PDA

View Full Version : Forced to be the target

Alucard2099
2015-02-03, 06:17 AM
I'm trying to find a way to force enemies to attack only you.

I can't find a way for this to happen. I know there is an ability that gives them the disadvantage when attacking others, but that's doesn't make them attack you. ..

Anyone have a RAW answer?

iTreeby
2015-02-03, 06:51 AM
If the rest of your party is hidden/ has bear traps littering the floor/ is farther away/ is flying then you are more likely to be attacked. Marching order is important. otherwise the feat that makes opponents have zero speed when you hit them can control the movements of an enemy. Knocking things prone makes them use movement to stand up which would probably limit their options.

Balor777
2015-02-03, 07:22 AM
I'm trying to find a way to force enemies to attack only you.

I can't find a way for this to happen. I know there is an ability that gives them the disadvantage when attacking others, but that's doesn't make them attack you. ..

Anyone have a RAW answer?
I think its just this. Just the style,but the good DM WILL make the enemy attack after the first miss do to your protection,unless the enemy is a very low INT creature.

Naanomi
2015-02-03, 09:00 AM
I think its just this. Just the style,but the good DM WILL make the enemy attack after the first miss do to your protection,unless the enemy is a very low INT creature.
Or a very high INT creature who things swinging at disadvantage on the fleeing wizard is better than throwing attacks into the Barbarian/Paladin meat walls

JFahy
2015-02-03, 11:38 AM
Don't know if they're relevant to what you're trying to do, but...

?Shield of Missile Attraction? forces shooters to target you under some conditions.
The Mounted Combatant feat lets you force attacks on your mount to target you instead.

Not complete solutions, but maybe a start...?

burninatortrog
2015-02-04, 02:04 AM
Dominate Monster
8th-level enchantment

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

You attempt to beguile a creature that you can see within range. It must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by you for the duration. If you or creatures that are friendly to you are fighting it, it has advantage on the saving throw.

While the creature is charmed, you have a telepathic link with it as long as the two of you are on the same plane of existence. You can use this telepathic link to issue commands to the creature while you are conscious (no action required), which it does its best to obey. You can specify a simple and general course of action, such as “Attack that creature,” “Run over there,” or “Fetch that object.” If the creature completes the order and doesn’t receive further direction from you, it defends and preserves itself to the best of its ability.

You can use your action to take total and precise control of the target. Until the end of your next turn, the creature takes only the actions you choose, and doesn’t do anything that you don’t allow it to do. During this time, you can also cause the creature to use a reaction, but this requires you to use your own reaction as well.

Each time the target takes damage, it makes a new Wisdom saving throw against the spell. If the saving throw succeeds, the spell ends.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell with a 9th-level spell slot, the duration is concentration, up to 8 hours.

Kane0
2015-02-04, 02:49 AM
If you want to get creative try making a charisma check to taunt a foe into focusing on you, or a charisma check to challenge them to an honorable duel. Not written as a rule, but I can't see why one wouldn't allow an attempt under reasonable circumstances.

Flashy
2015-02-04, 02:57 AM
Apart from the sanctuary spell (which is I think what you're thinking of in the original post) there's pretty much nothing like this.

Rallicus
2015-02-04, 05:09 AM
Call it names. Add obscene gestures for maximum efficiency.

Giant2005
2015-02-04, 05:17 AM
Apart from the sanctuary spell (which is I think what you're thinking of in the original post) there's pretty much nothing like this.

I think he is talking about either Compelled Duel or Goading Attack. Sanctuary would work but only if you cast it on all of the available combatants other than you (Which would probably require Twinned spell from Sorc to have any chance).

pibby
2015-02-04, 04:23 PM
Enthrall might be what you're looking for but I think that could only work on the first round if the rest of the party members are not catching any of the enemies' attention at the time of casting.

Inevitability
2015-02-05, 12:49 PM
Cast Invisibility spells on the rest of your party. :smalltongue:

Totema
2015-02-05, 01:04 PM
Dominate Monster (snip)
Given that OP wants to perform some kind of tanking role, this is hardly the best use for a dominate effect. Why not prevent damage to the meat shield entirely by making the dominated enemy attack its friends instead?

JFahy
2015-02-05, 02:47 PM
Given that OP wants to perform some kind of tanking role, this is hardly the best use for a dominate effect. Why not prevent damage to the meat shield entirely by making the dominated enemy attack its friends instead?

He didn't say what the motivation was, unless I missed it, so we're kind of
stabbing in the dark. I assume my suggestions were useless, but I'm not sure... :smallsigh:

Alucard2099
2015-02-05, 03:07 PM
He didn't say what the motivation was, unless I missed it, so we're kind of
stabbing in the dark. I assume my suggestions were useless, but I'm not sure... :smallsigh:

No one's suggestions were useless. I was trying them all out of the last few days. Basically what I am trying to do is, Force my opponents to attack me, while my party deals out damage. The basic tank role in an MMORPG kinda thing. regardless what my allies do, the enemy should be focused solely on me.

I'm asking for this help because I am the meat shield of my party. However our DM typically runs on a hate/emninty system in battle, so whoever is doing the most damage, or healing, get's all the hate. I'm looking for a way to force the baddie to hit only me.

DireSickFish
2015-02-05, 03:12 PM
No one's suggestions were useless. I was trying them all out of the last few days. Basically what I am trying to do is, Force my opponents to attack me, while my party deals out damage. The basic tank role in an MMORPG kinda thing. regardless what my allies do, the enemy should be focused solely on me.

I'm asking for this help because I am the meat shield of my party. However our DM typically runs on a hate/emninty system in battle, so whoever is doing the most damage, or healing, get's all the hate. I'm looking for a way to force the baddie to hit only me.

If you use your attack to grapple then the bad guy can't move away. As long as no other party members are within reach of the bad guy then he is forced to hit you or attack no one. Take mage slayer to also punish him for casting spells at your allies.

JNAProductions
2015-02-05, 03:29 PM
Did someone say grappling (http://community.wizards.com/forum/player-help/threads/4142801)? Probably a bit late for your character, but there's some great advice on how to lock down bare minimum two enemies. Not only will they be forced to attack you, they'll be doing so at disadvantage.

Safety Sword
2015-02-05, 04:21 PM
D&D isn't meant to be an MMORPG and there is no "threat" system.

The best way to do what you want however is to put slowing or restraining effects in place and make your high hit point party members the only valid target due to reach.

Ranged attackers are always going to be able to choose whichever targets they think are the biggest threat. If your fighter runs up and smashes an ally of theirs and looks like he might push on to get to the BBEG they are beholden to they will probably target the fighter.

If the wizard drops a fireball on them, well, I'd go after the wizard too, I want to live and defend the guy who is paying me.

KristofCarrot
2015-02-06, 04:10 AM
Make your hits as often as possible (duelling fighter\devotion paladin\bear totem barb) and as hard as you can while not letting your guard down (may be some feats like Sentinel or Shield master).
And rush in a melee to use opprtunity attacks to stop enemies.

In general there are almost no tools to make someone attack you (like Taunt or smth else), but you have to make yourself as dangerous to ignore as possible.

Knaight
2015-02-06, 08:05 AM

Choke points are obvious - if you're the only person in reach and everyone is behind you, you're likely to get attacked. With the system your DM uses (which is oddly codified) it also sounds like making your enemies hate you could work pretty well. If you're up against reasonably intelligent opposition that is also hot heated, a few well chosen insults could go pretty far.

Epoch
2015-02-06, 09:04 AM
What kind of character are you playing?

If you're willing to house rule/homebrew, the Knight class from 3.5 had a Challenge ability that allowed him to call out other creatures and force them to fight him. I'm AFB right now, but I think eventually it got to the point where you could challenge groups of monsters all at once.

OR if you'd rather not mess with the RAW, try roleplay! Have your character DARE any one of the fell creatures you face to attack him. Sling insults (and in the case of low-INT creatures, small rocks hurled at the face seem to convey the message as well). Do whatever you can to force their hand.

Work with your DM, say "Hey, my character has this thing where he wants to draw enemy attacks towards him. How best could we do that?"

You may not be able to do it 100% of the time, but then again it would get rather boring for the others if the beastie didn't take a swing at them every now and then.

Naanomi
2015-02-06, 09:36 AM
If a GM is working off a MMO style 'threat system' maybe talk to him about modifying threat based on Intimidate and Deception skill values?