PDA

View Full Version : Statting Aquaman! (or really similar guy)

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-03, 05:30 AM
So, after watching Throne of Atlantis I realized that it was possible to stat Aquaman! Decided to do it just for kicks, and I think it ended up pretty well.

Here's the gestalt build:

Aventi Druid 5/Waveservant 6/Wavekeeper 5//Elemental Warrior 4 // Fighter 2/Psychic Fighter 2/Psion 10/Ranger 6

Race/Classes:

Aventi - Aventi are pretty much Atlanteans, if you ask me
Druid - Summon Nature's Ally would be Aquaman's ability to summon water creatures, shark animal companion for all his sharking needs and water magic. Used Aspect of Nature instead of Wild Shape and Resist Planar Might instead of Resist Nature's Lure. Also used Stormwrack's variant rules for underwater druids.
Fighter - Bonus feats for trident fighting
Psychic Fighter - Bonus feats for fighting, and power points
Waveservant - freedom of movement would be Aquaman's mastery of swimming, Aquatic Servants are his fish servants, deep sight so he can see underwater, and tremorsense, as he can identify movement through the water current
Psion - very overlooked, Aquaman is actually a telepath! He can influence people, not only sea creatures. So his dicipline would be telepathy, with some psychometabolism for his physical resistance
Wavekeeper - Better swimming, improved animal companion and most importantly, hydrokinesis somewhat representing his water hand
Ranger - variant mounted combat ranger for giant seahorse riding! Also, favored enemy with humanoid (aquatic) to face trenchers and rogue atlanteans, and aberrations, to face Ctulhu-esque creatures from the deep. Also, using Stormwrack's variant rules for underwater rangers.
Elemental Warrior - more hydrokinesis, although I'm not completely satisfied with this one.

Feats:

Level 1 - Spell Focus (Conjuration)
Fighter 1 - Power Attack
Fighter 2 - Weapon Focus (Trident)
Level 3 - Augment Summoning
Psychic Warrior 1 - Improved Sunder
Psychic Warrior 2 - Mounted Combat
Psion 1 - Extend Power
Level 6 - Endurance
Level 9 - Leadership (he is a king after all)
Psion 5 - Chain Power
Level 12 - Run (for his amazing underwater speed)
Psion 10 - Quicken Power
Level 15 - Improved Vitality
Ranger 2 - Mounted Charge
Level 18 - Flay
Ranger 6 - Spirited Charge

I wasn't really inspired when looking for feats, so I'd like your ideas for them. And about the build in general, what does the playground think? Can it work?

Feint's End
2015-02-03, 10:50 AM
It's a pretty bad build to be honest. And way to mad.

Is there a feat which let's you flurry with a trident? Because then it would be pretty easy to do. One side go druid ... possibly with some watery prc. Other side one level monk (or none really ... just if you need feats) and then ardent with tashalatora. You can also dip warblade on this side without losing to much.

You got all the animal flavour on the druid side and the fighting and telepathy on the other side. Problem solved?

Karl Aegis
2015-02-03, 11:22 AM
Doesn't most of Aquaman's usefulness come from his absurdly high strength score (when compared to average humans)? Most of his other abilities are highly situational.

paddyfool
2015-02-03, 11:33 AM
Hmm. His core adventuring suite is his strength, durability, combat skills, senses, and reflexes. His underwater-specific abilities are speed, ability to breathe underwater, even better senses, and telepathy (sometimes he can fudge this to affect not-exactly-aquatic creatures via telepathy too, but it depends on the writer). And his "**** hits the fan" options entail calling on the resources of an undersea empire, a horde of undersea monsters he has on call, and, of course, Justice League contacts.

Much of this is best addressed with some kind of high LA template on one side of a gestalt, with a fighting class, e.g. Crusader (that durability again), on the other. (His telepathic abilities are a tad too specific to fit what most psionic classes offer). Most of the stuff I addressed in the third sentence is best left unstatted, besides maybe some access to Nature's Ally.

Belial_the_Leveler
2015-02-03, 07:35 PM
1) Atlanteans have a natural swim speed at least as fast as a Los-Angeleles class sub. That's 140 ft/round.

2) Atlanteans are strong enough to punch through steel walls with their bare hands. That's an absolute minimum of +10 strength modifier, or Str 30. Seeing as Aquaman is often portrayed as on par with Wonder Woman, specific atlanteans might be strong enough to lift an M1 Abrams tank. That's Str 60 instead.

3) Atlanteans are invulnerable to common blades wielded by humans but not impervious to heavy machinegun fire. That's at least DR 10, up to DR 15. It also helps them ignore damage from fairly high pressures.

4) Atlanteans have no problem seeing in abyssal depths and their senses are not distorted by water. They can obviously breathe underwater.

5) Aquaman is an extremely capable warrior, though not on par with Wonder Woman.

6) Aquaman has very long ranged marine telepathy.

7) Aquaman's trident is a major artifact. A single blast from it can wreck a tank (1000+ hp) and it can perform rather impressive feats of sorcery.

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-03, 08:39 PM
Interesting. Any ideas for his armor?

Belial_the_Leveler
2015-02-04, 03:18 AM
Well, on the times he does wear armor, it should provide some sort of protection that his natural toughness doesn't. DnD portrays armor as "deflecting blows" while comics almost always portray it as "damage reduction". Because from equally accurate blows, the heaviest will penetrate better.

sideswipe
2015-02-04, 07:39 AM
well...... if you really get into it and apply logic (bad idea with fictional characters) you can look at it like this....

aquaman can control and communicate mentally with all fish on the planet. so irresistible mind control.

he is an enchantment focused wizard with the non errata'd version of irresistible spell metamagic. and metamagic reducers applied to it so that it doesn't change. then possibly incanatrix to persist a whole bunch of other spells that give him his other powers...

this is a joke post, don't fan-boy out on me please, take it with a pinch of salt :smallsmile: