PDA

View Full Version : Skull Talisman, is it worth it?

Blackhawk748
2015-02-02, 08:28 PM
Im making a Northern Witch and im thinking about taking Skull Talisman, the problem is is that Skull Talismens seem kinda pricey for one time use items. So im curious if anyone has had any experience with it and if it was worth it?

j_spencer93
2015-02-03, 12:20 AM
I like the feat's flavor but not entirely sure how to "Whoever destroys the skull is the target of the spell" part to be useful in battle though unless your using it for buff spells which would be nice.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-03, 12:29 AM
It's basically like Brew Potion at double the cost, but it allows up to 9th level spells. I actually had to do some searching to find this feat, as I'd initially mistaken it for Bone Talisman (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) and then Black Lore of Moil (CA). I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's definitely not something that you'll see a lot of PCs using, considering the alternatives.

Just to note, Bone Talisman is significantly better if you put Unguent of Timelessness on the bones prior to casting it so it lasts 365 times longer, plus you can reuse those indefinitely and the unguent never wears off.

j_spencer93
2015-02-03, 12:35 AM
to be honest making a primitive druid that uses both would be pretty cool.

Troacctid
2015-02-03, 01:19 AM
Skull talismans are definitely better than potions if you have an 11th level Truenamer handy. Crack it, get the effect, and one quick rebuild item utterance later, it's good as new again.

Aside from silly tricks like that, it's pretty narrow.

j_spencer93
2015-02-03, 11:38 AM
Skull talismans are definitely better than potions if you have an 11th level Truenamer handy. Crack it, get the effect, and one quick rebuild item utterance later, it's good as new again.

Aside from silly tricks like that, it's pretty narrow.

holy crap i think thats the first time i have ever seen truenamer recommended

Coidzor
2015-02-03, 12:45 PM
holy crap i think thats the first time i have ever seen truenamer recommended

There's a similar trick with alternate scrolls/potions that are ceramic tiles one breaks and using truenaming to fix 'em so they're not actually expended.

Darrin
2015-02-03, 01:06 PM
You can use Skull Talismans to circumvent things like long casting times and Range: Personal spells. For example, transcend mortality (Complete Mage) could be interesting if you can get someone else to break the skull. Aquatic escape (Complete Scoundrel) would be cheaper, but the short duration turns it into more of an amusing prank than a baleful polymorph.

I futzed around with trying to break the skull remotely, but couldn't come up with anything elegant. My first idea was cover the skull in gray slime (Dungeonscape) and then put it in a light-proof ceramic container, but that was a little unwieldy. My second idea was attach a Glyph Seal with shatter keyed to "any creature except me", but getting the Glyph Seal back might be problematic.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-03, 06:22 PM
You can use Skull Talismans to circumvent things like long casting times and Range: Personal spells. For example, transcend mortality (Complete Mage) could be interesting if you can get someone else to break the skull. Aquatic escape (Complete Scoundrel) would be cheaper, but the short duration turns it into more of an amusing prank than a baleful polymorph.

I futzed around with trying to break the skull remotely, but couldn't come up with anything elegant. My first idea was cover the skull in gray slime (Dungeonscape) and then put it in a light-proof ceramic container, but that was a little unwieldy. My second idea was attach a Glyph Seal with shatter keyed to "any creature except me", but getting the Glyph Seal back might be problematic.

Just put it in a hole covered with a bored and a piton in it, someone steps on it and the piton drives into the skull breaking it. Boom land mines.

Which just gave me a great idea......

Aldo thanks guys, i think ill take it.