PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about being paralyzed

kulosle
2015-02-05, 07:28 AM
So recently in a campaign i got paralyzed because i rolled a 1 on a save (hold monster). Having high enough saves i wasn't too worried about it and had no immunity to it (also couldn't afford it without gimping my character 12th level campaign).

I started to look at how to remove it. since our cleric didn't have remove paralysis or freedom of movement prepared what other spells might be able to do it. None of the restorations do it, heal doesn't do it. And a preliminary search suggests that no spell besides the two mentioned do it. This being said freedom of movement is a usually something everyone tries to get but before that happens, is paralysis just the worst condition. I know that dazed is next to impossible to be immune to but it usually only last a round, and you aren't helpless, and. Cause lets face it, no one is going to prepare remove paralysis. It's just way too narrow. And if you are the only divine caster well you're screwed.

Next I started looking for a spell that had no verbal or somatic components. I had none such prepared. Does anyone know of any spells that have no such restrictions. Interestingly enough though a party member of mine did have an item granting them shadow jaunt. Shadow jaunt isn't a maneuver, strike, counter, or stance it's just called (teleport). We don't know what rules it follows and whether or not it is a purely mental action. Also can you activate items while paralyzed like the anklet of translocation?

Anyone else have problems with paralysis? Anyone able to clue me in (maybe i'm just being a giant noob right now)? Impute would be great.

nyjastul69
2015-02-05, 07:39 AM
Dispel magic and break enchantment should work as well. Are there casters that have access to DM and don't choose it?

HammeredWharf
2015-02-05, 07:40 AM
Luckily, paralysis is pretty rare early on. As nyjastul pointed out, you can remove magical paralysis with a Dispel.

Next I started looking for a spell that had no verbal or somatic components. I had none such prepared. Does anyone know of any spells that have no such restrictions.

They're few. However, all psionic powers are mental actions that don't require movement.

Interestingly enough though a party member of mine did have an item granting them shadow jaunt. Shadow jaunt isn't a maneuver, strike, counter, or stance it's just called (teleport). We don't know what rules it follows and whether or not it is a purely mental action.

Shadow Jaunt is a maneuver. It's listed under maneuvers in ToB, and as such requires the ability to move.

kulosle
2015-02-05, 07:42 AM
okay my whole party feels stupid now.

okay so the only real problem is with non spell versions of paralysis which is really rare.

Wacky89
2015-02-05, 07:47 AM
I might be wrong but getting immunity to paralysis wouldnt that break the paralysis?
Draconic Might (Wiz 5/Pala 4)

Wacky89
2015-02-05, 07:49 AM
okay my whole party feels stupid now.

okay so the only real problem is with non spell versions of paralysis which is really rare.

I wouldn't say really rare, I mean something as simple as a ghoul/ghast.

kulosle
2015-02-05, 07:51 AM
You are correct sir wacky thank you. I'm still really surprised that restoration or heal doesn't do it. Dazed is removed by heal, you'd imagine paralysis would be.

Crake
2015-02-05, 08:16 AM
The dragon type grants immunity to paralysis, so a polymorph spell would work. It has the benefit of being a great utility spell at the same time, so always good to have prepared for when you need it.

kulosle
2015-02-05, 08:19 AM
You are correct, polymorph too good. So this is the true use of still and silent spells?

atemu1234
2015-02-05, 08:20 AM
The dragon type grants immunity to paralysis, so a polymorph spell would work. It has the benefit of being a great utility spell at the same time, so always good to have prepared for when you need it.

As if the playground needed another reason to love DW Kobolds.

ericgrau
2015-02-05, 08:24 AM
Buy the cleric 2-3 scrolls of remove paralysis so you don't have to worry about him having it prepared. 150 gp x 2-3 and done. And he'll use it like, what, 2-3 times in the whole campaign?

Also iron heart surge.

I don't like dispel for a single negative condition because there's a chance of failure so the caster ends up trading possibly multiple actions with the foe. It's better when used against 3+ spells at once. Amassing a med kit of cheap scrolls for the cleric is usually the better way, with dispel as a backup in case something obscure comes up.

Then there's heart of water (spell compendium) to get freedom of movement except better (action-wise), arcane and lower level. Level 4 I think but I forget.

Firest Kathon
2015-02-05, 08:56 AM
If you have high saves, you should get rid of it on the next round, so most likely you just lose one round.

Each round on its turn, the subject may attempt a new saving throw to end the effect. (This is a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.)

Each round on its turn, the subject may attempt a new saving throw to end the effect. This is a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
From the descriptions of Hold (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holdPerson.htm) Person (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hold-person), on which Hold (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holdMonster.htm) Monster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hold-monster) is based.

JDL
2015-02-05, 09:01 AM
The nastiest part about paralysis is that it gives the target the Helpless condition, making them perfect for a coup-de-grace the next attack. If you have a troublesome PC in your campaign, throw a half dozen ghouls at them. One is bound to fail their save, and the rest can instakill them.

As others have said, this is why you are nice with your cleric and buy them cheap scrolls of situational spells.

HammeredWharf
2015-02-05, 09:45 AM
Also iron heart surge.

Since it's a maneuver, by RAW IHS can't be used while paralyzed.

ericgrau
2015-02-05, 09:49 AM
Oops. I never tried to fully understand IHS. Too many ifs.

Besides dispel magic, mass resurgence is another nice general purpose fixer for the cleric, as-is panacea at higher level.

nyjastul69
2015-02-06, 06:48 AM
The spell Panacea from SC removes paralysis as well as other conditions.

Milo v3
2015-02-06, 08:07 AM
Since it's a maneuver, by RAW IHS can't be used while paralyzed.

Iron Heart Surge, can remove gravity but not paralysis.

Darrin
2015-02-06, 08:19 AM
Essence of the dragon (Races of the Dragon, Sor 2) can give you the dragon type and make you immune to sleep/paralysis.

If it's hold person/hold monster specifically, protection from evil will suppress the compulsion effect. Shape Soulmeld: Planar Ward offers something similar as a feat. Edit: Never mind, I misread protection from evil.

Deophaun
2015-02-06, 09:34 AM
If it's hold person/hold monster specifically, protection from evil will suppress the compulsion effect. Shape Soulmeld: Planar Ward offers something similar as a feat.
It's unlikely that hold person qualifies as effect that grants ongoing control "such as dominate person."

Khedrac
2015-02-06, 10:10 AM
The spell Panacea from SC removes paralysis as well as other conditions.

And the beauty of this is it means that Renewal Pact will also remove it - and can be pre-cast days in advance...

nyjastul69
2015-02-06, 01:25 PM
And the beauty of this is it means that Renewal Pact will also remove it - and can be pre-cast days in advance...

Interestingly, the Renewal Pact I just read doesn't trigger with paralyzation, nor does it with a few things that Panacea removes.