PDA

View Full Version : Magic-sensitive Elf sub-race

ldcnuke
2007-04-05, 08:32 AM
This is a subrace of elf my friend and I threw together one day, partially inspired by the Warcraft Blood Elves. Burning Crusade had come out, the server was down, and we were bored. The race actually now has a place in my homebrew world called Scorn. Still looking for a cool name because "Blood Elf Variant" doesn't have that nice ring to it...

Magic Sensitive Elves:

-2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma: These elves have a natural charm and personal power about them, but are lack in physical power.

+2 bonus on Spot, Search, and Listen checks. Magic sensitive elves have just as keen senses as any other type of elf

Immunity to sleep, +2 bonus to saving throws vs. enchantments.

Elven sleeping rules apply to these elves.

Low-light vision.

+2 bonus on Use Magic Device checks. Magic sensitive elves have a natural affinity for magic, and using magically charged items comes naturally to them.

Detect Magic at will. Magic sensitives have a 6th sense when it comes to magical auras. They have evolved to be able to see magical items as easily as they can tell right from left. Only up to the second round of concentration in power.

Magic Dependency:If a Magic Sensitive elf is not within arm's reach of a source of magic (such as a magic item, or even a sorcerer, DM should decide what a "magic source" is), the character becomes sickened until one round after returning to a magic source.

Automatic languages: Elven, Common. Bonus languages: Draconic, Auran, Terran, Ignan, Aquan, and Sylvan

Post please! PM me if you use it, too.

ionlink x
2007-04-05, 02:05 PM
I honestly don't think this needs a level adjustment. The "Magic Dependency" balances out the "Detect Magic at will". This would be fine in my opinion if it had no LA.

ldcnuke
2007-04-05, 03:22 PM
Both my experience as a DM and Soladins ECL calculator place them at a mid -power LA 1

jjpickar
2007-04-05, 06:27 PM
Considering what wands of detect magic cost though. I think that they shouldn't have a level adjustment.

ldcnuke
2007-04-05, 06:34 PM
Well, if enough people think that, I will change it. Thanks for the input.

Fizban
2007-04-06, 12:37 AM
The Warcraft Campaign Setting has statted blood elves, as a slightly modded version of their high elves. In a nutshell, take standard high elves, add bonus to arcane casting stat, add some cantrips that you get to choose yourself, bonus caster level and spellcraft. They also had LA+1 and a magic dependency.

The magic dependency in WCS was kinda meh, they baisically just said "double your spell preparation time" with the idea that you have to spend an hour "resisting your addiction". It was rather weak.

Your magic dependency is actually really good, I would define a magic source as a permanent magic item. Charged items don't feel right, and leeching someone else's magic can't be good for them. Some mana sources would radiate it over an area as well, like moon wells. Then you could throw in some stuff for draining magic creatures (read: demons), like "your addiction is completely sated for one week per hit die of the drained creature".

Now I want to go remake the Demon Hunter PrC, it was underwhelming. And had self-contradictions in the text, ugh.

Reinboom
2007-04-06, 01:32 AM
Hmmn, the magic source can't be -themselves-, correct? :p
That probably should be made clear if that's true, otherwise this is a great sorcerer class! (+2 to cha ftw)

Starsinger
2007-04-06, 02:12 AM
I really like the magic dependancy, but why elves? Aren't there more than enough elven subraces?

Fizban, the updated Demon Hunter is less sucky, but Arcane Addiction is the same stupidity it was before.

Fizban
2007-04-06, 02:19 AM
Fizban, the updated Demon Hunter is less sucky, but Arcane Addiction is the same stupidity it was before.

Wait, what? Did they come out with a different source book or something? Do you dislike the magic addiction idea in the first place? What is this updated Demon Hunter you speak of?

Oh, and in other thoughts, one could stat arcane addiction as if it were a drug from the BoVD. The DC could be based on the highest level spell you last cast, and it could deal wisdom damage. Much different flavor though, as it makes the addiction into an actual disease rather than a handicap.

ldcnuke
2007-04-06, 06:42 AM
Hmmn, the magic source can't be -themselves-, correct? :p
That probably should be made clear if that's true, otherwise this is a great sorcerer class! (+2 to cha ftw)

The whole point is that the source has to be something else. Also, everyone, keep in mind it was loosely based on the blood elves

EDIT: I dropped the level adjustment after asking around with a lot of other people out of the forums. Thanks for the input, if you have more, then please tell me.