PDA

View Full Version : personality extras

Wolfiepegasus
2015-02-03, 12:42 PM
Ok so I'm rather newesque to DMing and I have this campaign and the characters personalities are really important. For example we have a druid with a dragon level obssession with shiny things and as such tends to want any he can get and its always funny when I put a shiny in.

However I have a question pertaining to this(we are ripping rules from other editions too such as cantrips).

In the campaign is an insane chaotic neutral( chaotic neutral evil as a joke due to his boom first dont care later attitude) character whos personality wise would take it all as a game and not serious, and thus not really try, making for some interesting reactions to his kills(which typically have some form of destruction). Would it be a bad dm decision to allow this character some boost when he decides to try? Due to personality this would be highly rare but still, would that be bad? Of course id find a way to help the others in a similar manner but it seems like a good role play mechanic.

Tryxx
2015-02-03, 12:48 PM
What you're describing to me sounds like a custom trait (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm) - something that describes an aspect of a character with a corresponding bonus and drawback. I'd perhaps give him a -1 penalty on his actions when not "trying" and a +2 bonus when he does. Traits shouldn't be net gains, as they're defined by their drawback - otherwise it's like a free mini-feat. If you're doing it for all your characters, I don't see a problem though.

Wolfiepegasus
2015-02-03, 12:59 PM
Well I have to find the balance but I was unaware of the traits, like I said kinda new.
However that suggestion makes sense given the nature of the campaign.

So thanks for the tip!

Karl Aegis
2015-02-03, 01:51 PM
Sounds like your character has built up some sort of depravity. I would roll on the Heroes of Horror table for effects of his depravity.

Wolfiepegasus
2015-02-03, 03:00 PM
I don't see how a character that just likes to blow stuff up, and generally considers fighting to be playing. He might be a little depraved due to his uncaring nature towards life and peoples belongings. He just loves exploding stuff, he also might worship Tiamat for random reasons.