PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Optimizing my sorcerer spell list

Usagi_Yojimbo
2015-02-04, 05:51 PM
Hello first time poster to the threads. Starting a 5e game this weekend, planning on playing a Forest Gnome/Wild Magic Sorcerer starting at lvl 4. I'm on the fence about spell choices and which 2 metamagic feats would be most helpful to start with. Looking to be more of an Illusion/cover my ass caster/pseudo rogue for my group. Any input would be helpful, I'm a very indecisive decider looking forward to seeing some of your brain power at work with my request.

Easy_Lee
2015-02-04, 06:00 PM
Hello first time poster to the threads. Starting a 5e game this weekend, planning on playing a Forest Gnome/Wild Magic Sorcerer starting at lvl 4. I'm on the fence about spell choices and which 2 metamagic feats would be most helpful to start with. Looking to be more of an Illusion/cover my ass caster/pseudo rogue for my group. Any input would be helpful, I'm a very indecisive decider looking forward to seeing some of your brain power at work with my request.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/player-help/threads/4142906

I'd go with twinned and quicken, since they're the most versatile. I'd also encourage a different race selection, particularly half elf. +2Cha means you'll likely start with 17, or 19 at 4, and can max it with a half feat.

Felvion
2015-02-05, 07:52 PM
I'm gonna help you get a bit more indecisive!:smallcool:
If you wanna play a gnome why not play an illusionist wizard? Gnomes are naturally good wizards...
If you are not set for gnome, why not play any other race? Almost anyone would be better than the gnome.
For such a character i'd advise the actor feat, it's the only charisma half feat anyway and should you end up with an even score i think it's a no-brainer. Disguising yourself into a member of the enemy force is a classic trick and this feat was made just for such occasions!
I can't resist but syggest the ultimate trickster combo that a level 2 warlock can offer. Pick the two invocations that let you cast disguise self* and silennt image at will, add to this the actor feat and you can fool people all day long, even your own party! I know it may be a bit different a concept than what you asked but i couldn't help it.
Also warlock2/sorcerer x is a combo that come's up very often although i haven't personally tested yet.

Hope i helped with your undecisiveness!

*note here that whatever class you pick disguise self, unless houseruled, ain't gonna help you much as a spell since the height problem remains a pain in the ass

Usagi_Yojimbo
2015-02-05, 08:14 PM
Thank you for the replies, I like the Forest Gnome simply how my backstory goes, the RP I want to do with him would actually work well with the actor feat! I rolled pretty well and at lvl 4 primary stats look like this:
STR: 9
DEX: 16
CON: 14
INT: 15
WIS: 15
CHA: 19

I am leaning now at twinned and quicken as my 1st 2 metamagic choices, its just when its all said and done picking the right 15 spells is killing me. Yes wizard would take a lot of the indecisiveness out of the equation, but backstory and the way I want to develop this character was based on the Wild Magic sorcerer. I will defiantly be playing a wizard in the future just wanna make the most of this first dude.

Usagi_Yojimbo
2015-02-05, 08:15 PM
Dipping into warlock is something I will also look into ^.^

Felvion
2015-02-06, 07:21 AM
Actually i'm glad that you chose to stick with sorcerer! Maybe it's unconventional class and race combo but after all it's all about having fun fleshing out characters, screw the numbers and the rules!
Your stats are godlike. I'm no expert in sorcerer builds and haven't seen one in action either... I'd only tell you to give another look to subtle and heightened spell metamagic. I can't say if they are worth more than twinned or quickened, everything has its usefuleness. You have to pick wisely your spells, planning ahead on which ones could be empowered with metamagic. Quickened and twinned are universally awesome and you can't go wrong with them but possibly one of the aforementioned metamagics could suit your spell list and playstyle more.
I'd advice to talk to your dm and conveince him to be able to retrain your metamagic at some point after you test it out for a few sessions. In case you find yourself not using the feature or if you are not satisfied with the results maybe you should consider changing it. After all it's still a new edition, everyone is still testing stuff!
Have fun with your gnome mate!

Usagi_Yojimbo
2015-02-06, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the replies, glad to be apart of this Community! Yeah subtle is something I was looking at, and I have talked my DM into letting me tinker a bit, with metamagics, since I can retrain spells every level up, he's agreed to allow me to swap every 3 lvls if need be for MM's. Yes this is a new edition and excited to get back to the table!

NeoSeraphi
2015-02-06, 12:41 PM
You want to be a rogue-ish character...so why not dip a level into rogue? Expertise with Stealth is fantastic for an illusionist, and proficiency with Thieves Tools can come in handy. Plus you get your own secret language!

Person_Man
2015-02-06, 01:00 PM
Here's my current List of Useful and Powerful Spells (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?371892-List-of-Useful-and-Powerful-Spells).

For the type of Sorcerer you're describing, I would suggest that you play a Bard instead of a Sorcerer. They get Expertise and a broader range of illusion/trickery magic, and can cherry pick spells off of any list (like Pass Without Trace or Alter Self).

Having said that, if you choose to stay as a Sorcerer, I suggest you take a look at Minor Illusion, Sleep, Charm Person, Counterspell, Enhance Ability, and Alter Self. You should also consider picking up the Ritual Magic Feat for another class (probably Wizard), add it can add a ton of utility magic that basically replaces many Skill uses.