PDA

View Full Version : Does Belkar have a deathwish?

warmachine
2007-04-05, 09:32 AM
Belkar is not known for his careful thinking or attention to detail but his leap over the wall is rash even for him. Belkar is a good melee fighter but hobgoblins are not cowards and they will take him down, especially after his fall injury. Being dead is likely to cramp his preferred lifestyle. As Belkar needs Hinjo alive, surely he can just slash the arms of the larcenist archer to disrupt his aim and call for help. No one's going to trust Belkar but no one's going to trust the larcenist either and this should close opportunities for poisoned arrows in Hinjo's back.

So what's up with Belkar? He's resigned to his death and wants to go out in a blaze of glory?

Assassinfox
2007-04-05, 09:34 AM
Who says he's gonna die? Belkar's gonna kill the entire army singlehandedly!

the_tick_rules
2007-04-05, 09:36 AM
he's an ranger 11 and barbarian 1, or very close to that. against cr 1/3 goblins. he'll annihilate them. though technically he won't get xp.

Jayabalard
2007-04-05, 09:40 AM
he's an ranger 11 and barbarian 1, or very close to that. against cr 1/3 goblins. he'll annihilate them. though technically he won't get xp.CR 1/2 hobgoblins you mean.

warmachine
2007-04-05, 10:24 AM
As explained in #417, even high level characters can't take on thousands, especially when surrounded and already injured. If they could, the OotS or Hinjo would just walk out the gate, chop up all the enemies nearby and walk back in.

Unless Belkar gets rescued or can make it to a gate PDQ, he's going to be worn down.

Bluelantern
2007-04-05, 10:43 AM
No ones can stand against so many attacks, no one that don't have Damage Reduction at least, and he don't (likely) has enough barbarian levels for that

Baalzebub
2007-04-05, 11:05 AM
Besides, there's a 20 - 1 chance that one of those goblins will score a critical to him.

lord_khaine
2007-04-05, 11:22 AM
nope, if we assume that belkar actualy has so good an ac the hobgoblings need to roll a natural 20 to hit him, then there is a 1 in 400 chance of them scoring a critical hit.

since the hobgoblings use swords then they will score a critical threat on a 19 or 20, but then they need to roll a hit to confirm the critt.

chibibar
2007-04-05, 11:43 AM
Hehe.. Belkar doesn't think that far ahead.... all he is thinking now is "Christmas is here early today" Slash slash slash.

Yea. this is D&D setting, this is not Dynasty Warrior setting (which a single hero CAN take on a whole army)

Lycanthromancer
2007-04-05, 11:45 AM
Not to mention that only the creatures around him can hit him (which are pretty much dead as soon as they get into range. Anything using ranged combat is going to suffer penalties for cover due to bodies (mounds and mounds of dead bodies) are going to get in the way.

Friv
2007-04-05, 11:47 AM
Let's see... assuming these are Strength 12 soldiers...

Only six hobgoblins can attack him per turn. 1 in 20 attacks will hit for an average 5.5 damage. 1 in 400 attacks will hit for an average 11 damage.

This means that over 400 attacks, Belkar will take an average of 116 damage.

We don't know exactly how many HP he has, though - probably around 90 or so. If that's right, it will take 312 attacks, or 52 turns, for him to die. During that time he'll kill about 150-200 hobgoblins. He'll also have most of five minutes to get back to a safe point.

Kreistor
2007-04-05, 11:48 AM
A natural 20 hits, regardless of critical confirmation. So 1 in 20 attacks will hurt Belkar. Even with his back to the wall, he's got 5 attackers per round.

If those attackers are smart (hobgoblins ain't dumb), then this is what could happen...

Belkar's action and things go squish.

Hobgoblin 1 moves in and readies an action to attck Belkar when Hobgoblin 5 says, "Attack now!"

Hobgoblin 2 moves in and Aids Hobgoblin 1 to attack.
Hobgoblin 3 moves in and Aids Hobgoblin 1 to attack.
Hobgoblin 4 moves in and Aids Hobgoblin 1 to attack.
Hobgoblin 5 moves in and Aids Hobgoblin 1 to attack. Hobgoblin 5 now says, "Attack now!"
Hobgoblin 1 attacks with a +8 bonus to hit.

Belkar's AC isn't great. He doesn't have a shield. He hasn't been given any buffs by Durkon or V. So, we're looking at a Armour + Dex = 9 at best. Maybe he has Two Weapon Defense, but he's got so few feats and a penchant for the offensive, so that's unlikely. Size bonus gives +1 AC. So, we're looking at AC 20 or 21... maybe. At +9 attack, (BAB 1 +8 from aids) Belkar is going to take 1D8 damage almost eveyr other round, assuming Str 10-11 mooks. Belkar is going to have 8+12D8+1D12+13xCon HP, which will come out to a survival time of at least 14 rounds.

Belkar's got some time, but no, he can't stay out there indefinitely.

fangthane
2007-04-05, 11:49 AM
As a small character, Belkar can only be attacked by an even-more limited number of medium-sized opponents, fewer still if he keeps his back to the wall. I can't recall offhand but I believe that'd limit things to 2 opponents at a time and as mentioned they'd rapidly be hampered by the growing pile of corpses. Until a cleric comes to Animate the pile, anyhow. :)

jindra34
i'm assuming the hex system pops up again giving him only four enemies around him as long as his back is to a wall... hehehe more longevity

chibibar
Let's see... assuming these are Strength 12 soldiers...

Only six hobgoblins can attack him per turn. 1 in 20 attacks will hit for an average 5.5 damage. 1 in 400 attacks will hit for an average 11 damage.

This means that over 400 attacks, Belkar will take an average of 116 damage.

We don't know exactly how many HP he has, though - probably around 90 or so. If that's right, it will take 312 attacks, or 52 turns, for him to die. During that time he'll kill about 150-200 hobgoblins. He'll also have most of five minutes to get back to a safe point.

good point also don't forget that the other hobgoblins are also being attack from people from the wall (arrows shooting down) so not all hobs are concentrate on Belkar.

And lets not forget the the coconut oil :)

MReav
2007-04-05, 11:56 AM
Of course Belkar has a death wish. Just not his own. However, he just has a low Wisdom* that prevents him from thinking his plans through very well.

*(he used Cleric scrolls, so the requisite Wisdom is 13, or that may have been the GM's interpretation).

Xar
2007-04-05, 11:57 AM
Since Hobgoblins aren't dumb, wouldn't it make more sense for them to grapple? Doesn't that use touch attack, which should be lower. They should be able to win an opposed strength roll.

fangthane
2007-04-05, 12:05 PM
A grapple might work but remember that Belkar's a halfling which means that he gets a dex bonus and a size bonus to touch AC. While grappled he can also make melee attacks at a penalty which, at his level and against basic hobgoblins, is nearly meaningless.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-04-05, 12:08 PM
*(he used Cleric scrolls, so the requisite Wisdom is 13, or that may have been the GM's interpretation).

actually, he needed the boost from Owl's Wisdom to be able to use them. I'd guess wisdom of 9 or less.

Job
2007-04-05, 12:08 PM
Belkar does not have a death wish so far as he has a chaotic and impulsive attitude, he needed to stop the assassination, so he took the shortest and most efficient and immediately obvious path to do so. Go-Go gadget alignment conforming actions (I need better gadgets).

A natural 20 hits, regardless of critical confirmation. So 1 in 20 attacks will hurt Belkar. Even with his back to the wall, he's got 5 attackers per round.

If those attackers are smart (hobgoblins ain't dumb), then this is what could happen...

Hobgoblin 1 moves in and readies an action to attck Belkar when Hobgoblin 5 says, "Attack now!"

Hobgoblin 5 moves in and Aids Hobgoblin 1 to attack. Hobgoblin 5 now says, "Attack now!"

What you described is sometimes referred to as nanobots. Teach a hundred rats the aid another trick and get +200 on every attack! Though I’m not entirely sure if Wotc has ever said in an Faq or errata if it’s a legal tactic (for anyone that is, not just the rats).

Large groups compromising high level characters is always fun, my personal favorite is everyone just joining into a grapple. Then again high level characters with freedom of movement and DR always throw a monkey wrench in the works

gooddragon1
2007-04-05, 12:11 PM
As explained in #417, even high level characters can't take on thousands, especially when surrounded and already injured. If they could, the OotS or Hinjo would just walk out the gate, chop up all the enemies nearby and walk back in.

Unless Belkar gets rescued or can make it to a gate PDQ, he's going to be worn down.

An 18th level Psion could
Infinite power points+Lots of AC buffs+Energy Burst+Swarm of Crystals+Vigor maximized

Vorais
2007-04-05, 12:13 PM
Since Hobgoblins aren't dumb, wouldn't it make more sense for them to grapple? Doesn't that use touch attack, which should be lower. They should be able to win an opposed strength roll.

Depends.. Each touch attack would allow an attack of opportunity. If Belkar has taken Combat Reflexes he would likely have the ability to make anywhere from 3-8 attacks pre round depending on his dex score before they could even try the opposed grapple check. I also believe he only is thinking of the moment and does not have a death wish. Moment 1: Kill Rogue and get this "curse" removed of of me. Moment 2: Hrm, Surrounded by Hobgoblins, kill time. There was no thought on his part what would happen once he was done with the killing the assassin, thus the comment that karma worked out to the good for him this time

Dabble
2007-04-05, 12:35 PM
The way I see it, Belkar had to throw the larcenist over the wall, because he could not have damged him sufficiently otherwise. The Mark of Justice would prevent that. Also, if he was still inside the city limits he could not have defended himself from the larcenist if he tried to overpower him with non lethal devices.

As far as the hobgoblins are concerned, right now Belkar is having the time of his life, he has not considered the fact that he is surrounded, heck, it's Christmas come early for him today. In a few strips he will see that he needs help, and will in all likelyhood get that assistance at some point.

Kreistor
2007-04-05, 12:37 PM
Large groups compromising high level characters is always fun, my personal favorite is everyone just joining into a grapple. Then again high level characters with freedom of movement and DR always throw a monkey wrench in the works

Something I've been facing in my own campaign. The Favoured Soul just took Freedom of Movement, and can cast it a lot. Thus, Grappling is a waste of time. But, then, the player knows Grappling is brutal, so he took it because he didn't want to face that problem.

Eldritch Knight
2007-04-05, 12:40 PM
Add the fact that he probably has Favored Enemy: Humans first, and Favoured Enemy: Goblinoids... He should be fine..

Problem is, he'll be praised as a hero for saving Hinjo's life.....

Krytha
2007-04-05, 12:43 PM
He does wish death upon others....

Jayabalard
2007-04-05, 12:46 PM
Problem is, he'll be praised as a hero for saving Hinjo's life..... Man, that is totally going to ruin his street cred; it may get him out of that last year of prison though.

SteveMB
2007-04-05, 12:58 PM
Problem is, he'll be praised as a hero for saving Hinjo's life.....
If anybody knows what he did. If somebody was looking (but not closely enough to see where Grand Larceny Guy was aiming), he might even look bad....

Black of Night
2007-04-05, 01:01 PM
Too bad he gave Roy is jumping ring....

Anyway, I'm sure someone will end up coming to his aid - eventually. It will probably be Roy.

Hiest, monkey
2007-04-05, 06:24 PM
can't figure out quote buttons yet.

"Hobgoblin 1 moves in and readies an action to attck Belkar when Hobgoblin 5 says, "Attack now!"

Belkar's AC isn't great. He doesn't have a shield. He hasn't been given any buffs by Durkon or V. So, we're looking at a Armour + Dex = 9 at best. Maybe he has Two Weapon Defense, but he's got so few feats and a penchant for the offensive, so that's unlikely. Size bonus gives +1 AC. So, we're looking at AC 20 or 21... maybe. At +9 attack, (BAB 1 +8 from aids) Belkar is going to take 1D8 damage almost eveyr other round, assuming Str 10-11 mooks. Belkar is going to have 8+12D8+1D12+13xCon HP, which will come out to a survival time of at least 14 rounds.

Belkar's got some time, but no, he can't stay out there indefinitely."

I believe that it is imposible to aide with an attack, a) no more than one person a square, and you can't attack while grappling, b) Burlew is smart, again he used to work for D&D, no aiding attacks, they are not a skill.

NeonRonin
2007-04-05, 07:23 PM
Despite the lack of buffs from Durkon, Belkar still has a few advantages- two-weapon fighting, improved rate of movement from the Barbarian class, at least a handful of bonus hp when he rages(not much of an advantage but better than none), and with any luck he has Favored Enemy(goblinoid) somewhere on his list. He may be outnumbered, but I get the sense he'll probably last a good long while before needing to hightail it to a safer location.

Don't forget, it took Miko a good long while to whittle away his hp, so if he can alternate his tactics and use his Small size to his advantage, he might just be able to leave a nice bloody swath in his wake.

I will admit, this does rely on him keeping some wits about him... and I am aware Belkar has a Wisdom score normally reserved for lemmings.

Still, I'm not countin' the Tasmanian Halfling out just yet.

cavalier973
2007-04-05, 09:04 PM
My understanding is that the MoJ keeps him from hurting people while
he's in the city. He had to push the guy off the wall in order to kill
him.

Reptilus
2007-04-05, 09:11 PM
D&D rules apply in actual D&D, not a comic based on it. He lives or dies based on Deus Ex Machina alone.

dragoncmd
2007-04-05, 09:35 PM
Of course Belkar has a death wish. Just not his own. However, he just has a low Wisdom* that prevents him from thinking his plans through very well.

**which required V to cast owls wisdom on him to use

Roderick_BR
2007-04-05, 09:38 PM
Yes. He wishes for other's deaths XD

Innis Cabal
2007-04-05, 09:43 PM
he isnt going to die, no one is going to die

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-05, 09:55 PM
Won't the hobs morale fail after belkar whacks enough of them and they'll retreat?

Also, maybe belkar copped some potions of V, I mean belkar usually does carry a potion or two, altho halley tends to steal them then act all hurt when belkar calls her on it.

Kajamakuji
2007-04-05, 10:11 PM
While I am new to the forum, I do believe I've seen the phrase used "Hobgoblins aren't dumb". I submit the following, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0192.html

NeonRonin
2007-04-05, 10:18 PM
While I am new to the forum, I do believe I've seen used the phrase "Hobgoblins aren't dumb". I submit the following, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0192.html

It's my considered opinion that anything with 'gob' in its name is inherently of a dubious intelligence.

(Gobstopper candies may be the exception- the ones with dubious intelligence are the people who try to chew a gobstopper, or swallow it whole.)

StoryKeeper
2007-04-05, 10:26 PM
Belkar can kill enough hobs to build himself a nice collection of hats (I know kobold's the norm, but why not branch out). Say what you will about hobgob intelligence, but when you see a halfling killing a few hundred of your best friends, you know to stay away.

Also, I pity the world if Belkar does die, because you can bet he's not gonna consider his business finished, and I doubt even the abyss could hold that little guy (hmm... Belkar meets linear guild chick in abyss?) He'd claw his way back as some sort of undead, and I really pitty the goblins that realize they can't cut incorporeal flesh.

Pvednes
2007-04-05, 10:29 PM
Belkar's wyrd already has death in his not-too-distant future, (see: the oracle's pseudoprophecising) so I don't see why not.

shadowkire
2007-04-05, 10:34 PM
actually if he can cut a bloody swath through the hobgoblins then he will be exposed to only two or three attacks per round. That would give him enough time to completely demoralize the hobbos and make them retreat.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-05, 10:37 PM
Won't the hobs morale fail after belkar whacks enough of them and they'll retreat?

Nope. I've heard of morale rules in 2.0, but they don't exist in 3.x, plus the hobgoblins have the wrath of Xykon and Redcloak to worry about if they attempt to flee.

shadowkire
2007-04-05, 10:41 PM
Nope. I've heard of morale rules in 2.0, but they don't exist in 3.x, plus the hobgoblins have the wrath of Xykon and Redcloak to worry about if they attempt to flee.

morale can be an assumed rule, if a PC killed 90 out of 100 goblins the DM (supposedly a logical thinker) would say the rest of the goblins flee.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-05, 10:48 PM
morale can be an assumed rule, if a PC killed 90 out of 100 goblins the DM (supposedly a logical thinker) would say the rest of the goblins flee.

Yes, that would make perfect sense, but I doubt Belkar will do enough damage to make the hobgoblin army flee. He could probably make them withdraw away from him. I wonder how Redcloak would react to that...

Lizard Lord
2007-04-05, 10:48 PM
Belkar would not be able to slash at Grand Larcen's arms, as I believe that counts as lethal damage. I believe the only things that don't count as lethal damage are unarmed strikes (unless you have the proper feat), saps, and maybe hitting them with the hilt of your weapon.

StoryKeeper
2007-04-05, 10:51 PM
Yes, that would make perfect sense, but I doubt Belkar will do enough damage to make the hobgoblin army flee. He could probably make them withdraw away from him. I wonder how Redcloak would react to that...

Zombification?:smallsmile:

Nightmarenny
2007-04-05, 10:53 PM
While I am new to the forum, I do believe I've seen the phrase used "Hobgoblins aren't dumb". I submit the following, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0192.htmlAnother important part of Hob's is there complete alliegence and utter military life style. Thats why they are willing to rush into battle with cracker shields.

Demented
2007-04-05, 11:58 PM
They aren't exactly rushing. =P
Only that one hobgoblin is showing any lack of foresight.

mockingbyrd7
2007-04-06, 12:55 AM
Belkar is not known for his careful thinking or attention to detail but his leap over the wall is rash even for him. Belkar is a good melee fighter but hobgoblins are not cowards and they will take him down, especially after his fall injury. Being dead is likely to cramp his preferred lifestyle. As Belkar needs Hinjo alive, surely he can just slash the arms of the larcenist archer to disrupt his aim and call for help. No one's going to trust Belkar but no one's going to trust the larcenist either and this should close opportunities for poisoned arrows in Hinjo's back.

So what's up with Belkar? He's resigned to his death and wants to go out in a blaze of glory?

How could he slash the larcenist's arms without leaping over the wall? Hacking at someone's arm with a sharp knife is generally considered lethal damage, which he can't do in a city. He technically left the city, and then killed the guy in midair. Mark of Justice, remember?

Now, I suppose he could have just pushed the larcenist (nonlethal damage)... at which point said larcenist would whirl around and, at point blank, fire a poisoned arrow into Belkar's face. Besides, why do something bland like push someone when you can do a badass leap off of a city wall and decapitate them in midair and land in a sea of hobgoblins?

Demented
2007-04-06, 01:31 AM
Besides, why do something bland like push someone when you can do a badass leap off of a city wall and decapitate them in midair and land in a sea of hobgoblins?

Also, it's a story.

If he doesn't land in a sea of hobgoblins, somebody else will.

tis_tom
2007-04-06, 02:45 AM
The problem is that even if Belkar DID defeat every single one of those hobgoblins in the area, Redcloak has just sent over clerics to raise them back up from the dead! Belkar is truly screwed unless he can get back inside the walls.

tis_tom
2007-04-06, 02:48 AM
Wait, what am I talking about- he has a Dashing Swordsman close by! While I'm sure Belkar didn't think this through, Elan.. might... save...

Ok fine Elan isn't nearly competant enough to help out like that.

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-06, 03:56 AM

Belkar's got some time, but no, he can't stay out there indefinitely.
It's entirely conceivable that his AC is in the upper 20s or even lower 30s, though it's unlikely. A +4 chain shirt is +8 to AC (if he hasn't got one under his shirt then it's probably studded leather, which isn't all that much lower), and then there's the standard protective items (ring, amulet, and so forth) and then there's his Dexterity, which is probably fairly high. No, he can't stay out there indefinitely, but you're giving his AC far too little credit for a high-level character.

warmachine
2007-04-06, 04:25 AM
How could he slash the larcenist's arms without leaping over the wall? Hacking at someone's arm with a sharp knife is generally considered lethal damage, which he can't do in a city. He technically left the city, and then killed the guy in midair. Mark of Justice, remember?

Now, I suppose he could have just pushed the larcenist (nonlethal damage)... at which point said larcenist would whirl around and, at point blank, fire a poisoned arrow into Belkar's face. Besides, why do something bland like push someone when you can do a badass leap off of a city wall and decapitate them in midair and land in a sea of hobgoblins?

Slashing an arm is not lethal damage because it is extremely unlikely to kill someone or cause great injury. Belkar can still inflict pain, such as knocking teeth out. Slashing an arm would just sting a lot, bleed a bit and leave some scars. If the Mark of Justice does not permit that, then Roy should get himself a dictionary.

As for not leaping off the wall in spectacular fashion, it will get him killed and Belkar only considers his interests. Can't enjoy a knife fight in a tavern if you're dead. More chance of staying alive and having the Mark removed in the future by calling for help and hurting the larcenist and hoping he won't do much when he's suddenly being watched.

Seraph
2007-04-06, 04:50 AM
Slashing an arm is not lethal damage because it is extremely unlikely to kill someone or cause great injury. Belkar can still inflict pain, such as knocking teeth out. Slashing an arm would just sting a lot, bleed a bit and leave some scars. If the Mark of Justice does not permit that, then Roy should get himself a dictionary.

As for not leaping off the wall in spectacular fashion, it will get him killed and Belkar only considers his interests. Can't enjoy a knife fight in a tavern if you're dead. More chance of staying alive and having the Mark removed in the future by calling for help and hurting the larcenist and hoping he won't do much when he's suddenly being watched.

Lethal damage is a type of damage in DnD. semantics are fail.

Bryn
2007-04-06, 04:51 AM
I think he means lethal damage as opposed to nonlethal damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm#nonlethalDamage), also known as 'subdual damage' in previous editions.

Edit: simu-ninjaed!

Arssanguinus
2007-04-06, 05:33 AM
The problem is that even if Belkar DID defeat every single one of those hobgoblins in the area, Redcloak has just sent over clerics to raise them back up from the dead! Belkar is truly screwed unless he can get back inside the walls.

Its possible the CLERIC is truly screwed. He has to come in range of Belkar to Animate, and at that range he might be a LITTLE distracted.

warmachine
2007-04-06, 09:33 AM
So, Belkar can punch someone's teeth out but he can't slash someone's arm with a knife so it hurts? Right.

Even if that is true, Belkar can resort to shouting and thumping the larcenist, which will disturb his aim and draw the attention of guards. This still has better survival odds than falling off high walls into thousands of hobgoblins. The question still remains: does Belkar have a deathwish?

The Pink Ninja
2007-04-06, 09:45 AM
He doesn't have a deathwish, he just doesn't fear death.

MaxKaladin
2007-04-06, 10:07 AM
Why does Belkar have to slice at arms or anything like that? All he needs to do is slice the bowstring or sunder the arrow or something like that while calling for help. Ok, that's not exactly Belkar's style but he could do it...

Arbitrarity
2007-04-06, 10:55 AM
Or... belkar can use his (assuming level 12) 6! attacks per round against the wall to decimate hobgoblins. He essentially one hits a goblin on every hit, so he can kill 5 within reach each round, minimum. He would get hit once every 4 rounds, for 1d8+1 or so, so after 50! rounds, 5 minutes, he's taken 70 damage or so. His HP is likely about 84 (assuming average rolls, 14 con), 106 when raging. However, in the meantime, he kills 250! hobgoblins. Admittedly, only 1/120 of the army, but in the meantime, he should be rescued. Furthermore, andyone who has Heroes of Battle knows 3.5 indeed has morale. Hobgoblins, all of you make a DC 20 will save to avoid running in terror from the halfling cutting you down at a rapid pace.

Telonius
2007-04-06, 11:04 AM
Belkar's wyrd already has death in his not-too-distant future, (see: the oracle's pseudoprophecising) so I don't see why not.

I think it would be just the opposite. He hasn't caused the death of Miko, the stupid horse, Roy, Vaarsuvius, or the Oracle; so he knows that he can't die yet. He's just having as much fun as he can until that happens.

Sky_Schemer
2007-04-06, 11:16 AM
he's an ranger 11 and barbarian 1, or very close to that. against cr 1/3 goblins. he'll annihilate them. though technically he won't get xp.

Of course he will. The CR for dozens or hundreds of hobgoblins is not the same as the CR for a single one. If anything, Belkar is in over his head (pun not intended) putting the CR for this encounter well above his level.

Thexare Blademoon
2007-04-06, 11:27 AM
So, Belkar can punch someone's teeth out but he can't slash someone's arm with a knife so it hurts? Right.
Yes, RAW, that is right.

It's about as screwed up as it sounds, really.

Free1983
2007-04-06, 11:31 AM
My understanding is that the MoJ keeps him from hurting people while
he's in the city. He had to push the guy off the wall in order to kill
him.

He didn't need to push the guy of the wall. In strip number 433 he kills a zombie, although he is standing on the edge of the wall. Don't know what this means for the whole "mark of justice" buisiness.

cheers

Arbitrarity
2007-04-06, 12:00 PM
CR of 6 hobgoblins: 3

CR of 192 hobgoblins: 13.

CR of 384 hobgoblins: 15.

etc.

The zombie can be killed because he can't deal lethal damage to a living creature within the bounds of a city.

Aegeus
2007-04-06, 12:11 PM
I believe that it is imposible to aide with an attack, a) no more than one person a square, and you can't attack while grappling, b) Burlew is smart, again he used to work for D&D, no aiding attacks, they are not a skill.

Yes, you can aid another on attacks, and yes they do stack I direct your attention to the 3.5 SRD.

In melee combat, you can help a friend attack or defend by distracting or interfering with an opponent. If you’re in position to make a melee attack on an opponent that is engaging a friend in melee combat, you can attempt to aid your friend as a standard action. You make an attack roll against AC 10. If you succeed, your friend gains either a +2 bonus on his next attack roll against that opponent or a +2 bonus to AC against that opponent’s next attack (your choice), as long as that attack comes before the beginning of your next turn. Multiple characters can aid the same friend, and similar bonuses stack.

QED. The Belkster is going to get stabbed repeatedly.

Duke of URL
2007-04-06, 12:14 PM
Does Belkar have a deathwish?

Yes. He wishes that all of those hobgoblins will meet death. By his hand.

Fighteer
2007-04-06, 12:23 PM
QED. The Belkster is going to get stabbed repeatedly.
That's an interesting idea, but it relies on the hobgoblins being smart and coordinated enough to use Aid Another actions rather than mindlessly slash at him. Generally a DM doesn't have his NPCs do this unless he really has it in for the PCs in question, or there's a very smart NPC boss telling the grunt soldiers what to do.

The fact of the matter is that, unless he can make the hobgoblins fail a morale check, he's going to get killed sooner or later out there. The fun part is that he's not likely to care unless he gets seriously low on hit points. And who's to say that he doesn't have a healing potion or two up his sleeve?

kpenguin
2007-04-06, 12:26 PM
I think it would be just the opposite. He hasn't caused the death of Miko, the stupid horse, Roy, Vaarsuvius, or the Oracle; so he knows that he can't die yet. He's just having as much fun as he can until that happens.

Who says he has to kill one of them before he dies? I could easily see him be raised by Redcloak and sent on a zombie-halfing ramapage.

Fighteer
2007-04-06, 12:31 PM
Who says he has to kill one of them before he dies? I could easily see him be raised by Redcloak and sent on a zombie-halfing ramapage.
He'd make a pretty squishy 2 HD zombie - they don't keep class levels when they are animated.

Nightmarenny
2007-04-06, 12:33 PM
He'd make a pretty squishy 2 HD zombie - they don't keep class levels when they are animated.Their are any number of undead he could be turned into. Vampire, death knight, so on. I think everyone is expecting all the propheci to happen far to soon. We still have two more gate where something happens.

battleburn
2007-04-06, 12:37 PM

They forgot all that happened except the prophecies themselves. So he knows he is gonna cause the death of one of those. But perhaps that already happened. Giving Roy the ring made him directly confront Xykon. He has no insurence whatsoever that he is gonna survive the battle. Besides, there is the Belkar turns to zombie and kills someone possibillity.
But he did forget that he isn't gonna live very long. He doesn't have that drawback.

I don't think Belkar has a deathwish, but he sure doesn't care much. He thinks he is gonna be resurrected by his team anyway.

Fighteer
2007-04-06, 12:40 PM
Their are any number of undead he could be turned into. Vampire, death knight, so on. I think everyone is expecting all the propheci to happen far to soon. We still have two more gate where something happens.
Create undead and create greater undead both have a casting time of one hour, rendering them slightly impractical for battlefield use. Seeing Belkar as a spectre or mohrg would be pretty funny, though (I'm assuming Redcloak is around 18th level).

FYI, vampires and death knights aren't on the list of undead that can created with SRD spells, but Redcloak is using some supplemental rulebooks, so I guess anything goes.

Nightmarenny
2007-04-06, 12:42 PM
Create undead and create greater undead both have a casting time of one hour, rendering them slightly impractical for battlefield use. Seeing Belkar as a spectre or mohrg would be pretty funny, though (I'm assuming Redcloak is around 18th level).

FYI, vampires and death knights aren't on the list of undead that can created with SRD spells, but Redcloak is using some supplemental rulebooks, so I guess anything goes.Yeah him fighting as an undead in this fight is impractical. However he could always come back later.

silvadel
2007-04-06, 01:09 PM
I wonder what kind of undead a stabbity halfling would come back as....

Thinks of the discussion that xykon had over draining miko below 0-level.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-04-06, 02:59 PM
Well...as many of you say he does have a death wish. Just on other peple, preferably V, Roy, Miko, her stupid horse or the Oracle, but HEY! Any port in a storm right. It's all fun to him.

CharlieRock
2007-04-06, 03:05 PM
And if Belkar gets worn down, and dies. Then no one will know it was Kubota that hired that guy to shoot Hinjo.

RusVal
2007-04-06, 03:32 PM
Belkar? Fear death?

"I do not fear death, for I AM DEATH INCARNATE!" comes to mind when I think of belkar. That and "Run, my pretty little chunks of XP, RUN!"

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-06, 04:26 PM
Well, of course he has a deathwish. Death to his enemies is his fondest wish, so.....

Roderick_BR
2007-04-06, 04:58 PM
That's an interesting idea, but it relies on the hobgoblins being smart and coordinated enough to use Aid Another actions rather than mindlessly slash at him. Generally a DM doesn't have his NPCs do this unless he really has it in for the PCs in question, or there's a very smart NPC boss telling the grunt soldiers what to do.

The fact of the matter is that, unless he can make the hobgoblins fail a morale check, he's going to get killed sooner or later out there. The fun part is that he's not likely to care unless he gets seriously low on hit points. And who's to say that he doesn't have a healing potion or two up his sleeve?
Hobgoblins do have the military mentality for this sort of thing. If they had a good field commander, they certainly would use better siege and group combat techniques.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-06, 06:24 PM
Why does Belkar have to slice at arms or anything like that? All he needs to do is slice the bowstring or sunder the arrow or something like that while calling for help. Ok, that's not exactly Belkar's style but he could do it...

Then he's got an angry Grand Larceny Guy with a poisoned arrow. Arrows aren't the most effective improvised melee weapons, but he only has to jab it into Belkar once to poison him (remember, it's strong enough to harm Hinjo, so it would probably work on Belkar).

Reptilus
2007-04-06, 11:02 PM
Also, it's a story.

If he doesn't land in a sea of hobgoblins, somebody else will.
I was going to say that landing in a sea of hobgoblins doesn't happen in every story, but I just got the part in Crime and Punishment where Raskolnikov makes a nihilistic rant when he's about to be killed by a sea of hobgoblins, so my arguments were pretty much shot down.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-06, 11:06 PM
i see belkar getting all the way to Redcloak and kicking his butt

Fighteer
2007-04-07, 08:34 AM
i see belkar getting all the way to Redcloak and kicking his butt
I see Belkar getting all the way to Redcloak and then being taken out by a low level spell that attacks his Will save.

If it really comes down to that though, Redcloak has merely to unleash the MitD on him - if Miko couldn't get through its DR, Belkar doesn't stand a snowflake's chance in the Nine Hells.