PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5E Initiative House Rule

Retro Gamer
2015-02-03, 07:06 PM
Here's an interesting take on initiative I'd like to try out. It'd work better in face-to-face than PBP I think, but I like the sound of it. Any thoughts?

http://tribality.com/2014/12/19/dd-5e-combat-initiative/

Talyn
2015-02-03, 07:31 PM
Frankly, it seems really unnecessarily complicated.

Why not try the variant initiative rules that they provide in the DMG (where you declare your action first, then roll for initiative with modifiers, every round)? Adds a little verisimilitude and chaos to your combat, makes teamwork more important, and is significantly less complicated than the rules linked to.

MaxWilson
2015-02-03, 08:29 PM

Why not try the variant initiative rules that they provide in the DMG (where you declare your action first, then roll for initiative with modifiers, every round)? Adds a little verisimilitude and chaos to your combat, makes teamwork more important, and is significantly less complicated than the rules linked to.

Note: you don't actually have to roll your initiative every round. You can equivalently roll the outcomes first, and then only roll initiative if it matters. For example, if I declare that I'm going to hit the giant with a power attack (-5/+10), and the giant is going to hit me, then we both roll our attacks/damage. As long as neither of us dies, it doesn't even matter who hit first, so you don't roll initiative that round. Similarly, if I'm going to kill the giant this round, and he's going to miss, there's no point in rolling initiative. You only need to roll if we're both going to hit and he's going to die (or I'm going to die), in order to see whether he got his hit off before dying.

Safety Sword
2015-02-03, 08:32 PM
Note: you don't actually have to roll your initiative every round. You can equivalently roll the outcomes first, and then only roll initiative if it matters. For example, if I declare that I'm going to hit the giant with a power attack (-5/+10), and the giant is going to hit me, then we both roll our attacks/damage. As long as neither of us dies, it doesn't even matter who hit first, so you don't roll initiative that round. Similarly, if I'm going to kill the giant this round, and he's going to miss, there's no point in rolling initiative. You only need to roll if we're both going to hit and he's going to die (or I'm going to die), in order to see whether he got his hit off before dying.

It absolutely matters when you have multiple characters attacking targets and they all have bonus actions and reactions to consider. It matters most in the first round of combat (especially for rogues!).

pwykersotz
2015-02-03, 09:47 PM
I implemented a group initiative fix, I either got it from the books or these boards somewhere, I don't remember where.

Monsters roll initiative as a group, using the highest modifier.
Players roll initiative separately.
Those who rolled before the monsters go.
The monsters go.
All players go.
etc.

Actions happen whenever someone decides to go. Three players can move, another can chug a potion, then one can try to trip a monster, and on success the others can wallop him with advantage for being prone. It lets the players work together, and people who are having a tough time deciding what to do can take their time without slowing down game. It encourages group strategy and allows for the monsters to do the same. It feels more free flowing and fun overall. And the rules for doing it are super simple so there's no learning curve.

It has been nothing but an improvement to my game. :smallsmile:

Retro Gamer
2015-02-04, 08:41 PM

Not complicated at all, I don't think.

Players can either choose to go before the monsters or after the monsters. If they choose to go after they gain advantage on their action.

A lot less complicated that rolling initiative every round.

Safety Sword
2015-02-04, 09:26 PM
I'm still failing to see how any of these systems are better than determining initiative once at the start of combat and running in descending order...

Theodoxus
2015-02-04, 10:22 PM
I'm still failing to see how any of these systems are better than determining initiative once at the start of combat and running in descending order...

Better? Meh - but keeping the same initiative order the whole combat breaks with my sense of reality. Especially when the first 3 combats, the super dexy rogue keeps going first, and then on the fourth combat, rolls a 2 and goes last. "Oh, I wasn't paying attention, apparently" gets old.

I doubt I'll use anything other than PHB core for initiative, because my players are pretty stodgy when it comes to different things - but I kinda groove on the 'just let it flow' combat style that rewards potential danger.

Far too often, the players jockey for initiative order anyway - the rogue will delay until the wizard AOEs the baddies, then waits for the fighter to get in position so he can sneak. The ranger always delays so he can get use of Colossus if he gets high init... this would alleviate all of that, without really breaking anything.

Hmm... on second thought, maybe I'll bring it up after all. The worst they can do is nix it.

Kane0
2015-02-05, 12:06 AM
Monsters roll initiative as a group, using the highest modifier.
Players roll initiative separately.
Those who rolled before the monsters go.
The monsters go.
All players go.
etc.

It has been nothing but an improvement to my game. :smallsmile:

That actually sounds really good, I might try this out.

Also, why isn't your prof bonus added to initiative? Seems an odd thing to leave out.

Safety Sword
2015-02-05, 12:09 AM

Also, why isn't your prof bonus added to initiative? Seems an odd thing to leave out.

Nearly everyone would add the same bonus all the time, so it doesn't modify their position in the initiative order. It's a useless thing that just scales up initiative for no consequence.

MeeposFire
2015-02-05, 01:40 AM

Because clearly you are not proficient at it. Granted being a champion fighter, bard, etc can make you partially proficient at it so it is not out of the question for somebody to be proficient at it at some point.

Totema
2015-02-05, 12:58 PM
There would be some major consequences for abilities that rely on a particular character taking its first turn before its enemies do. Right now, all that I'm aware of that cares about that is the Assassin's assassinate ability - unless the players are surprised, they will always be able to get advantage on their first turn attack, while enemies won't. I guess that's not too major really, but watch out for things that pop up as the system ages.