PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Monty Oum

Razade
2015-02-04, 08:09 PM
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. On Sunday, February 2nd 2015, Monty Oum of Rooster Teeth fame passed away from complications during a routine surgery. He created RWBY and worked as the main animator for Rooster Teeth's Red vs Blue and a bunch of other projects with motion capture and writing for the company. He was 33, a crazy young age to pass away. He'll be missed by fans and friends alike.

Mrc.
2015-02-04, 08:12 PM
We are already holding our own tributes to him in the RWBY thread (a lot of it had been spent discussing him anyway). We would welcome anything you have to say about such a wonderful man, and hopefully together we can remember such a wonderful life that was regrettably short.

Reddish Mage
2015-02-04, 08:59 PM
Here, here.

AdmiralCheez
2015-02-04, 09:11 PM
Oh man, that's... wow. I never really got into their stuff, but I still recognized the name. That's tragic.

Razade
2015-02-04, 10:00 PM
We are already holding our own tributes to him in the RWBY thread (a lot of it had been spent discussing him anyway). We would welcome anything you have to say about such a wonderful man, and hopefully together we can remember such a wonderful life that was regrettably short.

Not everyone goes to the RWBY thread though I imagined posts were made about it there. The loss of a media figure merits it's own thread in my mind. I never met him and honestly not a big fan of the work he's been attached to. But he was an interesting guy and while I'm not a fan of RWBY or Red vs Blue I still think the passage of a bright and innovate guy like Monty is a shame.

Sith_Happens
2015-02-04, 10:09 PM
[Red Like Roses Part II (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euuxPokAeIA) intensifies]

MLai
2015-02-05, 05:39 AM
What the--?
Wow, that's completely unexpected.
I'm definitely a fan of his works. I've dropped RWBY for a while because I didn't like the direction of the story, but I've always liked his crazy choreography. I had always hoped that he made it into the big leagues, because I don't know any animator currently being able to do what he does. Sure, anime and Hollywood are both into gun katas nowadays, but no one reimagines it like he does.

Looks like I'm going to have to go back to RWBY fast, before the entire project gets taken down or something.

Killer Angel
2015-02-05, 07:08 AM
Not everyone goes to the RWBY thread

I'm one of those: to see RWBY it's one of those things on my "to do list", so i didn't knew about Monty. :smallfrown:

Grinner
2015-02-05, 07:52 PM
Well, that's a bummer.

Aotrs Commander
2015-02-07, 12:14 PM
The name seems vaguely familair to me... Wasn't he that chap that animated that parody of Part of Their World with Richard from Looking for Group...? Or at least something I've seen (aside for what has been mentioned.)

At any rate, such an occurance is tragic, the more so for beig so unexpected, and my thoughts to go his friends and family at this difficult time.

Ramza00
2015-02-07, 05:16 PM
The name seems vaguely familair to me... Wasn't he that chap that animated that parody of Part of Their World with Richard from Looking for Group...? Or at least something I've seen (aside for what has been mentioned.)

At any rate, such an occurance is tragic, the more so for beig so unexpected, and my thoughts to go his friends and family at this difficult time.
Works that I know has some animation by him.

Haloid
Dead Fantasy
Afro Samurai
Red vs. Blue (Seasons 8-10) (produced by Rooster Teeth)
RWBY (produced by Rooster Teeth). One of the main Creators

He also was the voice actor of Lie Ren in RWBY

Aotrs Commander
2015-02-07, 07:49 PM
Works that I know has some animation by him.

Haloid
Dead Fantasy

Ah. That'll be where I knew him from.

Damn. That's so sad. the an had serious talent.

Lord Raziere
2015-02-11, 04:16 PM
sorry this took so long, but I wanted to do this properly.

Monty Oum was a great animator and fight scene maker. sure, maybe he wasn't the best writer, but man we wouldn't have RWBY without him, or Haloid or any of those awesome fight scenes in the later seasons of Red vs Blue. I wouldn't have this Yang avatar, or know of any of these characters with out him, I wouldn't have made Kedra Kaltican without him, or any other character of the RWBY universe. Thank you Monty. Thank you for inspiring me to make characters that otherwise I would not have made, with problems of their own. Thank you for being awesome in your own way.

which is why in tribute, I have dedicate this following art to you, Monty. It has over the top action and just a little bit of humor while on a high-speed car chase. Just as you would've wanted it:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk25/Trizap/TeamCoffeeInANutshell.png~original

May you fight well and win many victories in super-wuxia Valhalla Monty. Fight well.

Reddish Mage
2015-02-13, 06:56 PM
The New York Times has a eulogy for Monty Oum and it really puts his life, work and influence in perspective:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/05/arts/monty-oum-dies-at-33-and-his-fans-grieve.html