon standing on the roof of the asylum.

His search for anything that may be of use against such a beast was rewarded by a set of glowing orange words on the ground, a message saying "To the left, Run!".

As one of the undead that followed him into the courtyard heeds the message with a scream, Argel turns back to the group still by the bonfire. "There is a demon on this side! Go through the other door and see if you can find better weapons to face this beast!"

With his warning given, Argel desperately searches the left side for anything that can help them escape from the demon, murmuring words of a long forgotten language under his breath to Invoke the power of Spiderwalk.

Initiative: [roll0]
Search Check: [roll1]
Standard Action: Cast Spiderwalk invocation

Sephir
2015-02-17, 11:50 AM
HA! A challenge worthy of my skill! Cyoher says proudly as he hears something about a demonn as steps into the courtyar Face me you foul beast! I got a bone to pick with you!

Charge anything that appears.

Wiz0rd
2015-02-17, 07:24 PM
...Face me you foul beast!

With that, the great demon leaps to the courtyard below. The ground visibly shakes, and dust raises dramatically from the point of its descent. The weapon of the great beast, a large bone hammer, used as a prop to support the great jump it had just taken. Its face is twisted and contorted with anger, its hair and eyebrows exaggerated by great ornate antlers, it's skin coarse and leathery and of a blue tint.
It readies itself for combat. It's grotesque large legs, arms and belly poised and ready for battle.

Magic incarnations spoken, and attention focused - Argel, Baldur, you both see and hear a small, single portcullis raise alongside the left side of the courtyard. Rather than seeing many aids to your escape, you see more pots line the direct path towards safety, and pots alone.

Argels words of warning echo within the bonfire courtyard, the words seeming to create an aura of urgency and animation about the previously serene scene.

The demon is huge and slow, and recovering from its leap from the roof. Argel, Cypher and Balder have one 'suprise' round of actions. Others who join the combat later will go after in the initative order.

Edit: Explanation.
You'll have to succeed in a STR or Attack Roll check to succeed in breaking the pots in your path,or risk running past the demon and provoking AoO. Argel, this is less of a concern as you can Spiderwalk.
Cypher, the demon has totally arrived. RP and roll your charge attack as per your readied action.

Sephir
2015-02-17, 07:35 PM
FOul monster! Face the might of Cypher! The skeleton howled prouldy, trying to gather the creature's attention from the rest, as he charged , holding the bone to his skeletal palms. A skeleton charging a demon with a bone held something deeply poetic in the knights mind as he smashed against the demon

[roll0]
damage [roll1]

Sir_Toast
2015-02-17, 07:38 PM
"Ah, damnit."

William sighed, and joined the skeletal knight in his foolhardy charge.

Argentum
2015-02-17, 08:57 PM
His search found him naught but a multitude of pots and a portcullis leading to the unknown, presumably the salvation that the message on the floor had been referring to. His mind, racing with thoughts of how to reach the portcullis without being utterly destroyed by the demon, came to a screeching halt as the bony knight rushes into the courtyard.

Argel stared, jaw slackening in horror as the demon leaped from its perch to face its challenger.

What a foolish man. He thought in almost comical despair, shaking his head as the knight of Gwyn charged the beast. The knight will surely be killed if he faced that beast alone.

Reluctantly, Argel ran up the wall on his right, leaving him nearly diagonally opposite in position to the portcullis. A ball of purplish flame grew in his hands for a moment, before he thrust his hand toward the demon and willed the unnatural flame to strike the demon's head. Perhaps he could get the beast to focus its attention on him and let the two on the ground whack it to death.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Not sure if I'm in range for Point Blank Shot to affect my rolls, +1 to both rolls if I am.

Wiz0rd
2015-02-18, 07:35 AM
Cypher's brave attempt an attack on the towering demon reveals a moderate success, the flesh of the demon is thick and rubbery, and the strike came up in an ugly, small bruise on the belly of the beast.
His ally, Baldar can be seen charging to attempt the same attack closely behind him, for better or worse. For our intents and purpouses, you are both in arms and combat reach with your target.

Argel, meanwhile successfully climbs the coarse brick wall with inherent magic, and stands next to the open portcullis, ready to attack or dart away in a moments notice. An empowered bolt or arcane energy is released from his hands, and streaks across the face and vision of the great creature. Not exactly hitting the mark, but you can tell from the sideways glance that the beast recognises your presence.

Lysandra, the maiden that joined the party into the courtyard, almost perfected the strong and silent archetype. Reacting not to the room or the orange written warning on the ground, it is only now that her stances changes, ready to do anything that she sets her mind to.

EDIT:
The great demon lifts its heavy bone hammer into the air, mimicking the reckless swing of the small skeletal knight that struck it. With a powerful motion, the head of the heavy hammer weapon strikes down upon Cypher and Baldar, a great plume of dust and debris rises from the spot, shielding the fate of the duo behind the screen of dust.

Sir_Toast, declared actions please!
Standard, full-round, free actiond - whatever you want, just roll please, thank you.
I will roll the demon's attack roll when I am with my dice later. Presume the worst, for now.
I'll also write up an OoC Intitative list for you. Woo, combat!

drageir
2015-02-18, 09:24 AM
I guess I charged into him, OK :smalleek:

Baldar had never really been in a fight, not a real one and definitely not against a giant demon like this. For a second he stood shaken, trying to analyze the situation, what to do. As his companion, by far a braver soul than himself charges into the great beast, Baldar finds himself doing the same. His knuckles turn white around the ...mighty... bone, murmurring an swift incantion and moves with blazing speed behind the demon. Eyeing the giant hammer carefully, he slams the bone into the demons leg.

Swift: Cast Expeditious Retreat, Swift in order to gain 60 ft movement.
Move: Walk behind the Asylum Demon
Std. action: Fight defensively

Baldar fights defensively (std action) gaining -4 to Hit and +2 to AC
Baldar Power Attacks for -1
Baldar has True Strike casted for +20 to hit
Baldars weapon is improvised (-4)
Baldars normal modifier in melee is +5
Total: 25-9=16

[roll0]
for
[roll1] damage

(If Baldar gets a Flank he gains another +2 to Hit)

Sir_Toast
2015-02-18, 11:17 AM
Seeing the plume of dust obscure his new friends in arms (such as they were), William felt quite angry. Though he only had his hands, magic long gone, he would do everything in his power to bring that demon low!

[roll0] (+3 Strength, +2 Charging)
[roll1] (+3 Strength bonus)

Sephir
2015-02-18, 11:43 AM
"No you big lump of flesh! Your enemy is here!" Cypher yelled as he tried to gain the attention of the demon while he started swinging towards it's belly again "Idiots! I was supposed to be the distraction! Get in that corridor!"

[roll0]+1 from morale bonus .
[roll1]

Argentum
2015-02-18, 11:57 AM
"Too late for that now!" Argel yelled in reply, running along the wall and getting behind the demon. Fire sprouts in his hand and is quickly thrown at the behemoth's face.

Move Action: Run along the walls until behind the demon.
Standard Action: Eldritch Blast

I'll assume that I'm in range for Point Blank Shot now.

UristMcRandom
2015-02-18, 01:16 PM
Ciaran, hearing the sounds of battle, dashed around the corner, seeing the massive beast. Flipping rapidly through his journal, he found the page he was looking for, and launched into singing an old battle hymn to inspire courage in his allies.

Move action: step just inside the courtyard.
Standard action: Begin Bardic Inspire courage effect, +1 on Attack and Damage rolls to all allies in earshot.

XIII
2015-02-19, 09:32 PM
Inga runs to the corridor and waits at it's entrance, "We will not win here like this! We are faster than it, come!"

Wiz0rd
2015-02-20, 08:11 AM
This is a link to the OoC post that explains everything to do with characters and the battle thus far. Please read carefully. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18850434&postcount=153)

Ciaran, the Bard: 19
Baldar, the Duskblade: 17
Cypher, the Charging Fighter: 16
Asylum Demon: 15
Lysandra, the Druid: 13
Argel, the Unfortunate-Rolling Warlock: 5

Ciaran slides into the courtyard with flair, hastily scrabbling through his prized notebook, with a satisfied "Aha!" the correct page is found and Ciaran bursts into an uncanny song. The professional, tone and pitch and the generally good acoustics of the room mean that his heartfelt song of heroics, bravery and courage can be heard clearly over the sounds of general battle and provides a sense of drama and the cinematic to the scene.
Lysandra stands besides Ciaran, still yet to take action, an undead wolf stood obediently next to her, studying the demon as it moves and sways ponderously. Only Lysandra can tell the machinations of the thoughts swirling within her own mind with the prospect of risk and danger before her. One would imagine the determined look on her face may reveal a message of "What would a Druid do?"

Cypher, pleased with the apparent effectiveness of his original attack, strikes away yet again, but also relaying some instruction with his speech and taunts. Cypher immediately cuts into the fray again and again, landing successive hits on the large demonic bestial creature. One could almost say that his martial ability, even with such little equipment, is admirable. Each hit reacts in a strange jelly-type slapping sound, curious.

The demon releases an unearthly grunt after the ineffectiveness of his first attack, only striking the ground. It's voice having a strange vocal effect, of being ethereal and coming from multiple places at once. The bravery of the group of rebellious undead could be commended, not many would face the demon as he lept from his station, the attacks it received as it recovered from it's brief flight are noticeable, with wounds appearing on his leg and apparent stomach.
The demon raises his hammer up, with the rough and course head of the destructive tool, points downwards. The motion itself is not unlike that of a gravedigger, putting their full force downwards, thrusting their tool powerfully into the ground. The target of this strike is the little skeletal knight who taunted it so and stirred it's wrath. With the sound of tough ancient bone smashing against the stone brick ground, more dust is raised, and the force of the blow could be felt as wind against the nerves of those in its presence.

Attack Damage[roll1]
Cypher, as it is a large and slow attack, take a Reflex Save (a roll away, or a block) for half-damage, if it is a hit.

EDIT: Spellchecking.

Sephir
2015-02-20, 08:42 AM
As the dust settled, the lone knight of Gwyn remained after the attacked, his bones battered, but with will unbroken ."Is that the best you can do ? He taunted the beast I asked for a fight, not a scratch in the back!. Raising he bone again, he made a leaping attack to strike the demon's ugly face. His enemy was boned, figuratively and literally. The attack missed, but his target was not to hurt the demon, but tp draw it's attention so his comrades were safe

attack [roll0]+4 Str +1 Bab +2 Flank
damage [roll1] 6 from x1.5 str

Alihandros
2015-02-20, 03:55 PM
Hearing the sounds and the yell to find true weapons, Klaus will head through the portal he opened seeking weapons or allies.

Wiz0rd
2015-02-21, 02:36 PM
Klaus steps through the door he unlocked previously, and is promptly met by a large and unmoving brick wall. The sounds of battle in the courtyard are still audible, if dulled by two walls of thick stone.

Looking up the stairwell, you can determine that it is fairly dim, the area totally encased and without windows to the dullish grey light of the Aslyum sky.

At the top of the staircase, Klaus finds himself standing upon a landing, one that is next to another dark stairwell leading up, a walkway overlooking the bonfire courtyard, and another small corridor leading off and to the left out of view.

The area seems to be old, yet robust cold, hard and coarse brick with very simple architecture design. No further expense was made on embellishment or decoration, and no other sounds are being made other than those produced by your allies and your nearby foe.

DukeGod
2015-02-22, 09:30 PM
Lysandra holds Brodin's fur for a bit, as he snarls at the demon.

"I ask for this miracle. Sharpen the fangs" and with a quick chant, casts her magic. Yes, the bonfire still allowed her to get back her power. Brodin's fangs gain a slight glow, before she releases him

"Go boy! You knight! Fall back, I can heal you"

And so the wolf goes to attack

This'll have to do for now
Lysandra casts Magic Fang on Brodin
Brodin is going to move and attack.

Brodin Bite [roll0]
On hit, Damage [roll1] (+1 Str Mod, +1 Magic Fang)
On Critical, Confirmation [roll2]
CONFIRMED CRITICAL! [roll3]

drageir
2015-02-23, 05:17 AM
Baldar swayed his shoulders from side to side, trying to stay light on his feet without taking the demons attention. The demon slammed into Cypher with intimidating power, a hit that surely would knock himself out. We need to finish this quickly, Baldar thought and slams into the creature with the "club" again, putting his full weight behind the attack.

Actions:
5 ft step: Step 5 ft, trying to stay behind the Asylum Demon
Full Attack: Hit with Power Attack, subtracting -1 for +2

Hit modifiers:
Baldar Power Attacks: -1
Baldars normal melee modifier: +5
Baldar is happy thanks to the bonfire: +1
Baldar is flanking: +2
Baldar is inspired by Cieran's song: +1
Total: +8

Damage modifiers:
Baldar Power Attacks with a weapon wielded in two hands: +2
Baldar gets 1,5xSTR with a weapon wielded in two hands: +6
Total: +9

[roll0]
for
[roll1]

Baldar will continue to try to stay behind the demon and attack him, but won't move if it provokes an AoO. He will also stick with the plan to power attack and hit once.

[roll2]
for
[roll3]
[roll4]
for
[roll5]

Reflex rolls if the demon attacks Baldar:
[roll6]
[roll7]

edit: formatting

Alihandros
2015-02-23, 04:22 PM
Klaus will cautiously make his way down the hall, hoping that he can find something to help his comrades with, that this doesn't lead directly into the asylum is in his mind a semi-promising sign.

Wiz0rd
2015-02-23, 06:26 PM
The demon writhes in pain and curses the undead rabble with every hit taken, it becomes clear yjat the beast is not difficult to hit but its large size may denote a large pool of stamima. As any demonologist knows, they are glutton for punishment. Most likely to the joy of the party, the demon is receiving injury - it is not immune to your assault.

Cypher leapt into the air to land with his bone club powerfully, though the jump was slightly mis-judged after being struck by the beast, nevertheless, it should be noted thst it would have been an impressive looking blow should it had landed. Cypher's warnings are loud and clear, he has chosen himself to be the target, not his allies.

Lysandra's divine prayers are indeed heard, her link with nature rejuvinated by the flame. With the prayer, Brodin's fangs and claws grow larger and begin to faintly glow with a dullish light. The wolf heartily obligied when instructed to attack, it had been a number of years since Brodin had looked so full of life, his natural instincts not dulled by the years of undeath. The wolf leaps and ravages where it can, without mercy or abandon.

Baldar, moving with an uncanny proficency, strikes out at the demon again, the blow landing on the mark. His face betrays a look of honesty and concern. Not concerned with rage, malice or courage, Baldars thoughts are distinctly practcal - what is my target and how can it be brought down quickly as to prevent harm to come?

You would suspect the demon to topple after a focused assault onto its legs and lower body, but the demon appeard as sturdy as ever, unshifted. The demon, amidst beeing attacked, winds up a cruel and wicked back-swing and unleashes a wave of hammer upon Sephir and potentially those around him!

Attack roll on Cypher [roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]
Ponderous attack, roll REF save for half damage.
Great Cleave is in effect, should Cypher falter.

---

Klaus searches the upper landing overlooking the bonfire courtyard, with his initial search revealing two observations:
Firstly, around the corner from one of your options for direction travel, is a stone archway leading to a small stairwell. The curious thing about this corridor is the fact that there are new torches burning on the wall, fresh and well maintained. Curious in a place of such decay.

Secondly, a small crack in the wall, created by a few fallen bricks that you discovered by tracing your hands across it, reveals a small, dark room with a pilliar of light inside. With the pilliar of light lies a shining figure, thought it is difficult to tell with great accuracy through the small spotting hole.

UristMcRandom
2015-02-23, 11:51 PM
Ciaran continues to sing, closing his journal and once again stowing it. He grips the limb tighter in his hand, sizing up the battle to ascertain what further actions he should take.

Ciaran will hang back for now, pending engaging the demon becoming a necessity. For now, however, the warriors/casters seem to be handling it well enough.

Sephir
2015-02-24, 01:34 AM
Cypher Nimbly dodged the blow by a quick sidestep , avoiding the cumbersome mace of the demon. But he saw that despite their tries, the beast stood unfazed . "Tactical Withdrawal ! We need a better strategy to kill this beast" He ordered the others as the Knight commander of old , pointing at the exit on the west of the great doors "I'll keep him busy until all of you are gone!"

Delay until the end of initiative order

If the others hear his command, he ends with Withdraw as a full round action, escaping through the portcullis

If they don't , he attacks the demon

[roll0]
[roll1]

Wiz0rd
2015-02-24, 06:30 AM
The sound of singing and mortal combat continues as the battle rages on.

The demon finishes its wild, two handed swing, not hitting or harming anyone, but shatters through a brick and stone collumn as if it were a brittle toy tower. Several of the pots littering the scene are smashes dramatically.

The demon needs time to recover after this exertion, it is now the turn for the Undead.

Thank you Sephir, your warnings are loud and clear, it depends on what the party does now.

William, Baldar, Lysandra and Argel still have their actions this turn.
Klaus, Inga, you may act freely as you are out of combat.

drageir
2015-02-24, 07:31 AM
"We cannot falter, not yet!" Baldar exclaimed. They could not risk the mighty demon sweeping the whole party in one swing. Baldar's knuckles went white around the bone as he slammed into the demon once again.

Actions:

Hit - (1d20+8)[27]
for
damage - (1d6+9)[13]

Hit modifiers:

Damage modifiers:

Wiz0rd
2015-02-25, 06:45 AM
The combined efforts of our undead champions, adventurers of arcane, divine and martial skill, is starting to have a visible effect on their quarry. Blugeoning bruises from their makeshift clubs turn to broken skin and broken bones, internal injuries turning from a sickly color to something much more urgently lethal. Eldritch blasts visibly leaving patches of smouldering, fragrant flesh.

It is clear that you foe is bloodied, and that before too long, this battle will be over - the victor yet undiscovered. Just as rats: demons get more deadly when up against a corner.

The fate of the small group lay in their hands and what they do next.

Sir_Toast
2015-02-25, 12:35 PM
With a rather disturbing grin, William kicked and punched at the demon at the demon, shouting out, "I haven't had this much fun in years!"

Flurry!
Attack Roll: [roll0] (-2 to hit, +3 Strength Bonus)
Attack Roll: [roll1] (Same as above)
Damage Rolls
[roll2] (+3 Strength)
[roll3] (+3 Strength)

DukeGod
2015-02-25, 04:52 PM
"Light, that burns the eye and leaves ghosts in sight! Flare!"

With a snap of a finger, a quick burst of red light appears right before the demons eyes. The beast looked strong and should be able to avoid the harmful effects but it was worth a try

Meanwhile, Brodin keeps his attack

Lysandra casts Flare. It's a mere DC 14 Fortitude to not be affected by it but might aswell try. If the demons fails he is "Dazzled" and gets a -1 on his attack rolls
Bite Attack [roll0]
On hit, Damage [roll1]

If Critical, Confirmation[roll2]
Critical Damage[roll3]

Wiz0rd
2015-02-26, 09:08 AM
Frustrated with the failure of the work of its hammer, the ornate antlered eyebrows of the demon furrow. He looks from side to side, recieving continuous blows from each of the tiny beings surrounding it. Little injuries now appearing all around it.

The demon, ignoring the pecks and attacks of the little ones, takes a moment to perform a tremendous leap into the air. The moments of the leap appearing in slow motion, tiny bat-like wings on its back flap wildly to not apparent benefit. Each of our champions can be seen tracing the trajectory with their vision, mouths agape to the strange action of the demon.

The demon reaches the peak of its jump, noted somewhat near a platform overlooking the courtyard on the other side, up where a doorway is concealed by a wall of thick, magical, white fog. The demon's wings stop fluttering, and the demon speeds towards the ground, hammer and buttock first. A shockwave of force spills out from the point of impact, an explosion of air and gravity pulses from the area, pots smash against the walls and floors dramatically.
The demon hopes that this unique attack is enough to put some crowd control into action, before it is too late. Tiny undead villians! Tiny undead PANCAKES? That's better!

The demon is performing a great leap upwards, so those in melee may attempt an AoO with their next action for free.

Because of the attack, the demon is going to roll attacks individually against those in melee range (but at a -4 penalty, due to wind-up). Consider it one attack, but an area one.

Edit: Rolls on next comment, forum didn't like my editing it seems.

Wiz0rd
2015-02-26, 09:27 AM
Attack:
[roll0] against Cypher
[roll1] against Baldar
[roll2] against William
[roll3] against Brodin

Damage:
[roll4] against Cypher
[roll5] against Baldar
[roll6] against William
[roll7] against Brodin

Critical?
[roll8] for x2 damage.

Argentum
2015-02-26, 10:01 AM
We're doing this, Argel thought in disbelief, while the demon didn't seem too slowed by their flurry of attacks, it wasn't having much luck dispatching its enemies either. He had thought that their best hope was for him to distract the beast with his wall-walking capabilities to help avoid its attacks while the rest went in search for better weapons, but that they could defeat the guardian of the asylum with mere bones as improvised weapons was something that had never crossed his mind.

Invigorated by their successes thus far, Argel prepared to fire another ball of flames at the beast, only for his glowing red eyes to widen as the demon makes a great leap, tiny wings batting furiously to keep it aloft. Dread fills the warlock as he sees the beast raise its great hammer and slams it in the general area of his comrades with its descent.

"Foul beast! You shall perish!" Argel yells as a shockwave of pure force is generated by its impact, wasting no time, he quickly lobs another ball of purplish flames at the demon, cursing himself for not being able to draw more power.

Attack Roll: [roll0] (+2 ranged attack, +1 Point Blank Shot, +1 Inspiration from Bonfire)
Damage Roll: [roll1] (+1 Point Blank Shot)

Edit: Oops, I forgot the +1 to Attack and Damage from the Bardic Inspire Courage that Ciaran gave us. Add +1 to the results of both rolls please.

Sephir
2015-02-26, 11:38 AM
Barely avoiding the shockwave, Cypher smashes the bone with all his might aghainst the demon, and another one after the beast landed. THey were actually doing this. It would seem their chances are not as bad as they seemed.

Attack of Opportunity [roll0]+4 from str+1 from Bab+ 2 From flanking +1 from bonfire+ 1 from singing
damage [roll1]
Critical confirmation damage [roll2]
bonus damage [roll3]

Delayed action: Attack the demon [roll4]
damage [roll5]
Critical confirmation damage [roll6]
bonus damage [roll7]

XIII
2015-02-26, 02:12 PM
"No better way to die, I suppose! I won't be shown up!" Inga rushes into the room hoping to do some good, searching for an improvised weapon on her way in to join the fight!

Wiz0rd
2015-02-26, 04:52 PM
Inga, in her unique Catarinian onion armor charges through the double doors to aid her allies and to claim her own piece of the glory and bragging rights. Rushing past the large wooden obstacle to enter the fray, she ungraciously bounces off one of the doors on the way through with an audible crack. One glimpse back reveals a heavy plank loosened from its bindings. The item requiring two hands to wield but may aid in combat nonetheless.

+Inga's Dex Modifier for her Initiative roll.

The plank is something you aquire from entering the room 1d6 x2 simple weapon, go nuts.
You still retain the charge for this turn should you want it / roll your attack in a post.

Alihandros
2015-02-26, 07:41 PM
Seeing the figure within the light, and remembering the glimpse he had of light before the corpse dropped down into their cell, Klaus will try to call to the figure there.

"Hello in there, are you alright?"

While awaiting a response from the figure, he will rummage his pack to try and find one of his scrolls.

Grabbing one of the scrolls of Daze

Wiz0rd
2015-02-27, 02:07 AM
"...Uugggh... Yes? Is someone there?"

You hear a faint voice from the other side, weakly.
Clearly there is someone or something in there, but the stone walls are impeding any attempt at a full conversation.

You search and scrabble through the remains of your tatterred backpack to find the scroll you were looking for. Daze, written out in the finest caligraphy, on torn and ancient paper.

drageir
2015-02-27, 02:22 AM
Baldar kept light on his feet, choosing sure footing between broken cobblestones and pots. He slammed the beast once again with his makeshift bone. The beast roared and took towards the sky, but Baldar saw an opening! "Perish you foul demon!" the tall man shouted and put all his might behind another attack.

Actions:
Second attack: Attack of Opportunity

Normal attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Attack of Opportunity:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Critical Roll if needed:
[roll4]
[roll5]

Hit modifiers:

Damage modifiers:

The demon flew high before coming slamming down, a shockwave of air almost pushing Baldar of his feet, but his balance stayed true and he avoided most of the attack. Taking a frantic look around his surroundings, he makes a quick examination of his companions well being.

Wiz0rd
2015-02-27, 03:13 PM
As had been stated before, the flurry of courageous strikes and attacks from the slap-dash team were succeeding, blow after blow landing on their target painfully.

With a look of sheer suprise locked on the demon's face, Baldars' final blow was strong enough to sufficently damage the spinal column to cause an unsightly dislocation of bone and flesh. The demon roars quickly, loudly, a frustrated death cry unleashed.

The huge beast locks its legs and falls backwards clumsily. It does not reach the ground with the thud one would expect. While it fell, dying, the beast dissolved into thousands of tiny white particles that swirled into the air and searched out for the undead victors. The feeling of the unusual particles against your tarnished skin feels tingly and pleasant.

Silence and smashed pottery now lay in the large courtyard, peace returned. Where the demon stood, a small ball, a physical sprite of light swirls - beckoning the touch of the undead.

For a moment, each of you look to each other, some wear feindish grins, others wear exhaustion on their faces but one thing is certain - this truly is a time of change.

Congratulations! You clubbed the demon to death!
You each gain enough souls to ascend to level 2, which you can do at a bonfire. Plus a few spare souls, I'll work out the specific numericals in the OoC soon.
The light swirl is your loot!

Alihandros
2015-02-28, 12:35 PM
"Aye, I am here, can you tell me who you are? And why you are imprisoned in this Asylum? I'm looking for a way out and weapons to help my fellows fight a monstrosity that has beset them. If you help me it would be much appreciated."

Wiz0rd
2015-02-28, 01:55 PM
"...I'm sorry, I cannot hear you well. It appears I am trapped. ...

I cannot yell for long, I fear I am slain. ..."
Klaus heres these quiet utterances emerge from the cracks in the wall.

drageir
2015-03-01, 05:23 AM
Panting heavily after the battle, leaning his arms on his knees Baldar breaks into laughter. They had actually done it! He looked at his companions, how powerful they all were and he praised the stars that he had company.

Eying the glowing orb with increasing curiosity, Baldar approaches it with careful steps and touches it gently.

Wiz0rd
2015-03-01, 05:53 AM
Upon touching the light, it manifests itself as these items upon the ground for you to manipulate.

-An appropriately sized Demon Great Hammer, identical to the one the demon was wielding during the battle. It is made of darkened and hardened bone, and is non-magical in nature, but of demon origin.

- A large key on a necklace labelled "Big Pilgrim's Key"

- 8 individual sprites of humanity, distinct in their black and white coloring, similar to a constantly swirling ying-and-yang.

1d12 x3 Blugeoning, Requires two hands to wield, Demon weapon, +2 to Sunder Objects checks. Martial Weapon.

Argentum
2015-03-01, 06:07 AM
Argel walked down from the wall with a grin, watching as his companion reached for the white sprite to claim whatever was left behind by the demon. It was several things, to his surprise, a miniature version of its great hammer, though still large by normal standards, a key and several sprites of swirling black and white matter.

"We should go after the rest of our companions, they may have found others still retaining their sanity."

Alihandros
2015-03-01, 11:06 AM
Upon hearing that the being was slain, Klaus will try his best to get into the room, and quickly and safely as possible.

"Hold on, don't die yet."

As he is taring at the wall, Klaus will look into the room again.

Sir_Toast
2015-03-01, 02:00 PM
Panting with the exertion, William managed to reply to Argel, "Agreed, good sir knight. Perhaps we should take one of these sprites for each of us?"

Wiz0rd
2015-03-01, 06:55 PM
Klaus tears and scrabbles at the wall, and succeeds in loosing a few individual bricks. The shining figure falls quiet and unmoving in the piercing light beyond. You suspect that the wall would come down quickly via two ways, a vast amount of force, or using the right tool - like a pick for example.

Sephir
2015-03-02, 01:19 AM
Moving with exhastion vlear in his cracked bones, Cypher sheathes his improvised weapon. Good fight, all of you helped a lot. THe original plan was that i charged to keep him busy while you run for it, but i do not complain. We defeated an Izalith spawn with little more that stones and bones, and the will of good men. I doubt the Asylum would have something more challenging for us. . That being said, i say we do not risk it. All of us who are wounded should rest to the bonfire. He then looked a the white and black spites, as well as the huge hammer. Enormous weapons are not my style. Baldar, i think you are gong to get the most of use out of it, judging by your tactics in the fight. Anyone knows anything about hose sprites and whate they do ?

drageir
2015-03-02, 05:41 AM
"There were 8 of these strange sprites, please, everyone take one," Baldar says and holds them out for the party to take."The hammer," he continues "While I could use it I am getting a lot done with just this simple bone. If anyone else wants to take it, please do so."

After having shared the items, Baldar shares another smile with the group and returns to the bonfire. He casts True Strike and then he rests. When he wakes he feels considerably stronger!

Baldar uses his souls to level up, gaining another level in Duskblade. [roll0]

Argentum
2015-03-02, 09:07 AM
He accepted the black and white sprites from Baldar, not sparing a glance at the oversized hammer, it was a devastating weapon, he imagined, but certainly not for his hands. Argel was far more suited to staying behind and firing his blasts than charging at the enemy with a weapon in his hands.

He sat down slowly at the bonfire, adrenaline from the battle having worn off. Argel allowed himself to savor the soothing feeling that radiated from the bonfire for only a moment, standing back up and feeling stronger than before.

Argel uses his souls to level up as well, another level in Warlock.

*Prays that the dice gods won't forsake him*

HP roll: [roll0]

Sir_Toast
2015-03-02, 03:02 PM
With a shrug to the hammer, William replied, "It would seem my hands are more than capable. I'll take one one of these however. See you all at the bonfire."

Resting at the bonfire, William felt his wounds heal and his strength return, greater than before.

Wiz0rd
2015-03-02, 03:31 PM
The moment Baldar finds a comfortable spot by the fire, everyone's vision blurrs just momentarily.
The bonfire's warmth reaches over you, restoring your spells and tending your wounds. You receive the feeling of gratitude when you think to spend your captured souls, and a new level of power and strength is granted to you, yet you sense this is only the beginning to your pursuit of power.

XIII
2015-03-03, 12:12 PM
"If only it had dropped a spear, my weapon of choice on the battlefield. I apologize for my late arrival, I had thought the battle lost. Obviously I underestimated our strength." She stares at the sliver of humanity, unsure how to feel about such a thing.

DukeGod
2015-03-03, 06:05 PM
"We undead can accomplish some pretty amazing things when we work together"

Lysandra feels her power growing...And then notices how...small compared to what she could still get it was. This was truly only the beginning. Lordran was a big place

Alihandros
2015-03-03, 06:23 PM
"I will be back, I promise...."

With that Klaus sets off down the hall again, keeping an eye out for anything or one that may help him, as well as an eye out for danger.

Wiz0rd
2015-03-04, 05:05 AM
Klaus turns sadly away from the trapped conversationalist and heads towards the well lit and tended corridor. It is remarkably clean in comparision to the filth you experienced for the time in your cell.

Stepping forward carefully, the hallway decends down via a small stairwell, going straight for about half of a floor, more of note however - is the hollow undead within view. The undead is growling, bow in hand and arrow knocked, but curiously, not aiming towards you. It is aiming down the presumed corridor to some unknown target. At the hollows' feet lay a ball of swirling light, your keen mind identifying them as multiverse item(s) immediately.

Upon this sight you step back out of sight, armed and prepared with this new knowledge. Klaus silently considers his next move.

Wiz0rd
2015-03-06, 05:44 AM
The silence and peace of the bonfire courtyard us seldomn interrupted by the pleasant and respectful chatter of the companions enjoying the fire. For those who returned to the courtyard at the correct time, they would have heard Klaus call to the entity in the wall, but this communication and sound has now stopped.

Gentle flakes so snow continue to drop, but it does not settle, nor wet the ground beneath your feet.

Bump.
Actions please, gentleman and gentle-ladies.

drageir
2015-03-06, 06:59 AM
Baldar looked at the others as he grabbed both hands firmly around the powerful hammer. Baldars eyes had a certain cautious excitement about him. Not waiting long enough for someone to comment his appearance, he said “We should look for Klaus, he may be in trouble,” and set forth towards the stairwell, walking meticulously, eyes peeled for any danger.

As Baldar walked up the stairs he shook his head in disbelief. Demons! I’ll be damned, real live demons! Like something out of a bards story!. The hammer in his hands felt heavy, it’s balance strange in his hands. It made him feel odd, he must look like a real warrior. Angrily he berated himself. Who cares how I look?! This is not the time, nor the place for daydream adventures! This is reality, you’re an adult, start acting like one! His heart was still pounding as he reached the top of the first set of stairs.

If Baldar doesn’t see Klaus he will continue up the second set of stairs, hoping for some sort of vantage point to find Klaus again.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Also - If someone wants to have the Bone, Baldar will give it to them

Argentum
2015-03-06, 07:32 AM
Argel nodded in agreement, "I doubt that there will be any threats larger than that demon, but some of the other hollows in this asylum may have gone berserk." He quietly invokes the power of Spiderwalk as he follows behind Baldar.

Reaching the top of the first set of stairs, Argel looks around in search of Klaus.

Search Roll: [roll0]
Spot Roll: [roll1]
Listen Roll: [roll2]

DukeGod
2015-03-06, 07:19 PM
"Well, he hasn't died. I believe he'd reapper here in the bonfire he did die"

At least that's how it worked she adds in her thoughts, but stands up and makes her way with the others aniway

Lysandra prepares
0 Level (Orisons): Flare, Mending, Light, Resistance
1st Level: Cure Light Wounds(x2), Magic Fang

Also rolling Spot and Listen, since Search sucks

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Sir_Toast
2015-03-06, 07:22 PM
"Hmmm, our inquisitive friend could indeed require our aid. And whatever one of these little things are."

With that, the former sorcerer took off after Argel.

Power again! I could feel it, just out of reach...

Wiz0rd
2015-03-07, 11:21 AM
A small contingent of our focused adventurers follow in the footsteps of their Artificer explorer. You each experience much the same as described before, the same sights and options. You witness Klaus shortly along a well lit corridor, pressed against the wall stealthily, deep in thought.

Baldar, your caution upon the other set of stairs is rewarded by a glimpse of an umoving sphere of pig-iron. It is perched perilously and silently at the top of the stairs, it's presence shrouded in darkness. It is clearly a very deadly trap.
Standing near the first series of stairs you get a generally uncomfortable feeling, being in the firing line of this stair-powered cannonball, though it appears whatever springs the trap has not yet sprung.

Your actions are your own.

Argentum
2015-03-07, 11:43 AM
Catching sight of Klaus, Argel very nearly called out to the artificer to announce the demon's defeat, when he noticed the undead's stealthy posture. Cautiously, he made his way towards his sneaking companion, stopping short of melee range in case he surprised the artificer.

"We have defeated the demon, is there another threat here?" Argel questioned, hoping that he did not speak loudly enough to alert whatever it was that had his companion pressing himself against a wall.

Sephir
2015-03-09, 02:26 PM
Seeing the other searching for the entrance above, Cypher decides to investigate the portcullis door in the room he fought the demon, slowly entering the corridor, bone at the ready.

spot [roll0]
[roll1] Search
[roll2] Listen

Wiz0rd
2015-03-09, 08:14 PM
Cypher cautiously decends down the stairwell leading shortly off the portcullis, from the demon's lair. Very promptly, he is met with an apparent empty room.

A room very much mirroring the other room on the other side of the aslyum, the room with all the guttering and flowing, clean and clear water. Perhaps this too is a natural well, one that aided in sustaining the institution before? No matter, that was a time long past.

Rather than witnessing a psuedo-drowning hollow, you bear witness to a different marvel...

Another bonfire.

drageir
2015-03-10, 07:08 AM
Montioning for the rest of the group to stay back, Baldar grabs whatever rocks he can find somewhat suitable for throwing and starts chugging them towards the hollow behind the intimidating boulder.

Baldar will keep throwing until either of the following things happen:
1) the hollow attacks
2) the hollow sends the boulder down
3) the hollow runs away
4) 2 minutes passes without Baldar hitting the hollow

Modifiers for rocks:

Normal hit modifier: +3
Rocks are improvised: -4
Inspired by bonfire still?: +1

[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]

Wiz0rd
2015-03-10, 02:14 PM
The stillness of the upper landing is disturbed by the shuffling of the victorious group. Baldar, cautious of this new threat, ushers his allies to saftey, quietly.

Finding loose pebbles, bits of mortar and half-bricks, Baldar collects a small arsenal of improvised missles. His target was the hollow that he suspected was laying in wait above the second stairwell.

In Baldar's first attempt, the pelted rock clattered harmlessly behind his target, but succeeded in his desired effect.

"Urragh!" The warcry sounds as the iron-work boulder screams down the stairwell, brushing past Baldar who stands just out of harms reach.

The wall, on the hand, has a different fate. The cannon ball tears through the stone wall, and bounces around the newly discovered wall-space before resting in a corner. Bricks litter the entrance as the building settles once again.

Two piercing white eyes stare down from the staircase, unmoving.

Sir_Toast
2015-03-10, 06:10 PM
William whisper to Baldar, "Good work with the rocks there. Would've been a nasty experience getting with that thing. Shall we see what lies on the other side?"

Sephir
2015-03-10, 06:56 PM
Warily approaching the bonfire, Cypher touches it as he had done before , waiting for it to be lit.

drageir
2015-03-11, 07:25 AM
William whisper to Baldar, "Good work with the rocks there. Would've been a nasty experience getting with that thing. Shall we see what lies on the other side?"

Baldar nodded in agreement while warily eyeing the creature on top of the stairs. Grabbing the hammer firmly, Baldar backs into the room together with William.

Wiz0rd
2015-03-11, 11:00 AM
Cypher, you stand inspecting the new bonfire situated before you. For a bonfire, a place of great warmth and heat, it is decidedly damp, most likely due to the watery nature of the room in which you find it. Gently offer a hand to the bonfire, the bonfire senses you as well and bursts into a small, warm flame at the base of the sword, cooling as it rises. With the bonfire lit, it is possible to understand why the bonfire may be set here, with the crystalline running waters, it would have made a perfect bath-house in a time before. As you rested just prior to reaching this new discovery, it is unlikely that your bones and flesh ache with the fatigue of travel and adventuring, but resting is always an option with a bonfire.
To the left of you lies another stone archway leading to a slight upward slope. Torchlight can be seen emanating from within.

The group of wary adventurers either watch, listen or walk into the newly discovered wall-space, created by the wrecking ball trap that was discovered by Baldar and his allies. William of Vinheim and Baldar, the demon-mace wielding duskblader enter the room. Within a moment, your eyes adjust to the darkness and the piercing light. The room is plain brick, and a small layer of rain-water lies on the ground. The shining figure within that was spotted by Klaus earlier is infact a well-equipped and armored knight, now laying uncomfortably on a pile of debris, the light that shines is that of a large hole in the roof allowing for direct sunlight to pierce through the darkness. The knight's sword lays just out of reach.

"You." The figure turns, his voice young and male. "You're not hollow, are you?"
His voice weak by the influence of his wounds.

drageir
2015-03-12, 02:46 AM
"I do not believe so..." Baldar answered, still eyeing the white eyes on the staircase. "No, we are not," he said again, more sure of himself this time. His confidence grew with each word. This was a living soul, someone outside this group! Perhaps he could help them escape, he must know, surely he must! "What are you doing here? How did you get inside these walls? Do you know a way out of here?" Baldar said, failing to mask his excitement.

Wiz0rd
2015-03-12, 07:07 PM
"I do, but first, do you have a healer? I fear I am not long for this world."

drageir
2015-03-13, 02:55 AM
"We do... we have a Druid, she might still be at the bonfire. I will run after her, William, please stay with this man," Baldar says and runs back down the stairs looking for Lysandra.

Sephir
2015-03-13, 07:08 AM
Cypher warily moves towards the path in front of him, careful of any ambushes or enemies in the front.

spot [roll0]
listen[roll1]
ready action:Charge anything that seems hostile.

UristMcRandom
2015-03-13, 06:16 PM
Ciaran had started behind the group that was moving to follow Klaus, and met Baldar at the base of the stairs, "What's the rush? Is everything alright ahead?"

Sir_Toast
2015-03-13, 08:46 PM
William looked at the fallen warrior.

"Bear with us, please. We've only recently regained our freedom. We'll do everything in our power to help you through this."

Argentum
2015-03-14, 12:13 PM
Hearing the loud crashing sound, Argel turned and rushed to the scene, bearing witness to Baldar rushing down the stairs and to the bonfire. Looking at the crack in the wall, he warily walked in, blinking as he catches sight of the wounded knight and his other companion apologizing to the laying figure.

"Is he hurt? Perhaps we could move him to the bonfire and have him recover with its powers." Argel suggested, walking closer to the wounded knight.

Wiz0rd
2015-03-14, 12:26 PM
Cypher, as you warily appear around the corner, you hear the unmistakable sound of a arrow being loosed from a bow, a familiar twang echoing down the hallway.

Arrow in flight, you can observe the well-kept and maintained corridor that appears to be occupied by a distant brown figure, armed and hostile. The corridor is lined with the remains of several open doors, browned heavily by rust. The rooms inside are darkened, but what lies within is out of your perspective.

Hollow Shortbow Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Initiative [roll2]
Charging is a full round action, so you can't combine it with moving to the corridor from the bonfire. Initative please.

Meanwhile in the crawlspace:
The fallen knight coughs and splutters, his hand and arm shakes as he feebly places it on his breastplate.
"You. Did. Did you fight the demon?"

Sir_Toast
2015-03-14, 02:58 PM
William glanced back at Argel: "He's definitely wounded, and heavily. He needs healing desperately before we even think about moving him."

Returning his attention to the fallen knight, "We killed the demon. One of us is wielding its hammer right now actually. Can you recover if we get you to a bonfire?"

Wiz0rd
2015-03-14, 06:01 PM
"Uuugh. I cannot move, nor do I think that I could survive the lift...

No, my time is short.

I am Oscar of Astora.

Would you grant a fellow undead a final request? Will you hear my final tale?"

Argentum
2015-03-14, 07:14 PM
He winces at the knight's, Oscar's, cynical hopes for his own survival. One of their companions was a druid, surely she was capable of performing some minor healing to sustain Oscar on the trip to the bonfire. At least Argel thought that she would be capable of such a thing.

"Of course we would," Argel answered. It would certainly be nice to know how the knight got into such a sorry state.

Wiz0rd
2015-03-15, 09:59 AM
"Good man." Oscar took a deep, pained breath.

"I sought the aslyum to bring upon a great change to the realm of Lordran. I hath freed the undead within, though I have failed myself. Perhaps you. Yes- perhaps you may keep the torch lit.

There is an old saying in my family…

…Thou who art Undead, art chosen…

…In thine exodus from the Undead Asylum, maketh pilgrimage to the land of Ancient Lords…

…When thou ringeth the Bell of Awakening, the fate of the Undead thou shalt know.

…Well, now you know… And I can die with hope in my heart

He pauses and looks to the hazy pair in the doorway to the wider world, allowing their response.

DukeGod
2015-03-15, 12:25 PM
Baldar nearly runs into Lysandra, as she herself was starting to go up the stairs

THankfully, all that happened was that he got some barks from Brodin

UristMcRandom
2015-03-15, 10:01 PM
As Lysandra arrives, Ciaran's growing impatience with Baldar comes to a head, and he pushes past them both, heading up the stairs with a grunt. Entering the room right as the fallen warrior finished his tale, he looks questioningly at the faces of his fellow undead, "What's the trouble? That other fellow just about tackled myself and the druid on the stairs," he glanced at the knight, "Who's this?"

Argentum
2015-03-16, 01:34 AM
Argel winces at Ciaran's irate demeanor, "A fellow undead, injured and dying. Get the Druid in here, he must be healed."

How troublesome,Argel mused. The knight doubted his chances at surviving the trip to the bonfire, leaving their only hope at saving him in the Druid's ability to stabilize him.

Sephir
2015-03-16, 02:42 AM
Cypher barely dodged the arrow that passed an inch aboved his skull You are boned now! He screamed to the archer as he charged

Initiative [roll[1d20+3[/roll]
Charge at the archer
attack [roll] 1d20+9[roll] (+2 BAB +4 STR +2 Charge+1 bonfire)
damage [roll0] (bone in 2 hands)
If not in reach for a charge, he runs into the side room.

drageir
2015-03-16, 04:30 AM
Baldar nearly runs into Lysandra, as she herself was starting to go up the stairs

THankfully, all that happened was that he got some barks from Brodin

Flustered by the wolf, Baldar quickly, if somewhat stuttering, that there is a man in dire need of healing atop the staircase. "Come, I will show you!" he exclaims and runs back towards the dying knight without checking if Lysandra follows him.

UristMcRandom
2015-03-16, 03:04 PM
Ciaran looked at the knight again, then back to the Warlock, "No need to trouble the Druid. As loathe as I am to use my own resources..." he said, kneeling down in front of the knight, rubbing his hands together and chanting an incantation, then pressing his hands lightly onto the knight's forehead.

Cast Cure Light Wounds, CL 2: [roll0].
That's my only 1st-level spell until we can get to a Bonfire.

Wiz0rd
2015-03-17, 05:36 PM
Sephir, you charge forward on the relatively gentle incline, your legs carry you at a ferocious speed. The kind of stride that is filled with careful purpouse a malice. With your boney war-cry, you slam your weapon into the Hollow before they manage to fire off their bow. There is a dull thudding sound as the blow makes a vicious chop towards their leading shoulder and upper torso.

"Weeh." The hollow replies, petulantly. As they withdraw from an additional attack by running up a small stairwell to it's left, up and out of sight.

---

The incantation of Ciaran, the enigmatic bard, produces a slight glow upon the forehead of Oscar, the fallen knight. A number of seconds pass, and the magic held within Ciaran produces a low volume, yet distinctly musical effect. The magic passes, and Oscar uses his free hand to lift his visor to reveal his Undead face to look directly at Ciaran nearby.

"Thank you. You've... You've saved my life. Or what remains of it. I had lost hope. I thought that this would be the end of my story." Oscar coughs, splutters and shakes as he tries to regain his footing and stand.

"I want you to have something. A gift. Please, take this. It's an Undead favorite." He bends down to open the pack he was carrying. He gives Ciaran a porcelain flask, colored in an unearthly grey.

"It's an Estus Flask, it will restore you to good health." He lifts up another flask, and tips it upside down to reveal only a solitary golden drop. "As you can see, I have long since run out."

"Did I hear someone mention the bonfires? Is it really true? Have they been lit?"

Sir_Toast
2015-03-17, 05:41 PM
William offers the knight an arm to try and stabilize him and answers, "Well, I don't know if all of them have been lit, but we've got one just down the way here. You should rest a while, regain your strength and senses."

Wiz0rd
2015-03-17, 06:29 PM
"Thank you gentleman. Yes, I will rest."
He says as he sits on a pile of bricks, visibly much more comfortable. He sits there for a moment, sword sheathed, hand on chin, visor down.

"Say, undead fellows. Would you permit me to join you for a while, I wish to see your tenacity for myself."

Sephir
2015-03-17, 07:16 PM
Oh no you don't! Cypher roared as he moved forward, following up the skeleton as h took a turn and found him waiting. Quickly, he took another shot at him with his bone before he could muster a counter attack with his bow.

[roll0]
damage [roll1]

Wiz0rd
2015-03-17, 07:35 PM
The hollow is victim to another sickening crack and falls in a heap to an unmoving, unspeaking heap on the floor. Bow, arms and legs thrown akimbo.

It is possible to see and hear your party team members through the stone archway ahead of you. The archways leads to an open air landing of sorts you have yet to discover, but it is possible to percieve the relative safety of the area ahead.

Sephir
2015-03-17, 07:52 PM
Warily , Cypher takes the bow from the hollow's dead arms, before venturing back before. His companions did not seems to be in danger, and he wanted to expore that room he missed while he charged the archer

[roll0]

drageir
2015-03-18, 05:30 AM
Baldar comes running into the room as William helps the wounded knight up. Relieved that Oscar was still alive, Baldar aids William in supporting him and together they slowly made their way back to the bonfire.

Argentum
2015-03-18, 05:53 AM
Argel marveled wordlessly as Ciaran healed the knight, surprise robbing him of the ability to do anything but gawk. To think that he had shared a cell with so many talented and brave individuals for such a long time.

"I would have no problem with you accompanying us, Sir Oscar." He answered. The more the merrier right? Argel had little goal beyond escaping his confinement and enjoying freedom, preferably with his new found companions, he had no issue with yet another undead joining them. Besides, the prophecy that Oscar recited earlier intrigued him.

Sir_Toast
2015-03-18, 08:15 PM
Hefting the wounded knight out of the alcove, William interjected, "Another sword would be useful on this journey. Speaking of others, where did our good friend Cypher go? I don't see Inga or Klaus either. Would hate to see them go hollow."

Wiz0rd
2015-03-19, 08:52 AM
Chypher, you discover that the well kept corridor here in the Asylum is unlike the prision cells from where once you came. These barred doors were not for prisioners it seems, as inside the darkenered rooms lay a series of thick, sturdy wooden tables, racks and leather bags underneath. Eyes widen as it is clear what this furniture is for.

This area is the old armory and stores for the aslyum, it is the kept personal effects of the inmates, visitors and guard though now that fact is redundant as the aslyum has appeared to be fallen for some time now. All of the weapons you spot are in good condition, free from the serious effects of rust. You reckon that if you spent some time searching, you would be able to find your equipment, or even more if you felt inclined to carry it.

---

"You have good hearts, I find myself in good company; gods be praised." He took the supportive arms of William and Baldar appreciatively and listened to the words of the small group thoughtfully. Each step was heavy and labored thanks to his now non-lifethreatening injuries and his impressive armor.

"Ah that is good news indeed. I trust you were the ones who re-kindled the flame? There is much hope for Lordran yet."

"I see there is a small gathering of you. Allow me to pray at the bonfire and I shall aid you in your search. The Asluym is a dangerous place. I will do what I can, I owe you this much."

Sephir
2015-03-19, 09:31 AM
Content , Cypher exits the room, following the paths he hard his comapnions, only to see them to the courtyard with a new face . "My freinds ! I have located the Asylum's Armory! I beleive our weapons will b located here! Follow me, but who is this new face ? A rescued knight ? "

Wiz0rd
2015-03-19, 09:58 AM
"Greetings Warrior. Indeed, I am Oscar of Astora. Who may you be?"

DukeGod
2015-03-19, 10:11 AM
"Really? Excellent. We may yet see our leave from this Asylum them!"

drageir
2015-03-20, 02:22 AM
Baldar gave a content nod as well, but gestured that they should get Oscar to the bonfire before they proceeded to equip themselves.

Wiz0rd
2015-03-20, 04:53 AM
"Yes ally, the bonfire I would appreciate. I hear their healing powers are legendary. I am ready to move on, if you are friends."

Sephir
2015-03-20, 09:31 AM
"I am -or rather was- Sir Cypher, Knight commander of the Silver Knights, Eleventh Company " THe skeleton Annouces proudly "Glad to hear Astora is holding up and has not fallen to the curse, it was just a small barony at my time. Apologies comrade, but i need to find my swords and shield, i just not feel complete without them. ". He returns to the armory, to find two large silver blades , the signature weapon of the Knights, along with a gleaming metallic shield reiforced with Ash Bark . He was quite worried they would have been looted, given they were pricless artifacts from a different time .

[roll0]
Taking twenty for all effects and purposes if this roll is unsuccessful

Wiz0rd
2015-03-20, 06:43 PM
"Greetings Fallen Knight. Pray, go an reclaim your possessions, I will speak once you return..."

He sits by the bonfire recovering as Cypher returns with his long lost equipment.

"Yes, Astora was alive and well when I left, though the undead are not treated well. In any case, it lays me with heavy heart to tell you this - the Siver Knights of Gwyn have fallen. They are lost and hollow, they are mostly just the Black Knights now, and will attack all on sight, though their ferocity remain."
He looks to Cypher with great sympathy.

DukeGod
2015-03-20, 07:28 PM
Seeing the wounded knight now resting at the bonfire. Lysandra too goes to reclaim her equipment.

Thankfully, her weapon should be easy to find

I'll just take 20 nevermind the roll

UristMcRandom
2015-03-20, 10:48 PM
Ciaran took the flask, nodding to the warrior and rising to his feet. He followed the party back to the bonfire, pausing to restore his energy. When he heard that Cypher had found the armory, he headed in the indicated direction to claim his equipment.

Search check: Taking 20

Argentum
2015-03-21, 12:23 AM
As a warlock, weapons did not appeal to Argel as much as it did for his other companions, but he followed them to the armory anyway. With no martial training at all, Argel wisely chose a simple spiked mace to bring with him, a morningstar if his memory served him correctly.

Search: Take 20

Wiz0rd
2015-03-21, 04:54 AM
The armory visits serve you well, there are not threats or even sounds that interrupt your search except the same scrabbling of your allies. You have bery little trouble recovering your gear. For some, it is a reunion most dearly beloved.

Sir_Toast
2015-03-22, 12:08 PM
Finding a pair of caestus, William thought to himself: I wonder what I can do with these?

Sephir
2015-03-22, 01:52 PM
Returning to the bonfire armed, Cypher questions the knight . "What do you mean sir Oscar ? The Silver Knights are all gone ? This is terrible news. Without them Anor Londo has probably fallen or closed it's gates . How are the vassal kingdoms doing ? What of New Londo and Ooacile ?

drageir
2015-03-23, 09:03 AM
Baldar grasped his Guisarme happily, it felt familiar in his hands, like a companion long lost, but now found again. He cut off part of the rope he carried and made a brace for the giant hammer, fastening it with relative comfort to his back.

With his weapon firm in his hands and his confidence renewed he gestured towards the staircase “Do you want to explore the top of the stairs with me?”. Baldar asked somewhat nervously, still not used to the very real danger they’ve ended up in.

With that he started up the stairs, measuring the hollows aggression carefully.

If possible, Baldar readies an attack when/if the hollow decides to charge down the stairs. If Baldar is able to get close enough to charge/move-attack the hollow he’ll do so instead

Knowledge Devotion: [roll0]

[roll1]
for
[roll2] damage.
Add 1 to each roll for Knowledge Devotion

Argentum
2015-03-23, 11:34 PM
"I shall accompany you." Argel answered, following behind the newly armed Baldar. The warlock found himself examining the man curiously, Baldar had abandoned the demon's great hammer in favor of a sleeker, more agile weapon that he could not name. Perhaps this was why he had offered to let another undead wield the mighty weapon.

When they reach the staircase, Argel prepares another ball of purplish flame in his hand, ready to fire it should the hollow charge at them or if Baldar initiated combat with it.

Ready Action: Eldritch Blast (Fire when hollow or Baldar attacks)
Damage Roll: [roll1]

EDIT: Add +1 to Attack Roll for the bonfire's inspiration boost, not that it matters. :smallfrown:

Wiz0rd
2015-03-25, 04:04 PM
OOC #268 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19011758&postcount=268)

Oscar nods to Cypher as he approaches the warm welcome of the bonfire courtyard once again, this time hefting impressive weapons.
"Aye, indeed - The Silver Knights are not what they once were." He places a gentle gauntlet on the shoulder of the fellow knight, "Though I cannot speak for all of the Silver Knights, perhaps there are few who remain true to the old ways. As for Anor Londo, I cannot say, for I have not been there for some time. The passage is blocked, the gates are closed." He turns away, his visor reflecting the little sunlight that hits the courtyard, "Oolacile is lost, an arcane word lost to the violence of history. Some say it is possible to travel there from Lordran, though I cannot say for certain, my travels have not ventured there. New Londo is also lost, flooded to contain a tremendous evil, and a site of a great genocide, only the courageous or the foolish brave the ruins and few return."

Oscar's attention was drawn to Baldar who hefted a glaive and proceeded to gesture to the group about exploring the asylum.
"I shall join you. I fear that many of the residents whom I released may have fared worse over the years than yourself. Come now, I have the key to the remaining doors. Let us finish what we began, shall we?"

---

The undead does not move. The hollow locks its eyes and grows ferociously at the advancing and large man on it's territory, like a personified guard dog. It's weapon raised in triumphant rebellion to the aggressors seeking to annex the area. Undoubtedly, combat is about to begin, there is no surprise to this.

Initiative:
Stairs Hollow: [roll0]
Baldar: [roll1]
Argel: [roll2]
Oscar: [roll3]

Wiz0rd
2015-03-25, 04:12 PM
From it's advantaged position, the Hollow falls over itself at the first opportunity to strike out and lunge at the trespassers. With wild swinging, the browning, decaying, stinking figure falls upon Baldar, the leader of the trope walking up the stairs.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] One-handed Short-Sword

Baldar and Argel respond instantly to this offense with considered, practiced, patient attacks. Argel's eldritch blast coursing just stray of the Hollow's ear, and leaving a smoulder on the stairwell.
"Ha! The stairs will think twice before crossing you again, mage!" Oscar guffawed in good jest behind the figure of Argel.
Baldar meanwhile followed the trace of the short-sword and returned a proficient riposte, with the full force of his body behind the thrust. The hollow goes limp, impaled and swaying on the end of the spear. The hollow is slain.

Oscar slides past, clinking quietly past the grisly pair on the stairs, remarkably unphased by the violence. With a dull thud, the locks of the barred door behind the hollow tumble open, and the door is swung open casually by the pristine knight, who appears to be fully enjoying his new-found health.

"Shall we, gentlemen?"

Edit: Please note, there is a post prior to this on page 7. I had to double post due to dice-rolls.

Argentum
2015-03-27, 01:57 PM
Argel laughed alongside Oscar, "It appears that I fair better against beasts twice the size of this stairwell." Honestly speaking, he had been complacent, so sure of their odds at survival that he barely took the time to aim in the hollow's general direction before letting the blast fire, that would have to be rectified. "Let us be off then, no sense in staying here longer than we must."

Sir_Toast
2015-03-27, 09:09 PM
Running after his new found friends, William shouted: "Where next my friends?"

Wiz0rd
2015-03-29, 08:48 AM
"Certainly. If I'm not mistaken, only the passage here holds any current mystery for us. Shall we?"

He says as he stoops slightly in order to avoid cuffing his helmet on the low, rough-cut passage onwards.
The passage is short, and leads to a remarkable amount of fresh air and sunshine. Oscar turns only once to make certain the small battalion was following in foot.

He walks forward casually. The area appears to be a poorly maintained balcony, overlooking the front door of the asylum. A look-out of sorts to welcome new 'guests' no doubt. The outer-stonework holds a decaying gothic aesthetic, and the view paints a scenery of a stoney outcropping, with countless nameless graves dotted sporadically along the grassy knolls, with a cobbled but well worn path seemingly leading to nowhere. The only other feature of aparent note is the presence of a hollow-man corpse, splayed along the side of the wall casually.

Oscar, casually disregarding the body, stepped towards the balcony inspecting the grounds below carefully.

"Urrragghaa!'
Within a moment he was set upon by a suprise assault!

Arrow attack: [roll0]
Charging grapple check Hollow: [roll1]
Grapple check provokes AoO from Oscar.
[roll2]
Potential damage: [roll3]

Argentum
2015-03-30, 06:29 AM
Argel follows several steps behind Oscar, jumping back slightly when the hollow ambushes the knight. His hand reflexively lights up in purplish flames and he quickly lobs it at the sneaky hollow.

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Wiz0rd
2015-03-30, 06:18 PM
The arrow stuck and bounced harmlessly off Oscar's helm and clattered pitifully on the course stone-clad ground.
While the Hollow's grapple attempt appeared fierce and proficient, Oscar reacted very well, using the momentum of his foe against him and utilizing the pommel of his longsword to good effect to break the grasp of the hollow. It appeared the strike damaged several of the fingers of the poor soul as he shuffled back slightly in preparation of the next attack.
It is clear to everyone that you are under attack, there is no surprise left here.

Argel's reaction serves him well as he sears the chest of the melee hollow with his arcane magics, burning the ribs and sternum of his foe and creating an ugly blackish indent where part of the Torso would traditionally be. Yet, to disbelief, the hollow still stands, yet it would be easy to suggest that if the breeze hit the hollow from the wrong direction that the aggressor would go down in this state.

Oscar Initiative: [roll0]
Hollows: [roll1]
Argel: 9
Will edit in the group as they catch up from the previous room and post their initiative scores.

Sir_Toast
2015-03-30, 10:50 PM
William joins the combat with a strike at the hollow that attempted to grapple Oscar, hoping to finish what Argel started.

Initiative: [roll0] (+1 DEX)
Attack Roll: [roll1] (+3 STR, +1 BAB, +2 Weapon Focus (I think))
Attack Damage: [roll2]

drageir
2015-03-31, 04:44 AM
Slaying the hollow was easy, but after Baldar couldn't break the dead gaze of the creature on the ground. "Are you crazy? What are you doing, wandering around killing? You're a librarian, a family man, not some hero from a story! He tightened the grip around the long weapon, that strange spearlike weapon with a sword on the end. He had practiced with it many times, but he had never thought he would actually use it.

All of a sudden atop the stairs he heard shouts and combat. Shaking off his fear, Baldar ran up and tries to hit the first enemy in sight.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Add 2 to Hit and Damage from Knowledge Devotion:

[roll2]
[roll3]

Wiz0rd
2015-03-31, 04:34 PM
The group of Hollows charge Oscar, being the only person visible from their vantage point, though after their assault, they turn and sneer at the rest of the party with their unhinged and broken jaws.

Grappler, Injured Hollow Attack on Oscar, Shortsword: [roll0]
Archer Hollow Attack on Oscar, Shortbow: [roll1]
Charging Hollow Attack on Oscar, Shortsword: [roll2]
Damage for each: [roll3], [roll4], [roll5]
Critical? Confirmation: [roll6]

Oscar's retaliation attack on the charging, uninjured Hollowman: [roll7]
Damage, Longsword: [roll8]

Your reserved actions will take place after these rolls and damages, in this order:
William of Vinheim,
Argel,
Baldar.

I'll make an IC post with the results of each of your actions.

Wiz0rd
2015-03-31, 04:42 PM
Oscar reels from the charge, almost falling from his sure footing near the edge of the balcony. The short-sword did seldom little damage except grazing the soft leathers of his plate-mail. The hollows, on the other hand fair less well and easily succumb to your less primal, more calculated attacks. The two hollow-men whom engaged in melee are quickly taken from this life and thrown to the ground. They are slain.

In the small distance you hear the unmistakable sound of wood stretching, another arrow knocked. There is another foe remaining.

Bow Hollow Attack: 1d20+1
Bow Hollow Damage: [roll0]
Critical? [roll1]

Oscar Charges! [roll2]
Charging Longsword damage: [roll3]

Your moves, gentlemen.
Edit: William and Baldar, you may charge.
Argel, you must move to gain a new line of sight on your target.

UristMcRandom
2015-03-31, 11:46 PM
Ciaran leans against the entryway, a distinctly disinterested look on his face as he casually thumbs through his journal. He fingers his rapier as he does this, every muscle in his arm tensed.

Ready Action: If any Hollows get within range, attack with the rapier.

Attack Roll: [roll1]
Damage: [roll]1d6+1[roll]
Crit. Confirm: [roll2]
Crit. Damage: [roll]1d6+1[roll]

Sir_Toast
2015-04-01, 12:12 AM
With a rush and an outstretched arm, William charges the hollow and tries for a powerful haymaker.

Attack Roll: [roll0] (+3 STR, +1 BAB, +1 Weapon Focus (I looked it up!), +2 Charge)

Argentum
2015-04-01, 12:52 AM
Hearing the sound of a bow being drawn, Argel quickly walks up the side of the wall, stopping above the odd white mist as he lobs another purplish ball of flames at the hollowed archer.

Move Action: Walk along the wall until above the Fog Gate

drageir
2015-04-01, 01:55 AM
Baldar did not like charging, it was a reckless tactic that opens you up to attacks, but seeing William charging fervently into battle inspires him as well. Shifting his balance to his toe balls Baldar charges the remaining hollow.

[roll0]
Str:4
BAB:2
Knowledge Devotion: 2
Bonfire Inspired: 1
[roll1]
Str:6
Charging: 2

Wiz0rd
2015-04-01, 05:41 AM
The barrage of incoming attacks overwhelm the meager defenses of the poor hollow, each attack successfully landing on their mark. Baldar with particular skill, lands a devastating and ghastly blow to the forehead of the decrepit pitiful thing and bursts the skull apart like a balloon being popped; its ugly viscera slapping and splattering across each of you and the surrounding stone. Headless, the archer hinges its knees, and silently slumps to the floor.

In this battle, you are victorious.

The balcony extends to a stone archway directly across from you, or in the center of the balcony lies a tall wall of brilliant white fog.

UristMcRandom
2015-04-02, 01:33 AM
Ciaran winces as the viscera splatters across his face, closing his eyes and loosening his grip on the rapier to wipe his face on his sleeve, "Impressive strike, but do try not to make such a mess next time, hm?" he groans.

Wiz0rd
2015-04-03, 03:00 PM
"Rather." Oscar adds, mirroring Ciaran.
"The choice is yours gentlemen, the fog gate or the next room across."

Argentum
2015-04-03, 03:09 PM
"The demon jumped from above this fog gate," Argel recalled, "It leads to a platform overlooking the courtyard we fought the beast in and nothing else, we should search the next room."

Sir_Toast
2015-04-03, 03:53 PM
"I agree, Argel. Why go where we've already been, when we could go some place new?"

Walking over to the doorway, William peeked inside.

Wiz0rd
2015-04-04, 06:33 PM
Remaining still for a moment, listening to the words of the befriended mage, he nodded.

"Ah, so the beast is slain. I thank you, the demon was the creature who caused my wounds and threatened my life."
He proceeded to walk to the white gate, and pass through it, it dissapating harmlessly in response. The fog gate opened up to reveal an additional balcony, this one overlooking the potted storage room in which you duelled the aslyum demon recently.

Meanwhile, William skirted the archway with caution and a great proficency for stealth. Just with a quick peek, you spot a larger cell that had been opened from this side. It is a retangular, plain stone room similar to the ones you have previously adventured through.

In the far end, you spot an undead unlike the others you have seen before. It is most certainly hollow, as you can tell by the unique degredation of their features and their characteristic groans. But this foe was equipped with rudimentary armor, an impressive looking shield and worse - a practical, well used longsword. As William peeked, it looked as if it was stretching and shifting it's helmet, no doubt a result of its idleness. It appeared to neither spot or hear you thus far.

Hey guys, sorry about the delay - work has been crazy. Combat here is optional: sneak, let me auto roll or do the combat yourself if you are curious or want the practice?

drageir
2015-04-07, 06:12 AM
Terror still crept on the outer edges of Baldars consciousness as he eyed the enemy, but he focused on his training, on his balance and on his blade.

Eyeing the hollow for weaknesses, Baldar moved carefully forward, attempting a well-aimed strike at the creature's less guarded side.

Move: 30 ft movement, attempting a flank if possible
Standard: Normal attack

[roll0]
Str:4
BAB:2
[roll1]
Str:6
[roll2]
[roll3]

Wiz0rd
2015-04-07, 03:28 PM
Baldar sweeps wide of William, taking upon his stride to take responsibility for combat.
Immediately the Hollow-Warrior becomes aware to your presence and prepares to defend themselves, taking a basic, yet effective stance. The hollow's blade is held high and level, in preparation to strike with a sickening cleave. It's eyes are locked on Baldar's as he approaches in careful, considered, disciplined steps.

The ground is flat, the room echos slightly and the faint whisper of a breeze can be heard whistling in your ears. Your combat focus makes time seem to flow very slowly as step after step, the hollow gets closer into striking range. Just before placing your feet in the ideal positions to strike, the hollow lunges forward with their wide slashing maneuver.

The hollow was not fast enough. Before the blade gained any deadly amount of speed, a glaive found itself placed accurately in it's torso, landing with a dull thud. The wound did not bleed, but the undead magical light to the hollow's eyes faded without emotion. The hollow dropped their sword and slumped back, slain.

Oscar, returning from the fog gate slapped William gently on the back.
"Bravo, companion. Bravo." He turned back and started to walk slowly towards the bonfire courtyard, nodding, presumably satisfied that his time at the asylum is soon coming to an end.

Sir_Toast
2015-04-07, 07:09 PM
Seeing Baldar dispatch the hollow, William said to him, "Perhaps we should try and leave this place now. I, for one, have no intention of staying any longer."

drageir
2015-04-08, 04:52 AM
Seeing Baldar dispatch the hollow, William said to him, "Perhaps we should try and leave this place now. I, for one, have no intention of staying any longer."

"Indeed, lets rendezvous with the others and leave this place," Baldar responded in agreement. Walking back the dark coridors in silence Baldar pondered how the day had unfolded. The big mans world spun, as if he was really thirsty even though he knew he was not. The momentary dizziness made the entire world seem ephemeral, almost a thing that could be looked through. It passed and, like the world upon whose hide he walked, he moved on. He passed the time stolidly, not hurrying, not loafing.

Arriving back at the bonfire, Baldar sat down and allowed himself a short reprieve. He thought of that momentary dizziness earlier, that sense of being almost untethered from the world, and wondered what it might have meant. He grabbed his whetstone and sharpened the Guisarme's edge, not really focusing on the task. Sharpening had always helped him think.

After some time he scanned his surroundings and looked at his companions, most looking impatient at him. "I'm sorry," he mumbled, got up strode towards the great double doors in the pot room.

Argentum
2015-04-08, 05:09 AM
Argel watched his companions enter the room, content to stay outside and simply enjoy the fresh air while they searched. He tensed at the sound of combat, turning to the room's entrance but relaxed as he watched Baldar exit unharmed, must have been another simple hollow then. "Indeed, it would be nice to finally leave this place once and for all."

The warlock simply walked through the fog gate and down the wall vertically, waiting patiently for his allies by the towering doors.

Wiz0rd
2015-04-08, 06:10 AM
Once again did Oscar rise up from the bonfire rested anew, he too felt the strange pulls and throws of time and the altering of history.
He followed William and Baldar, the mage made his own, unique path to their destination.
"We should not tally, I can imagine you are each eager to leave this place." Each step providing a residing 'ching' sound as the plate shifts during the movement.
"This was one of the doors I could not open." He pointed at the sturdy, impervious lock. "Perhaps the demon that you fell withheld the key to your freedom. If it did not, then I suggest we attempt scaling the walls."

"You should know, I arrived here by boat. I can lead you to it, but I fear that it will be too small for all of us. Let us investigate further, and see what fate deals."

drageir
2015-04-10, 03:33 AM
Baldar nods to Oscar and unlocks the giant door. He leans forward and pushes it open in a no-nonsense and ready for action kind of way that seems really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1oJFbPr5X8

Wiz0rd
2015-04-11, 01:14 PM
The large, looming wooden doors creak as they swing open purposefully to the outside world.

The outer part of the asylum is a combination of how you may have remembered it on your entry, or to how you glimpsed it whilst you were upon the upper balcony above. It is a greenish, stone-scarred landscape dotted with eroded, simple gravestones and raised plots. There appears to be a stony, cobbled pathway leading to seemingly nowhere, stretching beyond two earthy mounds and finishing at a bare cliff-top: presumably a full path or road used to exist there before it fell to the sea.

In front of you lays another orange soap stone sign, a shifting mass of arcane messages. Each of the messages read as such as they trace along the lines:
"Good job, go straight ahead."

Sir_Toast
2015-04-12, 01:29 AM
Seeing the messages, William simply shrugs and says, "All right." and walks straight ahead, though keeping his hands ready should something nasty pop up.

drageir
2015-04-12, 02:59 PM
"This seems... too easy?" Baldar says suspiciously. He casts True Strike upon himself and walks carefully forward towards the top, his guisarme drawn and at the ready.

Argentum
2015-04-14, 03:09 AM
Argel looked at the path and message with suspicion, the asylum had already had a demon guarding it, it would not be a surprise if more stood in their path to freedom.

Cautiously, he walked forward, keeping a small berth between him and the melee fighters. Purplish flames fluttered in his hand, ready to blast all in his way.

Wiz0rd
2015-04-14, 01:35 PM
The silence was deafening as the party stepped along the small path, to the precipice. Each undead looked as if braced, cautiously waiting for something to emerge or to happen. As if advancing against an invisible for or trap. From upon the top of the heath, the view is fresh and breath-taking. The cliffs around you are an odd dullish black color, which are in stark contrast to the white wash from the waves crashing from the sea below.

"Quite a sight. My boat is nearby, come." Oscar says after a momentary pause with the other cautious companions, weapons sheathed and appearing at ease.

As he turns, there is a series of alarmed and booming caws coming from within the nooks and crannies of the cliff. Within a moment, the huge crows surge out from their nests and fly up and towards the group; and with expressive eyes, eyes which look as if they were desperate and wise, they each attempt to swoop in and grapple the party! The air swirls with loose feathers and the frantic beating of wings, and the gripping of talons.

Huge Dire Crows: One for each of you.
They are doing diving touch attacks to initiate grapple with you. This does not provoke AoO.
[roll0] - Argel
[roll1] - Baldar
[roll2] - Willaim
[roll3] - Ciaran
[roll4] - Oscar

The crow's hold checks -
[roll5] - Argel
[roll6] - Baldar
[roll7] - William
[roll8] - Ciaran
[roll9] - Oscar

UristMcRandom
2015-04-14, 10:56 PM
Ciaran is caught thoroughly off-guard by the diving birds, jerking in response to the sudden attempt to grab him. He attempts to twist himself around and pull free...
[roll0]
...just barely slipping through the crow's talons.

Argentum
2015-04-15, 01:46 AM
Urist? Not sure if you noticed, but Wiz0rd already rolled for you in the spoiler.
Edit: Nope, I'm dumb. Horribly dumb. :smallsigh:

The loud, booming caws alert Argel, he turns rapidly, watching as humongous, over-sized crows fly out of the cliff and make a dive for him and his companions. Perhaps it was just him, but for a moment, he glimpsed panic in the birds' eyes.

The warlock blindly makes an awkward dive and roll, barely avoiding the grasp of one of the crows. Standing back up, he hesitates to fire, wracking his brain in search of knowledge of these crows.

Knowledge Check(Arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge Check(The Planes): [roll1]
Knowledge Check(Religion): [roll2]

Wiz0rd
2015-04-15, 04:33 AM
I did indeed roll, but for you to have free actions outside of the grapple this turn, you must succeed on an opposed grapple check. The numbers I rolled were the crow's hold checks. You must roll higher to escape, or you may use the escape artist skill. If you are being held, you may make an attack with a light weapon of yours. I'll edit in a link for the grapple guide later.

But fpr now keep your post and don't edit it. I'll roll with it for now. :)

The crow that misses Argel, and the one that Ciaran eluded the grasp of, turn off and swoop around the party in a wide area, still cawing loudly. Their flight is graceful, in coomparision to the akward scrabbling of the large beasts nearby still tustling with their targets.

Argel, your knowlege of religion and stories grant you a certain amount of insight into these creatures. They are known more as 'the wings of fate' than dire crows, these tremendous bird creatures are the far distant offspring of the fabled Roc and that of the garden corvids. Their presence and flight are often associated in stories with times of great change, for better or for worse, the symbol of the raven often being used as a symbol for death. Like the Roc, their ability to fly long distances and carry heavy loads is also stuff of legend.

drageir
2015-04-15, 06:45 AM
The crows talons closed around Baldars chest and legs and he felt the air leaving his lungs as the powerful grip held him in place. Panic struck Baldar as they slowly raised above the ground and in a last attempt he threw his all his strength into trying to break free.

[roll0]

The talons firmed around Baldar and with a final sigh he conceded to the crow and watched with futility as his companions became small dots on the horizon behind him.

UristMcRandom
2015-04-15, 01:46 PM
Ciaran rolls to the ground after his own tussle with the birds, grabbing his bow and notching an arrow in one fluid motion. Taking aim for the bird that has snagged Baldar, he lets the arrow fly.

Attack: [roll0]
Crit. Confirm: [roll2]
Crit. Damage: +[roll3]

Wiz0rd
2015-04-16, 05:00 PM
I'll be rolling initiative for everyone now, seeing as combat has erupted. Everyone is aware of the situation, and the crow's have already used their surprise round on their first grab attempts. I'll be double posting so I can make comments on what the crows (and Oscar) are doing, and attempting, and I'll be making a second post with the results of their attempt. Let's do this.

Initiative Rolls:
The "Wings of Fate": (They will all share this result)
Baldar:
Argel: [roll2]
Ciaran: [roll3]
Sir_William: 1d20+1
Oscar, of Astora [roll4]

While the two great crows circle around back to re-try their attempts, the party can hear the audible wheezes and sighs of Baldar in his armor as the talons grip the unfortunate figure strongly. With great beating of its' wings it begins to try to lift and carry the undead off towards the direction of the sea. Before any great movement could take place, a loosed arrow thuds dully into the abdomen of the flapping creature, provoking a shrill caw and a slight shifting in the feet of the animal.

Oscar, is similarly being picked up with relative ease, even though one would suspect that the armor would grant him some weight and advantage, but alas. William's quarry swoops overhead, missing the agile monk from Vinheim as he turns to watch the bird pass with his fists still raised, ready to fight on; his bird comes to a stop next to him with talons raised and continually grasping in a clumsy motion.

The crows do not have Fly-by attack, so those who grappled in the previous round have either landed or are hovering in your melee range. I'll keep the description of the crow's circling after trying to grapple Ciaran and Argel, but I won't charge you again for fairness sakes'.
Actions (as allowed by the initiative order:)
Baldar's crow: Opposed Grapple Check, to allow for a move action to lift you up and off towards the sea. The check is made at a -1, courtesy of Ciaran's arrow. They are fore-going their light weapon attack rolls (but your characters most likely don't know that). [roll5], Roll to beat that, and then have your actions.
Oscar's crow: As above. [roll6]
Argel's crow: Crow's touch attack to initiate grapple: [roll7], and Grapple HOLD check [roll8]. Oppose, and then describe your action please.
Ciaran's crow: [roll9], and Grapple Hold check [roll10].
William's crow: The last grapple touch attack missed, retrying [roll11], and grapple hold check [roll12]

You may attack, surrender, or do any other action that comes to your mind freely on your turn in the initiative order.

Wiz0rd
2015-04-16, 05:14 PM
Re-roll Williams Initiative: [roll0]

- Ciaran, your turn.
- Oscar will have his turn now.
- Then the crow's actions from the last post will occur.

While dice of destiny wait for Baldar and his struggle with the crows, Oscar is haplessly lifted up and off the ground and each beat of the large powerful wings take him further and further out to sea.
"Farewell!" he cries as his figure becomes smaller and smaller. The seriousness and danger of the situation now being highlighted.

Sir_Toast
2015-04-17, 09:06 PM
Deftly dodging the talons of the crow, William grins madly and tries to jump on its back!

Not sure what to roll, so I'm going with a couple options:
Jump (Strength Check): [roll0]
Grapple: [roll1] (+3 STR, +1 BTH)