PDA

View Full Version : Who is this quote from?

2E Phoinex
2015-02-02, 07:28 PM
There is this quote I really like that goes something like: "Reading is a young man discovering all those original thoughts of his are very old indeed"

Now I have always thought it was Thomas Jefferson who said this but I haven't found confirmation anywhere. My Google-Fu must be terrible. Can anybody help me out?

Thanks.

Also, what an awesome sentiment right? I'm reminded of its truth all the time.

danzibr
2015-02-03, 01:05 PM
I absolutely have heard a similar quote, and I absolutely can't remember who it's from. I'm curious to see what the playground says (my google-fu was also weak).

Palanan
2015-02-03, 01:08 PM
Sounds more like Heinlein to me. Or maybe Twain.

JoshL
2015-02-03, 07:33 PM
Found a similar one attributed to Abraham Lincoln:
“Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren't very new after all.”

Seems to come from here: http://www.illinoisancestors.org/lincoln/debatefairness.html published in 1898

2E Phoinex
2015-02-04, 01:45 AM
Found a similar one attributed to Abraham Lincoln:
“Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren't very new after all.”

Seems to come from here: http://www.illinoisancestors.org/lincoln/debatefairness.html published in 1898

Ha sweet I'll take it. Thanks for providing the link!

Killer Angel
2015-02-06, 04:01 PM
My cousin, some time ago, said something similar, thinking it was an original thought. I like the irony of it... :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2015-02-06, 06:44 PM
I call it "The Simpsons Did It" philosophy. And its TERRIBLE! I mean my god, all its saying is, "Yeah, you know all those wonderful thoughts you came up with? Its been done. Often repeatedly." Might as well not bother trying to come up with something new, its already been thought of.

JoshL
2015-02-06, 08:59 PM
You could see that as a pessimistic view, but it can also be freeing. Everything has been done; everything has been said. So rather than focusing on saying something new, you can focus on saying something WELL. And if you are not spending so much time striving to be original and unique, you will find that by being honest to yourself, your expression will BE unique. Just a matter of how you choose to look at things.

Digging for that quote is interesting: it's attributed to Lincoln all over the place, but the closest to an original source I found was the piece above. Which is someone else writing about something Lincoln said to him, published over 30 years after his death. So did he say that? Did he say something similar and the author embellished or mis-remembered? Did he have an interesting observation, and in order to give it more credibility and gravitas, attribute it to Lincoln? It would be interesting to do some more research into this quote, rather than just a passing 45 minutes on the internet!

Traab
2015-02-06, 09:04 PM
"I really wish people would stop attributing quotes to me." -Abraham Lincoln

"I hear you my brother" -Morgan Freeman

Killer Angel
2015-02-07, 05:02 AM
I call it "The Simpsons Did It" philosophy. And its TERRIBLE! I mean my god, all its saying is, "Yeah, you know all those wonderful thoughts you came up with? Its been done. Often repeatedly." Might as well not bother trying to come up with something new, its already been thought of.

It was basically the idea behind the short novel "melancholy elephants" (Hugo winner), only revolved around the various forms of art. We need to forget some past...