PDA

View Full Version : Need help with CR calculus

Mandrake
2015-02-04, 09:46 AM
Hi, guys!

I need help. I've made an NPC villain. He is Gnoll Rogue1/Paladin3 (Oathbreaker). Evil and all, a pirate. I have trouble calculating his Challenge Rating. I've used the standard array for stats, he has no magic items (maybe I add something).

So, he has something like 35HP, 15AC, +5 to attack and 1d8+3 damage, unless he smites or uses Hellish Rebuke or Inflict Wounds, when it's more. If I've done the math right, he is total average CR just 1/2, which sounds kind of weak to me, since he is level 4.

Can anybody help me with this? I can add additional information if you need it. Thanks!

pwykersotz
2015-02-04, 09:52 AM
Based on the table in the DMG, I get a CR of 2. His Defensive CR is 1, his Offensive CR is 2.

Mandrake
2015-02-04, 09:57 AM
Based on the table in the DMG, I get a CR of 2. His Defensive CR is 1, his Offensive CR is 2.

Thank you for your reply!

Ok, for offensive, I got the same. But for defensive he is 1/8 based on HP, and 5 based on AC. Then I increase CR up 1 (since there are two points of difference between expected 13 and actual 15) and I get to 1/4 for defensive CR.

Anyway, I'll use your numbers, but if you can be bothered to explain, I would appreciate it :)

pwykersotz
2015-02-04, 10:02 AM
HP is 35, so CR 1/8
AC is 15, so CR 5

Levels of difference between 1/8 and 5 is 7.

Increase CR by one step for every 2 points of difference (rounding down).

That's a 3 step increase. 1/8 increased by 3 steps is 1.

It looks like you chose the highest CR where AC is 13 instead of starting at the CR based on the HP which led to a lesser increase of CR.

Mandrake
2015-02-04, 10:04 AM
Thanks!

Actually, I calculated the difference between two armor classes, instead of two challenge ratings. Nevermind, thanks again. :smallsmile: