PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Using command-activated items while raging

Lathund
2015-02-04, 04:59 PM
So my friend and I built a fighter/barbarian charger for our 3.5 game. It was equipped with some items like Belt of Battle and soon enough, it charged off into its first fight, raging and all. After the first full attack, it tried to activate its aforementioned belt. "Sorry," the DM says, "you're raging, so you can't use command-activated items." And much to our displeasure, he was right. So now we have a character that wants to rage, but can't use any of his activated items while he's doing so. And that sucks.

Is there a way around this? Maybe some crystal to change an item's activation method? A feat to allow command activation while raging? Anything? I'd like your help.

nyjastul69
2015-02-04, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by the SRD:
While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function.

A belt of battle is a mental command to activate. It doesn't require a command word. I don't see anything in the rage description that would prohibit the use of a BoB. Maybe it was errata'd somewhere.

DeltaEmil
2015-02-04, 06:12 PM
nyjastul69 is correct. For further evidence, see page 220 of the Magic Item Compendium, which explains the difference between a command word activated magic item and one that is activated mentally.

nyjastul69
2015-02-04, 06:46 PM
Taking it a step further fluffwise, it fits very well thematically with barbarian. So even if it is RAW illegal, I'd probably allow it anyways.

elonin
2015-02-04, 07:18 PM
The DM did say no and rule 0. This isn't a call I would have made however. AFB but thought they couldn't use skills that require mental concentration. Is using a trigger item something that triggers that clause? It's not the same as casting.

Lathund
2015-02-05, 04:52 AM
Eh, BoB has a swift(mental) activation. Weird; I thought it was swift(command). That's something I'm going to talk about with him.

Either way, question remains for items like Boots of the Battle Charger, which activates as swift(command). Is there a workaround to use this while raging?

nyjastul69
2015-02-05, 07:15 AM
The DM did say no and rule 0. This isn't a call I would have made however. AFB but thought they couldn't use skills that require mental concentration. Is using a trigger item something that triggers that clause? It's not the same as casting.

Rule 0 is difficult to account for in a general discussion. Mental concentration is not a thing in D&D. If by trigger item you mean a spell trigger item, such as a wand, the rule is clear, barbarians cannot use those while raging. Also, unless using the UMD skill, skill use is not usually associated with magic item use.

Eh, BoB has a swift(mental) activation. Weird; I thought it was swift(command). That's something I'm going to talk about with him.

Either way, question remains for items like Boots of the Battle Charger, which activates as swift(command). Is there a workaround to use this while raging?

That's a different question. I don't see any workaround other than making a custom magic item for BotBC.