PDA

View Full Version : YAY another PC, CUTTING WHEELS! or chakrams

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 08:13 PM
ok, so in a bad turn of events my warlock/shadowcaster decided to change his character to a new one. A character based on chakrams (thinking cutting wheel is better).
Thinking my old boomerang feat will work alot but any one else have more ideas?

BTW fireburst enchanted, help please

Solaris
2015-02-04, 11:20 PM
So... halfling Xena?

Looking at a couple (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?199479-Knife-Throwing-Build) other (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?136501-3-5-Dagger-Throwing-Build) threads (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0) on the subject, I'd say the PrCs you're looking for on a chakram-wielding character are Master Thrower and Bloodstorm Blade.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 11:22 PM
wasn't thinking halfling, why is that better?
And ok i will look into those, just to add a little info. He wants his main attack to be his chakrams which i am sure will reduce his effectiveness.

Solaris
2015-02-04, 11:43 PM
Halflings have a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons on top of a +2 Dex bonus and Small size, to a total of +3 to the attack roll over a human. Make it a strongheart halfling, and it'll even have the bonus feat like a human - handy, considering he wants to use an exotic weapon.

Chakrams deal 1d6 damage, 1d4 for a Small character. There are worse thrown weapons out there.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 11:45 PM
wow my first halfling PC i will be ok with. I have on player that makes the entire halfling race comedians.
Are they a monk weapon?

Darrin
2015-02-05, 07:15 AM
wow my first halfling PC i will be ok with. I have on player that makes the entire halfling race comedians.
Are they a monk weapon?

Chakrams are not monk weapons. Cutting wheels can be treated as monk weapons if you take Exotic Weapon Proficiency for them.

Check out the Wind and Fire feat in Secrets of Sarlona (p. 119). [S]Since cutting wheels aren't normally thrown weapons, a dip into Warblade and then four levels of Bloodstorm Blade (Tome of Battle) might be worth considering.

Andion Isurand
2015-02-05, 07:17 AM
Well, cutting wheels do have a listed range increment.

Darrin
2015-02-05, 09:22 AM
Well, cutting wheels do have a listed range increment.

Huh. Missed that. Even better.

What ECL would this be for?

Sian
2015-02-05, 09:39 AM
note Chakram Ricochet from Champions of Ruin

Tohsaka Rin
2015-02-05, 09:57 AM
Aptitude.

Boomerang Daze/Ricochet. Also-

(Gasps)

....So, Bloodstorm Blade. Thunderous Throw. Treat attacks as melee attacks.

AS MELEE ATTACKS.

Visions of cleaving ranged attacks just danced through my head... A crit-fisher, cleaving build, at range, using Lightning Mace style...

And thus a monster was born, what have I wrought?

Necroticplague
2015-02-05, 10:04 AM
Aptitude.

Boomerang Daze/Ricochet. Also-

(Gasps)

....So, Bloodstorm Blade. Thunderous Throw. Treat attacks as melee attacks.

AS MELEE ATTACKS.

Visions of cleaving ranged attacks just danced through my head... A crit-fisher, cleaving build, at range, using Lightning Mace style...

And thus a monster was born, what have I wrought?
Note that cleave specifies that the attack it provides has to be within reach, so that puts a sharp limit on its usefulness in this manner.

j_spencer93
2015-02-05, 02:47 PM
he would be starting at level 3, and thanks for the ideas

Tohsaka Rin
2015-02-05, 03:43 PM
Ok, so, I had another look.

Aptitude Cutting Wheels.

Bloodstorm Blade (lightning ricochet), Master Thrower (two with one blow, Weak spot).

Two-weapon fighting, Lightning Mace style, Boomerang Ricochet, Chakram Ricochet, Wind and Fire style. Rapid shot, if you really need another ranged attack.

First attack, throw your Cutting Wheel in your main hand. Hopefully you hit.

Boomerang Ricochet, hit an adjacent target to the first.

Chakram Ricochet, hit another adjacent target.

Two with one Blow, hit another adjacent target.

If every attack has hit, you've just nailed four guys, with ONE attack.

Next, attack with your offhand weapon's first attack, repeat the process.

Provided you've hit them all again, Wind and Fire style makes each of them take bleeding damage.

What makes all this crazy stuff possible? Master Thrower's other wonderful ability, Weak spot. You make ranged attacks as touch attacks, giving up your strength bonus to damage.

The cherry on top is the Lightning Mace style, netting you an extra attack per critical threat, which is bound to happen sooner or later. Better, if you boost your threat range.

If you're not dishing out enough damage, worry not. Wind and Fire style's bleeding damage stacks with itself, so unless your opponents are willing to burn a standard action to make a heal check each turn (or be magically healed each turn), you'll bleed them dry eventually.

j_spencer93
2015-02-05, 03:47 PM
now that is an idea, and don't worry about damage. This character is all about fluff, the player simply wants a cool "chakram" thrower

Necroticplague
2015-02-05, 03:58 PM
Of course, that combo takes a whole lot of feats to work (I know Lightning Maces has some annoying prereqs). Good idea though, if one uses that interpretation of Aptitude weapons (I've seen others interpret it to only apply to weapons you get to pick, i.e., weapon focus)

j_spencer93
2015-02-05, 04:06 PM
honestly i don't like the wording of aptitude weapon. It is really vague in my opinion. Now for my build:

warblade 5
Master thrower 5
bloodstorm blade 10

straight forward and not to complicated. This player is a little shakey on grasping the game at sometimes.

As for his chakrams:

+3 flamingburst aptitude Cutting Wheel of knockback collision

Tohsaka Rin
2015-02-05, 04:31 PM
Keep in mind, even with little damage, adding flame, frost, or shock, would go a LONG way to spreading out a whole lot of damage, with all the extra hits you'd be doing.

And yeah, this method is super feat intensive. Getting the TWF gloves from the MiC would help save you two, I think.

Lightning Mace style is only combat reflexes, twf, and weapon focus, so not that ugly.

Thanks to Aptitude, and the twf gloves, I think you only need about nine feats. Less, if you can find other items that give you virtual feats like the gloves do. It should be do-able with the bonus feats from Bloodstorm Blade, and Warblade, I think.

j_spencer93
2015-02-05, 04:35 PM
Keep in mind, even with little damage, adding flame, frost, or shock, would go a LONG way to spreading out a whole lot of damage, with all the extra hits you'd be doing.

And yeah, this method is super feat intensive. Getting the TWF gloves from the MiC would help save you two, I think.

Lightning Mace style is only combat reflexes, twf, and weapon focus, so not that ugly.

Thanks to Aptitude, and the twf gloves, I think you only need about nine feats. Less, if you can find other items that give you virtual feats like the gloves do. It should be do-able with the bonus feats from Bloodstorm Blade, and Warblade, I think.

As for feats we allow flaws IF they fit into a characters story and make sense, plus they have to hinder the player. Also feats every odd level.

racial bonus
flaw
flaw
1st level
3rd level
5th level
warblade bonus
7th level
9th level
warblade bonus
11th level
bloodstorm bonus
13th level
bloodstorm bonus
15th level
17th level
bloodstorm bonus
19th level

j_spencer93
2015-02-05, 09:19 PM
As for feats:
Two weapon fighting
Lightning mace style
Boomerang ricochet
Chakram ricochet
Wind and Fire style
Power attack
Power throw
Hurling charge
Point blank shot
Precise shot
Weapon focus
Quick draw

Would Knockback be better as an enchantment or the feat?