PDA

View Full Version : Insufficient Ability Score to Cast From Scrolls - Suggestions?

NecessaryWeevil
2015-02-02, 11:10 PM
I plan to end up with about four levels of cleric casting when my build is complete. I'm the only divine caster in our group and I want to be able to cast spells like Restoration, Raise Dead etc. from scrolls. The problem is, my Wisdom is only 13, so I will be looking at UMD DCs of 29 (for level 4 spells) to emulate Wisdom 14 (or higher for higher level spells). The obvious solution is an ability-boosting item, but are there other solutions - feats, etc.? Currently I am Crusader 10; Ruby Knight Vindicator 2; Cleric 1; Fighter 1.

Thanks!

Troacctid
2015-02-02, 11:15 PM
Owl's wisdom is on the Cleric list. You can prepare and cast it with only one more level of RKV.

Any particular reason you can't get an ability-boosting item? 4000 gp really shouldn't be problematic for a 14th level character, and it does a lot of other good things for you too.

NecessaryWeevil
2015-02-02, 11:21 PM
Any particular reason you can't get an ability-boosting item? 4000 gp really shouldn't be problematic for a 14th level character, and it does a lot of other good things for you too.

The DM is being a bit stingy with treasure because we're defeating most level-appropriate foes without too much trouble. But no, no particular reason. Just curious whether other solutions exist.

Allanimal
2015-02-03, 02:36 AM
Does a wand of Owls Wisdom count as an ability boosting item?

Why about boosting your UMD instead of your WIS score?

Xerlith
2015-02-03, 06:07 AM
3rd party feat - Lost Traditions. Lets you cast off any stat (including physical ones).
You can also simply get Craft Wondrous Item as a feat and craft your items yourself. Probably your best choice, actually.

There's also Dynamic Priest that keys your casting off Charisma. Bit too late to take it though, unless you go for retraining.

Finally, you can just use a Wish five times in a row and ask for a +1 Wisdom on each casting. That's a straightforward wish, so it cannot be twisted by the DM.

Darrin
2015-02-03, 08:22 AM
Guidance of the avatar (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) + UMD check.