PDA

View Full Version : warlock lich?

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 04:22 AM
is there any official statement about a warlock lich? shadow casters have one, as do all casters, i even think psionics got one. Not planning on using one just curious with the way warlocks work.

Erik Vale
2015-02-04, 04:54 AM
Warlocks have a caster level and can craft magic items, therefore they can make a phylactery [in fact, they can make it at the same level as the minimum level for making a phylactery], therefore they can perform the ritual to become a liche.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 05:01 AM
cool, i was jw if it was possible.

Chronos
2015-02-04, 09:24 AM
They'd actually be delayed by one level: The caster level requirement is 11, but warlocks don't get Imbue Item until 12th. Not a big deal, though.

Thurbane
2015-02-04, 01:18 PM
Wouldn't this part cause a problem?

Each lich must make its own phylactery, which requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat. The character must be able to cast spells and have a caster level of 11th or higher. The phylactery costs 120,000 gp and 4,800 XP to create and has a caster level equal to that of its creator at the time of creation.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 01:46 PM
Thurbane that is what i was wondering. Shadowcasters technically cast spells (sorta) so their version, only mentioned slightly, makes sense. However Warlock I am not sure

Telonius
2015-02-04, 01:56 PM
Technically I don't think it would qualify. As a DM, I'd absolutely allow it. (Not like a Warlock Lich is going to be more game-breaking than a Cleric Lich). Either way, a one-level dip in a spellcasting class would fix the problem.

One big drawback to a Warlock becoming a Lich is that it would disqualify you from Hellfire Warlock.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 02:29 PM
It was literally just a thought lol nothing to be with playability, although i do wonder something. Isn't their a feat that allows you to use cha instead of con, wouldn't that work?

Psyren
2015-02-04, 02:36 PM
Wouldn't this part cause a problem?

Magical Training feat fixes that - even cantrips will satisfy the requirement.

Back in the day I had devised an NPC Warlock Lich 12 who pursued immortality so he could craft magic items for eternity. While he can make great use of his toys, he himself is pretty weak and so must rely on adventurers to fetch things for him or protect him.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 02:46 PM
working up something off of this idea now, i needed a BBEG to lead by four villains and think i just figured out what i want to do.
Anyway to wizard wizard/warlock with almost full progression in both?

Thurbane
2015-02-04, 04:31 PM
If you don't want to jump through hoops and stay straight warlock, Gravetouched Ghoul or Bone Creature aren't bad either (depending if it's for a PC or NPC).

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 04:35 PM
lol idk what is up with me but this entire team turned out to be undead, warlocks, or both lol

Troacctid
2015-02-04, 04:40 PM
working up something off of this idea now, i needed a BBEG to lead by four villains and think i just figured out what i want to do.
Anyway to wizard wizard/warlock with almost full progression in both?

Eldritch Theurge. Or since it's an NPC, just give him an equal amount of levels in Warlock and Wizard, or make him a gestalt--you're the DM, so you can do that.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 04:48 PM
never done gestalt before so i reluctant to do that but it might work. Would 4 PC's be a decent challenge for a gestalt wizard/warlock lich who uses a spell to get the fiendish template applied? Actually i want him to have brutal spells, like the one that makes the targets hand pop off and try to strangle them lol

Troacctid
2015-02-04, 04:58 PM
One against four inherently favors the four due to action economy, so you'll have a better fight if the lich has access to minionmancy. The dead walk invocation is good for this.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-04, 05:24 PM
Make him a Dry Lich, Cha to HP is nasty. Also he has 5, count them 5 "phylacterys" (ok their called Canopic Jars, but you have 5) Then for fun make him a Glaivlock and watch as your party futilely trys to beat him to death. (seriously at lvl 16 you can totally have over 200 hp on this guy)

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 05:41 PM
to the two above me, i plan on minions, actually he has three minions that must be beat to get to him which will reduce the party's resources i am sure. An he will be able to summon undead and stuff, but mainly want spells that literally disable player's, removing body parts or destroying body parts.

Chronos
2015-02-04, 05:42 PM
The "ability to cast spells" prerequisite shouldn't be a problem, since the warlock's Imbue Item ability bypasses spell prerequisites for items.

And it's not clear from the Dry Lich description what happens if some but not all of the canopic jars are destroyed: Does the dry lich need all of them, or just one of them? There's also no RAW way to get a warlock dry lich, since they can't meet the prerequisites for Walker in the Waste, and only a Walker in the Waste or an artificer can become a dry lich.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 05:46 PM
I will be using a regular lich. it's a party aiming to become a demon lord, only allying until they find a way to do it then the alliance is null.
The PC's learn of their plot and are tasked by their deities to stop them while learning investigating the appearance of a being older then this universe.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-04, 05:46 PM
The "ability to cast spells" prerequisite shouldn't be a problem, since the warlock's Imbue Item ability bypasses spell prerequisites for items.

And it's not clear from the Dry Lich description what happens if some but not all of the canopic jars are destroyed: Does the dry lich need all of them, or just one of them? There's also no RAW way to get a warlock dry lich, since they can't meet the prerequisites for Walker in the Waste, and only a Walker in the Waste or an artificer can become a dry lich.

You need to destroy all of them for the Lich to be affected, otherwise he doesnt really care. And yes by RAW he cant, but come one, an undead desert dweller imbued by the powers of hell itself, who wants to turn the entire world into a giant inhospitable wasteland? Sounds like BBEG material to me.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 05:49 PM
NEVERMIND lol reworking the lich's idea a little, he still wants to become a demonlord but he wants a plane as the one described.
The four are only in a temporary alliance with schemes to undermine each other to accomplish their goal.