PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Hyena Totem

Ralanr
2015-02-03, 11:44 PM
I just had an idea for a animal spirit totem for barbarian.

Hyena Totem
Level 3: When you rage you begin to laugh maddeningly, causing all enemies within 30 feet that can see and/or notice you to be frightened until the end of your next turn if they do not beat the DC. The DC is 8+your proficiency modifier+your Charisma mod. If you kill a creature before the end of your turn, enemies roll with disadvantage. Enemies that cannot see or hear you, or are immune to being frightened are immune to this effect.
Level 3: When you rage you begin to laugh maddeningly, causing all enemies that see and/or notice you to be frightened for the duration of the rage if they do not beat the DC. The DC is 8+your proficiency modifier+your Charisma mod.

Level 6: You gain the power of the hyena's nose. You have advantage on perception checks that require smell and you have advantage on survival checks that use scent.

Reason: I figured that advantage on survival checks to track things made sense. Scent tracking is a big thing with a lot of hunting animals right? Or I could give darkvision.
Level 6: You gain the hunting ability of the hyena, gaining scent with a range of 30 feet. This range doubles for wounded creatures (creatures without their full hit points)

"A creature with the scent ability can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet. If it is downwind, the range is 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges.

The creature detects another creature's presence but not its specific location. Noting the direction of the scent is a move action. If the creature moves within 5 feet (1 square) of the scent's source, the creature can pinpoint the area that the source occupies, even if it cannot be seen.

A creature with the Survival skill and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Survival check to find or follow a track. A creature with the scent ability can attempt to follow tracks using Survival untrained. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10. The DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry's odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Survival skill in regards to tracking. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.

Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.

Water, particularly running water, ruins a trail for air-breathing creatures. Water-breathing creatures that have the scent ability, however, can use it in the water easily.

False, powerful odors can easily mask other scents. The presence of such an odor completely spoils the ability to properly detect or identify creatures, and the base Survival DC to track becomes 20 rather than 10.

Level 14: You are never alone. When in rage, three spectral giant hyena's form around you. As a bonus action you can command the pack where to move and what to attack. They act as a single entity, pooling their total hit points into one. They attack as one and move as one. If they are killed before your next turn, they come back at the beginning of your next turn.
In addition, the giant hyena statblock has the following changes for the spectral hyena pack:
Creature type: Fey
-135 hit points
-immunity to the frightened, charmed, poisoned, and exhaustion condition
-damage resistance; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
-Pack Tactics: The spectral hyena pack has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the hyena's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
Multiattack: The Spectral Hyenas can make three bite attacks, or sacrifice their attack in an attempt to grapple with their jaws.

Reason: The original ability was more closely tied to a story I'm writing and even then I'm not sure on it. I decided spectral hyenas, which might be broken.

Level 14: The madness takes a hold of you as your attacks become harder to predict. When you hit with an attack that allows the addition of your rage damage, you deal additional damage equal to your rage damage. Roll a d6 to determine the type of damage.
1:Acid
2:Poison
3:Cold
4:Fire
5:Lightning
6:Force

What do you all think?

Recent edit: Changed things around after a long time. I might have made the ultimate ability broken, I have no idea.

Inevitability
2015-02-04, 03:19 PM
You used quite some 3.5 jargon in there.

What exactly does 'cower in fear' constitute? Also, how does 'scent' work?

BRKNdevil
2015-02-04, 05:59 PM
while the abilities are distinct and unrelated to each other, the fluff is not. That is a nitpick, the 6th damage type is Force, but there are a few others as well, such as Thundering. The status Effect for the first ability is Frightened. PHB 290

Ralanr
2015-02-04, 07:19 PM
You used quite some 3.5 jargon in there.

What exactly does 'cower in fear' constitute? Also, how does 'scent' work?

Actually borrowed it from pathfinder (I never played 3.5)
"A creature with the scent ability can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet. If it is downwind, the range is 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges.

The creature detects another creature's presence but not its specific location. Noting the direction of the scent is a move action. If the creature moves within 5 feet (1 square) of the scent's source, the creature can pinpoint the area that the source occupies, even if it cannot be seen.

A creature with the Survival skill and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Survival check to find or follow a track. A creature with the scent ability can attempt to follow tracks using Survival untrained. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10. The DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry's odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Survival skill in regards to tracking. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.

Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.

Water, particularly running water, ruins a trail for air-breathing creatures. Water-breathing creatures that have the scent ability, however, can use it in the water easily.

False, powerful odors can easily mask other scents. The presence of such an odor completely spoils the ability to properly detect or identify creatures, and the base Survival DC to track becomes 20 rather than 10."

while the abilities are distinct and unrelated to each other, the fluff is not. That is a nitpick, the 6th damage type is Force, but there are a few others as well, such as Thundering. The status Effect for the first ability is Frightened. PHB 290

I should probably replace that with frightened. I'm really sketchy on the final ability, I know it doesn't fit (it worked more in my head cause it relates to a story I'm writing, though in retrospect that doesn't work for general) and I couldn't think of anything else. Any ideas?

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-02-05, 01:36 PM
I should probably replace that with frightened. I'm really sketchy on the final ability, I know it doesn't fit (it worked more in my head cause it relates to a story I'm writing, though in retrospect that doesn't work for general) and I couldn't think of anything else. Any ideas?

Maybe a variation on pack tactics? Gain advantage on a target that is next to an ally.

Ralanr
2015-02-05, 04:27 PM
Maybe a variation on pack tactics? Gain advantage on a target that is next to an ally.

That sounds a lot like the first wolf rage ability, except that it's near ally instead of near you (which you just said. That felt awkward to write.) Not sure if that would work as a final ability though, could be a first ability, but I like the laughing ability more.

Maybe I should swap them?

Ralanr
2015-06-14, 01:53 AM
Altered them and made the final ability more unique and related to the previous ones. Except the first one but screw it hyena's laugh and I felt that's the core rage ability. I may have made the ultimate too powerful, but I'm not sure what to do with the ultimate.