PDA

View Full Version : A magic Harpoon

Outback
2015-02-03, 05:47 PM
What would be good magical properties for a Magic Harpoon? I imagine returning would be really good, for one. I'm not at all "versed" in all the magic properties of magic weapons, other than returning (as Wulfgar's hammer does that, in the Drizzt novels). Returning would be double effective, as any harpoon removed from the enemy's body without a Heal 15 check does the same damage it did going in. For a brutal half-orc Orc-hunter (yes, hunting Orcs) I think it would make one hell of a weapon.

Also slightly related (as its ranged weapons) can I shoot a Short bow twice in one round if my BAB is +6/+1?

Surpriser
2015-02-03, 06:02 PM
Depending on the reading, Returning might not work at all on a harpoon, as the projectile may not be able to return freely if it is stuck to the target. Also, the enchantment can be used on thrown weapons only, and the harpoon is a projectile weapon.
In addition, the main point of using a harpoon is to reel something in or at least keep it from escaping. If you just want the extra damage, use barbed arrows.

Stunning would be a nice property, as stunned targets will be easy to pull close to you.

For your other question: Yes, you can use all your attacks from a high BaB with a bow, as drawing ammunition and "loading" the bow are free actions. This does not work with a crossbow.

EDIT: Was thinking about the wrong kind of harpoon. Thanks to Toilet Cobra for pointing it out. The point about being stuck still stands, though.

Toilet Cobra
2015-02-03, 06:08 PM
What would be good magical properties for a Magic Harpoon? I imagine returning would be really good, for one. I'm not at all "versed" in all the magic properties of magic weapons, other than returning (as Wulfgar's hammer does that, in the Drizzt novels). Returning would be double effective, as any harpoon removed from the enemy's body without a Heal 15 check does the same damage it did going in. For a brutal half-orc Orc-hunter (yes, hunting Orcs) I think it would make one hell of a weapon.

Also slightly related (as its ranged weapons) can I shoot a Short bow twice in one round if my BAB is +6/+1?

It seems like your best bet is probably just adding pluses to get the damage up, as it increases the DC your enemy has to avoid getting it stuck in his chest. Boring but effective.

Does a harpoon trigger damage if you just pull it out of the guy with the rope it's attatched to? I read the rules and this seems somewhat murky to me.

Edit: Surpriser, I think you are looking at a harpoon launcher, which is a ship mounted weapon. The harpoon weapon itself is just a piercing weapon with a 30ft range increment.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-03, 06:12 PM
Aptitude, then take the boomerang ricochet and boomerang daze feats.

Outback
2015-02-03, 06:14 PM
It's not mentioned pulling the harpoon out via the attached rope, tho I imagine it could do the trick. I'm thinking Harpoon because it's a big brutal spear you throw into an Orc's chest. Also, it's specifically the Arctic Harpoon, from the Forgotten Realms Races of Faerun that I'm looking at. And I plan to throw it (how else do these things work?)

Also thanks on the bow thing. Clears that up for me.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-03, 06:26 PM

That is horrifying, and awesome.

Bruenin
2015-02-03, 07:33 PM

^This, plus returning if you're not going the Blade Storm blade route to get lightning ricochet.
Collision is a +2 while returning and aptitude are +1 but it adds 5 damage and since it's a flat bonus it'll be doubled when your harpoon goes through enemies either due to the aptitude or from the final return.

Magebane is also an insanely powerful +1 that gives +2d6 against anything that has spells, the ability to cast spells, or spell-like abilities. But then again, Magebane is good for everything, not just a harpoon, only downside in this case is that it might not get as much benefit from the doubling. The basic +2 gets doubled to +4 and then the +2d6 on average will add 6 more damage, so it's about on par with collision but has a slightly less restrictive list of applicants. The fact that it can do more damage if it feels like it and gives bonus to hit AND is much cheaper put it way above though.

Seruvius
2015-02-03, 08:08 PM
Well depending on what you want to do with the orcs (take out 1 big bugger or hunt multiple) I would also recommend Fleshgrinding from BOVD. +2 cost and until they succeed on dc20 str check it stays in them for up to 5 rounds, doing damage each round as if you had hit them with the weapon. I imagine some sort of cruelly barbed harpoon rotating like a propeller in the chest of the unfortunate Orc.

DMVerdandi
2015-02-03, 08:14 PM
morphing and SIZING:smallbiggrin:

Going Ahab.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-03, 08:26 PM
I also recommend finding a way to get GMW cast on it do you can fill up as many pluses as possible on cool enhancements instead of generic +5.

EDIT: also, +1 on the Magebane and collision suggestions. They're my go to enhancements if there isn't something else I desperately need.

Hand_of_Vecna
2015-02-03, 09:43 PM
I've always been unclear on how interesting properties interact with the natural properties of harpoons.

Does returning count as pulling the weapon out inflicting damage? Does it disappear giving the victim a free pass? Does it leave a head on a tether in the victim and spawn a new head and tether when it appears in its owner's hand?

The first two questions with the ability makes it hit everything in a line. Is it "removed" safely or with damage from all but the last target? Does it blow through all the targets trailing a barbed tether that acts like a normal harpoon left inside?

Does Splitting tether the victim twice?

Bruenin
2015-02-03, 10:07 PM
I've always been unclear on how interesting properties interact with the natural properties of harpoons.

Does returning count as pulling the weapon out inflicting damage? Does it disappear giving the victim a free pass? Does it leave a head on a tether in the victim and spawn a new head and tether when it appears in its owner's hand?

The first two questions with the ability makes it hit everything in a line. Is it "removed" safely or with damage from all but the last target? Does it blow through all the targets trailing a barbed tether that acts like a normal harpoon left inside?

Does Splitting tether the victim twice?

I don't think you can get splitting, it says it can only be applied to a crossbow, bow, arrow or bolt. Unless there was an errata somewhere I just checked the champions of ruin book

Rubik
2015-02-03, 10:59 PM
Exit wounds is nice. The harpoon passes through everything in a straight line, hitting everything at a cumulative penalty until you miss. Explosive is also nice, dealing damage to everything in a radius around your target (Reflex half). Combine the two for a line of explosions. Now just think about how those would interact with a harpoon with the manyfang property...

Outback
2015-02-04, 03:04 AM
*goes look up all these properties*

Rubik
2015-02-04, 03:26 AM
Oh, I just realized: the explosive weapon property can only be applied to ammo. Sorry. Still, exit wounds and manyfang are VERY nice.

Outback
2015-02-04, 03:54 AM
But not in the Magic Item Compendium tho. A reference where these properties can be found would be GREATLY appreciated!

Necroticplague
2015-02-04, 04:01 AM
But not in the Magic Item Compendium tho. A reference where these properties can be found would be GREATLY appreciated!

Manyfanged is a property of reverse-engineering the Manyfanged Dagger, from Serpent Kingdoms, and Exit Wounds is from Complete Warrior.

Outback
2015-02-04, 04:03 PM
I like Exit Wounds *evilgrin* I think it would work very nicely with Explosive *evilergrin*

atemu1234
2015-02-04, 04:05 PM

Sources please.

Also: I AM NOT A FREAKY FISH GUY!

Rubik
2015-02-04, 04:11 PM
Exit wounds on a shuriken-wielding d2 crusader would be...

...terrifying.

Necroticplague
2015-02-04, 04:51 PM
Exit wounds on a shuriken-wielding d2 crusader would be...

...terrifying.

The relevant stance only works for melee weapons. You' need a spiked gauntlet and Bloodstorm Blade levels to throw it like that while getting the stance benefit(of course, then you get the "throw an attack at everyone withing 30 feet ability....).

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-04, 05:12 PM
Sources please.

Also: I AM NOT A FREAKY FISH GUY!

Boomerang daze and boomerang ricochet in races of Eberron.

Aptitude weapon property is in ToB. I'm away from my books right now so I can't give you exact page numbers.

...did I call you a fish guy?

Rubik
2015-02-04, 05:14 PM
...did I call you a fish guy?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gnmh8oRlfE