PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Monk Class

Vexic
2015-02-03, 03:05 PM
I am a amateur to pathfinder/D&D and I need advice creating a fun character. My DM wants to finish an old campaign we started years ago.

Here are the rules:

1) Start at lv 18
2) Must have at least 9 lvs in original class (Monk).

I know nothing of monks or what best fits them.

I like to play an overpowered/broken character preferably in damage but am willing to keep my options open. I am currently thinking of specializing in unarmed strike and/or fist weapons but am will to change. I want to be an up close combatant.

So far there is a Arcane Archer that specializes in firing multiple arrows and a druid bloodrager. I know for certain the final boss is a sorcerer.

Any advice for an OP build and how to use it effectivily is most appreiated

Flickerdart
2015-02-03, 03:07 PM
So are you using a D&D Monk or a (much less awful) Pathfinder monk?

nedz
2015-02-03, 03:21 PM
Also you'd get more responses if you posted this in the 3.5/PF sub-forum

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-03, 04:29 PM
Well you've got a tough row to hoe.

I'm not sure if it's possible to be overpowered in 3.5 or pathfinder through damage, plus you're stuck with. 9 monk levels.

I guess I'd go monk 9/ur priest 1/sacred fist 10.

Grab travel devotion and buff yourself for decent damage. You'll have 9th level cleric casting so you won't be totally in trouble with all those monk levels.

Dromuthra
2015-02-03, 04:38 PM
How much gold do you have and are your starting items predetermined? If not, I'd recommend a custom item of 1/day Greater Mighty Wallop CL 20. It should cost 1800*20*3*1/5 (21,600 gp). A single command word activation will keep it active for 20 hours (longer than your adventuring day) and boost your base fist damage by 4 size categories. If you have the unarmed damage of a 9th level monk, that means your fists will be hitting for 6d8 damage each.

Well you've got a tough row to hoe.

I'm not sure if it's possible to be overpowered in 3.5 or pathfinder through damage, plus you're stuck with. 9 monk levels.

You can through Power Attack optimization, but that won't work for that monk build. Agreed on the tough row part though.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-03, 05:12 PM
You can through Power Attack optimization, but that won't work for that monk build. Agreed on the tough row part though.

How on earth can you shapechange, create demiplanes and simulacrum using power attack?

j_spencer93
2015-02-03, 05:18 PM
you know those three things are always brought up, and really do not seem them as fun, just broken to the extreme. BUT that is my opinion. Now to the matter at hand the Ur priest idea sounds good.

Rubik
2015-02-03, 05:21 PM
There're several monk builds here, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15474863#post15474863) but I, of course, like the one I linked to the most. You can even use one of the other builds and use my item optimization in conjunction.

Honestly, I think monks make use of intelligent WBL optimization more than most any other martial-type or skillmonkey-type class.

Snowbluff
2015-02-03, 05:23 PM
I think for starters you want Decisive Strike and Invisible Fist. Ur Priest Sacred Fist and Rubik's Warforged Monk are pretty good.

Decisive Strike Monk with Iaijutsu Master could deal some good damage on single hit.

I like Shadow Sun Ninja. I'll post a build in a moment.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-03, 05:36 PM
you know those three things are always brought up, and really do not seem them as fun, just broken to the extreme. BUT that is my opinion. Now to the matter at hand the Ur priest idea sounds good.

The OP was asking for a build that was broken though huge damage. I posted three things that can be broken. Where does fun come into the equation?

eggynack
2015-02-03, 06:04 PM
you know those three things are always brought up, and really do not seem them as fun, just broken to the extreme. BUT that is my opinion.
They're just the first three broken things power attack can't do. The full list is ridiculously long, and likely includes some quantity of things you'd perceive as fun. If it has no such things, then it seems your desire and that of the OP are acting at cross purposes.

sideswipe
2015-02-04, 07:24 AM
hmmm, not too broken but im a fan of (if i have to use 9 monk levels)
cloistered cleric 1/passive way, invisible fist, decisive strike, holy strike, wall walker monk 9/ factotum 8/ (anything 2)

feats - (free you get combat expertise, improved trip and improved feint)
kung fu genious (monk abilities run off int not wis), travel devotion and knowledge devotion (trade a domain for one of them), knockdown, a tonne of fonts of inspiration and not a lot else. (you could take some feats to increase reach or use items).

use your clever wealth to get huge damage on unarmed up to stupid. (6D8 was said earlier and im sure a bit higher is easy)
use travel devotion to move up to move up to your opponents (more uses per day due to turn attempts and opportunistic piety (it works))
hit them with a full round double damage strike, activate trip, trip them get a free double damage strike, use cunning surge get more at all double damage.

boom profit. feel free to tweak as it can be improved massively.

Vexic
2015-02-10, 08:00 PM
Also you'd get more responses if you posted this in the 3.5/PF sub-forum

I am new to this forum still seeing how everything works.

Thanks for the tip though

JohnStone
2015-02-10, 08:06 PM
Look at this its a bit outdated but the basic principles apply to any monk

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/treantmonk-s-guide-to-monks