PDA

View Full Version : Totally stuck on picking a feat

Invader
2015-02-03, 10:32 PM
Had to scrap the the DMM quicken build because I couldn't get the undeath domain for the extra turn attempts so I went back to the original archer build but I'm completely stuck for my last feat.

I have:
Precise shot -domain
Point blank shot 1st
Weapon focus longbow - domain
Zen archery-human

I can't find anything for my 3rd lvl feat that's appealing at all. Ideally something that makes my archery better but I've poured through feats and handbooks and I just can't find a good fit. Dex is only 12 so that limits me a bit and no PF deadly aim bc apparently it's OP :smallannoyed:

5th lvl so 3 BaB and an 18 str.

I'm also looking for a good prestige class that helps both archer and cleric (or hurts either as little as possible).
Suggestions?

Keld Denar
2015-02-03, 10:39 PM
Rapid Shot is pretty solid, but requires a Dex of 13+, so maybe after 4th level. 2 shots instead of 1 when you are low level is awesome, the attack penalty is minor.

The problem with Zen Archery is it doesn't completely eliminate the need for Dex...

As a cleric, you have great fort and will saves. I'm always a huge fan of Quick Recovery from Lords of Madness. You can shake off nearly every debilitating negative effect, even if the original doesn't allow a save. No prereqs, but you should only really take it if you have a decent will save, and a good fort save helps as well.

theUnearther
2015-02-03, 10:40 PM
Travel domain, to stay out of the way?

Martial study: the swift jump thing, for the same reason?

Maybe psionic shot, for a bit more damage? It's apparently semipopular. You'd need some power points though.

Elric VIII
2015-02-03, 10:44 PM
Knowledge Devotion is pretty good if you're a cloistered cleric. Requires 5 ranks in a knowledge skill if you don't trade a domain for it.

While it doesn't expressly help with archery, divine defiance is probably my cleric equivalent of natural spell (i.e. - take it). It lets you spend TU attempts to counter spells as immediate actions, thus allowing you to shut down enemy casters while still attacking.

Divine might (from complete warrior, not the diety feat) lets you spend a TU attempt to add Cha to damage for 1 round, although it does require PA, so it's not easy for an archer to qualify.

Seclora
2015-02-03, 10:48 PM
Rapid Shot. If you're going for archery, go for rapid shot.

Also, even if you're not doing DMM: Persist, Extend is still a really good Metamagic, especially if you're planning on playing with weapons. Those longer buffs can really come in handy.

Invader
2015-02-03, 10:58 PM
Rapid Shot. If you're going for archery, go for rapid shot.

Also, even if you're not doing DMM: Persist, Extend is still a really good Metamagic, especially if you're planning on playing with weapons. Those longer buffs can really come in handy.

This was my original choice but it just feels meh. I know it's a strong feat but it doesn't feel like what I'm going for.

I should have added we're actually 5th lvl now so 3 BaB and 18 str, I'll add it to the OP.

What about good prestige classes that benefit both archer and cleric?

Troacctid
2015-02-03, 11:15 PM
How about Craft Wondrous Item? Clerics are great at crafting, and it's a nice thing to do if you have downtime. Even nicer if you're using the PF rules for it and it's super overpowered and stuff.

Keld Denar
2015-02-03, 11:17 PM
There aren't a lot of good PrCs for cleric archer. I forget if Seeker of the Misty Isle is full casting or not. Sacred Exorcist is pretty easy to qualify for, is 3/4 BAB, and has some decent perks.

Vinyl Scratch
2015-02-03, 11:20 PM
If I'm just plain stuck on choosing a feat, I tend to go for Improved Initiative. It's at least ok for almost any character ever.

DMVerdandi
2015-02-03, 11:32 PM
Don't elemental domains grant turning?
I don't see why you can't use those to fuel turning feats.
Similar abilities interact with each other feat wise.

Extra turning and such feats work with elemental turning, and you can turn with a rebuke, so RAI you should be allowed to use divine metamagic with other forms of turning.
I know Divine metamagic says turn undead, but one can use rage feats for the alternative types of rage as well, so that should be ruled by likeness with similar feat/ability interaction.

Flickerdart
2015-02-03, 11:35 PM
I don't see why you can't use those to fuel turning feats.
Because they specify they only work with Turn/Rebuke Undead. It's pretty bulletproof, RAW and RAI.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-03, 11:56 PM
Extend Spell is still decent, especially if you have aspirations for DMM: Persistent.

Switch to Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric), trade your free Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion.

DMVerdandi
2015-02-04, 01:03 AM
Because they specify they only work with Turn/Rebuke Undead. It's pretty bulletproof, RAW and RAI.

tch. Fine.
Dip into Death Delver then

Invader
2015-02-04, 03:02 PM
There aren't a lot of good PrCs for cleric archer. I forget if Seeker of the Misty Isle is full casting or not. Sacred Exorcist is pretty easy to qualify for, is 3/4 BAB, and has some decent perks.

SotMI is 8/10 so it's not to bad it just doesnt offer a lot of flavor. Basically give up two caster levels for two domains and a few average SLAs. Def good for a 1 lvl dip for the travel domain.

I still haven't happened upon anything better for a cleric archer though.

At this point I have no designs to go DMM anything. I might just get my Dex up a point and take rapid shot if nothing else catches my eye.

Zaq
2015-02-04, 03:09 PM
If you're willing to lose one caster level, Prestige Ranger (if it's available) can let you get those tasty Ranger spells on your class list, so you get goodies like Hunter's Mercy, Hunter's Eye, and so on.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-04, 03:26 PM
Seeker of the Misty Isle is only good for one or four levels. You can pick up Ruathar from Races of the Wild to help meet its skill prerequisites.

Divine Oracle is good for four levels, and is still decent if you get all ten. You can get its feat prerequisite by visiting the Frog God's Fane in Complete Scoundrel.

Contemplative is superb for finishing out a build.

Paragnostic Apostle is also quite useful, but only get as many levels as the number of abilities you want to gain from it.

Invader
2015-02-04, 05:39 PM
I need to convince my DM to allow all of ordained champions abilities work with ranged ones instead.