PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How long do elves live in Golarion?

Dgrin
2015-02-04, 05:21 AM
So, reading some lore, I noticed something that caused me to ask that question.

If we look in Core Rulebook, elves' lifespan can reach 750 years. But consider that: Pathfinder wiki says (http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Edasseril) that Edasseril, the Realm of Envy in ancient Thassilon, was named after the elven princess Telandia Edasseril, who is the Queen of Kyonin right now.

I don't own The Dead Heart of Xin to check if it is true but if it is, some elves can live more than 10000 years, which is a bit more than 750, if I am not mistaken.
So, where's the truth? Is the Queen secretly a leShay?

Kudaku
2015-02-04, 06:09 AM
I'm honestly not sure, but I think Elves of Golarion might be a good starting point. You could also ask the "author" of Golarion, James Jacobs. He has an "AMA"-esque thread going on the Paizo forum, which can be found here (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2l7ns&page=last?Ask-James-Jacobs-ALL-your-Questions-Here). :smallsmile:

Spore
2015-02-04, 06:20 AM
If they're going the whole ancient elf magic survival nature ... thing then there are x possibilities:

1) Some talented elves are able to tap into the eternal life force of the First World. Other are not and bound to mortal lives with long lifespans (your mentioned 750 years).

2) They do the Tolkienesque immortality thing where they die when they are killed and no moment sooner. Maybe with an added condition like in the Warcraft setting where their immortality is bound to some kind of world tree (I guess the two trees in Middle Earth also would qualify for that).

3) Elves live for ~750 years. The human perspective of 750 compared to 10.000 isn't much different if perceived subjectively. Maybe it's just fluff text.

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-02-04, 07:08 AM
...perhaps the current Queen of Kyonin was named after the famous Elven Princess who inspired the Runelord of Envy and is not, in fact, the same?

Dgrin
2015-02-04, 10:00 AM
@Kudaku
I've read Elves of Golarion, there is no definitive answer but it is presumed that they can live longer

Longevity:
Elves do not suffer the ravages of age the way other races do. Though it’s still possible to read their relative ages in their faces, with the most ancient elves possessing a more handsome, ethereal look than the girlish appeal of an elf in her low hundreds, all remain unquestionably beautiful. The full measure of an elven lifespan is unknown to outsiders, but most agree that it can last for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Of course, elves can and do expire from mortal wounds, but the ones who survive a violent world for more than a dozen or so centuries tend to move on to different planets, planes, or dimensions long before anyone sees them expire from age. Elven tales say that the eldest travel to places where age is irrelevant, and call that answer enough.
I may really have to ask James Jacobs, thanks for the idea.

@Sporeegg
Yeah, I thought about all that possibilities. I want to know which one is true, hence the question.

@Abrasis Mindlef
That is possible. But it is not so likely and, what is more important, too uninteresting to be true. At least I hope so :smalltongue:

Psyren
2015-02-04, 11:00 AM
So, reading some lore, I noticed something that caused me to ask that question.

If we look in Core Rulebook, elves' lifespan can reach 750 years. But consider that: Pathfinder wiki says (http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Edasseril) that Edasseril, the Realm of Envy in ancient Thassilon, was named after the elven princess Telandia Edasseril, who is the Queen of Kyonin right now.

I don't own The Dead Heart of Xin to check if it is true but if it is, some elves can live more than 10000 years, which is a bit more than 750, if I am not mistaken.
So, where's the truth? Is the Queen secretly a leShay?

Well you have to remember that the older Elves currently in Kyonin were in another dimension for a large chunk of that time. They skipped town prior to the Earthfall and hid in their private dimension (Sovyrian) with blackjack and hookers. No one knows the properties of that place, so it's possible their already lengthy aging process was slowed even more while there.