PDA

View Full Version : multstaged fight

j_spencer93
2015-02-03, 11:24 PM
for a multistaged fight, which works better;

having the NPC gain a template during a set period, gaining all of its abilities in that moment but having been max level the entire fight.

or

having the character start lower level, jumping to a predetermined and stated level with additional template applied?

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-03, 11:28 PM
I would have the two forms built as separate monsters (or characters or whatever it is that's changing forms) and once the party knocks the thing down to a certain amount of hp you switch it out for the other build completely.

Tell them it had polymorph and heal contingencies set upon it.

j_spencer93
2015-02-03, 11:35 PM
two separate builds might actually work better here now that i am looking at it. on that same note, my PCs know its more of an Anime style campaign so it won't surprise them it heals.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-03, 11:55 PM
Perfect! I only suggested the contingent spell thing in case they asked questions but if they're gonna be on board already then even better.

What sorts of ideas do you have for the two different forms?

Demidos
2015-02-04, 12:05 AM
Honestly, it depends on the template and level, but as the DM, wouldn't you rather do less work and just add the template...? :smalltongue:

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 12:06 AM
Well one is a agile sword fighter, while when reveals his true demon form he is a powerful clawlock.

Kinda based on ulquiorra in looks and attitude, and is a Warlock 5, Monk 5, Mortal Hunter 10 (or similar build just working on base idea, will be refining it tonight).

Demidos
2015-02-04, 12:32 AM
Ah, based off ulquiorra.

Well you could just take the paragon template, half the bonuses, ditch the sword, and call it a day. :smallbiggrin:
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Paragon_Creature_%28Epic_Template%29

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-04, 12:32 AM
Well one is a agile sword fighter, while when reveals his true demon form he is a powerful clawlock.

Kinda based on ulquiorra in looks and attitude, and is a Warlock 5, Monk 5, Mortal Hunter 10 (or similar build just working on base idea, will be refining it tonight).

Just googled him. That's one sad lookin fella. He totes looks like he's got the half fiend template in some of the pictures.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 12:41 AM
hmmm, still wanted it to be three stages (actually that isn't correct entirely), but decided how i am going to do it. Now this isn't supposed to be him just a ingame character with similar concept and look.

A level 10 build representing him unreleased.

A agile sword fighter, not really much of a challenge but still a decent fighter. Paragon Human or something weaker, it doesn't fit to well at the level. He does do alot of slips and stuff so maybe warblade?

Level 15ish when he released Murciélago.

Half-fiend Paragon human. I do not know classes yet, thinking of keeping the warblade idea but advancing them some.

Level 20 build for segunda etapa.

Corrupted Half-fiend Paragon Human, allowing corrupted to be applied although normally can not. Warlock X, Monk X, Mortal Hunter 8 (maybe 10), with a clawlock build who throws vile lances. Actually i may just drop the warlock/monk idea, but mortal hunter fits way to well to ignore.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 12:46 AM
Actually if someone can give me a good build, following the level guid lines and template acquisitions stated above i would appreciate it. Warlock doesn't really fit to well, either does monk. Mortal hunter does really well, and actually the fighting style would really match warblade/swordsage idk which yet.

I would like mortal hunter feat, and have him focused on vile damage. idk why but i really like the idea of dealing vile damage with him.

How about Warlock/unarmed swordsage? Would that be a bit stronger and more versatile without being to threatening to around tier 4-3 players? I like the thunderlance spell, and it fits the spears thrown by the manga character very closely, but i think a caster would make him to powerful for my players.

Demidos
2015-02-04, 02:35 AM
You coooooould do Totemist, but it'll be a lot to read if you dont already know the system. If you refluff most of the attacks early on as sword attacks and later on as claws, it would fit quite well.

For the Sonido etc., a few items might help
Anklets of Transposition (1.4k) allow you to teleport 10 feet as a swift action 2/day, gets you out of grapples.
There's a pair of boots in the MiC (~6k) that allow you to teleport 20 feet as a move action 5/day.
Shadow Cloak (Drow of the Underdark, 6k), allows you to immediate action teleport 10 feet 3/day, allowing you to dodge attacks and targeted spells.

That sort of mobility both can help your boss last longer against a large party and have the mobility to keep them on their toes.

In general I would warn you that paragon, while mostly just boosting numbers, is still EXTREMELY strong, even if you just give him half the bonuses it should give. Use with caution.

May I ask what level/power level your party is playing at? It seems odd to have them fight a CR 20 (Paragon is more of a +10 CR thing, if that) and also a CR 32 in the same battle...

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 02:41 AM
they will be fighting him over the course of the campaign, with this NPC really not taking them seriously and stay in his first form until dropped to about 50% health or until he completes their first encounter. Similar with the second, but its him attacking their party to slay an NPC, if he is wounded to the same mark he will change again (or the first time). In the third encounter they will be level 20, but no fullcasters hence why i avoided using a caster. In the last battle he will more then likely just skip straight to his last form, since the PCs have managed to track him this far.
Also, in the last battle they are stopping him from becoming a demon lord (lord story, you would have to be in the campaign to understand).

I am a little afraid that even at level 20 with the paragon template he might prove to powerful; he will be facing a stalker/swashbuckler build, a warlock build with an uncertain PRC path yet, and a Holy warrior type character without a set build but specifically designed to slay demons/devils.

I think the Unarmed Swordsage, Warlock build should do nicely...maybe. Idk. warlock could give me the spear thing he does, but thunderlance is a much much better representation. Unarmed damage and maneuverability are handled by swordsage.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 02:52 AM
However i think i am straying to far towards matching the manga character now. Need to get back to similar idea not identically lol.
Mortal hunter i think isn't really needed, the class has little to add.

Warlock 6
Swordsage 6
something 8
Ideas?

For eldritch blast, it can represent quick blast (bala), while a maximized, empowered, corrupt, vile eldritch blast (cero) would be my main blast while also having more then solid melee.
I really want to focus on the unholy and vile parts more then anything else.

Demidos
2015-02-04, 02:54 AM
Perhaps too strong then, yes.
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061207a&page=3
This tacked on to a regular warlock would boost the power level quite considerably. There are ways to get around the con damage, if you'd like.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 03:00 AM
I know of hellfire warlock. I like its idea, except for someone wishing to become a demon lord using a prince of hell's power seems a little odd.
One of the NPC's minions is a hexblade while another a binder (with vestiges from dungeon 148, and dragon 357).

A fear Aura would be nice atleast in last form, flight with wings, a energy beam attack, a spear or lance spell/invocation, Damage reduction and regeneration. Decent at melee with above average stats kind of a long order to fullfill.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 04:20 AM
stage 1;
half-fiend drow human, drow warlock 4, unarmed swordsage 2, demonbinder 4
using an online poison and the draw ACF for warlock i can now use a poison that will make those effected mortals (literally its ability), few manuevers add a little versatility. starting a clawlock like build.

stage 2;
corrupted half-fiend drowhuman; drow warlock 4, unarmed swordsage 2, demonbinder 4, mortal hunter 5
increased eldritch blast, some demon binding abilities that are nice, clawlock build starts to be really good, even able to throw a eldritch blast at -5 after my attack if the ACF doesn't allow poison with eldritch claws. melee now deals vile damage also.

stage 3;
corrupted half-fiend drowhuman; drow warlock 4, unarmed swordsage 2, demonbinder 7, mortal hunter 7
basically same as before but all abilities are stronger. I am still debating the paragon template, actually realize i need a way to count him as a demon or tanarii for the sake of story and the demon lord template.

nevermind the drow part, i thought it let you apply a poison to eldritch blast but NVM. IS there a feat or something that allows that?

Demidos
2015-02-04, 04:28 AM
A fear Aura would be nice atleast in last form
, flight with wings
, a energy beam attack,
a spear or lance spell/invocation,
Damage reduction and regeneration.
Decent at melee with above average stats kind of a long order to fullfill.

Frightful aura -- http://kmalloy.cloudapp.net/dndtools.eu/feats/draconomicon--92/frightful-presence--3261/index.html
Dragonborn or Raptoran or Unseelie Fey (template +0)
Warlock fills in pretty well here. If it needs to be stronger, toss in hellfire and bloodlines
Warlock fills in pretty well here. If it needs to be stronger, toss in hellfire and bloodlines
Mineral Warrior + Feral/Minor Shapeshift
Half Minotaur, refluff as needed

Mineral Half Minotaur Feral Unseelie (3) Human Warlock 1/Binder 1/Anima Mage 10/Hellfire Warlock 3/Crusader 2/Bloodlines 3
Total of ECL 23, but the 3 LA can be bought off, so it would work even as a 20th level regular character.

Perks -- Great physical stats, DR, flight, fast healing out of combat, great Eldritch blast damage, IL of 12 for some nice manuveurs, and some nifty abilities from unseelie and binder.

...pretty decent, i'd say. If invocations count for minor shapeshift, you can also get 20 temp hp/round at 20th, which is effectively fast healing 20 while in combat.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 04:29 AM
hmmm that is a good build. Lol not even lying that is actually good. Let me write it all down and see how i like it compared to what i am working on at the moment.

Demidos
2015-02-04, 04:39 AM
Heh, thanks. Just remember that the mineral warrior template is applied before the others so you dont lose your flight and you'll need a way to qualify for the anima mages' spellcasting. I know there's some way with feats, but i'm a bit hazy on that part. Honestly, since its an NPC (or even as a PC) i'd probably just waive the requirements for the warlock, its not like the warlock is terribly powerful anyway.

Edit: If you really want it to be 10000% percent RAW, i believe a primordial half-giant's invisibility at will should work, just substitute it for the half minotaur, but your players may like the new version even less...:smalltongue:

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 05:03 AM
lol ya that is what i am trying to compare at the moment, its strength's compared to who it will be up against.

DMVerdandi
2015-02-04, 05:14 AM
Hmm... Ulluquiorra huh...
Personally, I would use gestalt. As the DM, you have the ability to do that, and even use it on NPC's, even if it is restricted from player use.

An interesting way to do it would be Eidolon//Eidolancer (Ghostwalk) After all, Hollow/Arrancar and Shinigami are all ghosts with either a positive or negative form of energy. Shinigami radiating spirit power, and Hollow absorbing it from the world around them and eating souls. Without getting to far sidetracked.

Personally, I would go Necropolitan war blade//STP Erudite. It's not like you would need a bunch of spells usable anyway.

Descorrer= Greater teleport psionic
Garganta = Astral Caravan
Sonido =Greater Dimension Jumper
Cero=Disintegrate.psionic
Cero Obscuras= Maximized Disintegrate
Hierro= Thicken Skin +Iron Body psionic
Lanzia del Relampago= Energy Lance (electricity)
Pesquisa= Detect Psionics
Murcialago = Adamantine wings + thunder lance (His regular cero lance, not L.D.R)
Segunda etapa = Adamantine wings+ thunderlance+ chasing perfection

Then for war blade maneuvers, use Diamond Mind Exclusively
Give him all the metapsionic feats (Including Persistent Power)
Double amount of PP
For his Zanpakuto, take the item familiar feat.

Should be quite the monster

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 05:33 AM
good idea but think you would blow my player's away lol. Also i am not trying to make him exactly just someone with similar abilities. actually would like more ways to get unholy damage and vile damage into this build.
NVM it doesn't work since it only uses eldritch blast damage but doesn't count as it

DMVerdandi
2015-02-04, 05:41 AM
good idea but think you would blow my player's away lol. Also i am not trying to make him exactly just someone with similar abilities. actually would like more ways to get unholy damage and vile damage into this build.
NVM it doesn't work since it only uses eldritch blast damage but doesn't count as it

Ah, gotcha.
In that case, Drop the war blade.

>
Still take Spell to power Erudite.
Maybe create a feat that gives +4 Unique powers per day, but has to be taken at level 1, and cannot be taken again.
Still take extend and persistent power.
And really, you can still obtain most of those powers above.
Necropolitan
>

And you are done.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 01:47 PM
i forgot something huge, i a trying a no fullcaster campaign (including psionics). Sorry, that would have solved the whole Erudite thing if i had mentioned it last night.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 03:54 PM
Ah, gotcha.
In that case, Drop the war blade.

>
Still take Spell to power Erudite.
Maybe create a feat that gives +4 Unique powers per day, but has to be taken at level 1, and cannot be taken again.
Still take extend and persistent power.
And really, you can still obtain most of those powers above.
Necropolitan
>

And you are done.

for higher powered campaign i think you did almost perfect honestly without cheese. only thing your missing is the resurrections lol. Honestly a warlock/wizard build, necropolitan following what you did but using magic could do resurrection pretty well with that spell that grants fiendish to an undead, just target yourself with it.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 04:29 PM
This is the final build i came up with, doesn't look to bad and i think it will decently challenge my players, actually think it will terrorize them pretty well. The ability to bind the balor looks really nice, adds some more power when needed while the other demons and some mediocre things. Really effective at hurting mortals and dealing vile damage. Thinking of pushing him into epic to finish mortal hunter just because, i do not think it actually increases his lethalness much.
He seeks to become a new demonlord, and to accomplish this he has even pledged himself to an elder evil.

Ulquiorra, Espada 4; Warlock 4, Unarmed Swordsage 2, Demonbinder 10, Mortal Hunter 4; CR 26
Chaotic Evil Corrupted Human
Medium Outsider (Evil)
Hit Dice: 108 (4d6+4, 2d8+2, 10d4+10, 4d10+4)
 Fast Healing: 10
Initiative: +10 (+1 quick to act, +5 dex, +4 feat)
Speed: 40ft; fly 40ft
Senses: Darkvision 120ft; Telepathy 100ft
Immunity: Magic Sleep, Poison, Electricity,
Resistance: acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10.
Aura: frightful presence 30ft (on a charge/attack, fewer HD shaken 1d6+ cha mod rounds, Will DC 10 + ½ cl + cha mod)
AC: 16, touch 8, flat-footed 10
(+8 natural, +5 dex, +1 wis, +2 monk)
DR: 5/+1, 1/cold iron, 6/good, 5/silver SR: 31 (11 + class level)
BAB: +12 Grapple: +17
Attacks: Cero (Eldritch Blast) +17 (8d6)
Attack: Unarmed Strike +17 (1d10+5+11 vile)
Attack: 2 claws +17 (2d6+3+11 vile)
Attack: bite +11 (1d4+1+10 vile)
Attack: Eldritch Claws +17 (1d10+8d6+2d6+5) +12 vile
Jump Attack: Eldritch Claws +19 (1d10+8d6+1d8+5+ x2) +12 vile
30ft jump: Eldritch Claws +19 (1d10 +8d6+1d8+5 x2) +12 vile + 2d6
Swordsage Martial Maneuvers (Initiator level 3): Stances- Child of Shadow, Stance of Clarity
Strikes- Sapphire Nightmare blade, Mighty Throw, Shadow Blade Technique, Wolf Fang Strike, Emerald Razor,
Boost- Wind Stride, Shadow Jaunt,
Counters- Baffling Defense
Warlock Invocations; Least- Baleful Utterance, Eldritch Glaive, Hideous Blow
Lesser- curse of despair, weighty utterance, sudden swarm
Greater- devour magic, repelling blast
Mortal Hunter Spells (CL spell level + 5): 1st level- Heartache, Unnerving Gaze
2nd level- Evil Eye, Wither Limb,
Supernatural Ability: At Will- Mortal Skin (as polymorph, any humanoid), Detect Mortal (as detect undead, but to mortals)
1/day- smite good (+HD vs good), smite mortal (wis to atk, CL x2 dmg)
Spell-like ability (CL- L): At-Will; Detect Magic
5/day- mortalbane eldritch blast (+2d6 vs mortal)
3/day- corrupt eldritch blast (evil, half damage unholy), darkness, poison,
2/day- boost violate eldritch blast (evil, half vile damage, +2 DC)
1/day- dancing lights, faerie fire, darkness, desecrate, unholy blight, contagion, suggestion,
Special Qualities: natural attack +1 die size, Disruptive attack (melee + ½ HD as vile dmg), Enhanced Power (special attacks +4 DC), Quick to Act +1, Discipline Focus (Weapon focus), Deceive Item, Demonbind (Fullround, 10 minutes), Damnation Points (15), vampire affinity +6, mortal hunting +2,
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +11, Will +16 (+2 vs enchantments) (+2 will vs spells and spell-like abilities)
Abilities: Str 21 (+5), Dex 21 (+5), Con 12 (+1), Int 17 (+3), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 20 (+5)
Skills: +12 Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), +26 Intimidate (Cha), +25 Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), +8 Knowledge (the planes) (Int), +3 Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), +24 Sense Motive (Wis), +4 Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha), +5 Knowledge (Nature) (Int), +17 Move Silently (Dex), Speak Language, +7 Hide (Dex), +7 Climb (Str), +4 Search (Wis), +4 Listen, +4 Spot,
Inventory: monk’s belt, monk’s tattoo 4, Greater Chasuble of Fell Power (+2d6 EB), gloves of eldritch admixture (1/day, +4d6 EB), bracer’s of entangling blast,
Feats: Mortalbane, practiced spellcaster, violate spell-like ability, battle jump, willing deformity, stealthy, improved unarmed strike, weapon focus, corrupt spell-like ability, weapon focus (discipline focus), corrupt spell-like ability, eldritch claws, deformity [skin], track, diving charge, vile ki strike, lightning reflexes, improved natural attack, alertness, frightful presence, improved initiative, boost spell-like ability, beast strike, vile natural attack, maximize spell-like ability, empower spell-like ability
Language: Common, Abyssal, Infernal,

Dretch (1 point): Your body becomes flabby and grotesque, and your limbs become thin and spindly.
You gain 5 temporary hit points and resistance to acid 5, cold 5, and fire 5.
Babau (2 points): A sheen of red ectoplasm covers your hands. You gain 10 temporary hit points and sneak attack +1d6 (as the rogue class feature).
In addition, you can spend 1 damnation point as a swift action to lace your eldritch blast with caustic slime, dealing an extra 5 points of acid damage.
Succubus (3 points): Small, useless black wings erupt from your back.
You gain 15 temporary hit points and the benefits of the tongues spell.
You can spend 1 damnation point as a swift action to gain a +5 competence bonus on Bluff and Diplomacy checks.
Yochlol (4 points): Your flesh takes on a slightly amorphous appearance, occasionally forming tiny vestigial tendrils that wave about as if searching for something.
You gain 20 temporary hit points, and you have a 25% chance to ignore the extra damage from a critical hit or sneak attack.
Also, you can spend one damnation point as a swift action to use gaseous form on yourself.
Bebilith (4 points): Your skin turns a dark shade of blue and your eyes redden. Six vestigial limbs that flap uselessly for the duration emerge from your ribs.
You gain 20 temporary hit points and the scent ability. You can spend 1 damnation point as a swift action to gain a climb speed equal to your land speed.
Vrock (5 points): A down of gray and white feathers covers your body. Your face twists and contorts, forming a hard beak in place of your mouth. As you move, puffs of harmless dust rise from your body.
You gain 25 temporary hit points.
In addition, you can spend 1 damnation point as a swift action to augment your eldritch blast with screeching sonic energy. A target struck by this eldritch blast takes an additional 10 points of sonic damage and becomes deafened for 5 rounds (Fort negates deafness).
Glabrezu (6 points): Your hands twist into crab-claws. You gain 30 temporary hit points and a +5 competence bonus on Bluff checks.
In addition, you can spend 1 damnation point as a swift action to gain the benefit of a true seeing spell.
Nalfeshnee (7 points): Your body swells with corruption, the skin stretching taut from the profound pressure created by the possessing fiend.
You gain 35 temporary hit points and resistance to acid 5, cold 5, and fire 5.
Additionally, you can spend 1 damnation point as a swift action to lace your eldritch blast with a nalfeshnee's smite. Non-evil targets with fewer HD than your character level who are struck by the eldritch blast are dazed for 1 round, overwhelmed by horrid visions (Will negates).
Marilith (8 points): An extra two sets of arms grow from the sides of your body, your legs fuse into a green serpent's tail, and your eyes burn with an unholy light.
You gain 40 temporary hit points.
Your original arms (if any) are your primary arms, and the new limbs are secondary limbs. You can wield extra weapons with these new limbs, but all such attacks are treated as off-hand attacks.
Also, you can spend 1 damnation point as a swift action to use one of your new limbs to fire an eldritch blast at a -5 penalty on the attack roll; you can't apply any eldritch essence or blast shape invocations (or any other modifications) to this eldritch blast.
Balor (9 points): Massive wings tear out of your back, and angry red flames wreathe your body. You gain 45 temporary hit points and a fly speed equal to your land speed (good maneuverability).
Also, you can spend 1 damnation point as a swift action to make a melee touch attack that deals fire damage equal to the damage normally dealt by your eldritch blast.

1st level- mortalbane
Flaw- practiced spellcaster
Flaw- violate spell-like ability
Background- Battle Jump
Bonus vile feat- willing deformity
Bloodline bonus: stealthy
Unarmed swordsage- improved unarmed strike
Discipline Focus- weapon focus
3rd level- corrupt spell-like ability
5th level- eldritch claws
Bonus vile feat- deformity [skin]
7th level- track