PDA

View Full Version : gestalt rouge and Artificer

Nosta
2015-02-04, 04:13 PM
using a warforged. would this be any good and if so how would you build it
to make the best out of it

Waker
2015-02-04, 04:23 PM
An Artificer/Rogue can work fairly well. You could very well play a Batman (not the Wizard kind) type character between your high skills and all those magnificent toys. You might wish to pay special attention to Wands and Staffs to provide you frequent ray spells to deliver sneak attacks.

Rubik
2015-02-04, 04:25 PM
Makeup only takes up the face and eye slots. You'd need a lot more slots filled to make for a good artificer.

Drrakerr
2015-02-04, 05:39 PM
What systems/books are available? If Pathfinder ninja's are on the table, I would advise you take a look at them. IIRC they get 8+int skills per level and poison use at level one, and a few craft(poison)
ranks goes a long way at low to mid levels, particularly if you are pumping int to boost you artificer side.

Nosta
2015-02-04, 06:13 PM
What systems/books are available? If Pathfinder ninja's are on the table, I would advise you take a look at them. IIRC they get 8+int skills per level and poison use at level one, and a few craft(poison)
ranks goes a long way at low to mid levels, particularly if you are pumping int to boost you artificer side.

no pathfinder but all 3.0 and 3.5 and Dragon magazine are allowed

Feint's End
2015-02-04, 06:38 PM
Well for once it would be the most fashionable artificer ever considering that you are half rouge.

Seriously though ... might want to fix that.

On topic .... The rogue doesn't really do all that much for you. I mean yeah ... its better than straight artificer but not by a large margin.

Svata
2015-02-04, 06:40 PM
What sourcebook is the rouge from, and what are its stats like? From what I heard, its fairly overpowdered, so mixing it with a class like the artificer could potentially overwhelm the rest of the party.

Seriously could be the most overpowdered combo ever, as you're running rouge with artificer who can just make more at any time. Though I suppse a wizard with fabricate could do it too.

Troacctid
2015-02-04, 06:50 PM
What sourcebook is the rouge from, and what are its stats like? From what I heard, its fairly overpowdered, so mixing it with a strong class like the artificer could potentially outclass the rest of the party.

Rouge is actually the same as Rogue, with only a few cosmetic differences.

While detractors often paint the class as too strong, Artificer is great in a support role, so you should be able to help your allies makeup the gap.

elonin
2015-02-04, 07:26 PM
It's generally considered good form to stick to lower tier classes in gestalt unless your group is high powered. And in that case the rogue might not keep up. To be honest I've considered playing as a rogue/warlock in gestalt but that is just me. What are you looking to do?

gorfnab
2015-02-04, 07:47 PM
Outlaw of the Crimson Road and Scarlet Cosair might be prestige class options for a rouge...
Anyway Artificer // Factotum might be a better option. They are both Int based. Factotum gives you a great deal of nice abilities including the option for extra actions, which is awesome for casters.

Nosta
2015-02-04, 09:44 PM
It's generally considered good form to stick to lower tier classes in gestalt unless your group is high powered. And in that case the rogue might not keep up. To be honest I've considered playing as a rogue/warlock in gestalt but that is just me. What are you looking to do?

the character idea is a female like warforged who is an able to unlock things disable traps and help the party by making things

Feint's End
2015-02-05, 09:24 AM
so you should be able to help your allies makeup the gap.

Well played :smallamused:

Outlaw of the Crimson Road and Scarlet Cosair might be prestige class options for a rouge...
Anyway Artificer // Factotum might be a better option. They are both Int based. Factotum gives you a great deal of nice abilities including the option for extra actions, which is awesome for casters.

Seconding Factotum as a better option to gestalt Artificer with. It does pretty much all you want better than rogue and adds additional options (like getting additional standard options)

From my understanding you asked if the combination is any good. So the honest answer is no ... you get almost nothing from adding rogue aside from the damage boost. In fight you'll most likely have other things to do than go melee so there are just better classes for the overall concept (like Factotum).

And please. Consider fixing the rouge in the Thread title to rogue. Rouge is a form of makeup if you haven't realised it by all the puns.

chainer1216
2015-02-05, 10:29 AM
Rouge is actually the same as Rogue, with only a few cosmetic differences.

*groan*

You know a pun is good when it feels like you've been punched the the stomach.

Waker
2015-02-05, 01:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, I realize that Factotum is a stronger class, but Rogue doesn't fail to bring something to the table with the mixing. Sneak Attack is nice, but not a huge concern. The additional skill point that it has over the Factotum is nice, though hardly gamebreaking. Getting Evasion is terribly handy at low levels, or you could go a different route and nab Spell Reflection (CMag). I would definitely get Spell Sense from the same book since Trapsense is so situational as to be useless. Skill Mastery at higher levels ain't terrible.
Then of course there is the question of outshining the rest of the party. Factotum by itself is only a T3 class, but mixed with Artificer in Gestalt? If the rest of the party isn't optimized very well, we might be telling this poster to show up to a go-kart race with a formula one car.