PDA

View Full Version : Rapid spell clarification

questionmark693
2015-02-02, 03:59 PM
So I'm putting together a summoning focused druid, level sixteen. I'm looking at feats, and rapid spell looks good, but I want to make sure. Adding that to a spontaneous SNA will make it a full round casting time, right?

eggynack
2015-02-02, 04:02 PM
You just can't add rapid spell to spontaneous SNA at all. The feat specifies that it can only be applied to a spontaneously cast spell if it has a casting time greater than a full round, and SNA does not.

questionmark693
2015-02-02, 04:04 PM
Umm....yeah it does...it has a 1 round casting time. That's more than a full-round, isn't it? (sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just making sure I'm not way out in left field)

eggynack
2015-02-02, 04:08 PM
Umm....yeah it does...it has a 1 round casting time. That's more than a full-round, isn't it? (sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just making sure I'm not way out in left field)
I'm pretty sure the terms are synonymous in this context.

questionmark693
2015-02-02, 04:10 PM
But it specifically calls out spells with casting times measured in rounds...why wouldn't 'casting time:1 round' be a casting time measured in rounds?

eggynack
2015-02-02, 04:15 PM
But it specifically calls out spells with casting times measured in rounds...why wouldn't 'casting time:1 round' be a casting time measured in rounds?
Because it's a casting time measured in one round, rather than several rounds. In any case, more to the point, the game specifies that, "A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action." That it further specifies that those spells come into effect in the next round is irrelevant.

questionmark693
2015-02-02, 04:18 PM
Ok, got it. That makes sense...even if I don't like it XP Do you happen to know of any alternatives offhand that would accomplish a similar effect?

eggynack
2015-02-02, 04:20 PM
Ok, got it. That makes sense...even if I don't like it XP Do you happen to know of any alternatives offhand that would accomplish a similar effect?
The two big ones are golden desert honey from complete mage, and the rapid summoning ability from shifter druid substitution levels in races of eberron. Also the chronocharm of the uncaring archmage from the MIC, if you're using low level spells.

questionmark693
2015-02-02, 04:24 PM
Awesome, thank you :smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2015-02-02, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the terms are synonymous in this context.
A full round spell takes a full round action to cast - you perform the action, and it takes effect at the end of your turn. A 1-round casting time requires you to sit there and cast for the entire round, and it takes effect at the start of your next turn - meaning that it can be interrupted by an axe to the face, for instance.

eggynack
2015-02-02, 04:28 PM
A full round spell takes a full round action to cast - you perform the action, and it takes effect at the end of your turn. A 1-round casting time requires you to sit there and cast for the entire round, and it takes effect at the start of your next turn - meaning that it can be interrupted by an axe to the face, for instance.
That doesn't really fit the available facts though, as the game's section on casting times does in fact call out one round casting times as taking a full round action. It is apparent that full round actions mean something different specifically where spell casting times are concerned.

Flickerdart
2015-02-02, 05:21 PM
That doesn't really fit the available facts though, as the game's section on casting times does in fact call out one round casting times as taking a full round action. It is apparent that full round actions mean something different specifically where spell casting times are concerned.
They both take the same time. Remember that all turns within a round are supposed to take place at the same time. In both cases you spend a full-round action on the spell. The only difference is when the spell actually comes into effect.

eggynack
2015-02-02, 05:25 PM
They both take the same time. Remember that all turns within a round are supposed to take place at the same time. In both cases you spend a full-round action on the spell. The only difference is when the spell actually comes into effect.
The implication there is that I'm correct, that rapid spell just doesn't interact with spontaneous SNA at all, if I'm not mistaken. It would work with normal SNA, however.

Flickerdart
2015-02-02, 05:29 PM
The implication there is that I'm correct, that rapid spell just doesn't interact with spontaneous SNA at all, if I'm not mistaken. It would work with normal SNA, however.
The reason it doesn't apply is that RAW only clerics can apply metamagic to spontaneously converted spells.

questionmark693
2015-02-02, 05:52 PM
The reason it doesn't apply is that RAW only clerics can apply metamagic to spontaneously converted spells.

I did not know that...could you point me to where I might find that knowledge?

Flickerdart
2015-02-02, 05:53 PM
I did not know that...could you point me to where I might find that knowledge?
The section on Metamagic under Feats in the PHB or SRD describes how different classes interact with them.