PDA

View Full Version : Arcane/Divine class equivalents

Totema
2015-02-03, 12:42 PM
if the divine equivalent of the sorcerer is the favored soul, and the divine equivalent of the wizard is the archivist, is there an arcane equivalent of the cleric?

Andreaz
2015-02-03, 12:45 PM
if the divine equivalent of the sorcerer is the favored soul, and the divine equivalent of the wizard is the archivist, is there an arcane equivalent of the cleric?It's the wizard!

Xerlith
2015-02-03, 12:46 PM
Beguiler, Warmage and Dread Necro are as close as it gets.
In fact, I wouldn't draw such a comparison at all - I mean, it's been more like cleric=wizard, favored soul=sorcerer for a long time.

EDIT: Oh, a ninja.

Totema
2015-02-03, 12:48 PM
Ok, to be more on-the-nose: is there an arcane caster that prepares spells, that has utility similar to the wizard, but doesn't use a spellbook?

Vhaidara
2015-02-03, 12:54 PM
Ok, to be more on-the-nose: is there an arcane caster that prepares spells, that has utility similar to the wizard, but doesn't use a spellbook?

Eidetic Wizard. It's a Dragon Mag variant that doesn't use a spellbook. Instead they learn spells by inhaling incense or, as my group runs it, smoking drugs rolled in scrolls.

Totema
2015-02-03, 01:12 PM
Eidetic Wizard. It's a Dragon Mag variant that doesn't use a spellbook. Instead they learn spells by inhaling incense or, as my group runs it, smoking drugs rolled in scrolls.

Intriguing! But, as it's from Dragon, I have to ask, how does it balance?

Xerlith
2015-02-03, 01:22 PM
As a standard wizard, given the only change is that you don't have a spellbook and must jump through a small hoop to learn new spels (buy incense in addition to having a scroll).

DMVerdandi
2015-02-03, 02:01 PM
The answer is no.

An arcane variant would have to allow spell casting in armor, get medium BAB, Full casting, and something similar to turning if not simply keeping the mechanic.

An interesting experiment I always wanted to try was taking the cleric, and giving him the wiz/sorcerer spell list. No access to cleric spells, but the wiz/sorc list cast as divine spells. Perhaps it would completely trade domain spells for the exchange.

While the game internally thinks that it would be too hellish of a combination, I actually don't think it would be that bad at all. It would simply be a more survivable wizard with none of the BS about acquiring spells. If you need it, just meditate and switch out your stuff.

It could be called the cultist. a more arcane variant cleric. Would play 10/10.

Ashtagon
2015-02-03, 02:07 PM
Intriguing! But, as it's from Dragon, I have to ask, how does it balance?

If you're okay with the core wizard, why are you worried about how Dragon material balances? :smallwink:

Xerlith
2015-02-03, 02:08 PM
The answer is no.

An arcane variant would have to allow spell casting in armor, get medium BAB, Full casting, and something similar to turning if not simply keeping the mechanic.

I'm pretty sure that's Dread Necromancer. Minus BAB, but that's rectified by taking Arcane Disciple War.

An interesting experiment I always wanted to try was taking the cleric, and giving him the wiz/sorcerer spell list. No access to cleric spells, but the wiz/sorc list cast as divine spells. Perhaps it would completely trade domain spells for the exchange.

While the game internally thinks that it would be too hellish of a combination, I actually don't think it would be that bad at all. It would simply be a more survivable wizard with none of the BS about acquiring spells. If you need it, just meditate and switch out your stuff.

It could be called the cultist. a more arcane variant cleric. Would play 10/10.

So... All the Wizard's brokenness, but now more uncontrollable due to knowing ALL the spells and not being in any way restricted by the DM? That's... That's basically Sha'ir, you know.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-03, 03:24 PM

"That rolling paper for that cigarette you're rolling looks a little strange"

"It's a scroll of Gate"

"..."

Vhaidara
2015-02-03, 03:27 PM
"That rolling paper for that cigarette you're rolling looks a little strange"

"It's a scroll of Gate"

"..."

Yep. I actually ran this on a wizard: He learned spells by burning spells and spellbooks.

Also, what happens when this guy hangs out with Old Man Henderson and smokes a joint rolled from a page of the Necronomicon?

ExLibrisMortis
2015-02-03, 03:28 PM

Uh, Sha'ir (Dragon Magazine Compendium p. 51) fits that pretty well? They even get domains and everything, and the fluff says they barter their spells from the elemental genie overlords, which are the closest thing to spell-granting entities you're going to get this side of the arcane/divine border.

DMVerdandi
2015-02-03, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that's Dread Necromancer. Minus BAB, but that's rectified by taking Arcane Disciple War.
Granted

So... All the Wizard's brokenness, but now more uncontrollable due to knowing ALL the spells and not being in any way restricted by the DM? That's... That's basically Sha'ir, you know.
Knowing the spells isn't what makes wizard broken. In fact, I wouldn't say it's a broken class at all. Now, some of the spells are broken, but taking those spells from the list is far more powerful than limiting the capacity of getting the spells without taking the broken ones away.