PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Kobold fighter class

Roiyal-T
2015-02-04, 12:30 PM
Hello guys

I have only read posts here before this is my first time posting on this site. please be patient and understanding.

I am building a kobold fighter using the "kobold fighter class" from and Dragonwrought, I want wings

I love kobolds they are a fun class I built a kobold rogue/uncanny trickster before and he was a blast.

I must explain that I choose kobold because I love them there is no other creature or being in the world/universe who hates gnomes as much as I do except kobolds.

I only want to build a fighter class, no multi classing, absolutely no casting of magic, personal distaste of reading spell books. I would like to know what feats aside "hit-and-run" would be good for my little buddy. I am also asking about equipment and other fun bits that will keep him from getting pummeled.

We have a tank, rogue and scout in the team. starting at level 1.

Thank you.

sideswipe
2015-02-04, 12:49 PM
at level 1 you will want studded leather, a heavy wooden shield and longspear, i would wait for people to charge you and prepare against the charge for double damage, then your low strength and other factors like that will be negated a bit.

so your taking dragonwought, so you are a venerable aged or old aged kobold for the +3/2 to all mental stats with no penalties to physical?

after that you have your level 3 feat already chosen as dragon wings. because you wanted wings.

i would suggest looking at one of the trip handbooks or the sword and board (works with a spear) handbooks. rely on attacks of opportunity or on tripping your opponents up so that your rogue buddy can get sneak attack each round against a prone target. i forget if you can use dex instead of str when tripping, but ask your DM if he will let you. either way you will want to get improved trip as soon as you can.

this looks like a very low op game, so either way.

also for "fun" things look up shax's indispensable haversack and take a few goodies from there.

DEMON
2015-02-04, 12:52 PM
Hello guys

I have only read posts here before this is my first time posting on this site. please be patient and understanding.

I am building a kobold fighter using the "kobold fighter class" from and Dragonwrought, I want wings

I love kobolds they are a fun class I built a kobold rogue/uncanny trickster before and he was a blast.

I must explain that I choose kobold because I love them there is no other creature or being in the world/universe who hates gnomes as much as I do except kobolds.

I only want to build a fighter class, no multi classing, absolutely no casting of magic, personal distaste of reading spell books. I would like to know what feats aside "hit-and-run" would be good for my little buddy. I am also asking about equipment and other fun bits that will keep him from getting pummeled.

We have a tank, rogue and scout in the team. starting at level 1.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums.

What books are available to you?

Also, by "hit-and-run" feat, do you mean Hit-and-Run Tactics Fighter ACF from Drow of the Underdark?

What level do you expect the campaign to reach?

What exactly do you expect your Kobold Fighter to do in the game, besides hating Gnomes? From weapon(s) of choice to combat style to out of combat actions to behavior?

All this makes a difference.

Rakaydos
2015-02-04, 12:52 PM
Flyby attack is strictly better than the grond based equiviant.

Roiyal-T
2015-02-04, 01:25 PM
Welcome to the forums.

What books are available to you?

Also, by "hit-and-run" feat, do you mean Hit-and-Run Tactics Fighter ACF from Drow of the Underdark?

What level do you expect the campaign to reach?

What exactly do you expect your Kobold Fighter to do in the game, besides hating Gnomes? From weapon(s) of choice to combat style to out of combat actions to behavior?

All this makes a difference.

Thank you,

So i will be probably primary dps, I will be using the longspear (which is two handed cant use shield) I intend to get fly-by-attack once I get my wings to "upgraded" (improved dragon wings)

Yes the drow hit-n-run, I have no idea what level we will reach to be honest, we are a busy group of individuals and we don't often get to play, we will be playing more for fun than progression.

Almost all books are open, but I don't want to break the game, so not looking to be the ultimate cheap guy, Though I could.

Ferronach
2015-02-04, 01:54 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Are you dead set on a "standard" Kobold or are you willing to try variants?

Some of the Kobold variants out there can actually help with the fighter thing.
I built a spear and shield Kobold a while back who had wings and was a variant that removed the con/str penalties.
AFB right now so will have to update with the type later unless someone else knows :)

Greenish
2015-02-04, 03:07 PM
I built a spear and shield Kobold a while back who had wings and was a variant that removed the con/str penalties.
AFB right now so will have to update with the type later unless someone else knows :)Desert and Jungle Kobolds penalize Wis/Int (respectively) instead of Con, Earth Kobold has only -2 to Str (at the cost of Dex bonus), but no variant I know of completely removes both penalties.

Roiyal-T
2015-02-04, 04:23 PM
I have been toying with the idea of desert kobold, I would rather lose wis score than con anyway, bye bye spot checks, :( I'm home now I rolled my ability scores and got with adding racial mods, str 14, dex 20, con 15, int 14, wis 15, cha 14, again this is AFTER the racial mods, havent aged him to venerable...yet, not sure I want to, took dragonwrought for future feats. Once I can afford it I will see if the DM can somehow get me a dragon scale for "Glimmering Scales" graft

sideswipe
2015-02-04, 04:41 PM
I have been toying with the idea of desert kobold, I would rather lose wis score than con anyway, bye bye spot checks, :( I'm home now I rolled my ability scores and got with adding racial mods, str 14, dex 20, con 15, int 14, wis 15, cha 14, again this is AFTER the racial mods, havent aged him to venerable...yet, not sure I want to, took dragonwrought for future feats. Once I can afford it I will see if the DM can somehow get me a dragon scale for "Glimmering Scales" graft

you don't get penalties for ageing, so take at least middle age fo the bonus +1 wisdom.

Roiyal-T
2015-02-04, 05:31 PM
you don't get penalties for ageing, so take at least middle age fo the bonus +1 wisdom.

Desert Kobold Middle aged stats,
str 14
dex 20
con17
int 15
wis 14
cha 15

I would go Venerable but I dont want to break the game and anger the DM.
Middle aged +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.

sideswipe
2015-02-04, 05:38 PM
Desert Kobold Middle aged stats,
str 14
dex 20
con17
int 15
wis 14
cha 15

I would go Venerable but I dont want to break the game and anger the DM.
Middle aged +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.

that doesn't add up to what you said earlier.

Roiyal-T
2015-02-04, 06:02 PM
that doesn't add up to what you said earlier.

str 14, dex 20, con 15, int 14, wis 15, cha 14, (this is what I had earlier)

Desert Kobold -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom: (Was not DESERT before)
Middle aged +1 int, wis, and Cha

Str 14 stays same
Dex 20 stays same
Con +2=17 (From making Desert instead)
Int+1=15 (age)
Wis -2=13(From Desert) +1 (age)= 14
Cha +1=15 (age)

Math it makes my head hurt

If I'm wrong help me out here

Also FEATS! I need advice on these too I MAY go to old age for Epic Feats but DM may not allow
Remember at lvl3 I'm taking Wings

sideswipe
2015-02-04, 06:07 PM
str 14, dex 20, con 15, int 14, wis 15, cha 14, (this is what I had earlier)

Desert Kobold -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom: (Was not DESERT before)
Middle aged +1 int, wis, and Cha

Str 14 stays same
Dex 20 stays same
Con +2=17 (From making Desert instead)
Int+1=15 (age)
Wis -2=13(From Desert) +1 (age)= 14
Cha +1=15 (age)

Math it makes my head hurt

If I'm wrong help me out here

Also FEATS! I need advice on these too I MAY go to old age for Epic Feats but DM may not allow
Remember at lvl3 I'm taking Wings

i did not know you changed base race.

feats. well what do you want to do with your fighter? damage? combat tricks? fighters cannot do a lot else.
so what is your thing? what will you be doing?

Roiyal-T
2015-02-04, 06:59 PM
i did not know you changed base race.

feats. well what do you want to do with your fighter? damage? combat tricks? fighters cannot do a lot else.
so what is your thing? what will you be doing?

looking at dps mainly unless there are other build better suited for such a Dex heavy fighter.
(I should note I am usually a Rogue so I'm out of my element with Fighter)

Blackhawk748
2015-02-04, 07:13 PM
Well ill tell you what a buddy did in this situation (i was DMing fyi) He belted a lance to his arm and did "mounted charges" while flying. See if your DM will be ok with counting you as mounted when you Dive, honestly i did and he didnt unbalance anything, also its really cool visually. After that you just take Spirited Charge (and its prereqs, yes Mounted Combat does nothing for you like this, but w/e) and impale things on your Lance. Feel free to cackle madly as you do so.

Roiyal-T
2015-02-04, 07:24 PM
Well ill tell you what a buddy did in this situation (i was DMing fyi) He belted a lance to his arm and did "mounted charges" while flying. See if your DM will be ok with counting you as mounted when you Dive, honestly i did and he didnt unbalance anything, also its really cool visually. After that you just take Spirited Charge (and its prereqs, yes Mounted Combat does nothing for you like this, but w/e) and impale things on your Lance. Feel free to cackle madly as you do so.

omg best idea ever! I'll talk to my DM

Temotei
2015-02-04, 07:43 PM
Honestly not sure how you'd break the game with a fighter having high mental ability scores. You can't really use them as a fighter all too much except for a few more skills, which should be welcome.

oldkingkoal
2015-02-04, 07:48 PM
One thing I have always wanted to try with a martial kobold build is the 'Confound the big folk' feat from 'Races of the Wild'. The feat allows you a number of combat maneuvers against opponents that are at least 2 size categories larger than you. The idea is that with the web enhancement that gives you slight build (your character is treated as one size smaller when it benefits you) then I would think that these combat maneuvers should be useable against medium sized opponents (since you would be considered tiny sized due to 'slight build')
Now I am not an expert on optimization so there might be something that I'm missing, but it just sounds right up the alley for a martial kobold.
Also, if your DM is ok with the above, then you could try to push your luck and ask if the homebrewed feat from DandWiki 'Colossus climber (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Colossus_Climber_%283.5e_Feat%29)' could be allowed as well, which gives you even more goodies against opponents two size categories larger than you.

EDIT:
After looking around I found 3 other feats that also benefit from being considered tiny, something to look into. 'Pebble Underfoot' from dragon compendium, 'Underfoot Combat' (This one is actually a prerequisite for confound the big folk), and 'Giant Bane' from Complete warrior.

Rebel7284
2015-02-04, 08:14 PM
Some things:

1. Check out Kobold Fighter Races of the Dragon, p 108. It trades some feats for better stats.

2. As you are a Kobold with high Dex, it may be worth it to focus on Dex for damage. Martial Study and Martial Stance are both fighter feats and allow you to pick up Clinging Shadow Strike and Child of Shadow after which you can take Shadow Blade feat and add Dex to damage. This stacks with the Hit and Run fighter damage. Also, every time you move 10 or more feet, you have concealment which is 20% miss chance! Useful!

Blackhawk748
2015-02-04, 08:27 PM
Some things:

1. Check out Kobold Fighter Races of the Dragon, p 108. It trades some feats for better stats.

2. As you are a Kobold with high Dex, it may be worth it to focus on Dex for damage. Martial Study and Martial Stance are both fighter feats and allow you to pick up Clinging Shadow Strike and Child of Shadow after which you can take Shadow Blade feat and add Dex to damage. This stacks with the Hit and Run fighter damage. Also, every time you move 10 or more feet, you have concealment which is 20% miss chance! Useful!

I just thought of adding this to the Flying Lancer Kobold TM, and thats just cruel, awesome, but cruel.

Ferronach
2015-02-04, 08:44 PM
Desert and Jungle Kobolds penalize Wis/Int (respectively) instead of Con, Earth Kobold has only -2 to Str (at the cost of Dex bonus), but no variant I know of completely removes both penalties.

Whoops! Earth Kobold it is/was! I used racial substitution levels to nix the str penalty and add to con :P

Greenish
2015-02-04, 10:39 PM
Earth kobold is pretty terrible, though. I'd rather take desert or jungle kobold and try to build on their strong points (dex bonus and being kobold) instead of trying to work with sucking slightly less at something you're awful at. Earth kobolds don't have a bonus to anything, even after the boosts from the fighter sub levels.

Roiyal-T
2015-02-05, 08:06 AM
Some things:

This is actually the class I am intending,

One fun thing to note I found out, Desert Kobolds do not have light sensitivity, but keep dark vision, So... hell yeah

What book are those martial feat you speak of in?

atemu1234
2015-02-05, 08:27 AM
Fly is strictly better than the ground based equivalent.

Fixed it a little bit.

All you need is Fly. That's strictly better than walking any day of the week, both in-game and out. Nothing better than being able to soar out of range of melee attackers.

Rebel7284
2015-02-05, 08:31 AM
This is actually the class I am intending,

What book are those martial feat you speak of in?

Tome of battle. Note that because your initiator level (tome of battle version of caster level) is your character level/2, you will need to be at least level 2 to take those classes.

Roiyal-T
2015-02-05, 08:48 AM
Tome of battle. Note that because your initiator level (tome of battle version of caster level) is your character level/2, you will need to be at least level 2 to take those classes.

noted, but still worth researching more.

Although in order to fly I will have to be at least level 6,
Wings at 3, and Improved Wings at 6, then I'll need to invest in maneuverability (or improved charge) and fly by attack. looks like I got up to level 10 planned so far

rrwoods
2015-02-05, 03:30 PM

IL is always minimum 1 though, so you can take Martial Study at level 1.

Ferronach
2015-02-05, 04:44 PM
Earth kobold is pretty terrible, though. I'd rather take desert or jungle kobold and try to build on their strong points (dex bonus and being kobold) instead of trying to work with sucking slightly less at something you're awful at. Earth kobolds don't have a bonus to anything, even after the boosts from the fighter sub levels.

They end up with +2 con with the racial substitutions. Is this the best type? no but I found it to be a decent balance of stats and was willing to use the racial substitutions.
I also ended up going down the Dragon devotee line (low OP campaign) so stats were not really an issue ("old" helped out here too :P)
Gold dragon blooded made things even more fun :)

DeltaEmil
2015-02-05, 04:47 PM
IL is always minimum 1 thoughWhere is this part actually written? The only source for that statement I can find has only been the sage's advice, which is rather iffy in that regard (although I share the sage's suggestion to allow maneuvers while grappled as long as they do not require the initiator to leave their currently occupied space, like for example swooping dragon strike or pouncing charge).

rrwoods
2015-02-05, 07:44 PM
Where is this part actually written? The only source for that statement I can find has only been the sage's advice, which is rather iffy in that regard (although I share the sage's suggestion to allow maneuvers while grappled as long as they do not require the initiator to leave their currently occupied space, like for example swooping dragon strike or pouncing charge).

I could have sworn I saw that text in the Tome itself somewhere, but I can't find it either. However is this compilation (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=13292.0) official? It's listed there, as errata to Martial Study.

DeltaEmil
2015-02-06, 10:33 AM
No. It's unofficial...

Roiyal-T
2015-02-06, 11:52 AM
I would like to thank you guys for assisting me. You have been very helpful!

Greenish
2015-02-06, 12:10 PM
They end up with +2 con with the racial substitutions.Which sub levels do you mean? Only the fighter ones give stat bonuses, and even then it's only +2 Str, +2 Con, merely canceling out Earth kobold's penalties.

Ferronach
2015-02-06, 12:22 PM
Which sub levels do you mean? Only the fighter ones give stat bonuses, and even then it's only +2 Str, +2 Con, merely canceling out Earth kobold's penalties.

nvm. this is what happens when afb :(