PDA

View Full Version : permenancy

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 11:33 PM
what spells can be permenancied. I see alot of talk about it but don't really understand how to determine if one should be or not.

torrasque666
2015-02-04, 11:41 PM
Permenency has a whitelist in the spell description. if its not on the list, it can't be permenancied

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 11:43 PM
ok i knew that, just have seen a few builds permanency things not on that list. SO should stick to that list only?

balegar
2015-02-04, 11:49 PM
Any spell can be used if you research a version of permanency specifically for that spell. Just like researching any other spell. One of the requirements is dm approval.

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 11:51 PM
ah ok i understand

Milo v3
2015-02-04, 11:54 PM
Permenency has a whitelist in the spell description. if its not on the list, it can't be permenancied
Actually, the spell specifically states that other spells may be added to the list and gives brief guidelines about doing so.

Flickerdart
2015-02-04, 11:54 PM
permenancy

permenancied

Permenency

:smallfrown:

j_spencer93
2015-02-04, 11:55 PM
I must have missed that...or maybe i didn't copy it into my index lol
Sorry about my atrocious spelling at the moment.

Zeb
2015-02-05, 12:11 AM
I'm just gonna leave this handy resource here...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?226682-Splat-It!-Permanency-Support-(Work-ALWAYS-in-Progress)

Invader
2015-02-05, 12:18 AM
:smallfrown:

Trying to summon a permanent beetlejuice? :smallamused:

Invader
2015-02-05, 12:22 AM

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?226682-Splat-It!-Permanency-Support-(Work-ALWAYS-in-Progress)

The fact this is in the homebrew forum gives me reservations.

j_spencer93
2015-02-05, 12:26 AM
me too honestly

Flickerdart
2015-02-05, 12:32 AM
The fact this is in the homebrew forum gives me reservations.
Yep, that's a homebrew list.

Check out this handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4544.0) for a collection of officially sanctioned permanency-enabled spells. It also includes psionic powers that work with Incarnate for...some reason?

Deophaun
2015-02-05, 12:33 AM

Unfortunately, that list isn't based on anything official, but rather just what some people think should be permanencied.

Here are some spells that have been officially added to the list:
Black sand (Sandstorm)
Clear stone (LEoF)
Curtain of light (BoED)
Darsson's Chilling Chamber (Shining south)
Darsson's Cooling Breeze (ditto)
Darsson's Fiery Furnace (ditto)
Distracting Shadows (MoE)
Dragonmark Symbol (Dragonmarked)
Ice web (Frostburn)
Improved Enlarge (Savage Species)
Improved Reduce (Savage Species)
Sense of the Dragon (RotD)
Silvered Claws (BoED)
Silvered Weapon (BoED)
Touch of Adamantine (BoED)
Wall of Coldfire (Frostburn)
Wall of Magma (Sandstorm)
Wall of Moonlight (PGtF)
Wall of Sand (Sandstorm)
Wall of Water (Sandstorm)

Check out this handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4544.0) for a collection of officially sanctioned permanency-enabled spells. It also includes psionic powers that work with Incarnate for...some reason?
I'm not entirely sure where their sources are for some of these. Girallon's Blessing couldn't be permanencied, certainly not in the Spell Compendium. Also, Skull Watch itself was updated to permanent by default.

j_spencer93
2015-02-05, 12:34 AM
seems like a large DM area

DarkSonic1337
2015-02-05, 02:10 AM
I'm not entirely sure where their sources are for some of these. Girallon's Blessing couldn't be permanencied, certainly not in the Spell Compendium. Also, Skull Watch itself was updated to permanent by default.

Actually, page 60 of savage species has a list of spells that can be permanencied (which includes Girallon's Blessing). Since this isn't part of the spell's text arguably the change of Girallon's Blessing in the spell compendium does not remove this.

However it also has a line that has me pretty interested. "Spells cast on other creatures, objects, or locations (not on your) are vulnerable to dispel magic as normal." Ignoring the obvious typo (yourself), does this mean that these spells cannot be dispelled if permanencied on yourself?

j_spencer93
2015-02-05, 02:12 AM
so in other words, official is scattered everywhere. And use DM discretion for others?

Deophaun
2015-02-05, 02:17 AM
Actually, page 60 of savage species has a list of spells that can be permanencied (which includes Girallon's Blessing). Since this isn't part of the spell's text arguably the change of Girallon's Blessing in the spell compendium does not remove this.
This is why you do not employ Chaotic Evil editors.

However it also has a line that has me pretty interested. "Spells cast on other creatures, objects, or locations (not on your) are vulnerable to dispel magic as normal." Ignoring the obvious typo (yourself), does this mean that these spells cannot be dispelled if permanencied on yourself?
Nope. There's an additional condition for dispelling permanencied spells you cast on yourself:

This application of permanency can be dispelled only by a caster of higher level than you were when you cast the spell.