PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Dwarf Sorcerer Build

DireSickFish
2015-02-03, 01:28 AM
Hey I'm making a lvl8 character and would like some imput on my build. I'm going Hill Dwarf Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer with point by. My goal is to have a good concentration check and stay within 10 ft. of the party pally so I get improved saves. I'm also going a lot of save or suck to take advantage of Heightend spell. I alsoexpect to have mele threats so would like to avoid spells with attack rolls.

Race: Hill Dwarf
lvl8
Sorcerer: Green Draconic Bloodline
Str: 8
Dex: 14
Con: 18
Int: 8
Wis: 11
Cha: 18
HP: 82
AC 15

Spells

Cantrips
Poison Spray
Ray of Frost
Prestidigitation
Mage Hand
Level 1
Sheld
Feather Fall
Comprehend Languages

Level 2
Misty Step
Hold Person

Level 3
fear
Counterspell

Level 4
Banishment
Dimension Door

Draconic Resilience

Elemental Affinity: Poison

Metamagic
Careful Spell - Mainly so I can cast Fear and exlude my allies but there are some good AoE's at higher levels
Heightend Spell- Really the main thrust here as I can heighten many of my spells Hold Person, Fear, Banishment to really make them stick.

I know I'm forgoing damage to be a controller. I wanted Twin or Quicken instead of Careful spell but can't see myself using it where Heightend spell wouldn't just be a better choice. Misty Step and Dimension door give me a lot of wiggle room if things get tight in mele. Thoughts?

Mandragola
2015-02-03, 07:10 PM
Seems ok. Nice idea taking poison spray and green dragon. You're very tough for an arcane caster too.

You might still want to take something like haste at level 3, and maybe fireball. I think a twin-spelled haste is something your friends would be very grateful for.

Mechaviking
2015-02-03, 09:16 PM
Looks good, fire is a bit safer for damage(you can keep 2 fire spells around and cast them with higher level slots to get the extra damage) but there is nothing wrong with poison(aside from doublestacking poison resist).

Twinned haste is the best buff in the game so I reccomend keeping it around.

Also fireball is pretty great in this version :D

Looks pretty solid, tell me how it works out :D

DireSickFish
2015-02-03, 09:57 PM
I like Fireball and Twinned Haste this edition too. The problem is I only have one concentration slot and Banishment and Hold person already use concentration. If I commit to haste then odds are ill never use those spells as Haste is going to be a better option.

If Firebolt was a save and not an attack roll i'd just go fire dragon and pick up fireball, but i want to stay close to the front-line and having my main cantrip give disadvantage to adjacent enemies is a big downer. So I'm not getting Cha to damage on Fireball. Might still be worth it anyway, I could see giving up Comprehend languages for it. Would be nice to be able to throw out some damage while I maintain concentration.

Mandragola
2015-02-04, 04:27 AM
I do think there are more uses for fireball than comprehend languages!

Your logic with haste seems a little odd. Haste is better than hold person so you'd never cast hold person, so you don't take haste - even though it's better!

Giant2005
2015-02-04, 04:54 AM
Haste isn't better than Hold Person, especially for a Sorc that plans on staying in melee range. Being in melee makes losing concentration far too easy and losing concentration absolutely screws over whoever has Haste cast on them.
I'd much rather have no Haste in 5e.

Mechaviking
2015-02-04, 05:44 AM
Haste isn't better than Hold Person, especially for a Sorc that plans on staying in melee range. Being in melee makes losing concentration far too easy and losing concentration absolutely screws over whoever has Haste cast on them.
I'd much rather have no Haste in 5e.

He has 18 con, is proficient in con saving throws and a minimum ac of 15, heŽll be fine in regards to concentration checks, besides if something is that close to be a threat it is that close to be shredded by 2 hasted melee dudes, which at level 8 is a potential 50% damage increase. He can also cast it on himself for extra ac and mobility as well :D

DireSickFish
2015-02-04, 08:43 AM
He has 18 con, is proficient in con saving throws and a minimum ac of 15, heŽll be fine in regards to concentration checks, besides if something is that close to be a threat it is that close to be shredded by 2 hasted melee dudes, which at level 8 is a potential 50% damage increase. He can also cast it on himself for extra ac and mobility as well :D

I'll also be close to my pally for his Cha bonus to con saves!

Your logic with haste seems a little odd. Haste is better than hold person so you'd never cast hold person, so you don't take haste - even though it's better!

This is pretty much it but there is also opportunity cost. Banishment is going to be a great use of my concentration, especially against outsiders because it completely removes them. Fear is great for provoking AoO's and clearing out the chaff. HP is not as good as twinned haste by a long shot but it is also lower level and i can effect multiple enemies. If I open up a fight with double haste (which is a good option) I'm limiting myself too keeping that up the whole fight every fight. I can't remove high priority targets or cone of fear the enemy. I have far less options with haste especially with how bad haste is when it wears off.

Mechaviking
2015-02-04, 12:22 PM
You got this in the bag :D

Person_Man
2015-02-04, 12:46 PM
Looks fine.

You might want to consider Aasimar or variant human over Hill Dwarf. Aasimar (DMG pgs 286-287) is +2 Cha/+1 Wis, 30 ft speed, Darkvision, Resistant to Necrotic and Radiant damage, Light cantrip, Lesser Restoration (which removes disease, blinded, deafened, paralyzed, or poisoned) and Daylight once per Long Rest. Human would give you +1 to any two ability scores and a Feat, which you could spend on Durable, Lucky, Resilient, War Caster, etc.

You might also want to consider Conjure whatever or Animate Dead. One of the best ways to be a "controller" is to flood the zone with minions.